- - - - -

Do Paleo dieters look older or younger than vegetarians in their 30s-4

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

That video doesn't show me much other than some jowl or something I hadn't noticed before, he has a bad haircut, and he doesn't have much of a personality.

This shot of him is no where near close enough to really see what's going in around his eyes. I also would not put it past him to have worn make-up for this interview.

The dude looks great, but I don't think he's going to hold onto this look for much longer. If he does, it will likely be due to some type of cosmetic treatment, not his vegan diet.

Cynicism. You believe that because you are late 30s and already show some deterioration that he must. Vegan diets have been clinically shown to lower IGF-1, which has been associated with a plethora of health downfalls. Consider that. There are several other people on vegan/raw food diets who look good for their age.

The main reasons I show signs of deterioration outward and inward are stress(beginning back to when I was a child), excessive sun exposure, excessive drinking, many periods in which I was very sleep deprived, and the obvious one-my age. Take away all these, and I would look like one extremely young 37 year old. Most people that meet me for the first time think I'm in between 29 and 32. Some people actually think I'm as young as 26.

Dude, take a very close look at the area to the side of and below Leto's mouth in the video. Jowl may not have been the right word for it, but I bet it was not as pronounced 5 or 10 years ago.

This is getting pointless. You just seem envious of how youthful jared looks. Most people my age or younger think he doesn't look past 25. It is only older, envious males (such as yourself) who seem to think he looks older. I will take my leave by saying that young girls have very strong instincts. I will believe their output before that of an older male.

Edited by TheFountain, 19 December 2010 - 10:12 AM.

• dislike x 1

#62 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

You're right this is getting pointless, it was kinda pointless from the beginning, but I chose to take part in the discussion anyway. Sometimes pointless is what I do.

Of course I'm envious of people like Leto that obviously have lived lives that protected them from damage and maintained their very youthful look, Just because I say the things I believe to be true about him, does not mean I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm envious and I think that he looks great for his age, or any age for that matter.

I just want to see him up close, in person, no make-up(not saying he wears make-up all the time), and smiling wide or making other strong facial expression. I bet he has a few more fine lines that what it appears in videos and pictures taken off the internet.

I don't think young girls are a good judge of age, they actually may be the worst. I know, I know, this sounds counterintuitive. It's been my experience, that often times the people that are best at guessing someone's age are those that are older than the person. All the young people I work with thought I was much younger than the people I work with that are my age or older. A rep for a product we sell guessed that I was one year older than I am, she is in her late 50s or early 60s.

I do think eating well has helped Jared Leto look young. I don't think excluding meat has much to do with his looks though, especially if he ate a light well balanced diet that included meat(and fat that comes with it). Everything in moderation. Well, maybe not everything, but you know what I mean.

As far as your friends go that drank and smoked and looked like shit for their age, I bet they didn't eat well and exercise as well. I bet they smoked quite a bit everyday for a long time and they drank more that the average person in their 20s that drinks mostly on the weekends. I don't believe smoking and drinking affects outward appearance or inner health nearly as much if they are not being done all the time and they are balanced by other good habits. I'm talking mainly about weekend partying, this is what I did for the most part. Although I did have a fairly short periods where I was drinking 5 or 6 days a weeks. But mostly I just did 2 to 3 days a week, sometimes 4, and I took a few months off drinking entirely 1 or 2 times a years.
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

Here is Anthony Kiedis around 41 or 42 after years of abusing his body with drugs and getting tons of sun exposure. I personally think he still looks pretty damn good for his age at 48. Yes he is now a vegetarian and has been for a while, but I don't think he started until sometime in his 30s. He was never vegan and now eats fish.

http://t2.gstatic.co...g-Rpe3RD_C5liSg

http://t1.gstatic.co...e4dhpPHL8UiUe7Q

Edited by morganator, 19 December 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#64 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Most middle aged people guess me at being at least 5 years younger than my age, most teenage girls about the same, maybe a little younger. I think older people tend to just overshoot sometimes for some odd reason, especially when asked how old someone is. The default position is 'this person must be older, or else they wouldn't be asking'.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#65 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

I think older people tend to just overshoot sometimes for some odd reason, especially when asked how old someone is. The default position is 'this person must be older, or else they wouldn't be asking'.

