Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Dark Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 harsh

• 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Dark chocolate is produced by adding fat and sugar to cacao. It is chocolate without milk as an additive. It is sometimes called "plain chocolate". The U.S.

Government has no definition for dark chocolate, only "sweet chocolate", which requires a 15% concentration of chocolate liquor. Sweet chocolate is not

necessarily dark chocolate as there is no restriction of milk in it. European rules specify a minimum of 35% cocoa solids
---------------------------------------------------------------

White Chocolate
Dark Chocolate
Milky Delight Chocolate

Edited by Brainbox, 26 February 2009 - 10:38 PM.
Crank up the volume and use the links. :-)

#2 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

SPAM

#3 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

SPAM

<munch munch>Yes Rhodan, <nibble nibble> I think you might be right about that. <gobble> But these chocolate berrries are to die for. <milk gulp>

Attached Files

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 26 February 2009 - 04:52 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

where did u find them? ;)

#5 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

where did u find them? ;)

Oh, those scrumptious delectable morsels can be found by hitting the links in the first post. Technically it’s not really spam it’s more consistent with viral marketing, but it is soo tastefully done. I’m mean really Forever21, just look at those luscious chocolates, very pleasing to the senses are they not.

Attached Files

#6 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Is it also effective for elongating certain body parts?

#7 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

Is it also effective for elongating certain body parts?

I'm not sure, but it's like an orgasm for your taste buds. ;)

#8 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Well, multicolor chocolates do not appeal to me. I'll stick with my favorites :)

Attached Files

#9 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Do you really like that 99% chocolate? I have some of that but find it too bitter. 85% is good, though.

#10 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Well, I mostly eat the 85% but sometimes I feel like I need something stronger :) .

Lindt has a 90% also, but I don't like it.

#11 Moonbeam

• 174 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Dagoba has a 100% that is actually not bad, if you are really a chocolate lover. It kills the chocolate craving so I don't eat something bad, and really isn't the kind of thing I'd want to eat more than a few bites of at a time, so no danger of over-eating it.

#12 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Well, I mostly eat the 85% but sometimes I feel like I need something stronger :) .

Lindt has a 90% also, but I don't like it.

I use the 100%... melted into Coconut oil... and stevia to sweeten. The motivation to try it came from reading posts by Mind and others here doing it. But I didn't follow any set recipe, and 3 times now it has turned out well. I put it in the freezer and cut off a small chunk each day. Taste just like the chocolate coating on a brown mule and melts the same way. But 3 squares of the Ghirardelli 100% Cacao bar has 5.4mg iron though.

Edited by frankbuzin, 01 March 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#13 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

Could the poster be promoting the cardiovascular
benefits of chocolate and cocoa ?

Belgian chocolate is supposed to be amongst the
most tender and delicious in the world. I wish I could
remember that particular brand of the box I gave to
my office manager for Chinese New Year when visiting
his family way back in 1983. Bought one for myself too
just to try, and immediately a couple more after that,
with one for my sister.

I had not known about the superiority of Belgian chocolates
before I bought that box, but could never forget the way its
soft, exquisite taste melted slowly on my tongue. Makes
Cadbury and Van Houten seem like novices.

Both Cadbury and Van Houten have factories here in Malaysia.
I wouldn't touch any of their hopeless products in the
supermarkets here. The Van Houten ones are so badly made,
they taste like wood, I never bought another box again after
trying one out in the 70s. Cadbury's aren't any better, expensive
as well. The only reason they're selling well is heavy advertising.

http://images.google...a...sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.chocolatefountain.com.my/

http://www.visitbelg...m/chocolate.htm

http://www.chocolat.com/

http://users.skynet....t/uk/index.html

http://www.belvederechocolates.com/

http://www.leonidas-...m/products.html

#14 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

I am yet to be able to like dark chocolate :X
People are always telling me I should try more because there are really good ones but they are just not available in Israel ^^

#15 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

Plain dark or dairy chocolate for me only. I do like lindt also or milka but here in UK they just have cadbury and it's tastes like power, disgusting !

#16 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I thought I was pretty hardcore at 88% until reading this thread. Is 100% actually palatable? I do highly recommend Endangered Species dark chocolate if you are looking for a a quality 88% chocolate with only 5g of sugar per serving.

#17 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

I thought I was pretty hardcore at 88% until reading this thread. Is 100% actually palatable?

