Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

diabetic fasting glucose reduction with Resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 neuromancer

• 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:05 AM

Just wanted to add to the body of experience here with high doses of 99% Resveratrol. I've observed that Resveratrol will boost my energy and reduce my fasting glucose levels. I have seen my glucose drop as much as 100 points in 12 hours, the only changing factor being whether I take the res or not.

It seems to be the only thing that has consistently reduced my blood sugar to normal and near-normal levels. Although I am on a regimen of medication as well, my sugar has rarely been normal or near-normal ... except with the Resveratrol. I have never seen my sugar at normal levels for a week straight, except with Resveratrol.

I have experimented with taking less or no res, and monitored my sugar over several weeks. When I took the res I consistently saw my morning glucose drop. Not perfectly consistent every day, but fairly consistent. Typically 30 to 60 points but again as much as 100 on some days. No known changes in diet, exercise or other supplements or medication during that time.

I will also add that it seems the longer I take it, the greater the benefit seems. My sugar seems to stabilize better, more consistently and to more normal levels when I am taking the Resveratrol every day over time. I have been off and on quite a bit, and currently am back to a full six grams daily.

I'm on a regimen of medication and supplements but my goal is to reduce those. Don't plan to stop taking res.

My protocol is not rigorous but I believe my observations are valid.

This experience is also consistent with what I have mentioned in other posting, too, that my diabetes signs and symptoms have greatly reduced over time since I started with Resveratrol. When I was first diagnosed with Type II, I had few signs or symptoms even with high sugar. The signs and symptoms grew over time, and could be distinguished from other issues. These signs and symptoms also greatly reduced in about the first six months of Resveratrol supplementation. They are almost completely gone now.

I take 6 grams daily split into 3G morning and 3G evening mixed with milk. Usually preceded by frozen berries. Because of some of the discussions about high vs. low dosages and resveratrol half-life, I'm considering reducing the daily dose or splitting into more and smaller doses.

Hope this information benefits the community. Any observations or suggestions?

#2 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:41 AM

Just wanted to add to the body of experience here with high doses of 99% Resveratrol. I've observed that Resveratrol will boost my energy and reduce my fasting glucose levels. I have seen my glucose drop as much as 100 points in 12 hours, the only changing factor being whether I take the res or not.

It seems to be the only thing that has consistently reduced my blood sugar to normal and near-normal levels. Although I am on a regimen of medication as well, my sugar has rarely been normal or near-normal ... except with the Resveratrol. I have never seen my sugar at normal levels for a week straight, except with Resveratrol.

I have experimented with taking less or no res, and monitored my sugar over several weeks. When I took the res I consistently saw my morning glucose drop. Not perfectly consistent every day, but fairly consistent. Typically 30 to 60 points but again as much as 100 on some days. No known changes in diet, exercise or other supplements or medication during that time.

I will also add that it seems the longer I take it, the greater the benefit seems. My sugar seems to stabilize better, more consistently and to more normal levels when I am taking the Resveratrol every day over time. I have been off and on quite a bit, and currently am back to a full six grams daily.

I'm on a regimen of medication and supplements but my goal is to reduce those. Don't plan to stop taking res.

My protocol is not rigorous but I believe my observations are valid.

This experience is also consistent with what I have mentioned in other posting, too, that my diabetes signs and symptoms have greatly reduced over time since I started with Resveratrol. When I was first diagnosed with Type II, I had few signs or symptoms even with high sugar. The signs and symptoms grew over time, and could be distinguished from other issues. These signs and symptoms also greatly reduced in about the first six months of Resveratrol supplementation. They are almost completely gone now.

I take 6 grams daily split into 3G morning and 3G evening mixed with milk. Usually preceded by frozen berries. Because of some of the discussions about high vs. low dosages and resveratrol half-life, I'm considering reducing the daily dose or splitting into more and smaller doses.

Hope this information benefits the community. Any observations or suggestions?