That's silly. Older people have more experience at seeing people of -all- ages and therefor would be more likely to make a closer, accurate guess than a younger person.

#66 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

Most middle aged people guess me at being at least 5 years younger than my age, most teenage girls about the same, maybe a little younger. I think older people tend to just overshoot sometimes for some odd reason, especially when asked how old someone is. The default position is 'this person must be older, or else they wouldn't be asking'.

Agree. This happens to me all the time. One minute, I'm proofed hard for cigarettes and alcohol, and the next minute, a middle aged person is telling me I look 'no older than 35'.
I used to be so hung up on this, but care so little as of late.
Don't know what stress I lost or inner serenity I gained, but my at-the-moment anxiety is 0 percent now. I just look matter of factly and wait for the guesses to happen, typically anywhere from 23 to 35, with mid to late 20s being the average (I stand and wait, with little anxiety now, cause it is always someone else putting me on the spot and asking others to guess my age. I never ever ask it. Too discombobulating).
BTW, Me: vegan, 42 in 2 months.
Vegans and vegetarians definitely look younger than posers on waste of time diets like the paleo diet.

Edited by Brafarality, 19 December 2010 - 11:45 PM.

• like x 1

#67 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

I think older people tend to just overshoot sometimes for some odd reason, especially when asked how old someone is. The default position is 'this person must be older, or else they wouldn't be asking'.

That's silly. Older people have more experience at seeing people of -all- ages and therefor would be more likely to make a closer, accurate guess than a younger person.

Bullshit.
  • dislike x 2

#68 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

Bullshit.

Thats exactly what I thought when I read your post, I just decided to use a little more tact. Must be my old age.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#69 mia22

• 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:25 AM

This has got to be one of the dumbest threads I've read here in a while.
Way too many variables at play here imo.
  • like x 1

#70 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

Bullshit.

Lol! First you say older people are better at guessing your age (teenage girls estimate you as much younger than you really are), and then you call "bullshit" on the above statement. Priceless.

So in essence you're saying that since teenagers think you look younger than you are, they are better at guessing people's ages.
  • dislike x 1

#71 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

Bullshit.

Lol! First you say older people are better at guessing your age (teenage girls estimate you as much younger than you really are), and then you call "bullshit" on the above statement. Priceless.

So in essence you're saying that since teenagers think you look younger than you are, they are better at guessing people's ages.

No, I am saying that the psychology behind the reasoning older people overshoot is twofold. 1-They assume you wanting them to guess their age means you are older (younger people assume less) and 2-Envy/jealousy, they try to belittle your morale because they themselves have not achieved what you have. But then again I cannot really claim the latter fully because 26 is still fairly young. But I was referring to people who have. Like leto etc

Edited by TheFountain, 20 December 2010 - 12:14 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#72 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

No, I am saying that the psychology behind the reasoning older people overshoot is twofold. 1-They assume you wanting them to guess their age means you are older (younger people assume less) and 2-Envy/jealousy, they try to belittle your morale because they themselves have not achieved what you have. But then again I cannot really claim the latter fully because 26 is still fairly young. But I was referring to people who have. Like leto etc

No tact: This is the biggest bunch of immature bullshit I have read on these forums in a while. You REALLY think people in general have envy and jealous just because they are older? Dude, you seriously are messed up if you believe that. Sure it is true in a few cases, but for the most part people aren't like that.
  • dislike x 1

#73 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

No tact: This is the biggest bunch of immature bullshit I have read on these forums in a while. You REALLY think people in general have envy and jealous just because they are older? Dude, you seriously are messed up if you believe that. Sure it is true in a few cases, but for the most part people aren't like that.

