Photo
- - - - -

Group subscription for "Rejuvenation Research" journal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 Pour_la_Science

• 128 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

Since it seems that something like that existed before but not now anymore ( http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=30512 ), I propose something for everyone who would be interested in the journal "Rejuvenation Research".

Posted Image

For those who don't know it, this journal was created to focus on aging on a more "engineered-based solutions to aging" rather than "simply" studying aging.
This point of view seems to be more coherent with the theories of Aubrey de Grey. Normal, since he is the editor in chief of this journal.
However, this is not a journal which revolves only around Aubrey de Grey: Except his editorial, you would find a majority of studies of researchers from differents opinions and points of views, so that all the theories are finally discussed.

See here, for more details : (Moreover, you've got a free edition if you want to have a more precise look)
http://www.liebertpu...ct.aspx?pid=127

The fact is: the one year subscription costs 411€ (online only, without paper version). This is quite expensive. That's why, if some of you are interested, it could be iuseful to do a group subscription, and the price would be only like a normal subscription, while you could read it normally since it's a digital edition.

I don't know exactly how or who could gather all the shares of the subscription, but this doesn't seem to be the most complicated.

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 05 June 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#2 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

Sorry I meant $411 (which is about 294€)

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

Liebert would not allow the Institute to get a group subscription back in 2007. We proposed that the Institute would pay for the subscription and then only members would have access. They did not agree to those terms. Eventually I was able to negotiate a reduced rate for individual online subscriptions. Institute members paid $20 for a one year online subscription (very reasonable). If there was a large number of people interested in another subscription we could look into it again.

#4 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

Liebert would not allow the Institute to get a group subscription back in 2007. We proposed that the Institute would pay for the subscription and then only members would have access. They did not agree to those terms. Eventually I was able to negotiate a reduced rate for individual online subscriptions. Institute members paid $20 for a one year online subscription (very reasonable). If there was a large number of people interested in another subscription we could look into it again.

$20 instead of $411, it seems to be quite interesting ! :|o I don't know what number of people would be enough, but you could count me in for the group subscription if it's this price. Maybe we could make a list of all the persons interested ? (Here, for example, I don't know)

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 06 June 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

I would sign up again. So +1

#6 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

Can we use airline miles to subscribe? :-) Wonder why it is so expensive.

#7 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

I think this one, and the majority of all the scientific publications, are expensive because of two elements : the subscribers are generally institutional, so have usuallly important budgets, that can even be extended if the subscription price increases, maybe more easily than your salary ;) .and second, there aren't so many scientific journals, so much less competition compared to the other publication fields.
This could explain the increase of the subscriptions costs these years. But I think the price is chosen by the publishers (Mary Ann Liebert) not by the editor.
Anyway, we wouldn't have to pay $400 if we group together.

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 06 June 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

thanks for the suggestion Pour La Science the Recorders deadline is June 19th

I strongly suspect the conclusion will be, as Mind has stated:

If there was a large number of people interested in another subscription we could look into it again.

#9 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Ok, that's perfect, let's do that so ;) . It.s a shame we can't update the first post, but I can update regularly the results :
So :

List of people interested in a group subscription for Rejuvenation research :
-Pour la Science
-cnorwood

If you are interested, just post a message here, PM me, email me : pourlascience@googlemail.com (: It's only an address that I've created for that, I will delete it after)

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 08 June 2009 - 03:59 PM.

#10 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

I checked the records, and it looks like we had approximately 38 members sign up for the subscription last time around.

#11 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

Is it compulsory that they are all ''full member'' of ImmInst ?

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 08 June 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#12 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Is it compulsory that they are all ''full member'' of ImmInst ?

Yes, otherwise it would be as if Liebert is offering a low priced subscription to the entire world (or at least anyone who takes the time to register at the Imminst website).

#13 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

I would definitely be interested, so +1.

#14 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

$20 instead of $411, it seems to be quite interesting ! :)

Yes.

I would sign on again.

#15 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:40 PM

Where do I send my check?

#16 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

yes I'm also interested

#17 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:59 AM

Lol, I like that idea, Ghostrider. We totally need some frequent flyer miles up in this bitch........