Congratulations. I did not have diabetes, but I did notice my fasting blood glucose dropped 25% when taking only 250mg/day of trans-resveratrol. It was in the normal range and is now slightly sub-normal (fine by me). I feel energetic.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 frickengruvin

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

I'm a type 1 Diabetic, and have started a Resveratrol regiment beginning February 2nd. I have noticed some changes in life tendencies as a Diabetic. Up to this point my blood sugars have dropped, with no change in insulin dosage or activity level. I actually instituted a little test to see if the Res is making a difference by purposefully eating an additional 40grams of carbohydrate after my evening meal. My evening insulin dosage was taken as normally administered. I was expecting my blood sugar to be in the 200 area at a.m. test, but it was at 63.

I understand there is to be a placebo effect, and with that being taken into consideration, I still feel that something is "going on" inside-in a good way! No GI problems (I'm taking the Tween 80 250mg once daily), and it seems to have affected circulation....I have experienced "morning wood" (sorry to be so personal) and have not experienced that in quite some time.

I haven't really changed anything in my daily living habits other than including the Res in my daily supplement. I've sat down with my GP and discussed what I am doing, so we are going to screen my H1c tests for any significant changes. I will also discuss with my endocrynologist as well.

Can anyone advise if there may be any other changes to look for on a typical blood panel?

Thanks!

Edited by frickengruvin, 08 February 2009 - 01:47 AM.

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

I'm a type 1 Diabetic, and have started a Resveratrol regiment beginning February 2nd. I have noticed some changes in life tendencies as a Diabetic. Up to this point my blood sugars have dropped, with no change in insulin dosage or activity level. I actually instituted a little test to see if the Res is making a difference by purposefully eating an additional 40grams of carbohydrate after my evening meal. My evening insulin dosage was taken as normally administered. I was expecting my blood sugar to be in the 200 area at a.m. test, but it was at 63.

I understand there is to be a placebo effect, and with that being taken into consideration, I still feel that something is "goLess oxidized LDL?ing on" inside-in a good way! No GI problems (I'm taking the Tween 80 250mg once daily), and it seems to have affected circulation....I have experienced "morning wood" (sorry to be so personal) and have not experienced that in quite some time.

I haven't really changed anything in my daily living habits other than including the Res in my daily supplement. I've sat down with my GP and discussed what I am doing, so we are going to screen my H1c tests for any significant changes. I will also discuss with my endocrynologist as well.

Can anyone advise if there may be any other changes to look for on a typical blood panel?

Thanks!

Maybe some favorable lipid profile changes, increased HDL? Less oxidized LDL?

#5 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

Freakin:

I, too, am a type 1 diabetic and I started taking Res on Feb 5. Like you, I have experienced some beneficial diabetic-related changes almost instantaneously. I notice that my insulin requirements are reduced lower after meals, and that my dawn phenomenon (higher blood sugars upon awakening due to hepatic glucose production and release) is much lower as well. I test my glucose 6-8 times per day and have noticed much lower readings and have had to reduce my insulin accordingly. The other changes I will not mention at this time until I can eliminate the placebo effects.

I am thinking about asking my endo for a c-peptide test to see if my beta cells are producing any insulin at all to eliminate the possibility that resveratrol is stimulating my pancreas to produce some insulin (albeit in much smaller amounts than a nondiabetic). If I can eliminate that likelihood, then I would say that res might effect type 1 diabetics through insulin sensitivity alone and that type 1's that have some insulin resistance might benefit more than those that do not. I know that I suspect that I am somewhat insulin resistant due to the amount of daily insulin I require, even when fasting (I fast 2 days per week, and on the days I do eat, I eat from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm.). I also eat a low carb vegan diet high in natural fats like nuts, seeds, coconut oil and olives. In spite of this diet, on fasting days I require about 10 units of Lantus, 4 units of regular in the am for the dawn phenomenon, and 4 units of NPH before bedtime.

I would be interested in knowing if you experience similar effects from res after eating as well as fasting levels, and to what level your insulin requirements have diminished, if at all.

Manny

#6 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

While I'm not diabetic, I've noticed an unmistakable sugar-related effect with res. (I've been taking 99% 500mg/d RevGenetics that I bought off a friend a few months back. It's worked so well in various ways that I plan to stick with it longterm.)

