Photo
- - - - -

After 5 months of tretinoin use

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

Seriously I have been on tretinoin since march and it is now mid august. So it has been about 5 months. My skin was not perfect before I started it but it was not horrid. Now it is depressing to look at. It truly is. I feel like I am losing collagen in my face not gaining it. That coupled with the constant redness, crinkles around my eyes, shadows it is causing, redness that is making my look older, sinking features, etc is all causing me to feel more depressed. Should I hang on to this stuff?

Why is it causing me to look worse? Why am I 90% more depressed now than before I started using it? I ask for advice here from the so called experts but it falls on deaf ears. At 24 and a half years old I look like I am 28 since this stuff has had this effect on me! I kept it up because of the reassuring posts I have read by other users stating that after time the redness will fade and you will look like a marvelous model of perfect skin! I am not applying more than a pea sized amount, maybe a little more some days to spread it all around, but I am for the most part following the instructions of people here. What could I possibly doing wrong?

Edited by TheFountain, 15 August 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#2 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

Seriously I have been on tretinoin since march and it is now mid august. So it has been about 5 months. My skin was not perfect before I started it but it was not horrid. Now it is depressing to look at. It truly is. I feel like I am losing collagen in my face not gaining it. That coupled with the constant redness, crinkles around my eyes, shadows it is causing, redness that is making my look older, sinking features, etc is all causing me to feel more depressed. Should I hang on to this stuff?

Why is it causing me to look worse? Why am I 90% more depressed now than before I started using it? I ask for advice here from the so called experts but it falls on deaf ears. At 24 and a half years old I look like I am 28 since this stuff has had this effect on me! I kept it up because of the reassuring posts I have read by other users stating that after time the redness will fade and you will look like a marvelous model of perfect skin! I am not applying more than a pea sized amount, maybe a little more some days to spread it all around, but I am for the most part following the instructions of people here. What could I possibly doing wrong?

You ask advice here from the so called experts but it falls on deaf ears???Dude just stop using the #$*^ and quit whining like the baby you are.
  • Unfriendly x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

I wanted to add that about 4 days ago I switched from 0.05% tretinoin to 0.025%. Why does it feel like I am starting over again? The same level of irritation I first experienced when I started the 0.05 is now occurring again. Does your skin have to get re-acclimated to a different potency? I started using the 0.025 because I wanted something less irritating. But it actually feels just as much irritating as the other stuff.

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:54 AM

Maybe give your skin a break. I remember how red my face was back 8 years ago from chemical peels. HOw wonderful that was.... took like 6 months to go away after stopping them (was for acne).

You could also provide a picture, you don;t have to show your whole face but just cut / crop a part where its bad and post it to see how bad it looks.

#5 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

The Fountain,

My skin looked much worse after first using Retinoids (Retin-A .05% alternating w/ Taz .1%, both creams).  We're talking peeling, dryness, dehydration, crinkly eyes that I didn't recognize as self. I began buffering the ointments with Obagi's bland Action moisturizer.  ( Thanks Eva V. for the rec.) That made a big difference.  Gradually I moved on to full strength product.

Now, I also changed cleanser and sunscreen/blocks.  Through trial and error and much $USD I've found a combination that suits my skin.

As I mentioned in a previous post it took a good ten (10) months for my skin to adjust.  Ten months!  Now, I'm very pleased with the results.

In short, I think you're not doing anything "wrong."  It just takes patience.  At the same time, I would suggest you back off to every other night for a few weeks, thereby giving your skin the chance to heal; then step up to every night over a few more weeks or months as your skin handles.

If I may ask, what cleanser and sunscreen are you using?  Do you use any irritants such as a scrub, alcohol-based toner, etc?  Are you self-treating or seeing a dermatologist?

I am no expert, but I've been there.  Hope my comments are welcome and of some help.  ;)  If not, let me know.

Again, best wishes.  MK 

#6 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

You ask advice here from the so called experts but it falls on deaf ears???Dude just stop using the #$*^ and quit whining like the baby you are.

Stop replying to my posts if you're going to be an unhelpful asswipe.

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Maybe give your skin a break. I remember how red my face was back 8 years ago from chemical peels. HOw wonderful that was.... took like 6 months to go away after stopping them (was for acne).

