Photo
* * - - - 9 votes

I hate having an adams apple

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

I'm wondering if there is a way to minimize my adams apple as it seems to be getting bigger or at least more prominent and is making my neck look like crap, most notably after shaving, it looks red and swollen and tends to stick out more, if this makes any sense. The problem is I think my relatively low body fat levels tend to make it more visible. But I don't want to sacrifice my health and gain more fat to make it look less prominent. If there was some sort of (safe) surgery to get this thing removed I would be the first in line. I know this is aesthetic complaining but I guess I can't help it. I want to be beautiful and not imperfect.

Edited by TheFountain, 19 June 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#2 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

I wonder how successful chondrolaryngoplasty would be.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Try google before and after pictures!

#4 seekonk

• 85 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

I want to be beautiful and not imperfect.

Imagine yourself in the position of someone who has cancer, or whose village was just bombed, reading your complaint.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#5 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Imagine yourself in the position of someone who has cancer, or whose village was just bombed, reading your complaint.

Very true indeed. I have to agree with Ben-Aus....the skin threads around here have been going downhill lately.

#6 miklu

• 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:06 AM

I find this stance rather hypocritical. After all, Skin & Hair is a "looks-oriented" forum, a natural consequence of our modern rich society. Once our basic biological needs are satisfied, they are replaced with more superficial needs—there's nothing shameful about it.

The original post can be criticized from other perspectives, though. Post-pubertal cartilage size is not aging-related per se; furthermore, cartilage has little to do with skin.

As per the original poster, cosmetic cartilage reduction surgery is pretty much the only way to reduce Adam's apple size. First, think carefully what your core problem is—is it merely low self-esteem, or could you possibly have gender dysphoria? (If you think you might have gender dysphoria, join a (local) transgender community; for these issues, it's definitely a better support group than imminst.) Next—if you really think surgery is the correct choice for you—follow Winterbreeze's suggestion and study the effectiveness and potential side-effects of the surgery well.
  • Good Point x 1

#7 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:25 AM

I'm wondering if there is a way to minimize my adams apple as it seems to be getting bigger or at least more prominent and is making my neck look like crap, most notably after shaving, it looks red and swollen and tends to stick out more, if this makes any sense. The problem is I think my relatively low body fat levels tend to make it more visible. But I don't want to sacrifice my health and gain more fat to make it look less prominent. If there was some sort of (safe) surgery to get this thing removed I would be the first in line. I know this is aesthetic complaining but I guess I can't help it. I want to be beautiful and not imperfect.

I would be worried about operating on that area of the body. Too close to many important vains and I imagine it could be quite painful, although the pain probably would not last very long. Simple solution, wear turtlenecks or collared shirts.
  • like x 1

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:39 AM

I would be worried about operating on that area of the body. Too close to many important vains and I imagine it could be quite painful, although the pain probably would not last very long. Simple solution, wear turtlenecks or collared shirts.

That's what surgeons go to school for. It's hard for a t* guy to pass with a big honking adams apple. Yank that sucker out!

#9 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

You imagine that next time you fret over your diet or supplement regimen or how your body looks. Why is what I said worse than what other's have said?

#10 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

I find this stance rather hypocritical. After all, Skin & Hair is a "looks-oriented" forum, a natural consequence of our modern rich society. Once our basic biological needs are satisfied, they are replaced with more superficial needs—there's nothing shameful about it.

The original post can be criticized from other perspectives, though. Post-pubertal cartilage size is not aging-related per se; furthermore, cartilage has little to do with skin.

As per the original poster, cosmetic cartilage reduction surgery is pretty much the only way to reduce Adam's apple size. First, think carefully what your core problem is—is it merely low self-esteem, or could you possibly have gender dysphoria? (If you think you might have gender dysphoria, join a (local) transgender community; for these issues, it's definitely a better support group than imminst.) Next—if you really think surgery is the correct choice for you—follow Winterbreeze's suggestion and study the effectiveness and potential side-effects of the surgery well.

I don't have gender dysphoria. There is nothing inherently transgendered about wanting a neck you don't cut every time you shave. Why is everything beautiful associated with femininity? Are you that close minded? Why is it that whenever a guy on this forum decides he wants to be more aesthetic about his appearance he is lumped in with gay subcultures and other ridiculous pop cultural phenomenon? What if this constant and blatant fear of male aestheticism on your part simply means you are masking your own hidden homosexual tendencies? Just a thought.

