Michael Jackson Dies

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8119951.stm

Edited by Cyberbrain, 25 June 2009 - 10:36 PM.

#2 Loot Perish

• 95 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:44 PM

I heard him say it on national tv. I have the video on my computer.

I sure hope he made cryopreservation arrangements, cuz that is his only chance

#3 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8119951.stm

Farrah Fawcett also died today of Colon-rectal cancer at the age of 62.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

it was quite unexpected. He did say in a program he wanted use cryonics if anything happened to him, but it was so sudden it seemed... Very sad.

#5 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

it was quite unexpected. He did say in a program he wanted use cryonics if anything happened to him, but it was so sudden it seemed... Very sad.

I am in complete awe at this moment. I can't believe it. I think it is a lie. He has been taken to a facility where he will be studied, this is just a cover story. It has to be!

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:20 PM

sad to see him pass, but it doesn't surprise me very much.

the guy was frail. frail people die from cardiovascular related problems. cardiac arrest happens often in ages 45-55. unfortunate, but in some way it seems straight forward to me.

#7 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

sad to see him pass, but it doesn't surprise me very much.

the guy was frail. frail people die from cardiovascular related problems. cardiac arrest happens often in ages 45-55. unfortunate, but in some way it seems straight forward to me.

I think that is a mis-estimate of the situation. Of all the 45-55 year olds alive on this planet today, one can presume less than 1% of them will die from sudden cardiac arrest without an underlying or diagnostic causation. In this case michael was not eating well, and addicted to pain killers for many years. I am sure this contributed greatly to this. He was frail but because he was malnourished.

Edited by TheFountain, 25 June 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#8 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:41 PM

I wonder if the Phelpses have loaded up their bus yet to picket his funeral.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

Jackson was getting ready for a huge series of concerts, and some huge number of tickets have already been sold. I wonder if he was stressed out about that, like something wasn't going right? It's really a shame; the short, brilliant, tragic life of Michael Jackson.

#10 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:24 AM

For the love of life, we have to stop this mess. God damn it, we have these incredible dreams willed into existence and spun around reality in this unbelievable existence we get this chance at, and some so nonchalantly let this slip away. How could anybody be doing anything except for devoting their life to the cause for indefinity?

We could have gotten Jackson, Farrah, Ed, and all the people of affluence and influence who have died, on our side. How many more opportunities, their lives for themselves, and their philanthropic drives for the world, are we going to let slip away? We need to spread this cause to the edges of the world, and maybe even the edges of existence now, not later. Not when opportunities are buried, not after the game, not after we pay off the car, not after anything.

When the bodies go in the ground, the dreams go with them. Theres no use focusing on the dreams now, focus on the vehicles now, dreams cant go anywhere with out them. Save lives, dedicate more time to this cause starting today.

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:36 AM

I am interested to see if he actually had cryonics arrangements in place.

Also, of interest is that Michael Jackson engaged in some speculative "treatments" in order to modify his appearance and/or enhance his health. It was widely reported that he spent a few years sleeping at night in an oxygen chamber.

In the end, it seems being a super-mega-star, shaped him, and the stress no doubt IMHO contributed to his untimely death. 50 is quite young in today's world.

#12 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:15 AM

Theres been some news that he was taking new prescription medications recently and he was having problems with these, his family tried to get him help because of it. This comes from a family statement. He was also feeling ill and had a doctor the night before he died said he wasn't feeling well.

It might have been medications he died from, maybe a combination of stress and chronic diseases. Michael was thought to have vitiligo, and possibly Lupus. WHen growing up he also didn't live a very healthy lifestyle from what I've seen on interviews and dvd's of michael jackson. Not sure how his lifestyle was later on in his life.

I still shocked, I been watching news for hours and its hard to believe. Very sad about this, I listened to his music almsot daily for the last few years and also I first heard him when I was around 5 and used to play his record all the time. Just an amazing guy. :(

#13 Boondock

• 73 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:39 AM

A revealing statement from a family friend about his prescription medication abuse can be found here. Skip to 3:50 to hear it, it does sound genuine.

#14 Anne_nl

• 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

R.I.P. Michael. Been up all night watching the news too: can't believe this happened. Dancing on the tunes of Billie Jean, will definitely never feel the same again. His life story appears to be so tragic..

#15 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:55 AM

Ok somethign new I heard. Apparently he didn't like to touch junk food at all... this is what I heard from his friend Uri geller? on CBS.

maybe it really was the meds. If it were I guess we wait a long time to know results of autopsy.

#16 Boondock

• 73 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:08 AM

maybe it really was the meds. If it were I guess we wait a long time to know results of autopsy.

I think they're actually doing the autopsy tomorrow, so we might hear something fairly definitive by next week.

#17 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

Michael Jackson performs Gone to Soon at an event for Bill Clinton.

Two people who have made mention of life extension before, and a fitting song performed by the legend. We let Jackson get away. Lets not let Clinton find his spot in the ground, lets get him in deeper on this fight, other wise we will all be gone soon. Blink your eye, youll be dead in just about as much time unless you commit to fighting this war full time soon. Join the VIP Outreach team and help get through to more people like Jackson and Clinton today.

#18 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:34 AM

This was very unexpected, at least to me. He died so young!! I feel sorry for his fans now.

#19 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:53 AM

brokenportal: This is not a marketing opportunity for the life extension movement.

#20 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:14 AM

Ok somethign new I heard. Apparently he didn't like to touch junk food at all... this is what I heard from his friend Uri geller? on CBS.

CNN reported that Michael was training 6 hours a day in preparation for his upcoming tour. They also mentioned he had undergone a rigorous 4 1/2 hour physical recently and nothing abnormal had been found. Perhaps it's like his family believes, the medications might have something to do with it as well as his intense training (if it's true), which might have caused a potassium (or other electrolyte) imbalance like the doctor at CNN mentioned?

