• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have tips to make the eyes whiter?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 bigsend

• 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

I would like to find a way to get my eyes really white. Since yellowing is caused by bilirubin and bilirubin is broken down by glucuronidation in the liver, I have been trying to find ways to boost that. So far I have tried NAC, milk thistle, taurine, glucuronolactone, drinking lots of fluids, MSM, and B vitamins. Nothing has helped as much as drinking a lot of water when I wake up in the morning, and the rest dont have noticable effects. I would want to avoid redness eye drops since they are not so healthy long term.

How can I ensure that when I take a trip to space and come back to future Earth, when the apes capture me they nickname me "Brighteyes?"

#2 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

Tattooing?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:52 AM

Tattooing?

Funny you should mention this. Tonight, I came across a show on cable about people undergoing procedures to alter their bodies in extreme or unorthodox ways. One young man whose face was already covered with several striking tatoos and piercings planned to get the whites of his eyes tatooed BLACK! (His mother was fine with the idea, as long as at least one of his eyes still had vision afterwards.) The tatoo artist had successfully done the procedure on pigs, and this was to be his first human recipient. The preview before a commercial break showed a needle loaded up with black dye ready to inject into the eye. I decided that I didn't really need to see this and changed the channel--but I assume the procedure was a "success".

About making eyes whiter, Visine is supposed to get the red out. http://www.visine.com/ I think it accomplishes this by constricting the eyes' blood vessels. Also--getting enough sleep always helps me.

Edited by luminous, 06 January 2009 - 07:56 AM.

#4 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:32 AM

About making eyes whiter, Visine is supposed to get the red out. http://www.visine.com/ I think it accomplishes this by constricting the eyes' blood vessels. Also--getting enough sleep always helps me.

Visine is NOT for long-term use. I'd really like to know of something that did successfully whiten the eyes because it would raise the threshold of how white teeth could be bleached without it appearing weird. I did some more searching and this article was the most useful thing I came up with.

It would be possible to tattoo the white of the eye, the sclera. I would not do it on a sighted eye because any time you tattoo the surface of tissue, you risk infection. On a fully sighted eye, it would not be worth the risk to do something like that. What about a custom contact lens to accomplish [this]?

#5 bigsend

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:14 AM

Haha, if I were to tattoo my eyes, I would be sure to use UV reactive ink so I would look like Riddick at a rave.

No one has nutritional methods to get the eyes whiter?

#6 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

Haha, if I were to tattoo my eyes, I would be sure to use UV reactive ink so I would look like Riddick at a rave.

No one has nutritional methods to get the eyes whiter?

Have you tried l-lysine? I take it primarily for herpes, but it helps with bloodshot eyes as well.

#7 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

Visine is NOT for long-term use. I'd really like to know of something that did successfully whiten the eyes because it would raise the threshold of how white teeth could be bleached without it appearing weird.

why is visine not for long-term ? I know it may backfire, but other than that, why, does it cause harms? diseases? are any eyedrops for longterm use (say many months, years)?

by long-term, I mean long term but relatively infrequent use, such as for blood-shot, dryness, irritation, itchness, the sensation of foreign body or sand particle trapped up in the back/up the eye especially when you pluck your eyelids up and down a few times (I find contact lens relieve this last one).

Edited by HYP86, 08 January 2009 - 01:20 AM.

#8 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:57 AM

why is visine not for long-term ? I know it may backfire, but other than that, why, does it cause harms? diseases? are any eyedrops for longterm use (say many months, years)?

This is just a cut-n-paste from http://www.peaceheal...um/d00773a1.htm

Do not use tetrahydrozoline ophthalmic more often than recommended, or use it for longer than 48 to 72 hours without a doctor's advice. Long-term use of this medication may damage the blood vessels in the eyes. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.

I would think isotonic saline solution would be safe for long-term use as long as it did not become contaminated.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

What makes the whites of the eyes white, anyway? If we knew the chemistry of that, we might have a better idea how to modify it. I think contact lenses are probably out because they only cover the iris, don't they? I suppose you could order a special pimp version, with wide whitewalls...

#10 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Can you rule out all of these?

http://www.wrongdiag...eyes/causes.htm

#11 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Tattooing?