#11 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I am actually contemplating laser hair removal for my neck area instead. It would reduce the chances of me cutting myself significantly and subsequent swelling occurring.

#12 seekonk

• 85 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

I disagree. This kind of boundless self-absorption is shameful, in part because it is untrue that "our" basic biological needs are satisfied. Large numbers of "us" (a billion according to an estimate I saw recently) go hungry on a daily basis, not to mention, if a global conscience does not fit in your mind, those of our families and neighbours having diseases and pathologies. Spending money on surgery to correct a pathology is one thing, or even spending modest amounts on wrinkle creams, but spending the kind of large amounts it takes to modify a perfectly healthy body part (usually to satisfy some mental pathology) is the worst of the worst, when that money could be put to better use donated to feeding the hungry, curing disease, and saving the rainforests.

Edited by seekonk, 20 June 2009 - 02:32 PM.

#13 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

I disagree. This kind of boundless self-absorption is shameful, in part because it is untrue that "our" basic biological needs are satisfied. Large numbers of "us" (a billion according to an estimate I saw recently) go hungry on a daily basis, not to mention, if a global conscience does not fit in your mind, those of our families and neighbours having diseases and pathologies. Spending money on surgery to correct a pathology is one thing, or even spending modest amounts on wrinkle creams, but spending the kind of large amounts it takes to modify a perfectly healthy body part (usually to satisfy some mental pathology) is the worst of the worst, when that money could be put to better use donated to feeding the hungry, curing disease, and saving the rainforests.

How about the amount of money 'we' as a society spend on entertainment culture? How much do professional athletes get paid? How much do you contribute to keeping society separated into classism, rich/poor/celebrity etc?

Do YOU live modestly? Do YOU have or feel the need to have a house, more than one automobile? Do YOU take a hundred supplements a day? Do YOU have Hobbies that cost you money? Lifestyle choices (such as life extension) that costs YOU money? So it is indeed a hypocritical perspective.

Your stance really ought to be dead set against celebrity culture instead of small people who are just trying to make their lives more enjoyable. Celebrities are the ones who have the power, money and the voice to really affect change in society.

But instead of people targeting celebrities in their arguments, they target those living modest lives, making modest changes (yes I consider some surgical procedures modest) to make their lives more aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by TheFountain, 20 June 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#14 seekonk

• 85 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

How about the amount of money 'we' as a society spend on entertainment culture? How much do professional athletes get paid? How much do you contribute to keeping society separated into classism, rich/poor/celebrity etc?

Don't get me started.

Do YOU live modestly?

Yes.

Do YOU have or feel the need to have a house,

No, I do not. I do not own a house, and will probably never be able to afford one, despite being employed and in my early 40s.

more than one automobile?

No.

Do YOU take a hundred supplements a day?

No.

Do YOU have Hobbies that cost you money?

No.

Lifestyle choices (such as life extension) that costs YOU money?

No.

So it is indeed a hypocritical perspective.

Since I have answered no to all your questions, how do you draw this conclusion? I do set aside some left-over money to donate to Greenpeace and other environmental organizations. What do you give back to the world?

Your stance really ought to be dead set against celebrity culture instead of small people who are just trying to make their lives more enjoyable. Celebrities are the ones who have the power, money and the voice to really affect change in society.

But instead of people targeting celebrities in their arguments, they target those living modest lives, making modest changes (yes I consider some surgical procedures modest) to make their lives more aesthetically pleasing.

Well, what you are describing is following right in Michael Jackson's footsteps, so how are you different?

In any case, I fail to see what this has to do with skin and hair, or life or health extension.

Edited by seekonk, 20 June 2009 - 04:16 PM.

#15 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

I think if he'd have had a gender dysphoria he'd follow my advice anyways :)

Seriously, it's weird how many negative replies this thread received because he said he wants to look beautiful.

Almost everyone I know wants to look beautiful, people take ask in the skin & hair forums to look beautiful by reducing wrinkles, skin discoloration and many other stuff.

