• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate this book? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this book?

1. 5 stars (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. 4 stars (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. 3 stars (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. 2 stars (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. 1 star (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Posted Image

I have to be honest, this book changed my life. As a college student with a pretty sedentary lifestyle, I wasn’t doing anything to help my health even though for years
I’ve been telling myself to diet and exercise, but I just never had to motivation till now. TRANSCEND is an amazing book which is a mnemonic for

Talk with your doctor
Relaxation
Assessment
Nutrition
Supplementation
Calorie reduction
Exercise
New technologies
Detoxification

I read several books about health but this is the first (next to Fantastic Voyage) that compiles everything together to provide a serious life extension regime. Plus the fact it was written by the most renowned transhumanist was all that I needed to know to read it.

The book was written in mind for adults 45+; though it could easily be applied to anyone over 18.

Overall, to make this review sort, the book covers every base in maintaining a healthy life style imo. However there was only one thing I wanted to address, that I think Ray went a little overboard.

We all know Ray is a big fan of supplements and takes up 250 pills a day to "reprogram his biochemistry", even though Aubrey de Grey doesn’t take any. Thus the problem arises when Ray and Terry recommend dozens of supplements without much discussion of how much to take and whether actual conclusive medical studies have shown any pros or cons of taking that many supplements in the long run. They don’t address questions like “would alpha-lipoic-acid or CoQ10 be good for ME”, “would high doses of grape seed extract really slow down the aging process?”, etc. They present support to advocate the consumption of particular supplements sold from their website, but don’t present all the evidence behind it. Oh one more thing. In “new technologies”, they talk about genomics, collecting stem cells, etc, but they don’t talk about cryonics which I think was disappointing (even though it's not a new techonology, still cryonics imo is very important).

Still, I loved this book and recommend it to everyone! It’s almost like a bible for what to do with existing resources to live as long as possible.
:-D
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 rhodeder

• 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

Looks like a great book im going to add it to my wishlist

#3 Llama Chris

• 28 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

I read Fantastic Voyage in March, am contemplating purchasing this but I wonder how much information is new? What you say on supplements is a little disheartening as I think that is something that is very important to get the right information on.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:27 AM

I read Fantastic Voyage in March, am contemplating purchasing this but I wonder how much information is new? What you say on supplements is a little disheartening as I think that is something that is very important to get the right information on.

Well they talk a lot about supplements and they cover the most important ones very well, it's just that along with the well known ones like EPA/DHA, Resveratrol, etc, they go on to talk about almost all the vitamins and some acids (ALA, CLA, etc) which are good, but the book advocate them in a way that other doctors might be skeptical about since after all, all the supplements in the book can be found on their website (so it seems kinda like a conflict of interest; then again I'm not a biochemist so I can't really verify whether these supps are good or not overall I just take their word and do some research online :-D ). But don't let this discourage you from buying this book! It is a very excellent book about an overall life extension life style.

I would say about 40% of the material has been updated with new studies and about 60%-70% of the books is overall different from the previous. Most of the chapters were rewritten.

#5 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Huh, I wonder why so many people gave this book low ratings? I thought it was great.

#6 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the tip.

However, are there any movies concerning this issue too?

#7 harris13.3

• 87 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

I'm thinking of reading this book but do you think I should read Fantastic Voyage first?

#8 CerebralCortex

• 123 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Huh, I wonder why so many people gave this book low ratings? I thought it was great.

It's either trolls or people who haven't read it but have an unfounded preconception of what its like. I actually look forward to reading it.

#9 FNC

• 152 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'm thinking of reading this book but do you think I should read Fantastic Voyage first?

From what I understand Fantastic Voyage does a lot of citations in terms of studies and research regarding lifestyle. In contrast, Transcend is a program
aimed at developing a more personalised regimen to live long enough to live forever.

I attained a pre-release copy of Transcend; though I have not read Fantastic Voyage in full. If you go to the following link, you can download a very handy
guide which covers the main points geared towards developing a better lifestyle - it is titled 'A Short Guide to a Long Life'

http://www.fantastic.../ShortGuide.htm

#10 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

I loved Fantastic Voyage. I autta add this to my list.

....It's a big list. =/

#11 cloudcell

• Life Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

This is the most deep and comprehensive manual on maintaining one's health I am aware of (I've been doing personal research on the subject for quite a while).

One of its authors, Ray Kurzweil, works as a director of engineering at Googleleading projects involving machine learning and language processing. With Google's resources (google-books, among other things), Ray potentially has immediate access to the largest library of cutting edge research currently in existence. 

On the other hand, some recommendations do not contain references to scientific studies. (I would've put them in endnotes). However, I've been able to get the answers at the site of the book by emailing customer support. At the same time, one of the questions I asked has been forwarded to the authors already, which is really great.

Overall -- the best book I found so far. I finally started acting.

#12 cloudcell

• Life Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

(misposted and deleted)

Edited by crowdcell, 29 October 2014 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users