- - - - -

Sunday Evening Update December 7th, 5pm CST, 23:00 GMT

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

On the Sunday Evening Update this year we have heard from artificial intelligence luminaries and techno enthusiasts such as Eliezer Yudkowsky, Hugo De Garis, Michael Anissimov, Peter Warwick, and Christine Peterson. Now this Sunday you can get the latest from Novamente founder Ben Geortzel. Many of you might be familiar with Novamente as the company that drew Bruce Klein (founder of Imminst) into the AGI field. Bruce joined Novamente because he considered AGI the fastest route to achieving immortality. Ben Goertzel has been one of the more aggressive prognosticators when it come to the arrival of true AGI - at one time predicting we could see it within 5 years - if we try "really really hard".

Tune in to the Sunday Evening Update to get the latest AGI prediction from Ben. Find out how fast the Novamente cognition engine is developing. Plus much more!

Attached Files

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

Ben Goertzel presentation at 2005 Imminst conference.

#3 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Here is an interesting interview from 2007 where Ben discusses AI and AGI.

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

Im going to try to be sure to help promote this one for 2 hours before it starts. If anybody else wants to help then indicate your interest here. If you plan on being there then indicate that here too.

#5 Guest_advancdaltruist_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

On the Sunday Evening Update this year we have heard from artificial intelligence luminaries and techno enthusiasts such as Eliezer Yudkowsky, Hugo De Garis, Michael Anissimov, Peter Warwick, and Christine Peterson. Now this Sunday you can get the latest from Novamente founder Ben Geortzel. Many of you might be familiar with Novamente as the company that drew Bruce Klein (founder of Imminst) into the AGI field. Bruce joined Novamente because he considered AGI the fastest route to achieving immortality. Ben Goertzel has been one of the more aggressive prognosticators when it come to the arrival of true AGI - at one time predicting we could see it within 5 years - if we try "really really hard".

Tune in to the Sunday Evening Update to get the latest AGI prediction from Ben. Find out how fast the Novamente cognition engine is developing. Plus much more!

Awesome. I'll be there.

Unlike Hugo de Garis, Ben Goertzel is certainly not a lunatic.

This should be good!

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:31 AM

Awesome. I'll be there.

This should be good!

Except that deGaris isnt a lunatic either. Great new thoughts dont usually come from the centricity of thought, they come from the eccentricity. Pioneers and conformists, Ill take a wacky pioneer over a stale conformist any day.

#7 Guest_advancdaltruist_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

Awesome. I'll be there.

This should be good!

Except that deGaris isnt a lunatic either. Great new thoughts dont usually come from the centricity of thought, they come from the eccentricity. Pioneers and conformists, Ill take a wacky pioneer over a stale conformist any day.

We already had this conversation: http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25192

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

Awesome. I'll be there.

This should be good!

We already had this conversation: http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25192

I know, and we can have it again if people want to continue to distort the reputations of contributors of progressive thought with ad hominem attacks.

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

Yes, no need to rehash the De Garis discussion.

Let us focus on this week's guest. If you cannot attend the live show, please present questions in this forum and I will ask Dr. Goertzel during the interview.

#10 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

Coincidentally I'm teaching a bunch of middle school students about AI and AGI today :-) I'll try to attend with my son on Sunday.

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

A Funny Goertzel Interview with Minx

This one was discussed before here at Imminst. I thought Ben was pretty funny and handled it well.

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

My standard question for all of these AI researchers is "when will we see some benefit for anti-aging research?". I mean, sure, AGI could solve a lot of problems in a big hurry, but who knows when it will be developed. Ben thinks perhaps within 5 years. I doubt it. I want to know how AI is being applied tomorrow and the next day, and if there are any projects we should be supporting (besides Novamente of course).

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

Im wondering what kind of vision they have for making computers self improve themself. Ive seen all his video that you have looping in ustream (the imminst broadcast channel and chat for anybody that doesnt know) I dont see what their vision is. Like, he says that they cant even grasp the workings of cockroaches brain. I wonder stuff like if they have some kind of dynamic investigation of some simple neural networks under way as they parallel with AI. I imagine they must but havent seen it that I can remember.

