- - - - -

Dual-GPU folding issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

I've recently purchased a GTX 295 card, thinking that I can get a good 16,000 ppd or so out of it. However, I've only managed to get one of the cores folding so far. I'm using the following flags: "-gpu 0 -verbosity 9 -local" for the first client, and "-gpu 1 -verbosity 9 -local -forcegpu nvidia_g80" for the second. I'm using Windows XP 32-bit, Nvidida's latest 191.07 drivers, and the F@H-GPU console client. The first client runs fine, but the second gives me "UNSTABLE_MACHINE" errors all the time, and rarely if ever starts folding. I have disabled PhysX. Disabling or enabling multi-GPU mode makes no difference. Right now I'm thinking heat is the problem, since the cores get pretty hot when folding (90°C or so). But this should be alright for a GTX 295, since it's rated by Nvidia to withstand temperatures of up to 105°C. However, it might still be an issue.

What to do? Suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: Problem solved - apparently I didn't do it correctly the first time. All I had to do was extend the desktop with multi-GPU mode disabled. Both cores are folding away nicely now. :) I just have to remember enabling multi-GPU mode again when I'm gaming.

An interesting side-effect of this is that there's no barrier on the right side of the screen for the mouse cursor, since there's an "invisible" 1920x1080 desktop there. :D

Edited by Johan, 27 October 2009 - 06:12 PM.

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Ah you people in the developed world that can afford such marvels easily. This graphics card alone costs here the equivalent of U$2,000 to you (or euros). I'd be happy enough with just one of the cores :)

Sorry i can't help you, though.

Edited by forever freedom, 27 October 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#3 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

I've recently purchased a GTX 295 card, ...
What to do? Suggestions appreciated.

Hi Johan, thanks for your application of GTX295 for folding.

Thanks for inquiring about help.

Please let us know how it is going. Guess we can get an idea from observing the stats.

------------------------------------

Edit:

Looking back at your post, you announced you had fixed the problem while I was composing a related message.

Sounds like your solution involved Extending the Desktop, to allow for multiple monitors in WinXP.

Edited by dnamechanic, 27 October 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#4 Johan

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

How would I go about solving this in the new Windows 7? I have read that I need a second monitor for it to work.

#5 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

How would I go about solving this in the new Windows 7? I have read that I need a second monitor for it to work.

Not sure, but I think that is not a common problem these days.

Several months ago when people first started folding with multiple GPUs, some OS'es (either XP or Vista) required a monitor to be attached to all cards. Or, at least appear to the OS to have a monitor connected. Thus, the rise of "Dummy loads", "Dummy Terminators", etc.

The devices essentially loaded the monitor connector with the right resistive loads to switch the OS/hardware into "monitor connected" mode.

Chungenhung used such things to get all his GPU running, see this thread.

They look like this; (photo of dummy loads).

Haven't heard of anyone needing these in a while, it may depend on which driver version is in use.

EVGA forums has a discussion here.

The more recent posts in that thread may be relevant.

#6 Johan

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

dnamechanic, thanks for the link. My video card only has two DVI-I and two HDMI ports, but I have a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I could connect my TV with a VGA cable using the adapter - do you think that would suffice as a second monitor? Or could I plug three resistors into the VGA end of the adapter and use that directly as a "dummy plug"?

On the other hand, another 1920x1080 monitor would be nice for gaming. :~

EDIT: I read here that the latest 191.07 drivers (the ones I have) don't require dummy plugs for multi-GPU folding to work.

Edited by Johan, 29 October 2009 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users