Funny you should mention this. Tonight, I came across a show on cable about people undergoing procedures to alter their bodies in extreme or unorthodox ways. One young man whose face was already covered with several striking tatoos and piercings planned to get the whites of his eyes tatooed BLACK! (His mother was fine with the idea, as long as at least one of his eyes still had vision afterwards.) The tatoo artist had successfully done the procedure on pigs, and this was to be his first human recipient. The preview before a commercial break showed a needle loaded up with black dye ready to inject into the eye. I decided that I didn't really need to see this and changed the channel--but I assume the procedure was a "success".

What was the name of this show? It sounds interesting and maybe it can be found online somewhere!

#12 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

I would like to find a way to get my eyes really white. Since yellowing is caused by bilirubin and bilirubin is broken down by glucuronidation in the liver, I have been trying to find ways to boost that. So far I have tried NAC, milk thistle, taurine, glucuronolactone, drinking lots of fluids, MSM, and B vitamins. Nothing has helped as much as drinking a lot of water when I wake up in the morning, and the rest dont have noticable effects. I would want to avoid redness eye drops since they are not so healthy long term.

How can I ensure that when I take a trip to space and come back to future Earth, when the apes capture me they nickname me "Brighteyes?"

Bilirubin is a very potent antioxidant and you may be doing more harm than good by trying to reduce it, unless it already is above normal. Mine is above normal because I have Gilbert's Syndrome, yet my eyes are not yellow.

#13 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

Bilirubin is a very potent antioxidant and you may be doing more harm than good by trying to reduce it, unless it already is above normal. Mine is above normal because I have Gilbert's Syndrome, yet my eyes are not yellow.

I've had 0.8 (2006) 1.2 (Q2'08) and 1.4 (Q4'08) bilirbuin values measured (and am going to take another one later this month), could it be Gilbert's or something else?

Interesting study I found some time ago:
Liu Y, Li P, Lu J, Xiong W, Oger J, Tetzlaff W, Cynader M. (2007). Bilirubin possesses powerful immunomodulatory activity and suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. PMID 18641326

#14 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

I've had 0.8 (2006) 1.2 (Q2'08) and 1.4 (Q4'08) bilirbuin values measured (and am going to take another one later this month), could it be Gilbert's or something else?

Liu Y, Li P, Lu J, Xiong W, Oger J, Tetzlaff W, Cynader M. (2007). Bilirubin possesses powerful immunomodulatory activity and suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. PMID 18641326

If using the same scale used for the tests I've had, I think only the latter two readings are above normal. Elevated bilirubin can be caused by a number of conditions, Gilbert's Syndrome is one of them, and relatively innoccuous. Other causes can be serious and you should take up the issue with an internist to reach a diagnosis. There was a thread I started on Gilbert's Syndrome. Here it is:

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?sho...l=gilbert's

If using the same scale used for the tests I've had, I think only the latter two readings are above normal. Elevated bilirubin can be caused by a number of conditions, Gilbert's Syndrome is one of them, and relatively innoccuous. Other causes can be serious and you should take up the issue with an internist to reach a diagnosis. There was a thread I started on Gilbert's Syndrome. Here it is:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=24422

#15 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

Tattooing?

What was the name of this show? It sounds interesting and maybe it can be found online somewhere!

I don't know the name of the show, but I found a YouTube of the procedure. Enjoy.

#16 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

I don't know the name of the show, but I found a YouTube of the procedure. Enjoy.

I found a less-permanent way to get that effect:
http://www.visiondir...lera_custom.htm

At $145 per eye I think it'll have to wait a few Halloweens before it catches on though.

I also found this article that talks more about medical scleral contact lenses:
http://www.noblur.com/scler.html

#17 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

So basically we have only L-lysine as a candidate.

I'll have to try that. About 2 years ago I was on a prohormone cycle, and as I got off of it. My eyes basically stayed bloodshot all the time - even to today. Prohormone cycles are notoriously hard on the liver, and I was taking milk thistle and a little choline, but maybe somehow it screwed with my bilirubin levels and skyrocketed them permanently. Weird thing is I'd taken prohormone cycles before, but used a brand-new one called Epistane. Hmmm...

