Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Lots of dental surgery coming up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Natascha

• 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

After a life time of taking care of my teeth, brushing at least twice a day and making sure to get some flossing in, it appears I'm having severe dental problems. My left cheek was swelling and it was tender/painful to touch yesterday so I went to see my dentist. It didn't go well.

I had to have a molar pulled (couldn't be saved apparently), and I have 4 wisdom teeth extractions, 2 root canals,3 fillings and an abscess drain scheduled for the week ahead (canals first then extractions and then fillings). I had my routine dental checkup 6 months ago and everything was fine so I don't understand how all these problems could just appear since then.

I think I am going to blame genetics. I don't remember much of my father (he hasn't really been in my life since I was a child) but my mother has told me that he too had severe dental even with good dental care and since dental tech wasn't what it was now, he had to have all of his teeth pulled. Really sucks because it seems like I'm doomed to problems for a very long time.

I guess what I am asking is, besides flossing and brushing, is there anything else I can do to strengthen my teeth and gums? I do not consume acidic substances like pops and I do currently get enough calcium in my diet so that part isn't a problem. Also are there any supplements I can take after all these surgeries to speed recovery? My dentist has pretty much said I am doomed to fruit juice for at least 10 days...nice.

Thanks a bunch :)

<<completely ignorant when it comes to supplements btw!

#2 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

I'm not able to tell from what you posted if your problems are related to decay of the teeth (cavities) or advanced periodontal disease? Knowing more about the condition of your mouth would be helpful in making recommendations. Do you already have lots of existing restorations - crowns, fillings, bridges, inlays, onlays, etc.? How effective is your flossing technique? Have you ever used a plaque indicator before commencing your oral hygiene routine to see what areas are effectively being cleaned and which are not?

#3 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

well Im sure drinking something like a whey protein shake is a good source of protein if you can't really eat, and it contains lactoferrin which can kill organisms responsible for tooth decay so good to use long term. Vitamin D3 seems to be important in dental health, it was found a while back that people who had rickets or low levels of vitamin D experienced many more dental problems, especially abscesses. There are other things like Dry mouth which can cause dental problems too.

I don't know what can help with healing, I suppose drinking warm green tea could help with the inflammation and healing. Last time I had a tooth pulled the dentist told me I'd need a strong pain killer for the day. In the end I never took the pain killer and had hardly no pain or swelling at all lol. Can't pinpoint what helped though.

Edited by Matt, 06 January 2009 - 07:29 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

well Im sure drinking something like a whey protein shake is a good source of protein if you can't really eat, and it contains lactoferrin which can kill organisms responsible for tooth decay so good to use long term. Vitamin D3 seems to be important in dental health, it was found a while back that people who had rickets or low levels of vitamin D experienced many more dental problems, especially abscesses. There are other things like Dry mouth which can cause dental problems too.

Yeah, D3 is good for dental health.
I might add K2 (Preferably Mk-4, menatetronone) to that.

K2 also helps with dental health. There have been anecdotal experiences of reduced
plaque after using K2.

D3+K2 together help with bone formation and arterial health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users