- - - - -

To get to Top 10, by '10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

realiistically, possible to be in top 10 by 2010

If someone like Bill Gates and Peter Thiel donates $100,000 to be used as LTMPrize. . . Peter T. donated like 1.5 -3 million to MPrize , and to Gates and Warren Buffett, it's chump change

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

Only realistic if we get tons of cash for the prize. I am working on a couple sources/grants, hoping to get $5,000 for the 2nd year of the prize, beginning April 1st. Top 10 by the END of 2010? Or are you saying top 10 by the beginning of 2010 (end of 2009)?

#3 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

I'd say by the end of 2010. in early 08, no one expected Top 100 by end of 2008.

before end of 09: Top 50
before the yr of '10: Top 10
before the year '11 is out: Maybe #1 , 1 double 11 assault at top team.

There's a saying: If the price is high enough, then somebody will do it.

Almost everything has a price. (I say almost, b/c can hardly put a price to love, friendship, family, belief, affection, etc etc. those 're invaluable, almost. ppl die for them. The day when Death dies? Priceless)

When Peter T said "I back Aubrey." and decided on 3 Million dollar matching donations to Mprize, he may have a small hope he can benefit (he's a young guy, in 30's). The thing is to sell to others. Kurzweil knows Bill Gates etc, and once successful negotiation is made..

#4 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

Sorry I got Peter Thiel's quote wrong. just looked up @ wiki

In September 2006 Thiel announced that he would donate $3.5 million to foster anti-aging research through the Methuselah Mouse Prize foundation.[11] He gave the following reasons for his pledge: "Rapid advances in biological science foretell of a treasure trove of discoveries this century, including dramatically improved health and longevity for all. I’m backing Dr. de Grey, because I believe that his revolutionary approach to aging research will accelerate this process, allowing many people alive today to enjoy radically longer and healthier lives for themselves and their loved ones."

with the backing of someone like Thiel, or a fraction of a guy like him, very likely to be top 1 by '11

1 by 11
call it the "1 Double 1 Assault" on top teams, out of the hundreds of thousands of FAH teams

#5 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

Honestly, the most realistic way to get this done without huge cash grants is to ask every member with a modern MoBo to buy an nVidia card generation 8 or higher, and build 500 or higher (i.e. GeForce 8500, 8800, 9500, 9800) and run the GPU client. It's a relatively small investment. The 8500 starts under $50. GPU clients are where the folding's at.

#6 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

If mass mailing, and out of 8,000+ users, 1,000 join, then can TLM crank out a million points a day?

#7 Heliotrope

• Topic Starter
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

I see master chungenhung read this. heard your ISP prevented you from sending out units. great loss to team. Maybe you can send your rigs outs? i can pay shipping

#8 MichaelGR

• Guest, F@H
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

If we could get a $100k (or whatever, any large sum), my vote would go for donating it to the Methuselah Foundation. It would do more good there for cutting edge anti-aging research.

The whole point of Folding@home is that it's an inexpensive way to do science because the costs are so spread out. But if it becomes expensive, there are better ways to spend the money.. Methuselah Foundation is doing research in areas that are overlooked by other researchers, including Folding@home (it's not like professor Pande and is team are directly working on the SENS plan.. it might benefit it indirectly, but still).

Or to put it another way: I expect the $165 that I've given the Methuselah Foundation so far (plus the soil samples I sent to LysoSENS) to have a higher utility than the past 9 years that I've been crunching 24/7 on multiple machines (including a 8-core Mac Pro).

Let's keep our priorities straight. Doing both is better than doing just one, but between spending money on folding and on lab-time, let's take the lab time. Other people will keep folding, and most of them won't give to Methuselah (they don't even know it exists).

My 2 cents,

Mike

Edited by MichaelGR, 19 January 2009 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users