It's been my observation. This envy is just disguised as a wonderful 'ability to guess someones age' which is still off when they guess me being around 20 even though i'm 26. lol
  • dislike x 1

#74 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

It's been my observation. This envy is just disguised as a wonderful 'ability to guess someones age' which is still off when they guess me being around 20 even though i'm 26. lol

You honestly think people with less experience have more accuracy? Do you honestly think people envy others just because they are younger? This is a horribly naive and immature stand point. I am also not sure why you keep bringing up your 'expertise' with teenage girls, because to be honest, who cares about teenage girls ...or most girls in thier mid 20's for that matter, they know exactly jack about life and most arent even close to having thier priorities stright. I suppose it explains some of maturity level and thought process in the posts you make, but it really is irrelevant. My view point may be skewed because I am 36 year old that looks better and is in better shape than most guys 15 years younger, but I really dont think it is.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 20 December 2010 - 06:50 PM.

#75 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

You honestly think people with less experience have more accuracy? Do you honestly think people envy others just because they are younger? This is a horribly naive and immature stand point. I am also not sure why you keep bringing up your 'expertise' with teenage girls, because to be honest, who cares about teenage girls ...or most girls in thier mid 20's for that matter, they know exactly jack about life and most arent even close to having thier priorities stright. I suppose it explains some of maturity level and thought process in the posts you make, but it really is irrelevant. My view point may be skewed because I am 36 year old that looks better and is in better shape than most guys 15 years younger, but I really dont think it is.

On the contrary I have met alot of young girls who are more sophisticated and advanced in their thinking than some 30 something year olds and older. I don't think chronological age necessarily equates to more experience. This is a myth. The average 11 year old middle eastern child has had more life experience than the average 25 year old western adult. Nothing is stream-lined or linear.

#76 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

On the contrary I have met alot of young girls who are more sophisticated and advanced in their thinking than some 30 something year olds and older. I don't think chronological age necessarily equates to more experience.

Sure, not necessarily ....however in a given culture (and honestly comparing cross culture like you did is silly) it most definately heavily leans towards age = experience. Sure you have cases of 40 year old virgins, so to speak ...and 19 year old war vets that have killed 30 people and lost a limb, but on AVERAGE ... greater age = greater experience. It is absolutely foolish to believe otherwise.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 20 December 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#77 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

On the contrary I have met alot of young girls who are more sophisticated and advanced in their thinking than some 30 something year olds and older. I don't think chronological age necessarily equates to more experience.

Sure, not necessarily ....however in a given culture (and honestly comparing cross culture like you did is silly) it most definately heavily leans towards age = experience. Sure you have cases of 40 year old virgins, so to speak ...and 19 year old war vets that have killed 30 people and lost a limb, but on AVERAGE ... greater age = greater experience. It is absolutely foolish to believe otherwise.

We're not talking about the average though and never have been, so the default position still stands firm in this argument.

#78 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

We're not talking about the average though and never have been, so the default position still stands firm in this argument.

We werent talking about the average person's opinion? So we were talking about experts then?

#79 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:36 AM

I thought we already settled this topic.

You always see Vegetarians/Vegans who look young for their age. It is common knowledge and people assume that someone is doing vegetarian/vegan if they happen to look young for their age. And usually they are right. Forget this overused, gay-obsession with Jared Leto. Just join any vegan/raw vegan forums, go to their restaurants and see for yourself with your own eyes how young they look for their age. Its not uncommon to see guys in their 50s who look like they're in their 20s/30s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsdLJqj-Ss

You don't see a lot of Paleo people in their 50s walking around looking like teenagers/20somethings do ya? Anyone who wants to look young and thinking of going Paleo should look at the face of Mark Sisson. In fact, every Paleo book should have Mark Sisson's picture as a warning label. He and Hugh Hefner (84) look like brothers.

Posted Image

Protein is not your friend. Its just not.

http://www.imminst.o..._20#entry428539
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#80 Zaul

• 120 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

I thought we already settled this topic.