Anyway, I've noticed a very strange change in my reaction to food, particularly sweet foods: while I still enjoy eating all kinds of food, I can be satisfied very easily. Never in my life, for instance, has a single fruit made me feel full (OK, unless it's a whole watermelon). Now, I can eat a papaya, or an orange, and feel satiated. Of course, once I burn the calories off, I'll be hungry again. But I don't get hooked into the I-want-another-one syndrome so familiar to most fruit (and carb) eaters. This has allowed me to be almost academic about my diet: "What nutrients do I need, and therefore what should I eat?" as opposed to "What am I craving?"

I still enjoy my food as much as I ever did, and taste still plays a role in my decision process, but it doesn't override my higher thought processes. In the past, I would never feel this satisfied unless I ate maybe 4X, or even 10X, as much food. I could restrain myself, but it took real effort.

This all started about a month after starting my res regimen. I still get hungry, but generally, it's appropriate hunger as opposed to "gastronomic enthusiasm".

For the record, I also take 500mg quercetin with 150mg bromelain with my res (Whole Foods brand), thanks to tips on this forum. I also eat a tablespoon of organic peanut butter daily, as a source of niacin (and thus extra insurance against the rumored joint pain problem).

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

I know this is the res forum but have you guys tried Tai Chi?

http://www.scienceda...80331220843.htm

#8 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I've taught Tai Chi.

#9 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

UPDATE - Yesterday was my full day of fasting while on Res. I checked my BS at 10:30 pm last night and it was 84. I injected 4 units of NPH to cover my night basal insulin needs and I woke up this morning at 6:40 am with a 48 BS reading. Never has this happened to me. Normally, my readings can be anywhere from 85-130, depending on the amount of glucose released by my liver over the night and early morning. I reduced my basal insulin dose for the day to 9 units of Lantus and 3 units of regular (to account for the phenomenon). I will not be eating until 4:30 pm today. So far, I have to say that res is definitely having an impact on my BS readings, but I am still gathering data to support to what extent. Will keep you informed as things develop.

Manny

#10 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

UPDATE - Yesterday was my full day of fasting while on Res. I checked my BS at 10:30 pm last night and it was 84. I injected 4 units of NPH to cover my night basal insulin needs and I woke up this morning at 6:40 am with a 48 BS reading. Never has this happened to me. Normally, my readings can be anywhere from 85-130, depending on the amount of glucose released by my liver over the night and early morning. I reduced my basal insulin dose for the day to 9 units of Lantus and 3 units of regular (to account for the phenomenon). I will not be eating until 4:30 pm today. So far, I have to say that res is definitely having an impact on my BS readings, but I am still gathering data to support to what extent. Will keep you informed as things develop.

Manny

FURTHER UPDATE - Yesterday I broke my fast at 4:30 pm and ate what I usually eat (low carb meal) and injected 20% less insulin than what I usually inject for the same meal. I actually went a little lower than usual and had to eat a little more later that evening. I woke up this am with a 92 glucose reading (rarely do I wake up with a glucose reading of less than 150 on the mornings after I have eaten the day before). I reduced my Lantus basal dose and also reduced my regular insulin to account for the dawn phenomenon by 20%. My blood glucose reading for 12:30 pm today was 87. So far, my insulin requirements have decreased by about 20% since taking resveratrol since last Thursday. Also, it seems to be helping in reducing and delaying the dawn phenomenon so that I am waking up with lower glucose readings than before taking res. This signifies to me that Res has helped reduce and delay the dumping of glucose by my liver in the early morning hours. Finally, after I eat I usually walk on the treadmill for exercise. I eat and inject insulin accordingly. My glucose usually drops 30 points for every 10 minutes of walking briskly (4.0 - 4.5 miles per hour). Yesterday, for the first time ever, my glucose levels dropped 50 points for every 10 minutes of walking at the same speed. I only walked 20 minutes, but my glucose levels dropped from 195 to 97 in 20 minutes!! This tells me that I am more insulin sensitive. Needless to say, I am delighted for all of these benefits: reduced insulin needs, higher insulin sensitivity and less hepatic glucose production.

