• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Kurzweil in February '09 Rolling Stone Magazine

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#91 ben951

• 111 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

He was also right to slam the Newsweek article that said "who didn't think back in the mid 1980s that the internet wouldnt be everywhere?"
As Kurzweil said "virtually no one" I wiffed on that one as well, only thinking of email and attachments everywhere by 2000.

Virtually no one? By the mid 80's, virtually everyone in the crowd I hung out with could see that the internet was going to be huge. I suppose we were "no one" compared to the population of the US... At that point in time, I don't think many people would have predicted exactly what the internet would look like today. I wonder what Kurzweil's conception of the net was back then. Did he envision the spawn of Berners-Lee?

If anyone wants to see an amazing prediction from 1945, take a look at As We May Think by Vannevar Bush. It appeared in the July, 1945 edition of The Atlantic.

Personally if i had know that, i would be rich now.

It's too bad for those who knew that internet was going to be huge if they didn't act.

I mean you just had to buy a few domain names or build basic website, for instance stock market website and wait to make huge profit.

#92 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Congrats on your predictions, i suppose it wouldn't be very easy to understand the possibilities..

But thinking that these technologies are mostly exponential, do you still have a very hard time believing in predictions for 2030-2040 that may seem outlandish now? A few decades are a lot of time for exponential growth. What's your say?

My predictions started with video games. I was 7 when I played on a mainframe, 10 when "programming" on the Commodore PET (10 lines long, and spagehetti code at that young age as well!) but almost addicted to reading about new computers in the 80s. That culminated with the Amiga, and InfoWorld printed my letter bashing them for giving an IBM clone an 'A' and the Amiga a "D" or something low. I was able to predict what video games would look like in 1985, 1995 ...but was off on 2005 -- those should be here in around 2012, though. I don't think those predictions were too tough IF you kept in mind the exponential.

I have a hard time believing "everyone" in niner's crowd knew how big the internet would be by 1995. Bill Gates was downplaying the internet in 1995, but maybe niner's crowd was different.

I'm a lot like Kurzweil in the sense that my predictions stemmed from caring about an issue, or people saying something "can never happen"

The machine translation prediction in 1996 that European languages would be very good by 2006 seemed clear as a bell, but I didnt think of Google doing it for free. There was no google. I differed from Kurzweil in that I knew Japanese and Korean were harder, so assumed 5 years later. Then in 2001, when translator friends pushed me (and said I was nuts), I said Japanese and Korean into English between 2008 and 2015. Still on track if you follow the progress.

My highschool friend who was in a bad car accident in 1995 seemed essentially normal to me , but she had memory issues. She laughed after I told her about the machine translation prediction, "OK, Mr. Future, so when will I be normal? My neurologist says never." I also thought 'never' for 5 seconds, then thought "hold it... she's 25. If she lives to 75, that's... 2045...easily mild brain repair by then, and I didnt know about stem cells, etc. HIV was just nailed with inhibitors in 1995, a big deal, and I thought while 10 years of computer modeling wasn't enough, 20 years would be, so I told her 2016 as a ball park number.

Next up, I was the only person in a summer program with a science degree (physics) and the other 30 in the program thought it was weird I wasn't worried about global warming since that was a big topic in 1998. I tried to explain why the models are likely way off and how technology in the 2020s and 2030s should easily take care of any problem. I couldnt convince the social scientists that technology really will look different in 2030.

Cancer seemed likely to be 100% treatable by 2013 after the human genome was cracked, and if considering far better models by 2012. Kurzweil said 2009, but I think he changed in his latest book. I'll stick with 2013, and the NCI says the same thing by 2015. I hope it is sooner.

My point is that with basic information and assuming exponential computer power, the predictions may seem wild, but aren't. I admit that when I told my friend 2016 for mild brain repair, I was going out on a limb, and my conclusion surprised me as well since I thought mostly of things like limb regeneration by 2030s, etc. Not brain repair.

As for Kurzweil's 2030s and 2040s, to me that is still a black box as it was when 2040s scared me in highschool just because it seemed like it would be a very strange place relative to 1988. The only thing I don't buy is Kurzweil's immortality (not sure about them brain downloads either...), but do think he could be on the right track if he would let go of trying to find a mechanism like he does in his movie: "Super advanced AI will come down and collect the genetic material from my father's grave..." Say it takes until 433,150,432 March 7 before the dead rise, he cant possibly know how that could happen.

Edited by opendoor, 07 November 2009 - 11:39 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#93 KalaBeth

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Personally if i had know that, i would be rich now.

It's too bad for those who knew that internet was going to be huge if they didn't act.

I mean you just had to buy a few domain names or build basic website, for instance stock market website and wait to make huge profit.

If it makes you feel any better, biotech now "feels" like the internet did in the late 80's/early 90's.
Lots of mindbendingly incredible stuff happening in labs, but not a lot has filtered out yet into mass public consciousness or the public market.

If you're looking for another train to get on - that's the one I'd pick.
Any of the companies working on some variety of "give us a tissue sample and we'll grow you new heart tissue/skin graft/freakin' hair plugs" products are prolly gonna be huge someday soon.

No I don't have any specifics. But the tech's too game-changing and the potential market too big for some major players *not* to come out of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users