Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

I just had my first root canal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

I grew up with zero tooth decay in my childhood, teens, and young adulthood, so I've never had to get any fillings or other dental work. (I turn 50 in November.)

Lately, however, my right upper second bicuspid and my left upper second molar both went bad.

I had to get the bicuspid extracted last week because the labial side had caved in and the root had an abscess. I can't afford a bridge or an implant for now, so I guess I'll go around looking like an Arizonan for a few months until I can figure out whether to do something about the absent tooth.

But the dentist decided that he could salvage my molar, so this afternoon I had my first root canal, build up and crown. It went a lot better than I expected from all the horror stories I've heard over the years about root canals. The novocaine has already worn off, and while the jaw above that molar feels a little sore, it doesn't hurt bad enough to justify taking one of the Vicodin tablets the dentist prescribed for me. In a couple weeks I'll get fitted with a permanent crown, and that should take care of the problem.

What kinds of experiences have you had with root canals?

#2 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

Incisor was succesful, upper left 2nd molar was bad. After the root canal a few days later my temperature increasd and vague pains around the area. Had to have it taken out. Though doing root canals in molars is more difficult that other front teeth.

#3 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:20 AM

I can't afford a bridge or an implant for now, so I guess I'll go around looking like an Arizonan for a few months until I can figure out whether to do something about the absent tooth.

You could ask about having a stayplate (flipper) made to replace the tooth for aesthetic purposes. A bonus is that while you're wearing it the teeth behind it will be prevented from drifting forward as often happens when someone loses a tooth. You'll still need to take it out to eat but as an intermediate-term solution I would certainly consider it. I don't know what the difference in expense is out there between a bridge and an implant but when the time comes remember that placing a bridge involves cutting into the two adjacent teeth and it also creates an area underneath the bridge that is fairly difficult to keep clean. There are certainly cases where a bridge is the superior or even only option but if the implant is a possibility that's the direction I would lean.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users