When we learn apparently new connections grow in our brains, and the more the path ways are used the more worn in, like a groove in a record, I imagine, they get, right? Can computers simulate that very closely?

#14 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

My standard question for all of these AI researchers is "when will we see some benefit for anti-aging research?". I mean, sure, AGI could solve a lot of problems in a big hurry, but who knows when it will be developed. Ben thinks perhaps within 5 years. I doubt it. I want to know how AI is being applied tomorrow and the next day, and if there are any projects we should be supporting (besides Novamente of course).

if developed, I'm wondering how AI will be applied immediately to LE/anti-aging too! how it will help human or will it want to?? I'd like to know if the AI will be friendly and FULLY under our control or might he/she/it evolve too fast and outstrip even the collective effort of humanity, which seems unlikely and the Terminator movies/Connor Chronicle shows are more science fiction than fact.

#15 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

Im watching the video of Goertzl with "the zone" in the background. I guess I dont remember seeing this one before. It seems to go more in depth on that stuff I mentioned in my last response here.

Mind, you say you dont see it happening in five years, I get the impression that once it does it will be like going from zero to light speed in a year. Maybe not the singularity, but vastly improved systems. I always have the penny doubling effect in the back of my head to parallel to this. If you double a penny every day for a month it will end up being over a billion dollars. They seem to only have about 5 cents right now, but I wouldnt doubt they could be alot more advanced than they are now any year now.

#16 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

The Philosophy group I'm a member of had a session on Immortality today :-D , so I went and had fun discussing the topics we all do around here (but yeah, it was boring, because well--we do go further with creativity --it was interesting to see the normal responses and ideas though). I passed out the nice laminated Immortality Institute cards, there were 15 people--some might come. We also had a session on ethics and computer/AGI ethics came up--the speaker did an overview of the basics of a neural network AI system. I mentioned our guest coincidentally for tomorrow's Sunday Evening chat :-D I hope some will come check us out :)

#17 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

Ben's Google Tech Talk from 2007. He starts out with a discussion about AI discovering what genes are involved in CR. I am wondering how Biomind (a Novamente project) is doing nowadays. Is it being used actively to solve aging problems?

#18 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

The Ustream text chat is down this morning. I checked the Ustream message board and apparently they are performing a hardware upgrade - which started last night December 6th. Hopefully the chat will be restored by the start of the program - 5pm (23:00 GMT). If not, the show will go on and you will have to ask your questions here in the forum (before or during the show).

#19 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

3 hours before the show and the chat is still down. Ustream support said the chat would be up "soon". We'll see.

#20 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Looks like the chat is back now.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hopefully a lot of people show up. Will you, imminst members, be there? Indicate it here to show support.

#22 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

I'll be there in spirit. I can't participate, however, because I made some plans with family weeks ago. We're going to see Fidler on the Roof - an agreement that I now regret making. Anyway, I'll be around. I usually hang out in the chat room all day even if I'm not at my computer. Hopefully there will be more people there during non-meeting times as well to encourage open-ended communication between members.

#23 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

starting now

#24 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

Interview completed. Direct link here, (and yes I am aware of the pre-caching problem, we intend to host the videos at Imminst servers eventually).

It was interesting and informative as always. Dr. Goertzel is very good at clearly explaining the topic of AGI research and related fields. He sounded a little pessimistic about how the economy is going to affect AGI and related research. The main problem, in his opinion is paying a large number of qualified experts. Getting government or other grant money is very difficult. I asked him how Imminst could help out and it boiled down to advocacy and lobbying for the most part. He also suggested that perhaps a lot of the brilliant members here at Imminst could go back to school while the economy is crappy and get degrees in AI, comp sci, neuroscience, and the like. Then when the economy turns around, there will be a new cadre of researchers to attack the problem of AGI and the money to back them.