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

If you really think that then your missing the point.

brokenportal: This is not a marketing opportunity for the life extension movement.

#22 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:40 AM

This is unexpected and simply awful for anyone to die at such a young age. Due to my depression I get especially angry and down these days when someone dies that I admire and when they seem so unaware of life extension; real radical LE. Like Portal I get so angry at the ambivelance of death and although people say how tragic and I believe many do cry it is so sadly brushed aside and thought of as natural. Look if we can now tolerate homosexuality much much better than say 15 years or even 10 years ago; and I think that's great, than why can't we accept radical life extension? It seems so natural to everyone here to want life and to want to have much more time at it! So why can't the rest of the ignorant population accept this? I do get crazy mad sometimes. I sometimes curse people for having faith in religion but not science. I know this is immature and intolerant of me, but when I see people go to their graves day after day, I can't help but get mad. How can people rationalize a belief in God over just something that they wish it were so and not the truth? My dad always says "religion is believing in what you know just ain't so." Portal I feel your anger at the stupidity of intolerant people who are routed in the acceptance of death.

As for Michael. He was a man whose good qualities IMHO far outweighed is negative ones. He didn't want to die, and neither did my mom, nor Farrah, nor most people. It's upsetting that we have to ignore death until it happens to us and it's too late. Portal it's ok that you wanted to talk about the VIP project because we so need to get some famous people talking about this.

Edited by dfowler, 26 June 2009 - 05:41 AM.

#23 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

I remember back in the mid 90's that he had setup for cryonics, if he would die. But it doesn't seem to be that way today. I mean they are saying that they are going to do an autopsy on him, that doesn't cut the risks for a successful cryonic preservation. Or is it so that he has a cryonic contract, but no one knows about it, or is it other legal jurisdiction stopping?

Edited by aikikai, 26 June 2009 - 07:27 AM.

#24 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

You have to start the procedure right away after a person dies. I dont know what it is exactly, but after more than around a minute goes by after death then you cant freeze them.

#25 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

You have to start the procedure right away after a person dies. I dont know what it is exactly, but after more than around a minute goes by after death then you cant freeze them.

How does this work with an autopsy? For example with Michael Jackson they must know the death cause, and an autopsy can't work so well with cryonic preservation?

#26 harris13.3

• 87 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

Slightly OT but considering this is a life extension forum, I'll add...

For the love of life, we have to stop this mess. God damn it, we have these incredible dreams willed into existence and spun around reality in this unbelievable existence we get this chance at, and some so nonchalantly let this slip away. How could anybody be doing anything except for devoting their life to the cause for indefinity?

We could have gotten Jackson, Farrah, Ed, and all the people of affluence and influence who have died, on our side. How many more opportunities, their lives for themselves, and their philanthropic drives for the world, are we going to let slip away? We need to spread this cause to the edges of the world, and maybe even the edges of existence now, not later. Not when opportunities are buried, not after the game, not after we pay off the car, not after anything.

When the bodies go in the ground, the dreams go with them. Theres no use focusing on the dreams now, focus on the vehicles now, dreams cant go anywhere with out them. Save lives, dedicate more time to this cause starting today.

Michael's death wasn't caused by aging though. He died of a heart attack; a freak accident. I'm sure nobody expected him to die at such an early age. (I sure didn't.) Also, he was never an exceptionally healthy man and it seems likely that the pressure of his upcoming concerts combined with his excessive use of medications contributed to his heart attack. Even if the life extension movement succeeds, freak accidents will always happen.

Not necessarily, although it's probably too late for Michael now.

There have been cases where people have died without warning and only frozen 2-3 hours later but even in these cases, most of the physical cellular structures of the neurons are still preserved. We aren't sure how long a person can be dead before being frozen (because the technology required to revive a frozen patient is speculative) but we do know it's best to perform the vitrification process right after death.

Plus, even in the most ideal cases, the freezing process often takes much more than a minute since you would first have to perfuse the tissues with cryoprotectants, decapitate the head (for neurosuspension patients), attach monitoring equipment, transport the patient from the hospital to the dewar, etc.

How does this work with an autopsy? For example with Michael Jackson they must know the death cause, and an autopsy can't work so well with cryonic preservation?

An autopsy, especially if it involves examination of the head or neck, would be detrimental to your chances of being successfuly revived. Hence, most cryonics providers encourage their members to sign forms that allow the patient to forego autopsy (ie. on religious grounds). Here's some information from CI...

http://www.cryonics....ng_Autopsy.html

As for Michael Jackson, he probably had a minor interest in cryonics but I don't think he was actually serious about getting himself frozen.

Edited by Condraz23, 26 June 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#27 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

I read it a few minutes ago that he is dead...
He was too young to die.
I grew up with his music...

#28 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:26 AM

Just incredible. He was a symbole of succes.

Farrah fawcett also died.

I will never get use to the death.

#29 Loot Perish

• 95 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

well, the moderator deleted my comment along with its headline, which was the important part, so I will say it again--michael jackson went on national tv and said that he wanted to live forever right here on earth and that he never wanted to die. He was a spokeperson for this immortalist movement.
And that is why I put my thread in the immortalism forum--because it was about immortalism. And jackson was AFAIK the only immortalist celebrity.
This site is supposed to be about immortalism. The only celebrity immortalist just died. You would think some posters here would acknowledge, or at least the mods here should.

Edited by Reverend_X, 26 June 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#30 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

I remember him saying now something like

"I want to live forever"

This was from a program he did, I think it was called living with michael jackson.

Edited by Matt, 26 June 2009 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users