#18 bigsend

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

I do actually have GS. After reading more about it, it looks like calcium D-glucarate is a good one to try. It boosts glucuronididation.

http://www.lef.org/p...rtcl-143a.shtml

A phytoextract, D-glucarate, has been shown to support the glucuronidation pathway by inhibiting the activity of beta-glucuronidase. D-glucarate may be obtained naturally by emphasizing apples, grapefruit, broccoli, and brussels sprouts in the diet and by supplementing with calcium-D-glucarate and vegetable concentrates. According to data released from the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, D-glucarate inhibited beta-glucuronidase by 57% in the blood, 44% in the liver, 39% in the intestines, and 37% in the lungs, thus protecting the action of the glucuronidation pathway (Dwivedi et al. 1990).

#19 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

For a while I was on the Paleo Diet and, even though I hate it personally, I did get many comments on how white the sclera of my eyes were. As for perpetrators, I think crying, stress, tiredness/fatigue/lack of sleep, computer glare/eye strain, and lack of sunglasses all are major factors as to why we get red eyes.

An interesting study on beauty and bright eyes, too...
http://www.scienceda...10407101617.htm

#20 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

The healthier you are, the whiter the whites of your eyes will be.

#21 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have always been told that visine type drops should not be used too often but what is too often?

#22 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have always been told that visine type drops should not be used too often but what is too often?

Special occassions, like meeting a first date, or having to meet someone very important. Restricting blood flow in the eyes just sounds dangerous in general to me.

#23 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'll throw quercetin into the mix. If you search for bilirubin and my username or gilbert's and my username, you'll find some posts I made about my experiences.

I'm about to embark on the journey again and have created a new thread to track the progress. I may include eye pictures as one of the tests to track "eye whiteness" metrics. :-)

Oh, and I can almost guarantee a little alcohol will clear them up if you do have Gilbert's Syndrome. Not "drunk off my rocker" consumption. I'm speaking of one or two drinks, maybe even less than a full drink. It may seem counter-intuitive, since alcohol is supposed to increase bilirubin production. My experience, I believe, is that it also increases enzyme production to process that extra bilirubin and that more than makes up for it. I read of one account where someone did take a small amount of some form of ethanol every day to remove the yellow in his eyes and lower his bilirubin levels. I can't find that article now, but I'm 100% certain that was the case. I'm not recommending this course of action, but it is something to add to the knowledge bank.

Edited by davidd, 11 June 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#24 YOLF

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

If no one has mentioned it, lutien makes eyes more shiny. Visine or clear eyes can make eyes whiter, but not safely or long term as far as I am aware.

#25 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Just found out why my eyes aren't white recently by getting an iron blood test. My iron is at 20 when it should be at 60 or 70 for proper health. Well, I have had a blue tint to the whites of my eyes for quite some time and it turns out blue-ish hue to the sclera is a physical sign of anemia. Hope everyone gets their health checked when they notice not-so-normal symptoms instead of relying on home-made remedies. Self-diagnosis isn't very reliable most of the time.

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/000584.htm

#26 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

I hear castor oil works great.

#27 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

I hear castor oil works great.

I would watch out for castor oil near the eyes. Unfortunately I can't find the study, but I do remember reading a while ago that castor oil can cause cell death in the cornea. If anyone can find that study, it'd be much appreciated. The only site I can find that quotes this is livestrong:

http://www.livestron...il-on-the-skin/

#28 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:40 AM

So whats left?

#29 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:54 PM

I think someone needs to articulate that there are two separate issues concerning sclera discoloration, and they have different remedies. One is redness, usually caused by dry eye. The second is yellowing, caused by high bilirubin and/or aging. I experience both problems due to living in a very dry environment and my eyes don't close all the way when I sleep, and having Gilberts syndrome. As far as the redness I use Thera tears 6 or so times a day and before bed, unlike Visine they can be used regularly as they do not constrict blood vessels. I have experimented with a sleep mask like someone would wear on an airplane, it is helpful but it is too much of a pain. I have not found a solution for yellowing, but just ordered some blue eye drops which are supposed to counter the yellow color, we shall see.

• Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users