• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Immortality And Death Quotes

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:12 PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to
achieve it through not dying.
-- Woody Allen, quoted in: Edward Lax, Woody Allen and his Comedy, ch. 12 (1975),
quoted from The Columbia Dictionary of Quotations

Death:

http://www.vhemt.org/
The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

QUOTES

q1="The prospect of immortality may seem strange, even frightning. Yet it is within sight" - Ben Bova
qa="The prospect of immortality may seem strange, even frightning. Yet it is within sight" - Ben Bova
qb="Being born is not a crime so why must it carry a sentence of death?" Robert Ettinger
qc=“There are a number of experts in longevity who think that failure of the body to restore itself positively is the real culprit in aging, not time. They feel that if we could just continue to repair and transform our bodies, there would be no reason to die at any particular time.” - Elliot D. Abravanel, M.D.
qd=“There are five fundamental disadvantages to holding the thought that you must die and therefore have no choice about it. These five disadvantages play a significant role in almost every example of human suffering. The five fundamental disadvantages of thinking that death is inevitable are: fear, helplessness, apathy, limitation and self-deception.” Jim Leonard
qe=All that stands between us and eternal life is fear and gullibility: Dread of the unknown forges faith in the unknowable.” The idea that death is inevitable has killed more people than all other causes of death combined.” - Leonard Orr
q2="That's what immortality means. Not: 'Dying after a very long time.' Just not dying, ever." -- Greg Egan
qq="That's what immortality means. Not: 'Dying after a very long time.' Just not dying, ever." -- Greg Egan
"The first immortals are living now," Bova says. "They are among us. And you might be one of them. We have the capability of producing human beings who will live for many, many hundreds of years. And perhaps live indefinitely. - Ben Bova

"As a child I always thought of myself as different," he says. "When I first heard about death, I thought that somehow there has got to be a way beat this and it ain't going to happen to me. I am not going to let myself die."
- Tom Matthews

#2 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:34 PM

I am Transhuman as well there be others
The ticking clock of time bleeds away my life--
Never will the sighs of boredom gloss my mind
Should death really be the end?
Or could life be like many fine silks –
Wrapping you, warming you, head to toe.
So many questions to ask, I can feel all I want.
Truly, in the end there is only time
And how it played its games with me.
I am Posthuman and this is my manifesto,
Religious foes may try to stop me—
you will not stop us all…

-Helix

#3 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:54 PM

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state and our education system.
We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:55 PM

I have learned from Nature that dependence on unnatural beliefs weakens us in the struggle and shortens our breath for the race.

#5 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 05:51 PM

However, when it can be proved to me that there is immortality, that there is resurrection
beyond the gates of death, then will I believe. Until then, no.
-- Luther Burbank, quoted by Edgar Waite

#6 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:06 PM

"I mean," she(Alice) said, "that one can't help growing older." "One can't, perhaps," said Humpty Dumpty, "but two can. With proper assistance, you might have left off at seven."

#7 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:33 PM

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman
authority behind it."
["Albert Einstein: The Human Side", edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, and published by Princeton University
Press.]

#8 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:53 PM

How ironic, that writers often refer to people being 'freed' by death!-when in fact death is the complete, the absolute absence of freedom, since both power and will are reduced to nil.

Robert C. Ettinger

#9 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:54 PM

This is not a hobby or conversation piece: it is the principal activity of this phase of our lives; it is the struggle for survival. Drive a used car if the cost of a new one interferes. Divorce your wife if she will not cooperate; Save your money; get an-other job and save more money. Sometimes a fool will blunder through, but don’t count on it. The universe has no malice, but neither has it mercy, and a miss is as good as a mile. ROBERT C. W. ETTINGER

#10 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 07:01 PM

Our new Constitution is now established, and has an appearance that promises permancy; but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

Benjamin Franklin

#11 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 08:44 PM

Life is an end in itself, and the only question as to whether it is worth living is whether you have had enough of it.

#12 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:13 PM

I believe that when I am dead, I am dead. I believe that with my death I am just as much obliterated as the last mosquito you and
I squashed.