I am currently taking 250 mg of RevGenetics Micronized Res with Tween. I will continue to take one capsule per day to see if these benefits continue and at what level I reach a plateau. Then, I will increase to two capsules to see if I can improve upon the benefits or if there is no continued benefit to my insulin needs by taking more res. I will keep the board posted on further observations.

I am surprised more diabetics are not documenting similar benefits and would urge diabetics to do so.

#11 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

I am surprised more diabetics are not documenting similar benefits and would urge diabetics to do so.

Non insulin dependent Type II pre-diabetic on metformin for 2.5 years. Been taking resveratrol about 4 months now. Started at 600mg 50%, then went to 500mg 99%, and now on 250mg micronized 99% w/ polysorbate 80. Fasting sugar went from 105-115mg/dl before to 95-105mg/dl now. Nothing spectacular but I'll take it.

#12 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

Non insulin dependent Type II pre-diabetic on metformin for 2.5 years. Been taking resveratrol about 4 months now. Started at 600mg 50%, then went to 500mg 99%, and now on 250mg micronized 99% w/ polysorbate 80. Fasting sugar went from 105-115mg/dl before to 95-105mg/dl now. Nothing spectacular but I'll take it.

Fatboy:

Have you noticed any improvements with your A1C blood results? I had mine checked 2 days ago and I have gone from a 5.4% to 5.1%, with no other changes to diet, exercise or other variables.

Manny

#13 anderl

• 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Just wanted to mention my experience. I'm a resveratrol user and through these forums discovered its use to help in the treatment of diabetes. I am not diabetic but my mother is a type 2.

She is 57 years old, fair health otherwise. Overweight BMI, little exercise, and tries to manage her diet somewhat. She works 40 to 50 hours a week on her feet with about 5-6 hours of sleep a day. Her average blood sugar flirts with 300 with an average of about 250. she is tested monthly.

I started here on a 250mg transresveratrol supplement at the start of the new year. Her last reading back about 2 weeks ago was 160. The first time its been under 200 in years. She did not mention she was using resveratrol to her doctor, she didn't thin kit mattered ebcause it was a supplement. BUt the doctor was happy with the results and told here to keep doing what she is doing. She is due for another reading soon. But anecdotally she mentioned deeper sleep, more energy, some slight weight loss, and improved disposition based on how she feels.

#14 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

Fatboy:

Have you noticed any improvements with your A1C blood results? I had mine checked 2 days ago and I have gone from a 5.4% to 5.1%, with no other changes to diet, exercise or other variables.

I have not. A1C was 5.8% at time of diagnosis. Got down to 5.4% 6 months into treatment and its stayed there ever since. Last labs were a month ago so that would be about 3 months into resveratrol supplementation.

#15 neuromancer

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

Well first off this is pretty awesome to see so many people interested in Resveratrol and how it affects glucose in diabetics. From this thread it seems like there is a real benefit and that is pretty exciting. I hope someday Resveratrol can come into it's own as a part of an established treatment protocol with real benefits for diabetes.

I'm here to add a piece to the Resveratrol puzzle. To recap, I've been taking Res for almost a year now, and stepped up to about 6 grams a day. I have not had it for approx 6 weeks. During the time I've been taking Resveratrol, my fasting sugar, and my signs and symptoms, have been reduced dramatically. In the time I have missed taking Res, my sugar has not trended up on average. (although I was seeing a difference week to week a few months ago, between taking and not taking Res).

Here's the real puzzler. My sugar has gone down, down, and down, to the point where my fasting sugar averages to 138 for the past 90 days. It's a little lower for the past 60, and lower for the past 30. The strange thing is, my A1C has not declined. I was tested 3 months ago and came out at 8.6. I was tested again just about a week ago, and it was still 8.6. But an average glucose of 138 should show an A1c of about 6. This difference is tremendous.

This is a mystery to me. I know labs, techs, everyone makes mistakes, maybe there are other factors in my blood, there could be a lot of reasons for the discrepancy. I'm bringing this to my doctor, of course, too. To me it's all equal and there's not enough information to tell, except one consideration.