You could also provide a picture, you don;t have to show your whole face but just cut / crop a part where its bad and post it to see how bad it looks.

I will try to dig up some comparison photos from before I started the treatment to now just to show what I am referring to. By the way thanks for not being a snobby asswipe like some of these other people.

Edited by TheFountain, 16 August 2009 - 06:24 PM.

#8 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

The Fountain,

My skin looked much worse after first using Retinoids (Retin-A .05% alternating w/ Taz .1%, both creams). We're talking peeling, dryness, dehydration, crinkly eyes that I didn't recognize as self. I began buffering the ointments with Obagi's bland Action moisturizer. ( Thanks Eva V. for the rec.) That made a big difference. Gradually I moved on to full strength product.

Now, I also changed cleanser and sunscreen/blocks. Through trial and error and much $USD I've found a combination that suits my skin.

As I mentioned in a previous post it took a good ten (10) months for my skin to adjust. Ten months! Now, I'm very pleased with the results.

In short, I think you're not doing anything "wrong." It just takes patience. At the same time, I would suggest you back off to every other night for a few weeks, thereby giving your skin the chance to heal; then step up to every night over a few more weeks or months as your skin handles.

If I may ask, what cleanser and sunscreen are you using? Do you use any irritants such as a scrub, alcohol-based toner, etc? Are you self-treating or seeing a dermatologist?

I am no expert, but I've been there. Hope my comments are welcome and of some help. ;) If not, let me know.

Again, best wishes. MK

The combination of products I am using besides the 0.025% retinoid are vegetable glycerin soap with zero scent, Skin scueticals B5 hydrating gel along with their C/E ferulic acid. Some days I use hyaluranic acid serum to help absorb the C/E serum a little better. B5 also contains Hyaluranic acid so I try not to overdo it. The sunscreen I use to top it all off is Nivea Light feeling sun lotion 50 spf. I tried using Helioplex a few tmes but this seems to increase irritation rather than mitigate it. I am thinking of trying the Anthelios mineral based sunscreenin the very near future as I get the feeling these would be much less irritating than your average chemical sunscreen.

So I should expect a couple more months of this sort of reaction before seeing my beautiful acne free glowing skin beneath it (just to be clear about this, the acne is pretty much gone, I am referring to clear uncracked skin in this statement) ? Thank you for the reassurance with regard to your own experience. It is a much better approach than some other people here who just tend to ignore certain things you say and act like you are a nuisance for asking questions and/or getting upset. People like that are such snobby asswipes. Thanks again. And I am opened to recommendation as per my current skin care regimen.

Edited by TheFountain, 16 August 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#9 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hi TheFountain,

Your regimen looks good to me, although I might suggest a more gentle cleanser than your glycerin soap.  Eucerin for Sensitive Skin "Gentle Hydrating Cleanser" comes to mind; it is very basic and unscented, also budget friendly.  Any of the Avene cleansers that suit your skintype would be a good option as well.

For sunscreen, especially if your skin is irritated, I would suggest you look into Glycolix Elite spf30. Very soothing as well as protective:

Active ingredient Zinc Oxide 17%.  Also contains Purified Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclomethicone, Laurylmethicone Copolyol C13-14, Isoparrafin, Polyacrylamide, Cersin,Dimethicone,Green Tea Extract, Phospholipids, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Coenzyme Q-10, Ascorbyl Glucosamine, Superoxide Dismutase, Laureth-7, Sodium Cloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidnyl Urea. 

I've tried your Nivea Sun light feeling spf50 and found it much too emollient for my skin.  I also couldn't handle the heavy fragrance.

Unless your Dermatologist recommends otherwise, I would say stay the course and ride out the ugliness and discomfort.  My two (2) cents, of course.

Thank you for your kind words ~ Sincerely, MK

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

Fountain, I bet that the sinking features and losing collagen look are really just weight loss. Try jacking up the low-GI carbs.

#11 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'll admit I'm out of my element talking about skin products (no clue about most skin things), but have you tried Retin A Micro instead of a gel/cream? That is, assuming you are even using the gel/cream form.

I ask this, as years ago I'd sometimes get acne on my back during summer months, and my doctor gave me regular Retin A to try. The gel was really irritating at first and caused peeling, etc. Later on, he gave me micro to use instead, and it was really gentle in comparison.

