Photo
- - - - -

is it good to start using Resveratrol while still young or

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

is it good to start taking Reservetrol while young and very healthy or wait until later on in life like around 45 or 50 years of age?

im currently 32 years old.

also how long can Reservetrol expand your life with you eating healthy, exercising and getting enough sleep.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

is it good to start taking Reservetrol while young and very healthy or wait until later on in life like around 45 or 50 years of age?

im currently 32 years old.

also how long can Reservetrol expand your life with you eating healthy, exercising and getting enough sleep.

At this time there is no definitive answer to your last question; even caloric restriction, the gold standard for life extension, is not known definitively to extend human life.

Experiments with mice have shown an effect on sexual maturation when administered to young mice: smaller vaginal openings earlier estrus in females. Resveratrol may block the estrogen receptors on bone growth plates, due to its estrogen mimetic structure. This would close the growth plates prematurely and lead to stunted growth. After the growth plates have closed, usually by age 24 in human males, this would not be a factor.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

I wish the high purity Resveratrol product had been available when I was your age. Its probably a good idea to try it now and see if you can tolerate it. Some people find it does'nt agree with their systems. I suggest you read the postings here. There is very little human data, that can be validated. The majority of studies involved rodents and cell cultures, not humans or primates.

#4 X_Danny_X

• Topic Starter
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

I wish the high purity Resveratrol product had been available when I was your age. Its probably a good idea to try it now and see if you can tolerate it. Some people find it does'nt agree with their systems. I suggest you read the postings here. There is very little human data, that can be validated. The majority of studies involved rodents and cell cultures, not humans or primates.

i was reading the thread about maximizing resveratrol effectiveness and someone posted that their body had a huge hive brake outs.

so who do i go too to see if Resveratrol is effecting my body in a positive way? my doctor says nootropics dont work or resveratrol which i highly disagree but i just stay quite. i was thinking a neurologist or some nutritionist

#5 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

I don't see why people would try resveratrol, especially at this point, unless they were over 30-35.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:33 AM

I don't agree that there is a shortage of human data. There are a number of clinical trials, several of which have completed. There have been several published human pharmacokinetic studies, and finally we have had a great deal of independent use reported here. In some ways this has been the most valuable, as people reporting here seem to have uncovered more of the low-frequency side effects (e.g. tendinitis) than the clinical trials have unveiled so far.

i was reading the thread about maximizing resveratrol effectiveness and someone posted that their body had a huge hive brake outs.

That was one person, and we don't know what they were taking or how much they took. It was probably a low-purity version of resveratrol, which most people here do not recommend.

so who do i go too to see if Resveratrol is effecting my body in a positive way? my doctor says nootropics dont work or resveratrol which i highly disagree but i just stay quite. i was thinking a neurologist or some nutritionist

Your doctor doesn't sound like he's very familiar with either resveratrol or nootropics. A neurologist wouldn't be able to tell you anything about what resveratrol was doing. I wouldn't bother with a nutritionist unless you want nutrition advice. There are a number of things that you can look at yourself. Start by looking at your athletic endurance. It will probably improve, although absolute strength probably will not be affected unless you train (or train harder). Higher endurance might well allow you to train harder, so the two might go hand in hand. Monitor your weight, basal temp, pulse rate, and blood pressure. You may well see changes in some of these. If you have any ongoing inflammation, you may see an improvement in it as well.

You are certainly old enough to use resveratrol if you so desire.

#7 X_Danny_X

• Topic Starter
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:21 AM

I don't agree that there is a shortage of human data. There are a number of clinical trials, several of which have completed. There have been several published human pharmacokinetic studies, and finally we have had a great deal of independent use reported here. In some ways this has been the most valuable, as people reporting here seem to have uncovered more of the low-frequency side effects (e.g. tendinitis) than the clinical trials have unveiled so far.

That was one person, and we don't know what they were taking or how much they took. It was probably a low-purity version of resveratrol, which most people here do not recommend.

Your doctor doesn't sound like he's very familiar with either resveratrol or nootropics. A neurologist wouldn't be able to tell you anything about what resveratrol was doing. I wouldn't bother with a nutritionist unless you want nutrition advice. There are a number of things that you can look at yourself. Start by looking at your athletic endurance. It will probably improve, although absolute strength probably will not be affected unless you train (or train harder). Higher endurance might well allow you to train harder, so the two might go hand in hand. Monitor your weight, basal temp, pulse rate, and blood pressure. You may well see changes in some of these. If you have any ongoing inflammation, you may see an improvement in it as well.