I am wondering if my red blood cells are living longer because of the Resveratrol. That would account for the sugar decline without my A1C changing too much. (It also makes me curious about other impacts of having your cells live longer)

Would anyone with experience here like to chime in? Are completely wrong A1c readings common - or is it mis-framing the question to say the readings are "wrong" - or is it more likely my own meter is wrong, or is Resveratrol possibly the "x" factor?

Edited by neuromancer, 27 February 2009 - 03:03 AM.

#16 neuromancer

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:11 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but briefly ...

I have practiced Tai Chi and ch'i kung off and on for a few years. These are IMHO the best exercises you can do, mainly because you can get all of the exercise benefit with virtually no strain on the body. I think it's pretty much impossible to really overtrain with ch'i kung or tai chi, in contrast to typical modern exercise. Usually stress is a fundamental part of working out, plus you're often off balance. If your body is easily overstressed and overtrained from exercise - where any exercise you do may do more harm than good - the "soft" martial arts are still good because the stress is actively minimized and the aerobic exercise is mild.

Not to mention the mental and spiritual benefits of prayer, meditation, and just relaxation.

And back on topic...Resveratrol is great

#17 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:13 AM

Are completely wrong A1c readings common - or is it mis-framing the question to say the readings are "wrong" - or is it more likely my own meter is wrong, or is Resveratrol possibly the "x" factor?

Don't you check your meter by taking it with you when you get labs drawn, testing just prior to the draw, and then comparing the reading to the fasting glucose result on the labs?

#18 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

Well first off this is pretty awesome to see so many people interested in Resveratrol and how it affects glucose in diabetics. From this thread it seems like there is a real benefit and that is pretty exciting. I hope someday Resveratrol can come into it's own as a part of an established treatment protocol with real benefits for diabetes.

I'm here to add a piece to the Resveratrol puzzle. To recap, I've been taking Res for almost a year now, and stepped up to about 6 grams a day. I have not had it for approx 6 weeks. During the time I've been taking Resveratrol, my fasting sugar, and my signs and symptoms, have been reduced dramatically. In the time I have missed taking Res, my sugar has not trended up on average. (although I was seeing a difference week to week a few months ago, between taking and not taking Res).

Here's the real puzzler. My sugar has gone down, down, and down, to the point where my fasting sugar averages to 138 for the past 90 days. It's a little lower for the past 60, and lower for the past 30. The strange thing is, my A1C has not declined. I was tested 3 months ago and came out at 8.6. I was tested again just about a week ago, and it was still 8.6. But an average glucose of 138 should show an A1c of about 6. This difference is tremendous.

This is a mystery to me. I know labs, techs, everyone makes mistakes, maybe there are other factors in my blood, there could be a lot of reasons for the discrepancy. I'm bringing this to my doctor, of course, too. To me it's all equal and there's not enough information to tell, except one consideration.

I am wondering if my red blood cells are living longer because of the Resveratrol. That would account for the sugar decline without my A1C changing too much. (It also makes me curious about other impacts of having your cells live longer)

Would anyone with experience here like to chime in? Are completely wrong A1c readings common - or is it mis-framing the question to say the readings are "wrong" - or is it more likely my own meter is wrong, or is Resveratrol possibly the "x" factor?

I take it you are a type 2 diabetic. Can I ask how often and when you check your daily blood glucose levels? Perhaps your A1C appears high in relation to your fasting levels because you are still running high glucose levels during the day after meals. Are you on a low carb diet? Are you doing any HIIT? Both would help immensely in getting your glucose levels and insulin levels down as much as possible, imo.

Manny

#19 neuromancer

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Are completely wrong A1c readings common - or is it mis-framing the question to say the readings are "wrong" - or is it more likely my own meter is wrong, or is Resveratrol possibly the "x" factor?

Don't you check your meter by taking it with you when you get labs drawn, testing just prior to the draw, and then comparing the reading to the fasting glucose result on the labs?

