• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Hello PLEASE HELP! - Stem Cell Questions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jessy_Hoo

• Guest, F@H
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:32 AM

My name is Jessy; I'm 25 years old, married with one CRAZY AWESOME 3 year old. I'm a first year college student in VA – I know, I know 25 and JUST NOW going to college; Hey I say better late than never right!

So, here is my issue….

I'm currently working on a Biology project about Stem Cells, and I want to make sure I'm getting this right.

:) This is what I'm getting PLEASE let me know if I'm going in the right/wrong direction?

What is a Stem Cell and What do they do?
Stem cells have the ability to copy themselves through mitosis, as well as the ability to transform into specialized cells. These specialized cells include bone, cartilage, muscle, gut, and nerves

So, cell life begins with the fertilization of an egg by sperm. This fertilized egg is now termed as an embryo…..

Here are my questions:

1. Is an embryo basically a stem cell? If no, then where is the stem cell produced?

2. What makes the stem cell transform into the specialized cells?

3. Can Stem cells reach Hayflick limit?

#2 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

1. Is an embryo basically a stem cell? If no, then where is the stem cell produced?

2. What makes the stem cell transform into the specialized cells?

3. Can Stem cells reach Hayflick limit?

Welcome to Imminst Jessy. I hope you'll find lots of interesting things here.

Sometimes finding an answer is a matter of knowing the right word to search for. From Wikipedia:

The blastocyst consists of two primary cell lines:

• the inner cell mass, also known as the "embryoblast"
  • the trophoblast
The former is the source of embryonic stem cells and gives rise to all later structures of the adult organism. The latter combines with the maternal endometrium to form the placenta in eutherian mammals.

Here's a good diagram showing the names embryologists use to describe the developing organism at each stage:
Posted Image

Zygote, morula, blastocyst and embryo are the main ones I still remember from embryology.

Biological immortality is another link that might have some answers for you.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Jessy_Hoo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

Wow thanks! This diagram really helps! From the research I've gathered I've come up with the idea that it doesn't start being a "fetus" until about 5 days after the egg is fertilized (support: via diagram where it says "hatching" on day 6 - 7. I'm wondering now - Is that when the hormone (I can't remember the name of it I think its like HgC or something like that) used to detect pregnancy begins to be produced?

I've been all over wiki, however most of my professors say that it's not a "reliable source." My theory is no one source is ever a truly reliable source: So, I say Trust Nothing Prove Everything! :~

Again, Thanks for the direction! :~

Edited by Jessy_Hoo, 07 November 2008 - 07:22 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 A_FITZ

• 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

Wow thanks! This diagram really helps! From the research I've gathered I've come up with the idea that it doesn't start being a "fetus" until about 5 days after the egg is fertilized (support: via diagram where it says "hatching" on day 6 - 7. I'm wondering now - Is that when the hormone (I can't remember the name of it I think its like HgC or something like that) used to detect pregnancy begins to be produced?

I've been all over wiki, however most of my professors say that it's not a "reliable source." My theory is no one source is ever a truly reliable source: So, I say Trust Nothing Prove Everything! :)

Again, Thanks for the direction! :)

Yes, and hopefully Stem Cell Research becomes legal again in the US, once Obama goes into office of 2009. He supports Stem Cell Research as stated on his site.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 wiserd

• 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yes, and hopefully Stem Cell Research becomes legal again in the US, once Obama goes into office of 2009. He supports Stem Cell Research as stated on his site.

This is misleading on several counts. First, Embryonic stem cell(ESC) research was never 'illegal.' Bush restricted federal funding (technically there were 20 acceptable, established ESC lines. However they were contaminated and unusable) however many private organizations continued doing ESC research based on private funding. As Bastiat commented over 150 years ago, if the government refused to grow corn, people would accuse it of wanting people to starve.

Second, ESCs have proven to not be nearly as useful in 90% of applications as Adult Stem cells. ESCs are almost indistinguishable from cancer, whereas adult stem cells don't have that problem. Also, Adult Stem Cells are things that every person has within them at all times. A recent breakthrough by a privately funded group in Japan has allowed Adult Stem Cells to become effectively totipotent.

For all the carping about how federal refusal to fund ESCs would let important therapies go undiscovered, it turns out that the ban may actually have put the US ahead of the game, since the NIH focused on areas which have turned out to be more productive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users