Photo

Guanfacine

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:18 AM

It's not a generic yet, is it? Does anyone know when it will become generic. How much does it cost at a pharmacy? Do you know of any vendors that sell it?

#2 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

It's not a generic yet, is it? Does anyone know when it will become generic. How much does it cost at a pharmacy? Do you know of any vendors that sell it?

yes, its generic. i don't work at your pharmacy, perhaps you should ask someone who does? i'm sure you could wait for Shire to sell you a different coloured pill at 1000% markup in a year or two though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:56 AM

I know I made a similar topic like this one, but this is more direct. Does anyone know a reputable site that carries it w/o RX required?

#4 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Every online pharmacy I found that sell guanfacine ask for a prescription. I'm in Canada and Guanfacine isn't approved here. The irony is that most online pharmacy that carry guanfacine pretend to be based in Canada. I don't think I want to make a fake prescription even I'm pretty sure they don't even look at it. Do you know a reliable online pharmacy that carry guanfacine?

#5 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Bump to this.

Any overseas (non-American or Canadian) pharmacies (for example Indian) that sell Guanfacine?

Edited by Visionary7903, 15 June 2009 - 12:09 PM.

#6 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:01 AM

Another bump for this. Can anyone help? I'm trying to locate Guanfacine also.

#7 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

I can't seem to find it anywhere myself. I emailed United Pharmacies and AllDayChemist to see if they could get it in stock. United Pharmacies did that once before for me.... maybe they will this time. I suppose no one else has found a source yet?

#8 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

Emailed a few pharmacies and noone seems to have a source for it. You can buy a powder form here:

http://www.tocris.co...php?ItemId=1059
  • like x 1

#9 Andy82

• 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

Has anyone found any reliable online sources for Guanfacine?

#10 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:24 AM

Haven't seen guanfacine, but is there a particular reason that you need guanfacine instead of clonidine? Clonidine is pretty easy to find: http://www.magicphar...f473c1653c4cfdd

#11 Andy82

• 24 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

Haven't seen guanfacine, but is there a particular reason that you need guanfacine instead of clonidine? Clonidine is pretty easy to find: http://www.magicphar...f473c1653c4cfdd

I'm interested in trying it for ADHD in addition to stimulants.

#12 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:24 AM

yes, its generic. i don't work at your pharmacy, perhaps you should ask someone who does? i'm sure you could wait for Shire to sell you a different coloured pill at 1000% markup in a year or two though.

You don't need to work at a pharmacy to know this. Either look up the drug in a drug reference guide to see if its avaiable from more then one supplier or check the drug formulary for your state/province.

#13 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

I'm interested in trying it for ADHD in addition to stimulants.

Clonidine is used for the exact same purpose, and IIRC, the results are about the same. Makes sense, as the mechanism of action is the same. Both chemicals are centrally acting alpha-adrenergic agonists. (Say that 3 times fast! I sure can't.) They reduce hyperactivity, impulsivity, anxiety, and blood pressure. I don't know of any data on how much either drug helps with attention. The only difference between guanfacine and clonidine is that clonidine is significantly active at several alpha-adrenergic receptors, while guanfacine is more selective for the alpha-2 adrenergic receptor. So far as I know, this doesn't produce any difference in effectiveness or tolerability. But I'm not an expert on adrenergic drugs.

If you're interested, dosing of clonidine is usually 0.1mg once at morning and once again at night, though of course some people have to adjust their doses or the schedule of dosing. Insufficient effects can be dealt with by increasing to 0.2 mg once in the morning, or once in morning and once at night. Excessive sedation can be dealt with by breaking the 0.1mg tablet in half and taking 0.05mg in the morning -- but you aren't going to get excessive sedation from 0.1mg.

Edited by jadamgo, 05 November 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#14 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Guanfacine, but not clonidine, improves planning and working memory performance in humans.

The present study compares, using a double-blind, placebo controlled design the effects of two alpha 2-agonists, clonidine (0.5, 2, and 5 micrograms/kg) and guanfacine (7 and 29 micrograms/kg) on spatial working memory, planning and attentional set-shifting, functions thought to be dependent on the "central executive" of the prefrontal cortex. Blood pressure and the subjective feeling of sedation were affected equally by clonidine and guanfacine. The 0.5 microgram/kg and 5 micrograms/kg doses of clonidine disrupted spatial working memory, but the medium dose had no effect. The 0.5 and 2 micrograms/kg doses of clonidine increased impulsive responding in the planning test. The 5 micrograms/kg dose of clonidine slowed responding at effortful levels of planning and attentional set-shifting tests. The 29 micrograms/kg dose of guanfacine improved spatial working memory and planning. Guanfacine had no effect on attentional set-shifting. These data indicate that guanfacine improved planning and spatial working memory, but clonidine dose-dependently disrupted performance. It is possible that the greater selectivity of guanfacine for alpha 2A-adrenoceptor subtype may underlie its differences from clonidine.