Yeah I was planning on checking my meter. Nobody has ever recommended checking it against the labs but it makes great sense, thanks. And they didn't tell me the fasting glucose from the labs, I'll ask too. Usually I bring my meter in anyway to show the history to my doctor, but I forgot this last time ...

I haven't calibrated the meter in a while. Since I've got two, of different brands, I was planning to test them against testing fluid, and if they check out, test them against each other for awhile. Maybe an extra blood draw would be in order.

I hope the meter's ok, if not it means my sugar hasn't been as good as it seemed. :( it's a OneTouch UltraSmart if anyone has any experience with it. The spare is a BD Logic.

#20 neuromancer

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

I take it you are a type 2 diabetic. Can I ask how often and when you check your daily blood glucose levels? Perhaps your A1C appears high in relation to your fasting levels because you are still running high glucose levels during the day after meals. Are you on a low carb diet? Are you doing any HIIT? Both would help immensely in getting your glucose levels and insulin levels down as much as possible, imo.

Manny

Yep type 2. I test every morning after getting up. That's a good point about high levels during the day. I am health-conscious but don't have a diet, exactly, I just eat a lot of fruit, cheese and some lean meat. Red meat and refined foods are part of my diet but not common. That's a good point about the exercise too. I tend to steady daily low-impact aerobic exercise, but haven't been able to be consistent recently.

You raise some good points but also some follow up questions. If you are right about sugar being excessively high in the daytime, but dropping off to reach near-normal in the morning, well it would have to be a very significant drop. From what I understand, A1c of 8.6 would correspond to an average sugar of 229. There have been plenty of days where readings have been in the 100 - 120 range. So wouldn't there have to be a daytime high consistently over 300, in that case, to push the average up to 229? The last two readings I've had over 200 were a couple of weeks ago, and middle of October.

I guess then the questions are 1) what does the A1c really represent? I was given to understand that it was an average (of glucose-bound hemoglobin, in my limited layman's understanding), but it sounds like it may be a peak instead. 2) if the glucose is really dropping that sharply, that quickly, every day, then with more reduction in glucose, wouldn't there be a risk of hypoglycemia? Which also begs the question of what do actually do about it?

It seems like the only real answer is that more information is needed.

Can anyone recommend a physician in the Phoenix area who may understand these issues? We do have Mayo, but there's a six month wait, and they are on the pricey side. We also have Kronos but they are also expensive, and, well, I don't know if they are intended for primary care. Anyone?

#21 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

Manny

Yep type 2. I test every morning after getting up. That's a good point about high levels during the day. I am health-conscious but don't have a diet, exactly, I just eat a lot of fruit, cheese and some lean meat. Red meat and refined foods are part of my diet but not common. That's a good point about the exercise too. I tend to steady daily low-impact aerobic exercise, but haven't been able to be consistent recently.

You raise some good points but also some follow up questions. If you are right about sugar being excessively high in the daytime, but dropping off to reach near-normal in the morning, well it would have to be a very significant drop. From what I understand, A1c of 8.6 would correspond to an average sugar of 229. There have been plenty of days where readings have been in the 100 - 120 range. So wouldn't there have to be a daytime high consistently over 300, in that case, to push the average up to 229? The last two readings I've had over 200 were a couple of weeks ago, and middle of October.

I guess then the questions are 1) what does the A1c really represent? I was given to understand that it was an average (of glucose-bound hemoglobin, in my limited layman's understanding), but it sounds like it may be a peak instead. 2) if the glucose is really dropping that sharply, that quickly, every day, then with more reduction in glucose, wouldn't there be a risk of hypoglycemia? Which also begs the question of what do actually do about it?

It seems like the only real answer is that more information is needed.

Can anyone recommend a physician in the Phoenix area who may understand these issues? We do have Mayo, but there's a six month wait, and they are on the pricey side. We also have Kronos but they are also expensive, and, well, I don't know if they are intended for primary care. Anyone?

