• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivors of WWI trenches still alive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

UK survivor of WWI trenches given French honor

the World War I trenches, 110-year-old Harry Patch, seen here in …

LONDON – The last British survivor of World War I's grinding trench warfare was made an officer of the French Legion of Honor on Monday.

French Ambassador Maurice Gourdault-Montagne awarded 110-year-old Harry Patch the medal at a ceremony in Patch's nursing home in Wells, 120 miles (190 kilometers) west of London, Britain's Ministry of Defense said in a statement. Patch, who served as a machine-gunner in the 1917 Battle of Passchendaele, told Gourdault-Montagne he was proud of the honor.

"Ambassador, I greatly appreciate the way your people respect the memory of those who fell, irrespective of the uniform they wore," he said in a raspy, deliberate voice. "I will wear this medal with great pride and when I eventually rejoin my mates it will be displayed in my regimental museum as a permanent reminder of the kindness of the people of France."

Patch is one of only two surviving British veterans of World War I, according to the Ministry of Defense. The second, 112-year-old Henry Allingham, served as an airman.

Patch had already been made a Knight of the French Legion in 1998, along with more than 300 other veterans of the conflict, in which more than 8 million soldiers perished.

An officer of the French Legion of Honor is a higher rank.

Patch was called up for service in the British army in 1916 when he was working as an apprentice plumber. Thrown into the Allied offensive to take the village of Passchendaele, near the Belgian town of Ypres, he was badly wounded and three of his best friends were killed by shrapnel.

Patch was due to return to France when the war ended in 1918. He went home, returned to work as a plumber, and raised a family. He didn't start talking about his war experiences until the 21st century.

http://news.yahoo.co...ain_old_veteran

Attached File  capt.photo_1236609864908_1_0.jpg   17.1KB   25 downloads

One of the last British survivors of the World War I trenches, 110-year-old Harry Patch, seen here in 2008, was awarded one of France's highest honours in recognition of his "ultimate sacrifice"

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Nice.

#3 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

He looks like 80.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, he doesn't look as bad as many do at that age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users