I also asked him if Hugo De Garis is a lunatic, as some people are adamant about. He said no, just eccentric. Ben is actually traveling to China next year to work with Hugo on evolved AI systems (at least for a couple months).

#25 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

Interview completed. Direct link here, (and yes I am aware of the pre-caching problem, we intend to host the videos at Imminst servers eventually).

It was interesting and informative as always. Dr. Goertzel is very good at clearly explaining the topic of AGI research and related fields. He sounded a little pessimistic about how the economy is going to affect AGI and related research. The main problem, in his opinion is paying a large number of qualified experts. Getting government or other grant money is very difficult. I asked him how Imminst could help out and it boiled down to advocacy and lobbying for the most part. He also suggested that perhaps a lot of the brilliant members here at Imminst could go back to school while the economy is crappy and get degrees in AI, comp sci, neuroscience, and the like. Then when the economy turns around, there will be a new cadre of researchers to attack the problem of AGI and the money to back them.

I also asked him if Hugo De Garis is a lunatic, as some people are adamant about. He said no, just eccentric. Ben is actually traveling to China next year to work with Hugo on evolved AI systems (at least for a couple months).

Mind, thank you so much for your work. It really means a lot to me personally to be able to access these revolutionary thinkers. Sorry I was a little cryptic in my question; I thank you for putting it out there though. It really has helped me. I'm gonna bounce this paper off of Ben, and hopefully I'll be able to release my work in greater detail. Ben talked about how difficult it is to work on these problems facing such broad public skepticism. It's even more difficult for me, because I don't have any advanced degrees... or money... ImmInst has been my saving grace.

I know I've said this before, but I discovered this site (and transhumanism) through Ben. We have such a great community here, and you're absolutely correct that we have an immeasurably useful resource in the ingenuity of this community.

If you're reading this and haven't listened to the interview, stop all processes and watch the tape! Ben, in my humble opinion, is one of the most level-headed guys in this movement, and his perspective is worth careful consideration.

#26 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:55 AM

I asked the age-old question as to why AGI has not been developed yet - what is the main stumbling block? He said it boiled down to software and manpower. I said, there are a lot of people working on it already, and he responded with a comparison to MS Vista - saying there were thousands of people with lots of money working on Vista for years and it still turned out like crap. So in effect, creating AGI is more challenging (than Vista) and thus will probably take a while yet.

#27 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

I asked the age-old question as to why AGI has not been developed yet - what is the main stumbling block? He said it boiled down to software and manpower. I said, there are a lot of people working on it already, and he responded with a comparison to MS Vista - saying there were thousands of people with lots of money working on Vista for years and it still turned out like crap. So in effect, creating AGI is more challenging (than Vista) and thus will probably take a while yet.

yeah i got a new laptop. since i was folding a bit too eagerly on old one and my old laptop finally croaked, tho it's fixed now and i gave it to a family member. all the new laptops they sell are Vista only and i couldn't find XP, so got Vista. Some fxns are nice, but mostly unimpressed. I don't want to downgrade things tho, but w/ my machine's specs, running XP would be super fast and efficient.

i got tired w/ some Vista annoyances, but i hear it's safer, more secure, and hard to crack into. this time i'm also careful to load it w/ anti-virus softwares and stuff beforehand.

If AGI occurs, if we transform, if humans merge w/ "machines" , if we have BC-interface, then we'd need good engineers to make those things un-crappy so as to not infect our brains w/ viruses or be taken over by others

#28 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

we'd need good engineers to make those things un-crappy so as to not infect our brains w/ viruses or be taken over by others

I guess you haven't heard of the God meme. :-P

#29 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Mind, how do I find the identify the older interviews on your ustream channel?

I can't find them.

#30 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Go to the Sunday Evening Update page and scroll down to the bottom see the saved videos, there are 6 pages of them. Ben's interview is currently on page 2. When you hover your mouse over the video you will get a description of what it was all about. A couple posats above this one there is a direct link to the video as well.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   86.35KB   13 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   91.56KB   10 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users