Fruit could definitely be causing a blood spike shortly after consumption to cause an A1C average to be higher than your fasting levels might otherwise indicate. I think a good place to start figuring this out would be postprandial readings (2 hours after eating) to see what you are running at that time. Also, there may be a lot of time to get you down to 100-120 from dinner to morning readings. If you are only checking your blood glucose in the early morning hours, your readings might be registering before any dawn phenomenon effect where your glucose levels increase at dawn (early morning hours) prior to consuming any food due to hormonal and hepatic glucose production issues. The best approach would be to test first thing in the morning, then again before breakfast, then 2 hours after breakfast, prior to lunch, 2 hours after lunch, prior to dinner, 2 hours after dinner and then right before bed. Do this for 3 days straight to see what your daily range is. Then, look to see what changes you can make to narrow that range, like low carb dieting, exercise and possibly some supplements, like resveratrol.

Good luck.

Edited by chabbo, 28 February 2009 - 02:23 AM.

#22 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Finished my first month of the Tween 80 resveratrol product. Last 2 weeks fasting sugars were consistently 90-92mg/dl. That's like a normal person! ;)

Results are confounded (big-time) by the addition of HCG to my TRT protocol but I'm still gonna keep taking the Tween 80 product. Next labs are in a few weeks so I'll see if there is any corresponding effect in my A1C.

#23 syber

• Validating/Suspended
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Finished my first month of the Tween 80 resveratrol product. Last 2 weeks fasting sugars were consistently 90-92mg/dl. That's like a normal person! :)

Results are confounded (big-time) by the addition of HCG to my TRT protocol but I'm still gonna keep taking the Tween 80 product. Next labs are in a few weeks so I'll see if there is any corresponding effect in my A1C.

Began taking Revgenetics 500mg once a day when 60 minutes article aired. I am pre-diabetic. Last several visits to the doctor before resveritrol showed 105 for am fasting sugar. After resvertrol it is at 98. Two hours after a meal would be a better time to check sugar. Triglicerides jumped from 135 to 200 though. HDL and LDL remained constant.

#24 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Began taking Revgenetics 500mg once a day when 60 minutes article aired. I am pre-diabetic.
Last several visits to the doctor before resveritrol showed 105 for am fasting sugar. After resvertrol it is at 98.
Two hours after a meal would be a better time to check sugar. Triglicerides jumped from 135 to 200 though. HDL and LDL remained constant.

Hi Syber,

Those are promising results. Thanks for sharing the info. Are you taking anything else besides the resveratrol for lowering glucose?

Edited by pycnogenol, 31 March 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#25 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

Two hours after a meal would be a better time to check sugar.

Yeah, my post-prandials are good. 2 hour post-prandial is always <120 mg/dl because I don't eat anything that would spike it. Fasting glucose still fucks me up because of gluconeogenesis and "dawn phenomena." That's where my attention is now.

#26 castrensis

• 157 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:56 AM

This seems the most appropriate thread to post this. To begin, I'm not a diabetic. I have, however, been testing my fasting glucose daily & intermittently checking post-prandial glucose to evaluate the effect of various food items. My fasting blood glucose ranges anywhere from 60-80 after adopting a low glycemic index diet. When I woke up this evening I found a bottle of resveratrol manufactured using micron delivery system & tween 80 that I recently purchased had been delivered. I promptly opened the packaged and swallowed a capsule chased by a couple cups of coffee since the consensus seems to be that it should be taken on an empty stomach for maximum absorption. After a couple hours I took the rest of my normal morning supplements & meds. At this point I'd been fasting for 15 hours & decided to check an AC FSBS because I didn't check it upon waking. I nearly soiled myself when it was resulted: 150mg/dL. I ran some control tests on my glucometer thinking it may have been an equipment issue. I applied another sample, the result: 147mg/dL. Resveratrol is the only change to my normal supp/med regimen & I always down a couple cups of coffee once I wake up, usually resulting in a 10-20mg/dL decrease in blood glucose prior to eating my morning meal.

Anyone have this experience? Is there some mechanism, in theory, that could increase blood glucose? I'll check a fasting glucose upon waking tomorrow then take the resveratrol & a couple hours later I'll recheck my blood glucose & report back.

