• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Femtotechnology Paper

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

Is this pure fantasy?

A new pdf paper about femtotechnology.

The form of matter containing and subsuming all the atom’s particles [from nucleons (neutrons, protons), electrons and other nuclear particles] into the nucleus is named degenerate matter. Degenerate matter found in white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes. Conventionally this matter in such large astronomical objects has a high temperature (as independent particles!) and a high gravity adding a forcing, confining pressure in a very massive celestial objects. In nature, degenerate matter exists stably (as a big lump) to our knowledge only in large astronomical masses (include their surface where gravitation pressure is zero) and into big nuclei of conventional matter. Our purpose is to design artificial small masses of synthetic degenerate matter in form of an extremely thin strong thread (fiber, filament, string), round bar (rod), tube, net (dense or non dense weave and mesh size) which can exist at Earth-normal temperatures and pressures. Note that such stabilized degenerate matter in small amounts does not exist in Nature as far as we know. Therefore I have named this matter AB-Matter.

Edited by Futurist1000, 17 July 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#2 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

Is this pure fantasy?

A new pdf paper about femtotechnology.

The form of matter containing and subsuming all the atom’s particles [from nucleons (neutrons, protons), electrons and other nuclear particles] into the nucleus is named degenerate matter. Degenerate matter found in white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes. Conventionally this matter in such large astronomical objects has a high temperature (as independent particles!) and a high gravity adding a forcing, confining pressure in a very massive celestial objects. In nature, degenerate matter exists stably (as a big lump) to our knowledge only in large astronomical masses (include their surface where gravitation pressure is zero) and into big nuclei of conventional matter. Our purpose is to design artificial small masses of synthetic degenerate matter in form of an extremely thin strong thread (fiber, filament, string), round bar (rod), tube, net (dense or non dense weave and mesh size) which can exist at Earth-normal temperatures and pressures. Note that such stabilized degenerate matter in small amounts does not exist in Nature as far as we know. Therefore I have named this matter AB-Matter.

As I currently think the plasma theories of the universe seem a little more realistic at this time than the increasingly mumbo jumboed theories of dark energy dark matter degenerate matter and so forth, my opinion would be yes, this is pure fantasy.

Of course thats just my opinion and subject to change as new information comes in.

#3 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:22 AM

I personally wouldn't know the difference if they were pointed out to me in a paper. The problem is that unless you have taken classes in advanced mathematics and physics you aren't going to truly be able to tell if its a legitimate theory or not.

Edited by bobscrachy, 07 October 2009 - 02:24 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Anders Lindman

• 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

I recently heard Ray Kurzweil briefly mentioning the term femtotechnology in a video presentation. Ray has also said that when a limit is reached for a certain type of technology, then a paradigm shift happens that breaks that limit. For example, vacuum tubes used in computers were made smaller and smaller, until they hit a limit and couldn't be made much smaller, but then the semiconductor was invented which created the next paradigm.

I guess femtotechnology means technology on the scale of femtometers which is six orders of magnitude smaller than nanometers. There could be an absolute limit for how small things can get, for example the Planck length, but that is 1.6×10−35 meters. So femtotechnology could very well be possible, but scientists have still barely begun researching nanotechnology, so femtotechnology is something for the future. However, the technological progress is exponential, so the time needed to go from full-blown nanotech to femtotech may be very short, relatively speaking. How short is difficult to say. One could imagine self-improving general AI developing femtotech very quickly. And the almost scary thing is that the step from femtotech to even smaller scales would go even faster. This is what may happen around the time of a technological singularity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users