Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Best toothbrush for whitening?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Barksdale

• 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

Best toothbrush for whitening of my teeth? Looking for a new one..

#2 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

You're looking up the wrong alley if you want to whiten your teeth. Brushing your teeth effectively can remove plaque deposits and food particles but it has no impact on the shade of the tooth. The long-term exception to this is if you brush aggressively with toothpaste containing an abrasive for many years thinning the translucent enamel layer causing the yellow of the dentin to show through better.

The safest, most effective way to lighten your teeth rapidly is to have custom bleaching trays constructed by a dentist and apply a peroxide solution to your teeth either in office or at home over the course of a few nights. The results of this can really be incredible. Alternately you could try some of the at-home whitening solutions but I've never seen any results I'd call impressive from using this method. The only downside I'm aware of with bleaching trays is possible sensitivity which will go away after you stop using the peroxide. Obviously if you have existing tooth-colored restorations such as composite fillings or ceramic crowns they're not going to lighten with your teeth.

As for selecting a toothbrush - go with a soft or extra-soft brush depending on the health of your gums. If your gums are healthy you can use a soft brush without harming them. If not, the extra-soft will be kinder to the gums but will likely wear out more quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users