I realize the skin on the back and face won't react the same way, but was wondering if folks who get irritation using regular tretinoin ever tried the micro form instead. It may help with the redness/irritation problems.

#12 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

I'll admit I'm out of my element talking about skin products (no clue about most skin things), but have you tried Retin A Micro instead of a gel/cream? That is, assuming you are even using the gel/cream form.

I ask this, as years ago I'd sometimes get acne on my back during summer months, and my doctor gave me regular Retin A to try. The gel was really irritating at first and caused peeling, etc. Later on, he gave me micro to use instead, and it was really gentle in comparison.

I realize the skin on the back and face won't react the same way, but was wondering if folks who get irritation using regular tretinoin ever tried the micro form instead. It may help with the redness/irritation problems.

I also found the micro version less irritating than standard Retin-A.

#13 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

I've found waiting to put lotion on a couple hours after retin-a helps my skin look better then next day. If I put it on immediately after I get major redness and flaking. hth

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

Hi TheFountain,

Your regimen looks good to me, although I might suggest a more gentle cleanser than your glycerin soap. Eucerin for Sensitive Skin "Gentle Hydrating Cleanser" comes to mind; it is very basic and unscented, also budget friendly. Any of the Avene cleansers that suit your skintype would be a good option as well.

For sunscreen, especially if your skin is irritated, I would suggest you look into Glycolix Elite spf30. Very soothing as well as protective:

Active ingredient Zinc Oxide 17%. Also contains Purified Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclomethicone, Laurylmethicone Copolyol C13-14, Isoparrafin, Polyacrylamide, Cersin,Dimethicone,Green Tea Extract, Phospholipids, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Coenzyme Q-10, Ascorbyl Glucosamine, Superoxide Dismutase, Laureth-7, Sodium Cloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidnyl Urea.

I've tried your Nivea Sun light feeling spf50 and found it much too emollient for my skin. I also couldn't handle the heavy fragrance.

Unless your Dermatologist recommends otherwise, I would say stay the course and ride out the ugliness and discomfort. My two (2) cents, of course.

Thank you for your kind words ~ Sincerely, MK

Mia what is bothering me is that I've been using it for 5 and a half months and thus far the effect it has had is the complete opposite of what everyone tauts it as. It is making me look older by causing my skin to go through the following.

1-Dehydration.
2-Mottling (discoloration all over my face)
3-Circles under my eyes with veins showing through
4-Making my neck look defatted and sunken in, thus my adams apple look bigger
5-Extreme dryness (expected but adding to the aged look

Why is it causing my skin to be discolored? Shouldn't it be having SOME positive effect after almost 6 months?

Why is it making my eyes look sunken and veiny?

Why is it causing furrows and shadows all over my face?

Why is it making my cheek bones more visible and white and boney looking?

I had none of these things prior to using Tretinoin!

It is depressing me so badly. I have not been out in weeks, I will not allow anyone to see me, none of my friends, no one. The last time I have seen a friend they told me I looked like I haven't slept in 2 years.

And before anyone gets into sun exposure I want to say I religiously avoid the sun and put on a mexoryl based sun block whenever I am outside, even in the early morning hours when it is still dark out. I sleep with my windows 99% covered and whatever light comes in is not direct sunlight so it isn't that either. It can't be.

The kind of tretinoin I am using is from alldaychemist. Johnson & johnson.

Edited by TheFountain, 21 August 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#15 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

Post some before / after photos.

I use a tretinoin solution, but skin can't tolerate it every day so I use it very sparingly.

#16 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

If it's making your depressed and miserable, why use it? You are only 24 afterall... not like you should be getting all wrinkledy for many years yet.

Or use something gentler. Again, Retin A micro was much, much gentler than Retin A gel when I tried it. There really was no comparison between the two. There is also differen, which I think is a weaker retinoid. If you have a dermatologist, I'm sure he/she can give you good advice on how to avoid some of those problems.

And I assume you are taking a vitamin D supplement there, with all of that sun avoidance?

Edited by nameless, 22 August 2009 - 07:03 PM.

#17 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

If it's making your depressed and miserable, why use it? You are only 24 afterall... not like you should be getting all wrinkledy for many years yet.

Or use something gentler. Again, Retin A micro was much, much gentler than Retin A gel when I tried it. There really was no comparison between the two. There is also differen, which I think is a weaker retinoid. If you have a dermatologist, I'm sure he/she can give you good advice on how to avoid some of those problems.

