• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Particle Music

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

The syncretism of waves and particles is a harmony that is beyond the undulating rhythms of the peaks and the troughs; beyond the proportioning of multiple frequencies and wavelengths. Yes, waves can be harmony...and so can particles, as you observe the posthuman artist orchestrating the appearance and disappearance of these particles into a sea of harmonious rhythms and microrhythms. Feel them, feel the granular music...you are the granular music; there is no need for waves in this music!

Not really, for the plotting of a particle's existence, destruction, re-existence, etc., would produce a square wave pattern; an abstract phenomena of course, but a wave nonetheless. Plus, these particles may exhibit wave-like properties too.

Absolutely, though I was initially referring to the physical characteristics of the performance rather than the abstract. Besides, there is distance between the peaks and troughs of square waves, and as far as I'm aware, there is no "middle ground" or length between existence and non-existence...as of present time. In terms of the physics, the wave-like properties of the particles may well be "out of sync'" and "discordant" with the rhythms of constant re-existence and re-destruction, so it would be required by a posthuman audience to filter out any physical "waviness". Because of this, it would be impossible for such a work to propagate and radiate outwards to a surrounding posthuman audience, so they may be required, again, to fuse and actually be whatever the musician intends to perform for the duration of the piece. Stepping back to the filtering out of wave-like properties, some day we may be able to go beyond that and, with the right technology, split the wave-like and particle-like properties of a "phenomenon" into it's wave and (absolute zero?) particle elements; perhaps only then will we be able to experience pure particle music.

Ah, I see. Interesting. It seems to me like you're advocating the "liberation" of music, like sonic music or vibro-tactile music, from waves.

That's interesting...perhaps I am. Sometime, may be in a few centuries, I will compose a piece where the rhythms of particles existing and annihilating are completely in sync' and in harmony with the undulations of their wave-like properties and with each other.

Absolutely! Or a piece where the "instruments" alter from states of pure waviness, pure "particle-ness" and wave-partcile duality in sync' and harmony with the aforementioned particle rhythms and their wave-like properties!

Whoa, it would be a challenge.

Go for it! :)

#2 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

The syncretism of waves and particles is a harmony that is beyond the undulating rhythms of the peaks and the troughs; beyond the proportioning of multiple frequencies and wavelengths. Yes, waves can be harmony...and so can particles, as you observe the posthuman artist orchestrating the appearance and disappearance of these particles into a sea of harmonious rhythms and microrhythms. Feel them, feel the granular music...you are the granular music; there is no need for waves in this music!

Not really, for the plotting of a particle's existence, destruction, re-existence, etc., would produce a square wave pattern; an abstract phenomena of course, but a wave nonetheless. Plus, these particles may exhibit wave-like properties too.

Absolutely, though I was initially referring to the physical characteristics of the performance rather than the abstract. Besides, there is distance between the peaks and troughs of square waves, and as far as I'm aware, there is no "middle ground" or length between existence and non-existence...as of present time. In terms of the physics, the wave-like properties of the particles may well be "out of sync'" and "discordant" with the rhythms of constant re-existence and re-destruction, so it would be required by a posthuman audience to filter out any physical "waviness". Because of this, it would be impossible for such a work to propagate and radiate outwards to a surrounding posthuman audience, so they may be required, again, to fuse and actually be whatever the musician intends to perform for the duration of the piece. Stepping back to the filtering out of wave-like properties, some day we may be able to go beyond that and, with the right technology, split the wave-like and particle-like properties of a "phenomenon" into it's wave and (absolute zero?) particle elements; perhaps only then will we be able to experience pure particle music.

Ah, I see. Interesting. It seems to me like you're advocating the "liberation" of music, like sonic music or vibro-tactile music, from waves.

That's interesting...perhaps I am. Sometime, may be in a few centuries, I will compose a piece where the rhythms of particles existing and annihilating are completely in sync' and in harmony with the undulations of their wave-like properties and with each other.

Absolutely! Or a piece where the "instruments" alter from states of pure waviness, pure "particle-ness" and wave-partcile duality in sync' and harmony with the aforementioned particle rhythms and their wave-like properties!

Whoa, it would be a challenge.

Go for it! :)

Sometimes, I consider taking up drugs to make my weekends more interesting, talking to you has less side effects though ;-)
Welcome back on imminst, have you mentioned "headphone music" here yet? It sounds fantastic on my Cambridge with the grados ;-)

#3 AdamDavis

• Topic Starter
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

Aye, stick with me Eddie! Though I'm not sure about less side effects :) I actually havn't (well, we have now ha!)! Because it's a free release, I only intended for it be a limited edition...otherwise I'll end up with no moneys :) I can imagine in the future artists being able to immerse themselves in the subjective experiences of their audience; I'd love to experience yours with Headphone Music on your aforementioned sound system.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 AdamDavis

• Topic Starter
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

...And one more thing. A heavily edited, non-dialogic version of this piece can be found here; it is the thirteenth post in the thread:

http://www.futurehi....php?p=6809#6809

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users