Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:00 AM

my suggestion is ~2mg 150% dri as standard thiamine

#3 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

does anyone have any comments on using thiamine pyrophosphate? bioavailability/physiological effects?

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Personally, my favourite form of thiamine is TTFD (Thiamine Tetrahydrofurfuryl Disulfide).
It is an allithiamine (fat soluble).

It's not a very common form, though.

Just throwing this out there. I suspect it's unlikely to find a place in the multivitamin.

#5 waldemar

• 206 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

What about Benfotiamine or Sulbutiamine?

#6 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

benfotiamine could work, but doesn't cross the BBB. Sulbutiamine could be done too, but probably at lower dosages... 50mg ballpark and no more.

TTFD, which i believe is the actual name for allithiamine (not the category, but the actual thiamine with the combination of thiamine+allicin).

#7 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

benfotiamine could work, but doesn't cross the BBB. Sulbutiamine could be done too, but probably at lower dosages... 50mg ballpark and no more.

TTFD, which i believe is the actual name for allithiamine (not the category, but the actual thiamine with the combination of thiamine+allicin).

Sulbutiamine is more of a stimulant, though. Probably not ideal for a multivitamin.

Allithiamine is fat soluble, and has effects that thiamine definitely does not.
Allithiamine can also help if Sulbutiamine doesn't work.

Edited by rwac, 03 November 2009 - 04:16 PM.

#8 shazam

• 197 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:04 AM

Hmm. I don't know a hell of a lot about thiamines. I'd want the dosage to be moderate but not high (nothing above 40mg) seeing as most people get a fair amount from food anyway. I've also heard of a form called "Thiamine pyrophosphate (cocarboxylase)".

Honestly though, in the dosages that you're likely to use, thiamin mononitrate should suffice. Make it a low dose, if it ends up being that. Something around 15-25mg. Still got some reading to do on benfo, but apparantly the higher dosages are when you start seeing benefits.

Vote for thiamine is yes. But not too much.

Edited by shazam, 05 November 2009 - 06:05 AM.

#9 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hmm. I don't know a hell of a lot about thiamines. I'd want the dosage to be moderate but not high (nothing above 40mg) seeing as most people get a fair amount from food anyway. I've also heard of a form called "Thiamine pyrophosphate (cocarboxylase)".

Honestly though, in the dosages that you're likely to use, thiamin mononitrate should suffice. Make it a low dose, if it ends up being that. Something around 15-25mg. Still got some reading to do on benfo, but apparantly the higher dosages are when you start seeing benefits.

Vote for thiamine is yes. But not too much.

IIRC, the body doesn't absorb anything past 50mg for benfo. i'll go look for the study right now, but i think the result was that 50mg showed the same efficacy as 250mg.

oh, and apparently, the common name for TTFD is Fursultiamine.

#10 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

There has been discussions here regarding if B1 increases the cancer risk. I would prefer a near RDA dose because of this. Benfotiamine is may be unavailable for legal reasons. Sulbutiamine, Allithiamine, Fursultiamine etc are very experimental. Personally I prefer to not gamble with high-dose of amounts of experimental substances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users