Photo

Dean Kamen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

I noticed this quote in the recent PopSci article:

Time. It's the only thing Kamen fears running out of. It's why he can't take a day off. It's why he can't stop working until he is too exhausted to think. It's why, only in the wee hours of the night, after too much wine and too little sleep, will Kamen the preacher, the salesman, the uncompromising moralist finally take a vacation from the hard sell. In the comfort of his hexagonal wine cellar, with its redwood panels and thousands of aging vintages, Kamen turns into an ordinary man, with fears unconquered and dreams unrealized and an almost obsessive awareness of his own mortality, heightened by the recent loss of his father to cancer.

"Other people have peace because I think maybe they just don't think about it — the ticking clock. But it's always there with me. I know that I have this finite amount of time, and there's so much to do, so much in this world that needs fixing," he says. "What if I don't have time to finish all this before . . ." The London Symphony (playing the Moody Blues) fills the silence of a long pause. "I can't cheat death," he says finally. He begins to talk with his hands. "I'm not a religious man," Kamen says, "but I have a kind of faith. Faith that these kids will be able to finish what we've started."

Chances are a guy like Mr. Kamen is already acquainted with someone who has embraced extreme life extension but you never know. I certainly admire his efforts in attempting to enlist future generations in solving humanity's problems. That's probably something we should be focusing on more here ourselves.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 22 June 2009 - 08:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users