#27 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

... swallowed a capsule chased by a couple cups of coffee ...

Was there any cream and/or sugar in the coffee you drank?

What morning supplements and meds do you take? Would they affect your glucose readings?

Are the testing strips new?

Do you take the vitamin B-6 supplement pyridoxamine? That could raise glucose. It does with me* and a few other members here.

Does anyone know if fasting causes glucose to spike? I don't fast at all except for medical tests.

I, too, would like to know why this happened.

I currently take 250 mg of resveratrol in the morning with coffee (no sugar but a little sugar-free soy milk)
and have better glucose readings when taking the resveratrol.

I have some slight glucose irregularities (well, most of the time) because of family history of type 2 and that is why I take it.

I'm still "dialing in" the amount of resveratrol to take but so far it does help.

I do know that stressing out definitely causes my glucose readings to spike upward so I try to be very chill. :)

* 50 mg of pyridoxamine raises my glucose but 25 mg does not. Go figure.

Edited by pycnogenol, 02 September 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#28 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Possibly because you fasted longer than usual, your liver manufactured glucose to compensate (glucogenesis.) This sometimes happens under stress, as with fasting. While it is sometimes thought to be an indication of pre-diabetes, it's not a reliable indicator of the problem.

I think you needn't abstain from food for more than half an hour for maximal resveratrol blood levels, and I am not sure the benefit is great enough to warrant special behavior.

#29 castrensis

• 157 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

1) Was there any cream and/or sugar in the coffee you drank?

2) What morning supplements and meds do you take? Would they affect your glucose readings?
2a) Do you take the vitamin B-6 supplement pyridoxamine? That could raise glucose. It does with me* and a few other members here.

3) Are the testing strips new?

(reordered, numbering added for ease)

1. Splenda & half cream. The nutrition facts on the carton say there is zero sugar in my creamer, CRON-o-meter gives me 0.02 per tablespoon, I use one tablespoon per cup so the total sugar for the four cups I drank is 0.09g. This is a constant in my diet usually resulting in a small drop in blood glucose prior to eating as I wrote earlier.

2. VitD3 1200iu, MK-7 90mcg, MVI, Piracetam 1.6g, EPA 1g, DHA 750mg, Phosphatidylcholine 420mg, Modafinil 100mg, Lamotrigine 200mg.
2a. B6 in MVI is provided by pyridoxine HCL.

3. Testing strips are two weeks old & kept sealed in their vial.

Possibly because you fasted longer than usual, your liver manufactured glucose to compensate (glucogenesis.) This sometimes happens under stress, as with fasting. While it is sometimes thought to be an indication of pre-diabetes, it's not a reliable indicator of the problem.

My typical fasting period is sixteen hours, 0200-1800. This results in lower fasting blood glucose levels than if I eat later in the day & ameliorates my reflux issues while sleeping. After waking up at 1600 I spend two hours drinking coffee before eating anything - for no other reason than that's the amount of time it takes me to nurse my four cups - but usually take my supplements & meds as soon as I wake up.

I think you needn't abstain from food for more than half an hour for maximal resveratrol blood levels, and I am not sure the benefit is great enough to warrant special behavior.

No special behavior other than waiting to take my normal morning supplements & meds.

----------

All of these questions addressed, my fasting blood glucose was 71. I took the resveratrol with my typical morning supplements/meds , started drinking coffee per usual & checked my glucose in increments of thirty minutes.

30": 96
60": 81
90": 72
120": 63

Asmall transient rise in blood glucose but certainly not the large spike I experienced yesterday. Notably, I haven't previously checked my blood glucose in thirty minute increments upon waking but only two hours after waking & my blood glucose at the two hour mark is consistent with my typical blood glucose prior to eating. I very well could have this small rise in blood glucose every day.

Conclusion? A chance occurence, possibly due to waiting to take my morning supplements/meds or some other unknown factor, but it wasn't the resveratrol that is responsible for the significant increase in blood glucose.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:53 AM

Fasting glucose still @ 95-105mg/dl but A1C went from 5.5% to 5.6%. No worries. I'm not stopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users