• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Uzbekistan says 128-year-old is oldest woman

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/7857591.stm

#2 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

120 is the new 80!

#3 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

I would really like to hear more about this. http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/11780009. It looks like she might last into her 130s if true. Maybe we should send Dr. Lightman to check her eyebrows. ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Here's UPI article.

Uzbekistan woman, 128, may be oldest

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan, Dec. 15 (UPI) -- A 128-year-old woman in Uzbekistan may be the world's oldest person, an Interior Ministry official said.

The official, who was not identified, said that while the woman, Tuty Yusupova, may be the oldest person, her age has not been officially recognized.

The woman is a well-respected member of her community in the Central Asian country, the official said.

"Tuty Yusupova turned 128 this year," the official said. "Locals respect her for honesty and creativity and listen to her advice."

The Gerontology Research Group recognizes 115-year-old Portugal resident Maria de Jesus dos Santos as the oldest person. Unlike Yusupova, dos Santos' age has been officially verified, RIA Novosti said.

http://www.upi.com/O...10051229357611/

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

I hope this is verified. It would be a quantum leap (6 years) in what people expect is possible in human lifespan. At least she has some form of paper trail. I suppose they will have to talk to relatives, look for pictures, etc...

#6 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I hope this is verified. It would be a quantum leap (6 years) in what people expect is possible in human lifespan. At least she has some form of paper trail. I suppose they will have to talk to relatives, look for pictures, etc...

Indeed, this is kind of like achieving one of the goals of life extension of living to 120.

#7 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

I'd like to believe its true and I do think it could happen under te right circumstanes. But even if it were true I don't think it will get recognized as official.

from GRG
"Apparently 1 in 2.56 trillion is the chance that they computed for a
particular person at birth living to 128. "

But I dislike computer models sometimes :~ I guess it depends how much you believe maximum lifespan in humans can be extended. If you believe something like CR or CR equivalent genetic trait could make someone live this long, then I don't think the computer estimation can be correct. Or a person can claim that it's almost 'impossible' to reach this age ,as the guys at GRG are saying.

Edited by Matt, 31 January 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#8 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:24 AM

I'd like to believe its true and I do think it could happen under te right circumstanes. But even if it were true I don't think it will get recognized as official.

from GRG

1 in 2.56 trillion chance for human to live to 128 . low odds

#9 AdamSummerfield

• Topic Starter
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

from GRG

1 in 2.56 trillion chance for human to live to 128 . low odds

I'd imagine the information they used would be based on how many people have lived to that age. I'm sure if you live a healthy lifestyle and consume all the right things at the right times then you have a much higher chance of getting to 128.

#10 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

May be science will one day discover the human body has a built in age detector much like a tree has growth rings that accurately show its age. Sure would be nice to be certain.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

another month, another ridiculously old person is "discovered" in some developing country. Next month we'll find out the birth certificate is fake, its her mom's, or any other number of things, like always.

#12 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

Next month we'll find out the birth certificate is fake, its her mom's, or any other number of things, like always.

never mind. We don't need to wait till next month.

The records "verifying" that she is 128 years old were issued in 1997.

Why does the media pick up on this nonsense?

#13 Mind

• 19,050 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:42 AM

Where did you hear that? That is unfortunate. I had my hopes up a bit, even though I knew it was unlikely.

Edited by Mind, 01 February 2009 - 01:43 AM.

#14 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:59 AM

I truly hoped there's a case of human living to 130 too

Many cases even say 150, 200, centuries-old-man. Those're basically fake

#15 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:52 AM

Where did you hear that? That is unfortunate. I had my hopes up a bit, even though I knew it was unlikely.

the grg list. Even that BBC story just showed a recent passport and a microsoft word document as proof of her age.

I bet she isn't 100.

Even if it were true n these 1 in a billion chances for longevity have essentially no baring on the rest of us. We need to repair the damage.

Edited by elrond, 01 February 2009 - 03:54 AM.

#16 Mind

• 19,050 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Even if it were true n these 1 in a billion chances for longevity have essentially no baring on the rest of us. We need to repair the damage.

Correct.

Different angle: It would mean a break in the psychological/social barriers to extending lifespan. If more people were known to live over 120 or even up to 130 or 140, then maybe it would not seem so radical to propose more biomedical fixes to get people to live up to that age. It would seem slightly more "natural". I just thought it might speed the adoption of the life extension meme...perhaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users