And I assume you are taking a vitamin D supplement there, with all of that sun avoidance?

I take 3000 IUs of vitamin D daily. I stopped using tretinoin 0.05% around my eyes and on my neck area, thus replacing it with 0.025%. I will continue to very gently use 0.05% on my cheek and forehead region. I started this regimen to avoid skin aging obviously. What I am thinking at this moment after Mia gave me her own accounts is if I continue with it (already being 6 months into the regimen) I require only 3-5 more months of use for my skin to effectively adapt and to create a stronger outer collagen layer that will protect my skin from sun damage for years to come. I'll just have to keep reporting my experience, regardless of how cranky and illogical I sound. Just out of curiosity, since many think I am too young to use this stuff what is supposedly the ideal age? Many people in their mid to late 20s use this and claim that after 6 months to a year their skin looked better than ever.

#18 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

I always heard that rx retinoids are supposed to make your skin look worse before it gets better and it's a sign that it's working. It's normal for this stage to last up to a year. If people don't have any damaged layers of skin then they may bypass this stage.

#19 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:51 AM

how much weight have you lost in all this time?

#20 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:07 AM

how much weight have you lost in all this time?

My weight has fluctuated between 145 and about 162 for about a year now (I am 5'11). It depends on what kind of diet I am experimenting with. Right now I am eating some dairy and carbs to gain weight back. Generally when my weight is closer to the 160-165 mark my face looks a lot better.

#21 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:22 AM

Suggestions:

Stop using it until your skin stops peeling and the redness fades. Then go back with a gentler approach:

Throw out the stuff you have and get Retin-a Micro--it's a less irritating formula.

Don't put it on until at least 45 minutes after washing and drying face. This makes a huge difference in reducing skin irritation.

Don't use it every day, maybe try twice a week for a while. Then build up slowly to increase frequency.

Less is definitely more when it comes to Retin-a--use less than the size of a pea for the whole face and neck.

Avoid the eye area for a while, since it's causing you problems.

Apply a strong sunscreen every morning--rain or shine. Try Neutrogena with Helioplex.

Everyone is different. If you try all of the above and find you're still having problems, stop using Retin-a. Your particular skin might not be able to tolerate it. Try salicylic acid and/or copper peptides instead. These are both gentle and great for the skin.

#22 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:35 AM

Suggestions:

Stop using it until your skin stops peeling and the redness fades. Then go back with a gentler approach:

Throw out the stuff you have and get Retin-a Micro--it's a less irritating formula.

Don't put it on until at least 45 minutes after washing and drying face. This makes a huge difference in reducing skin irritation.

Don't use it every day, maybe try twice a week for a while. Then build up slowly to increase frequency.

Less is definitely more when it comes to Retin-a--use less than the size of a pea for the whole face and neck.

Apply a strong sunscreen every morning--rain or shine. Try Neutrogena with Helioplex.

Everyone is different. If you try all of the above and find you're still having problems, stop using Retin-a. Your particular skin might not be able to tolerate it. Try salicylic acid and/or copper peptides instead. These are both gentle and great for the skin.

If I am still experiencing irritation at the one year mark I will cease using it. And I definitely plan to order some retin-a micro from alldaychemist soon as well as that alternative retinoid someone mentioned earlier that begins with a T. Do you know if changing retinoids or formulations is like starting over wwith regard to positive effects? What I mean is will it be another year before I see results of I switch to retin-a micro and or the other form of retinoid?

#23 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

Suggestions:

If I am still experiencing irritation at the one year mark I will cease using it. And I definitely plan to order some retin-a micro from alldaychemist soon as well as that alternative retinoid someone mentioned earlier that begins with a T. Do you know if changing retinoids or formulations is like starting over wwith regard to positive effects? What I mean is will it be another year before I see results of I switch to retin-a micro and or the other form of retinoid?

No, I think the benefits will (or should) come much sooner, especially since your skin is already on its way to being conditioned to retinoids.