It would probably be natural for people on imminst to want to look "special" in a way, considering probably most of the users here want to live forever.

Does it conflict with cancer patients in any way? Of course not!
It is not the cosmetic people who treat cancer patients. people who want cosmetics can donate money to cancer foundations just like anyone else.
Do you give a lot of money, or any money at all to those kind of foundations?

Someone else might (and I am sure many did! if not directly to you, then you probably read it on some article or somewhere else) have told you "treating aging is selfish! there are people dying of hunger in africa and homeless people and cancer victims! they are sick and need help".

Our goal is to do all of them, not just one.

We are all still humans and have options of what to do with our money, don't expect people to do exactly as you wish and be sure some won't be happy with what your way of spending might be.
If we all gave all our money for curing diseases and used only enough for a rent, water and food and sleep on a mattress, cancer, aging, famine and many other things might all have been cured!
But don't forget human nature, people will sell it only to whoever can afford it and then the cycle of selfishness will start all over again.. "why are you curing yourself when there are so many others ill?"

Back to the surgery! it's only enlarged cartilage. it's safe, you'll get a scar probably. risks would probably be an infection.
  • like x 1

#16 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

I am actually contemplating laser hair removal for my neck area instead. It would reduce the chances of me cutting myself significantly and subsequent swelling occurring.

Maybe a practical option is to try electrical shaving, assumed you use razorblades at the moment?
I have a rather big nose myself and tend to focus on that, but I found out that in practice nobody ever noticed it in a negative way.

#17 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

It is my understanding that only electrolysis seems to last fairly long term for hair removal.

#18 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

just remove it at a plastic surgeon! change the things you are unhappy with!

Yeah one maybe should feel guilty all the time for being healthy when some people are unhealthy and have cancer.

#19 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

It is my understanding that only electrolysis seems to last fairly long term for hair removal.

Electrolysis is old. Now they use lasers and from what I hear, it works best on pale skin / dark hair individuals.

#20 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

just remove it at a plastic surgeon! change the things you are unhappy with!

Yeah one maybe should feel guilty all the time for being healthy when some people are unhealthy and have cancer.

I would have to agree, if it really bothers you, change it. You only live once...although hopefully for a very long time.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

I don't think that anything lasts long term. If the hair wants to grow you have to keep after it, even with electrolysis. Electrolysis is more of a sure thing, while lasers work better in some cases than others.

#22 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:25 AM

i wish i had a second adams apple, almost like a pair of matching testicles but in my throat. it would make me feel more manly.

#23 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:33 AM

This topic belongs in a psych forum.

Edited by nancyd, 21 June 2009 - 02:34 AM.

#24 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:45 AM

i wish i had a second adams apple, almost like a pair of matching testicles but in my throat. it would make me feel more manly.

TruckNutz would work for that, Pro.

Nancyd, this whole place is a psych forum.

#25 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

Nice reply niner :-)

I disagree with Nancy. I think the one common theme at imminst is preserving / increasing opportunity, the desire to make life better by transcending current limitations. I think that's central to everything here. So no, the desire to change one aspect of oneself to feel better / increase opportunity is natural and should be encouraged as long as the benefits exceed the cost. Hell, some day I hope to become taller. Call that vain if you wish.

Edited by Ghostrider, 21 June 2009 - 05:34 AM.

#26 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Nice reply niner :-)

I disagree with Nancy. I think the one common theme at imminst is preserving / increasing opportunity, the desire to make life better by transcending current limitations. I think that's central to everything here. So no, the desire to change one aspect of oneself to feel better / increase opportunity is natural and should be encouraged as long as the benefits exceed the cost. Hell, some day I hope to become taller. Call that vain if you wish.

Yea apparently it's okay to have a thread about height increase without any condescending remarks but anything that aims toward an aesthetic that is against the common masculine misconception is immediately attacked in subtle and sarcastic ways. I personally believe it is more masculine to embrace your feminine side without fear of reprise from other men than it is to base every little fuckin thing you do on what other men are gonna think of you. I mean when you break it down the latter seems more gay than the former.

#27 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

yeah i hate it too. i've often tried using tape to "push it" in. even though it has no effect. *shrug*. but meh, its significance is minimal compared to other things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users