#13 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:23 PM

The arguments for spiritual immortality, weak when you take them one by one, are no more cogent when you take them together.... For my part, I cannot see how consciousness can persist when its physical basis has been destroyed, and I am too sure of the interconnection of my body and my mind to think that any survival of my my consciousness apart from my body would be
in any sense a survival of myself.

#14 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:25 PM

The way to deal with superstition is not to be polite to it, but to tackle it with all arms, and so rout it, cripple it, and make it forever infamous and ridiculous.... Then their folly should be brought out into the light of day, and exhibited there in all its hideousness until they flee from it, hiding their heads in shame.... True enough, even a superstitious man has certain inalienable rights. He has a right to harbor and indulge his imbecilities as long as he pleases, provided only he does not try to inflict them upon other men by force.... But certainly he has no right to be protected against the free criticism of those who do not hold them.... He has no right to preach them without challenge.

-- H. L. Mencken, "Aftermath" (coverage of the Scopes Trial) The Baltimore Evening Sun, (September 14, 1925)

#15 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:53 PM

Good stuff [!]

#16 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 10:30 PM

Every time I look in the bathroom mirror, I see Death, theEternal Footman (looking quite proud), standing in the shadows behind me, holding my coat, snickering.

I would like to seek consolidation in my Christian faith and one of its central tenets: belief in the immortality of my soul. But the lawyer in me also highlights the usual caveats and provisos.

According to the scriptures, my quality of life after death may depend on my ability to love my fellow man This is a big problem for me. Did I forget to mention that in addition to being a non-practicing Christian, I'm also a practicing misanthrope.
As I see it, my only chance of avoiding eternal damnation is to stay alive until I learn to love other people. Or until some future Pope issues an encyclical providing spiritual guidance for misanthropic non-christians.

#17 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 12:37 AM

"Here's what happens when you die--you sit in a box and get eaten by worms. I guarantee you that when you die, nothing cool happens."
— Howard Stern

#18 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 12:53 AM

It is the final proof of God's omnipotence that he need not exist in order to save us.

#19 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 12:56 AM

I think when you're dead...you're dead. It comes with the territory.

#20 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:41 AM

Would it be absurd then to suppose that this perfection of the human species might be capable of indefinite progress; that the day will come when death will be due only to extraordinary accidents or to the decay of vital forces, and that ultimately the averge span between birth and decay will have no assignable value? Certainly even if man will not become immortal, he will have the interval between the first breath that he draws and the time when in the natural course of events, without disease or accident, he expires, increase indefinitely

#21 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:42 AM

Since life requires a specific course of action, any other course will destroy it. A being who does not hold his own life as the motive and goal of his actions, is acting on the motive and standard of death. Such a being is a metaphysical monstrosity, struggling to oppose, negate, and contradict the fact of his own existence, running blindly amuck on a trail of destruction, capable of nothing but pain.

#22 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:43 AM

Aging and death do seem to be what Nature has planned for us. But what if we have other plans?

#23 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:44 AM

I hate death

Uncle Derwood

#24 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:45 AM

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful; for thou art not so...
And Death shall be no more: Death,
thou shalt die!

Author (unknown to me)

#25 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:46 AM

I would like to die as young as possible and as late as possible!

Uncle Derwood

#26 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:47 AM

If the universe has no malice, neither has it mercy; it accepts no excuses, and a miss is as good as a mile. The rarest genius has
but to take one misstep in New York City traffic, and the universe will judge him incompetent and sentence him to death.

Robert Ettinger

#27 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:50 AM

There is always time to choose death, but you have very little time to
choose life. Please choose life, while you still can.

#28 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:51 AM

Cuz the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
they chew yer guts n spit 'em out
there'll come a day when you will die
everyone shall drink and no one cry
they'll put you in a wooden box
and cover you up with dirt and rocks
you'll soon smell like turds
and rotten socks, the worms crawl in
the worms crawl out

#29 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:52 AM

I believe that when I am dead, I am dead. I believe that with my death I am just as much obliterated as the last mosquito you and
I squashed.

#30 thefirstimmortal

• Topic Starter
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:52 AM

The long habit of living indisposeth us for dying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users