PMID: 10192826

Clonidine, but not guanfacine, impairs choice reaction time performance in young healthy volunteers.

The present study compares the effects of two alpha 2-adrenoceptor agonists, clonidine (0.5, 2, and 5 micrograms/kg, p.o.), and guanfacine (7 and 29 micrograms/kg, p.o.), in young healthy volunteers on attentional performance. A placebo-controlled double-blind cross-over design (one drug dose/group) was employed. Neither of the drugs affected measures of motor performance or performance at easy levels in an attentional test. However, at the most difficult level in the attentional test, the highest dose of clonidine (5 micrograms/kg), but not guanfacine, decreased the number of correct responses and increased reaction latency. Clonidine 5 and guanfacine 29 micrograms/kg equally increased subjective feelings of sedation and reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressures. Thus, the effects of the drugs on attentional performance could be dissociated from their sedative effects. The results demonstrate that clonidine, but not guanfacine, disrupts performance in an attentional task requiring effortful processing, while leaving performance intact in tests requiring more automatic processing. The lower alpha 2A-vs. alpha 2C-adrenoceptor selectivity ratio of clonidine and the affinity for alpha 1-adrenoceptors of clonidine may be responsible for the different action of these drugs on attention.

PMID:

Differences in psychic performance with guanfacine and clonidine in normotensive subjects.

1. Doses of clonidine 0.15 mg or guanfacine 1.0 mg, respectively, and 2 h later additional doses of clonidine 0.3 mg or guanfacine 2.0 mg, respectively, were given to 24 healthy students. 2. Blood pressure was reduced by the same amount by both drugs. 3. Plasma noradrenaline concentrations decreased with both drugs, but the reduction was significantly greater following the administration of clonidine. 4. Mental activity in the EEG was less suppressed in the guanfacine group than in the clonidine group. The differences were statistically significant. 5. Self-estimations for well-being and mood showed only small changes due to guanfacine but significant changes due to clonidine. 6. The decrease of information processing and the increase in reaction time, measured by performance in different psychometric tests, were significantly more pronounced after clonidine treatment than guanfacine. 7. A dose-response relationship could only be observed in vigilosomnograms, in the tests of self-estimation related to well-being and mood and in the decrease in plasma noradrenaline in the clonidine group. 8. It was concluded that guanfacine had a lesser CNS depressant action than clonidine, when administered in equipotent hypotensive doses.

PMID:

Guanfacine is near the top of my list of drugs to try.  Clonidine is definitely anxiolytic for me, but it also causes a large degree of sedation and metal sluggishness.  Here in the United States guanfacine is dirt cheap even without insurance... $3.50 for a month's supply.

#15 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

For folks outside the United States.  This USA-based company carries guanfacine and ships internationally to many countries without a prescription.

Anyone in the Canada, the UK, etc. want to buy me some and then ship it back to me?  ;)

http://www.internati...en/restrictions

• like x 1

#16 Andy82

• 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I think i'll place an order for Guanfacine when I have an opportunity.

#17 pedr0vsky

• 102 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the pharmacy info, i just ordered some.
KimberCT did you look on google for europe forwarding mail service, i think there's a few...

#18 Golestan

• 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

If you cannot get the stuff anywhere else, order it fro China.  That is where I get my Alagebrium (ATL711) from.

#19 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

If you cannot get the stuff anywhere else, order it fro China.  That is where I get my Alagebrium (ATL711) from.

What is your source for alt711?

#20 atrw55

• 20 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

where it buy in Europe?

#21 Nick Kyz

• 107 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Guanfacine is now available on IRC.Bio: http://irc.bio/product/guanfacine/

#22 Babakk

• 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

Does anyone know where I can get hold of Guanfacine XR reliably?

#23 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:05 AM

Old thread, but anyone with a reliable vendor selling Guanfacine? Internationalpharmacy.com is selling it https://internationa...arch=guanfacine, 100 pills in generic form for $183 which feels a little steep. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#24 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:30 AM

Found another vendor selling Guanfacine. Just powder though - https://teamtlr.com/...acine&results=2

Most dosages are in the 1mg ~ 3mg range. Measuring out just 1mg sounds pretty annoying

Edited by floweryriddle, 01 September 2018 - 05:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users