Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Low carbohydrate, high protein diet increases mortality

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

It's just extemely naive on your part to be so trusting of a scientific abstract, while so untrusting of all first-hand accounts, esp. from people who have proven themselves to be trustworthy.

While you are right that it is naive, or maybe more exactly, intelectually dishonest to use abstracts (and not full papers or better yet the totality of evidence) to arrive at a strong conclusion you should forget first-hand accounts. There is no such thing like a reliable first hand account. Everyone is subject to cognitive and statistical bias. Everyone is subject to the placebo effect. Everyone is human. And we're all slaves to statistics (do you think the bull curve, including the SD, applies to everyone but you and your measurements?).

Thus even well-controlled case-reports, i.e. a level of evidence much higher than anecdotes, are inherently unreliable. Sometimes we're forced to use such weak evidence, but preferably, no.

Instead of saying long winded stuff like this why don't you write a dissertation on the reasons these conflicts exist and then proceed to prove point for point why personal accounts and biomarkers of several case reports are inferior to 'statistical data'. Personally I never trusted statistics fully. There is far too much randomness of phenomenon, variation in individual responses and genetic determinants to trust an abstraction called statistics. This is why prozac made many people worse than they were before using it. They took a statistical abstraction (I.E that such and such a cross section of the populace responded chemically well to the drug) and applied it to the whole human race. That's why they created many other drugs/doses to account for chemical variations. Not everyone is the same. But that is why I prefer natural supplements and a natural lifestyle. Nature, for the most part, caters to our needs, regardless of our genetic variability.
  • dislike x 1

#122 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

Wow. I really should stop warning people not to kill themselves. Thank you for reminding me. Do as you please, I'll stick to evidence-based science and the well-established hierarchy of evidence.

Edited by kismet, 02 December 2009 - 02:57 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 quasi13

• 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

Wow. I really should stop warning people not to kill themselves. Thank you for reminding me. Do as you please, I'll stick to evidence-based science and the well-established hierarchy of evidence.

No, don't stop! I can see how your comments could be taken as abrasive or argumentative, but I think you've shown that your intentions don't align with either descriptor. Your contributions are valuable by themselves, and they also challenge others to improve their contributions.

#124 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

I'm always happy to see your posts, kismet. Too many here take a haphazard approach - I have been guilty too.

#125 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

Don't stop posting, kismet. Bear in mind that some posters fall into the category of "negative indicators"...

#126 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

There has also been noted a correspondence between higher triglyceride levels and higher levels of smaller, denser LDL particles and alternately lower triglyceride levels and higher levels of the larger, less dense LDL.

Small LDL and its clinical importance as a new CAD risk factor: a female case study.

Estimating low-density lipoprotein cholesterol by the Friedewald equation is adequate for classifying patients on the basis of nationally recommended cutpoints.

It seems adventageous to have total triglycerides within "safe" range, favorable LDL/HDL ratio and subtype. That is the only sure way to reduce CVD risk, everything else is a gamble IMO. Especially considering the role that LDL/HDL play in the body, high total triglycerides is indicative of trouble regardless of particle subtype or ratio.

This is my understanding as well.

#127 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

Don't stop posting, kismet. Bear in mind that some posters fall into the category of "negative indicators"...

And some fall into the category of condescending obscurantum. Facts are facts. Whether statistical or from case studies. Ignoring case reports and personal experience on the basis of a study or two is ridiculous.
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users