• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

VR may be closer than you think

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

A nice monitor for viewing 3D protein structures.

SeeReal Cn 3D Display

* 20" diagonally
* 1600 x 1200 pixels
* 16.7 Million colors
* brightness 250 cd/m²
* contrast 400:1
* Input DVI-D
* World's highest 3D resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels (20" display)
* World's largest sweetspot ensures high tolerance of movement

The Cn display from SeeReal Technologies is the only one in its class to combine the highest effective resolution with a wide 3D ”sweet spot” that allows movement in front of the monitor. Connect the 20” UXGA monitor to a normal PC and experience 3D images and videos like never before! Whether analysing complex structures, planning a surgery, mapping geographical data, simulating in Virtual Reality or “only” playing computer games - the extra visual dimension allows for a fresh perspective and more information at a glance!

The SeeReal Cn display is used where accuracy and overview is important. Compared to traditional two dimensional images, 3D visualisation gives you the extra edge of additional information not comprehensible on a flat screen. In addition, the SeeReal monitors are compatible with most 3D software and can be connected to any standard PC with a DVI output!

C-i 3D Imaging Display

#2 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Wow...

DCM23

Maximum resolution: 1920 x 1200
Panel interconnect: Digital DVI
Maximum pixel data rate: 165 million pixels per second

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:12 AM

Touchable Holograms.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

Kurzweil predicted full auditory and visual virtual reality by the end of 2009. I think it will be very close to being achieved but only in the "lab" and perhaps with the big screen movie "Avatar". It will certainly not be a ubiquitous consumer product by the end of this year.

#5 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

Kurzweil predicted full auditory and visual virtual reality by the end of 2009. I think it will be very close to being achieved but only in the "lab" and perhaps with the big screen movie "Avatar". It will certainly not be a ubiquitous consumer product by the end of this year.

No. but then Kurzweil never really anticipated a President who would repress science as badly as Bush either. Bush's economic policies had a lot of repressive effects across every industry by reducing the amount of "free" capital available for research. Video game companies might have pushed the research a bit harder had they had a market that was as liquid as it was when Bush took office with a debt free USA. Bush may have only ACTIVELY suppressed some sciences, but that massive drain on the economy certainly had farther reaching effects than are readily apparent.

now, with the advent of the new capacitor batteries with massively longer life spans, I see a whole slew of new lightweight battery driven devices becoming practical, like OLED lenses for stereoscopic displays joined to the emotiv headset. Long life fast recharge batteries would make such devices far more convenient to use for the end user..

#6 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:43 AM

Video game companies might have pushed the research a bit harder had they had a market that was as liquid as it was when Bush took office with a debt free USA.

We haven't been debt free since the presidency of Andrew Jackson; and the debt is stacking up as fast, or faster than ever. As far as Kurzweill goes, his keyboards are great, but I suspect most of his predictions will turn out to be wildly optimistic.

#7 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:52 AM

Video game companies might have pushed the research a bit harder had they had a market that was as liquid as it was when Bush took office with a debt free USA.

We haven't been debt free since the presidency of Andrew Jackson; and the debt is stacking up as fast, or faster than ever. As far as Kurzweill goes, his keyboards are great, but I suspect most of his predictions will turn out to be wildly optimistic.

I agree. Anyways, we still have some 4 months ahead of us until 2010. I'll bump a topic i made about Kurzweil's predictions (from his 1999 book) from 2000 to 2009. Should be fun to analyze them.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

I think val meant that our budget was in surplus; no deficit, not no debt. The debt is stacking up fast, or faster than ever, due largely to earlier administration policies. Not that I see things improving, mind you. The important thing about national debt is its size relative to GDP. It has been worse in the past than it is today. The other day I heard a radio program talking about Kurzweil. Apparently he predicted "a world of interconnected computers" back in the 1980s. That doesn't seem like a very tough prediction, since it already existed.

#9 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

I think val meant that our budget was in surplus; no deficit, not no debt. The debt is stacking up fast, or faster than ever, due largely to earlier administration policies. Not that I see things improving, mind you. The important thing about national debt is its size relative to GDP. It has been worse in the past than it is today. The other day I heard a radio program talking about Kurzweil. Apparently he predicted "a world of interconnected computers" back in the 1980s. That doesn't seem like a very tough prediction, since it already existed.

Yes I did indeed niner. Our Economy was booming in 1999, despite the survivalist nutjobs, the y2kers and all the rest of the end of the millennium madness.

Then eight years of Bush tanked it. One does have to wonder how much has been delayed that would have occurred had we not had to suffer those eight years of mismanagement.

#10 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

This is neat! but the economy is falling now, isn't it? this can delay and harm progress even more

#11 Freelancer

• 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Isn't the whole idea of kurzweil's predictions that it is mostly independant of economics/wars and such?

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

This is neat! but the economy is falling now, isn't it? this can delay and harm progress even more

The economy tanked last year; most economists and financial people feel it has turned around now. Markets up 50% from the low can't be viewed as horrible.

Isn't the whole idea of kurzweil's predictions that it is mostly independant of economics/wars and such?

I'd say mostly. R&D happens even when economies aren't great. If the economy got bad enough, obviously there would be an impact, but if our recent economic mess didn't stop R&D, I'm not sure what would. Wars would only matter to the extent that they wreck the economy, or if they resulted in physical disruption of research, like a bomb hit the lab or a key researcher were killed. Wars today tend to be small affairs fought in places where there isn't much R&D going on.

#13 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

http://hplusmagazine...t-communication

light weight, accurate Data gloves. One step closer to VR

#14 thestuffjunky

• 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

I'm gonna make this easy... us elders(30+) may remember VIRTUABOY? The old game system that had the 3D goggles from maybe early 90s... well, look at nintendo Wii, the new XBOX concepts, or even 3D HD televisions that are out now... VR has been here, just a matter of sci-fi catching up with modern times and vice versa. And as for the economy, in general, sure it is way down, however, remember, the more COOL gadgets and tech stuff that is made, the more ppl we need to make and maintain them..... thank you Kurzweil for your forecasts of the future, GENE roddenberry was right beside you....

i can be found live at

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Getting closer to the famed sci-fi holodeck from Star Trek. No doubt this will be useful for science.

However, what the heck were the designers thinking!!? Stony Brook probably spent a gazzillion dollars on this display. Couldn't anyone have suggested a somewhat curved bank of screens? Isn't that how we perceive the world? My world isn't shaped like a box. And even more maddening, what is up with the frames/borders around the screens?!! Considering the huge amount of money they paid for the high res screens, one would think they could have gotten the manufacturer to make the frame/border smaller or figured out a way to take them off and mount the screens right next to each other. That would have certainly enhanced the "reality" of the display.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#16 TheGreenMan

• 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

There's some interesting tech being released this year that some might find very interesting. While it isn't a holo-deck, it does come very close to emulating a 3-D environment perceived by the eyes.
What this technology does is provide 3-D images to each eye to perceive 3-D distances, detail, etc. In addition it has head-tracking which is very interesting, I've heard talk of eye tracking but it isn't in the Developers version atm.
Its called the Oculus Rift, and if anyone has seen the series Dot Hack then they certainly know the potential of such an incredible technology.
Here's the main site:
http://www.oculusvr.com/
Here's a demonstration of the pre-release development kit (bulky compared to size of the official release)

I hope someone finds this interesting!

I'm definitely stoked to start developing games with this, also I hope this helps a few more games to be realized :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users