• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

"Share to Win"

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

fuck, I see the Twitter tweet said that. 3 days to do the count?? I thought they said they had some software that would do it?

#92 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

It says on their website.

#93 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

Wow, the 30th just got even more interesting.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 Florin

• 849 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

I think there are a few strategic reasons why we won (mainly related to last minute actions):
  • Comments for SENSF's competitor petered out around 9 PM PDT while SENSF comments kept coming right until the end
  • Imminst mass email
  • David Jean Robert urged the "Transhumanists" and "Immortality" Facebook group admins to send a mass email
  • I urged Aubrey to send a mass email to the SENS cause and post on his Wall
It seems that the lessons to be learned here are not to allow your competition to develop a wide lead and use untapped resources to create a surge of support in the last few hours of the contest.

#95 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

This is awesome news!

I do feel bad for the other organization, however. They support a noble cause as well. However, they still get $2,000 so I can't feel too bad...

Edited by Vgamer1, 28 September 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#96 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

By the way, where can I find the final totals?

#97 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

I urged Aubrey to send a mass email to the SENS cause and post on his Wall

Same here... So he was probably getting a lot of such messages. He always replies back, which I find surprising with the amount of emails he likely gets.

#98 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

I think there are a few strategic reasons why we won (mainly related to last minute actions):

• Comments for SENSF's competitor petered out around 9 PM PDT while SENSF comments kept coming right until the end
  • Imminst mass email
  • David Jean Robert urged the "Transhumanists" and "Immortality" Facebook group admins to send a mass email
  • I urged Aubrey to send a mass email to the SENS cause and post on his Wall
It seems that the lessons to be learned here are not to allow your competition to develop a wide lead and use untapped resources to create a surge of support in the last few hours of the contest.

I urged the Transhumanist group to send a mass e-mail too. I also tried with the Transhumanist Student Network and the 10,000 group and one or two others. Thought it was all worth a try as it was getting last minute and nothing was sure.

Yes, it was surprising how hard it was to keep ahead and showed how much effort it takes and that you can't be complacent. I spent quite a lot of time making posts to various places yesterday, which I hope helped. At one point I thought it was no use and the other group were too much ahead, but then we surged off again. Don't forget though we still can't be sure of having won presumably, what with the count of unique comments going on. Why they have to take so long I don't know

Edited by orlando, 28 September 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#99 Florin

• 849 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

I'm glad David and I weren't the only ones urging Facebook admins and Aubrey to do the right thing. I think I'll add the large LE/H+ Facebook groups/causes to the MF/SENSF marketing list for future reference.

And, yes, I know that the totals aren't official, but from what I've seen, it's unlikely that there are over 100 duplicate usernames. Even if we didn't really win due to duplicates, I think the strategy that I outlined is still a good one when going against small competitors. I suspect that when going against a larger competitor, we'll need to bring every resource to bear at the very start of the contest just to keep up.

Edited by Florin Clapa, 28 September 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#100 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

I'm glad David and I weren't the only ones urging Facebook admins and Aubrey to do the right thing. I think I'll add the large LE/H+ Facebook groups/causes to the MF/SENSF marketing list for future reference.

And, yes, I know that the totals aren't official, but from what I've seen, it's unlikely that there are over 100 duplicate usernames. Even if we didn't really win due to duplicates, I think the strategy that I outlined is still a good one when going against small competitors. I suspect that when going against a larger competitor, we'll need to bring every resource to bear at the very start of the contest just to keep up.

I guess so. I really hope you are right that we have won. I feel I want to celebrate, but can't until Wednesday

#101 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

I guess so. I really hope you are right that we have won. I feel I want to celebrate, but can't until Wednesday

Even if we didn't win, this event has given us a chance to develop organizing strategies and, I think, will allow us to improve on those processes in the future. Additionally, if we finish second, SENS-F will still get $2000.00. So, win or lose, I think we have gained from this experience.

#102 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

Even if we didn't win, this event has given us a chance to develop organizing strategies and, I think, will allow us to improve on those processes in the future. Additionally, if we finish second, SENS-F will still get $2000.00. So, win or lose, I think we have gained from this experience.

yes, that's true

#103 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Did we win? The results should be announced today?

#104 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

http://3banana.com/c...ounces-winners/

The winners are:

• The SENS Foundation – Grand prize: $5,000 – Develops and promotes widespread access to regenerative medicine solutions to the disabilities and diseases of aging.
  • Los Angeles Habilitation House – Second Prize: $2,000 – Helps create and maintain jobs for persons with disabilities and veterans with PTSD or traumatic brain injury.
  • Disaster Accountability Project – Third Prize, Environment: $1,000 – Improves disaster management systems through public accountability, citizen oversight and empowerment, whistle-blower engagement, and policy research and advocacy.
  • Art in All of Us – Third Prize, Education: $1,000 – Promotes tolerance and cultural exchanges by creative and art activities in schools around the world.
  • Institute of HeartMath – Third Prize, Health: $1,000 – Researches stress, emotional physiology, and the heart-brain interaction to improve health, well being and quality of life.

#105 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Thank you. I looked but somehow I missed them, or they were not up then. Yay.

#106 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

WOHOOOO!

Great job everyone. I know many of you posted comments and helped SENSF over the top for this grant money.

http://3banana.com/c...ounces-winners/

The winners are:

• The SENS Foundation – Grand prize: $5,000 – Develops and promotes widespread access to regenerative medicine solutions to the disabilities and diseases of aging.
  • Los Angeles Habilitation House – Second Prize: $2,000 – Helps create and maintain jobs for persons with disabilities and veterans with PTSD or traumatic brain injury.
  • Disaster Accountability Project – Third Prize, Environment: $1,000 – Improves disaster management systems through public accountability, citizen oversight and empowerment, whistle-blower engagement, and policy research and advocacy.
  • Art in All of Us – Third Prize, Education: $1,000 – Promotes tolerance and cultural exchanges by creative and art activities in schools around the world.
  • Institute of HeartMath – Third Prize, Health: $1,000 – Researches stress, emotional physiology, and the heart-brain interaction to improve health, well being and quality of life.

#107 Oliver_R

• 74 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

:) :) :-D great news

#108 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

nice, very nice :)

#109 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Everyone did awesome work in getting this to happen.

Moving this thread to the general area to allow further discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users