#18 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:52 AM

Honestly, I would contribute money, but I am completely impecunious. I was wondering if perhaps what I could do is raise money somehow instead. Devon, what was that proposition you were telling me about regarding life extension advocacy? Is there any possible way that I could get on board with that one, and raise money for the group through such an avenue? I mean, I don't necessarily want to become a full-fledged member, as this would be for wholly selfish reasons. Instead, I want to be able to raise money for the collective whole of the organization, perhaps by writing lobbyists and members of Congress to support life extension research. I would far prefer to advocate this to lobbyists as opposed to celebrities, as lobbyists would more likely be able to push more legislation into such research. Celebrities are really mere puppets on a string. They may promote causes, but they have utterly no connections other than pure status. Lobbyists have connections to the actual corpus legitati of Washington. So we should push lobbyists into galvanizing members of Congress to pass legislation into this. It would also be helpful if we could get some scientists on board with this. Does anyone, by any chance, have any connection to scientists in the field of biogenetic engineering? Or are you yourself in this field?

* I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, as all of these ideas are coming to me at once (:

Lol, I like that idea, Ghostrider. We totally need some frequent flyer miles up in this bitch........

#19 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:04 AM

um Lauren why don't you go to forums, and than project ideas, I think it is, and look for my topic on political advocacy and lobbying and post this question there?

Edited by dfowler, 10 June 2009 - 02:04 AM.

#20 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

UPDATE

-Pour la Science
-cnorwood
-Johan
-dnamechanic
-dfowler
-mixter
-cnorwood
-epicureanideal (to be confirmed)

Thanks for you interest all :)

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 10 June 2009 - 08:05 AM.

#21 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

Sorry about that, I have put cnorwood twice in the list.

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 10 June 2009 - 09:16 AM.

#22 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

Okay, sorry if I bothered you......I shall repost once my computer enables itself (i've contracted a virus), and additionally once I've finished banging my head against a wall. Fuck, I hate days like these........

um Lauren why don't you go to forums, and than project ideas, I think it is, and look for my topic on political advocacy and lobbying and post this question there?

#23 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Pour la science -

I apologize for just having posted this now, but you can count me in on this as well. I hope the list has not at this juncture been finalized. My apologies if it has, but I believe that my only hesitation in posting was that I was afraid this would cost money, and I just got laid off about 6 mos ago (and still have not found work, although I know someone who has connections with a lot of people and might be able to find me a promising lead). So these were my only hesitations in this matter. Again, I apologize for having inconvenienced you

UPDATE

-Pour la Science
-cnorwood
-Johan
-dnamechanic
-dfowler
-mixter
-cnorwood

Thanks for you interest all :)

#24 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

List of people interested in a group subscription for Rejuvenation research :(Temporary List - to be completed)
-Pour la Science
-cnorwood
-Johan
-dnamechanic
-dfowler
-mixter
-Lauren

@Lauren : No problem.
Sorry about what happened to you. It's all the more admirable that you want to take part in this group subsccription.

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 10 June 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#25 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Recorders minute: Liebert will be contacted about the possibility of setting up this deal again.

#26 alphaomega

• Guest, F@H
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

I am interested.

#27 Pour_la_Science

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

List of people interested in a group subscription for Rejuvenation research :(Temporary List - to be completed)
-Pour la Science
-cnorwood
-Johan
-dnamechanic
-dfowler
-mixter
-Lauren
-alphaomega

Okay. thanks to all. Already about 10 persons. :|w
I will wait for the answer of Libert before contacting other members who could be interested

#28 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

An inquiry has been sent. Hopefully we will have a reply this upcoming week (June 15-June 19).

#29 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

Here is the response from Liebert. Looks like a reasonable deal. Does anyone have any preference as to the method. For bookkeeping purposes, it would be a bit easier to do the discount code/shopping cart method.

We can offer members a rate of $25. We have just recently digitized all
issues of this publication so members will have access to a lot more
content than last year.

You may either collect payment from members and then send to us or we
can enter the special price on our shopping cart and you can direct
members to go there. Please go to http://www.liebertpub.com/acm and
click the "Subscribe" button to view how prices are currently listed.
If this method of payment is preferred we will set up a "group rate
code" for Rejuvenation Research and they would be the only customers who
would be eligible for the discounted rates.

#30 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

Count me in as well please. Nice!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users