I use the Ghirardelli 100% Cacao, and by itself definitely not (to me). Mixed as described it is actually pretty good once solid. Making some just as soon as I cut up a few trees. Snowed in today, but as I work out of my house, I don't really get to take the day off. But I do have to get the tree off the house though.

#18 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

Lumberjacking while sucking down 100% dark chocolate. That will put hair on your chest for sure! ;)

#19 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Lumberjacking while sucking down 100% dark chocolate. That will put hair on your chest for sure! ;)

Let's hope not! Can't imagine getting any more of that. :p

One big snowball fight, and 2 tree's down... now only 1 tree left to go... after the chocolate and some lightly roasted black coffee.

I am going to be sore tomorrow... good times though. :p

#20 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Is 100% actually palatable?

No. It is an acquired taste. The non-sugar-sweetener + coconut oil + cocoa is a super recipe to make it more palatable. I also put chocolate/vanilla whey protein in my treats. Very addictive.

#21 Annan

• Guest, F@H
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:47 AM

I like the plamil chocolates rather a lot, not sure why but it might be the soya that they put in it.

I don't think it's got that high a cocoa content in it but it's not got any milk which is dark chocolate in my book.

Attached File  front_right_2.jpg   9.33KB   1 downloads Attached File  front_left_1.jpg   14.62KB   0 downloads Attached File  mixed2.gif   38.98KB   0 downloads
Attached File  whitedrops.jpg   9.58KB   0 downloads Attached File  chocpile.jpg   6.31KB   0 downloads Attached File  dropsmix.jpg   7.67KB   0 downloads

Anyone else like them?

They also make weird things like mayonnaise with chilli or flax oil.

Edited by Annan, 29 April 2009 - 01:48 AM.

#22 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

Dark chocolate is indeed an acquired taste. I used to go for milk chocolate (30% cocoa) back in the day, then started digging the 70% stuff, and recently, 80% has become the minimum. Anything below that still tastes very good, but eating it doesn't reduce my chocolate cravings enough, so I end up eating a 1,000 kcal and still feeling like I need to have me some more chocolate. Lindt 86% is the best I've tried so far. The 99% stuff I've learned to eat in small bits, but it's not the one I'd eat on a daily basis, given the choice.

#23 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Lindt 86% is the best I've tried so far

Agree :) Good or bad for health i don't know, but mmm, it 'saturates the mind'...

#24 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Lindt 86% is the best I've tried so far.

Lindt is very good but I can get 85% Valrhona at Trader Joe's on the cheap. I buy 10 at a time. Shaved 5 points off my systolic/diastolic just by adding dark chocolate to my diet. I dip it in almond butter.

#25 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

i eat about half a bar of lindt 72% per day. 2-3 squares in my hot oatmeal mix in the AM, 2-3 squares in the pm as snack w/ apples n peanut butter before going for a run.

it's a good source of copper/magnesium/manganese

Edited by prophets, 02 May 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#26 Ula.32

• 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

I absolutely love chocolate. The pictures look so tempting. My favorite chocolate brand is definitely Lindt. I am of the opinion that the chocolate produced by Lindt is always very tasty. What I like most are their different chocolate boxes. Unfortunately they are rather expensive. Honestly I must admit that I do not really like dark chocolate but besides this I like everything.

#27 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

86% is the highest I have seen in the shops but was delighted to see a 99% variety when I was in London. That 'Self Ridges' store sells just about absolutely everything!

Otherwise to get my fix, I just eat the raw cocoa nibs or drink some raw cocoa powder drink. Cocoa goodness :)

Dark Chocolate are tasty and interesting to but when we come to the dogs it is little serious issue which is based on the your dogs....

edit: spam removal from quoted text

Edited by niner, 29 July 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#28 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Seen at a pharmacy here the other day.

http://pharmacymalay...e...1&Itemid=64

http://www.vavalert.com/

#29 n25philly

• 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

Don't usually eat too much chocolate. I get the kashi dark chocolate oatmeal cookies if I see them on sale of if I have a coupon. Right now I am snacking on organic raw cacao nibs, and they taste exactly as I have always imagined it would be like for someone to go #2 directly in my mouth. They are healthy, have no sugar, and I did pay for them, so I guess I'll find a way to eat the whole bag over time. I think next go around I'll just supplement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users