Tazorac might be the other retinoid you speak of. Actually, this is what I'm using these days. I'd used Retin-a for so many years, that I have no problems with Taz, even though I'm not using a "micro" formula (and I don't even think there's such thing as "Micro Tazorac"). Decades ago, when I first started using Retin-a, I remember experiencing peeling and red skin. I don't think it was as bad as what you describe, but it was bad enough. My dermatologist encouraged me to stay with it--but to be SURE to use just a small amount, and ONLY after letting my skin thoroughly dry after washing--ie, wait 45 minutes. It's kind of annoying to have to do that, but it's important. I'd wash and dry my face sometimes, and then end up falling asleep without applying the Retin-a. However, waiting 45 minutes is crucial to avoid the irritation. Are you doing that?

#24 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

Suggestions:

No, I think the benefits will (or should) come much sooner, especially since your skin is already on its way to being conditioned to retinoids.

Tazorac might be the other retinoid you speak of. Actually, this is what I'm using these days. I'd used Retin-a for so many years, that I have no problems with Taz, even though I'm not using a "micro" formula (and I don't even think there's such thing as "Micro Tazorac"). Decades ago, when I first started using Retin-a, I remember experiencing peeling and red skin. I don't think it was as bad as what you describe, but it was bad enough. My dermatologist encouraged me to stay with it--but to be SURE to use just a small amount, and ONLY after letting my skin thoroughly dry after washing--ie, wait 45 minutes. It's kind of annoying to have to do that, but it's important. I'd wash and dry my face sometimes, and then end up falling asleep without applying the Retin-a. However, waiting 45 minutes is crucial to avoid the irritation. Are you doing that?

The thing I know about Tretinoin versus Tazorac is that the former activates all retinoid receptors whereas Tazorac only activates some. What I should probably do is use Retin-a micro twice a week and Tazorac the rest of the days just to keep al receptors going. I highly doubt I am the one statistical exception out of countless many who tretinoin wouldn't work for. I really don't think I am that much of a freak. But since I am on a pretty extensive supp regimen are there any known interactions with other supplements, like supplements that may cause it not to work (doubt it, since it is a topical, but thought i'd ask anyway)?

#25 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

I don't have experience using Tazorac, but my doc told me it was even more irritating than Retin A is. So maybe it's not a good choice right now for you. Or if you do use it, at least get the gentlest form available.

#26 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

I don't have experience using Tazorac, but my doc told me it was even more irritating than Retin A is. So maybe it's not a good choice right now for you. Or if you do use it, at least get the gentlest form available.

Dunno where your doc got that info. IME, Tazorac is totally non-irritating. The gel is one of the best things I've found for topical treatment for rosacea.

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:40 AM

What I should probably do is use Retin-a micro twice a week and Tazorac the rest of the days just to keep al receptors going.

No! You should follow luminous' advice to the letter. Do you want to get better or not? You never answered as to whether or not you were waiting 45 minutes after washing.

#28 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

What I should probably do is use Retin-a micro twice a week and Tazorac the rest of the days just to keep al receptors going.

No! You should follow luminous' advice to the letter. Do you want to get better or not? You never answered as to whether or not you were waiting 45 minutes after washing.

I am waiting approximately 1 and a half to two hours. Fredrick said using Tazorac most days and retin- 0.025% twice a week is a good thing for avoiding irritation. Switching to Retin-A micro is probably much better even. Is retin-a micro 0.04% suppose to be less irritating than any formulation of normal retin-a? That's the weakest micro formula available on ADC.

Edited by TheFountain, 25 August 2009 - 04:11 AM.

#29 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

I am waiting approximately 1 and a half to two hours. Fredrick said using Tazorac most days and retin- 0.025% twice a week is a good thing for avoiding irritation. Switching to Retin-A micro is probably much better even. Is retin-a micro 0.04% suppose to be less irritating than any formulation of normal retin-a? That's the weakest micro formula available on ADC.

i think i read someone posting that retin-a micro .1% caused less irritation to them then the .05% of the regular stuff...

so are you currently at 160 or so or is your weight down? reason i ask is i'm naturally a skinny guy and the heavier/fatter i get, the healthier i look... you might be the same way...

#30 VesperLynd

• 180 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

In cases like this - your skin is trying to tell you something :-D

less frequent use, weaker percentage of actives - or switching to one of the Avene retinyldehyde products would probably be your best bet.

It sounds like you are triggering chronic inflammation which actually creates skin damage, not the reverse - so your regimen becomes counterproductive.

VL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)