You always see Vegetarians/Vegans who look young for their age. It is common knowledge and people assume that someone is doing vegetarian/vegan if they happen to look young for their age. And usually they are right. Forget this overused, gay-obsession with Jared Leto. Just join any vegan/raw vegan forums, go to their restaurants and see for yourself with your own eyes how young they look for their age. Its not uncommon to see guys in their 50s who look like they're in their 20s/30s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsdLJqj-Ss

You don't see a lot of Paleo people in their 50s walking around looking like teenagers/20somethings do ya? Anyone who wants to look young and thinking of going Paleo should look at the face of Mark Sisson. In fact, every Paleo book should have Mark Sisson's picture as a warning label. He and Hugh Hefner (84) look like brothers.

Posted Image

http://www.imminst.o..._20#entry428539

i love how you deliberately choose to post the worst low res photo of Mark Sisson just to prove your false theory

lets see now some famous vegans

Posted Image

Ellen in this photo looks at least 10 years older than her real age (52yo)

Posted Image

Joaquin phoenix age 36?

See i know very well how to play the game with photos

Edited by Master, 27 December 2010 - 05:12 AM.

• dislike x 2

#81 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Neither is sugar. But paleo doesn't mean high protein. Maybe you're thinking of a low carb, high meat version of paleo, but that's not the only paleo game in town.

#82 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

My personal, completely subjective and unscientific, experience, is that vegetarians look younger. I met a guy at a party a few months ago who I thought was around 21/22. I was honestly shocked (no doubt to his absolute pleasure) when he told me he was 29. The dude's face was wrinkle-less and he was pretty skinny. Made me at least reflect a bit.

#83 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:53 AM

Curious that no one mentions one of the most, if not the most, famous vegan LEO. Born in 1974, on the right he is 35 but looks 40 to me. Not sure of the age of the left pic.

Posted Image

Edited by JohnD60, 24 February 2011 - 04:56 AM.

#84 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Leo smokes, goes in the sun a lot, he looks kinda big (overweight), there's a big different between eating a 'healthy' vegetarian diet and a standard junk food vegetarian diet.
  • like x 2

#85 capsun

• 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

He still looks better than most people his age.

#86 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

He still looks better than most people his age.

That's why he's a celebrity. It means nothing unless we can see what his paleo identical twin looks like.
  • like x 1

#87 capsun

• 65 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

That's why he's a celebrity. It means nothing unless we can see what his paleo identical twin looks like.

Right. I don't think he's a good model of aging or anything.

#88 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

Me a few days before turning 42, with my entourage, who range from 18-31 in age:

Posted Image
None of them is a GF, just cool kats. Guess Im kind of like a magnet for fag-hags, since just about everyone thinks i am half a fag anyway, though I am not really, though I find many guys very attractive and am completely open to anything and everything. [Was freezing night: wearing 2 shirts under that sweater, so it makes me look like pushing maximum density, but am not]
BTW: VEGAN
[used to be paulthekind, if anyone recognizes- posted a bunch of pics in 2008 just before 40. announced change to brafarality in a post, but not sure if anyone saw it]
Nuff for now. Cheers.

Edited by Brafarality, 02 March 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#89 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

Curious that no one mentions one of the most, if not the most, famous vegan LEO. Born in 1974, on the right he is 35 but looks 40 to me. Not sure of the age of the left pic.

Posted Image

I really find it humorous that so many of you young guys think some of these celebrities look older than what the average person their age looks. Leo look 35 to me. I think the expression and angle of his face, the more grown in facial hair, and the color from the sun all contribute to giving him a bit of an older look.

Why were these photos place together? Do you know what was being compared here? I'm not sure he is hardly any younger in the first pic.
  • like x 1

#90 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:49 AM

Me a few days before turning 42, with my entourage, who range from 18-31 in age:

Posted Image
None of them is a GF, just cool kats. Guess Im kind of like a magnet for fag-hags, since just about everyone thinks i am half a fag anyway, though I am not really, though I find many guys very attractive and am completely open to anything and everything. [Was freezing night: wearing 2 shirts under that sweater, so it makes me look like pushing maximum density, but am not]
BTW: VEGAN
[used to be paulthekind, if anyone recognizes- posted a bunch of pics in 2008 just before 40. announced change to brafarality in a post, but not sure if anyone saw it]
Nuff for now. Cheers.

Do you have any close up pics? You do look pretty young for 42.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users