You are certainly old enough to use resveratrol if you so desire.

thanks Niner, your informative post was great. yeah, so far Doctors are unfamiliar or say i am wasting my money on Nootropics. I thought Doctors were aware of such things and the evidence to back it up if little old me is able to do so as well.

so Resevatrol can improve me physcally if i work out in the gym or do some sprinting?

can you please give the threads about people who used Resevatrol in this forum and posted their results? Also how can i monitor my basal temp, pulse rate and blood pressure at home? i believe i will see a doctor for that.

Edited by X_Danny_X, 03 November 2009 - 05:44 AM.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:43 AM

thanks Niner, your informative post was great. yeah, so far Doctors are unfamiliar or say i am wasting my money on Nootropics. I thought Doctors were aware of such things and the evidence to back it up if little old me is able to do so as well.

so Resevatrol can improve me physcally if i work out in the gym or do some sprinting?

can you please give the threads about people who used Resevatrol in this forum and posted their results?

You should peruse the resveratrol forum here. It's under the Bioscience, Health & Nutrition / Supplements fora. You might find This Thread interesting.

If you use it as a search term, make sure you spell it "resveratrol".

#9 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

If resveratrol turns out to be as wonderful in humans as it is in lab mice, then you'll be able stretch your health/life span even longer than someone who starts at middle age - square the curve as they say. You might prevent or stop an unknown cancer. And even if it doesn't turn you into superman, it could be just enough to push you into escape velocity. There aren't any significant side effects other than price, which won't be an issue forever.

At 23, I take 0.5 to 1 grams sublingualy and noticed subtle effects, but then I take a lot things. IMO, it's more about the big picture than a single supplement. If you're meeting all your nutritional requirements, exercising, taking the right supplements, resveratrol is icing on the cake. So... if you can justify the price, why the heck not????

I do think the effects are more noticeable in older people, such as my grandmother who raves about it. It's gotta be doing something good under the hood for us younger folk.

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 03 November 2009 - 07:37 AM.

#10 X_Danny_X

• Topic Starter
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

thanks guys, i will buy then Micronized Resveratrol & Tween 80 from RevGenetics since it is basically advertise alot here.

thanks again Niner, i will do what you said to do.

Edited by X_Danny_X, 03 November 2009 - 10:37 AM.

#11 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

There is no evidence at all that resveratrol helps those in their 20s or early 30s.

Dr. Sinclair has said he has thought that people should consider starting to drink red wine at age 35.

Edited by opendoor, 03 November 2009 - 12:57 PM.

#12 X_Danny_X

• Topic Starter
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

There is no evidence at all that resveratrol helps those in their 20s or early 30s.

Dr. Sinclair has said he has thought that people should consider starting to drink red wine at age 35.

okay, so no evidence what so ever and why is the reason to start at age 35? this is when the body officially starts to decline in both mind and body?

#13 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

okay, so no evidence what so ever and why is the reason to start at age 35? this is when the body officially starts to decline in both mind and body?

From what I know, decline sets in at age 25, but that is sort of an average of mind and body. Dr. Sinclair is a leading expert in the resveratrol field, and I'm just repeating what he said. His logic makes sense, though. The decline is very mild from 25 to 35. Look at cancer, stroke and heart disease. Almost no one gets those until 45 , but say 40 to be more conservative. The point is that resveratrol is likely not going to do anything for you until you start reaching 40, or even 35.

But if you want to take it for three years ahead of time, then go for it.

#14 X_Danny_X

• Topic Starter
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

From what I know, decline sets in at age 25, but that is sort of an average of mind and body. Dr. Sinclair is a leading expert in the resveratrol field, and I'm just repeating what he said. His logic makes sense, though. The decline is very mild from 25 to 35. Look at cancer, stroke and heart disease. Almost no one gets those until 45 , but say 40 to be more conservative. The point is that resveratrol is likely not going to do anything for you until you start reaching 40, or even 35.

But if you want to take it for three years ahead of time, then go for it.

i wanna take it when it is actually going to benefit me. so i guess i can wait a few more years.

#15 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

i wanna take it when it is actually going to benefit me. so i guess i can wait a few more years.

I can see circcumstances where one might consider starting at 32. Keep reading up on resveratrol as well.

#16 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

In Italy they start drinking wine by four. Or as soon as they are weaned. Dr. Sinclair has said a lot of things he has backed off or qualified later. Trust but verify.

#17 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:24 AM

In Italy they start drinking wine by four. Or as soon as they are weaned. Dr. Sinclair has said a lot of things he has backed off or qualified later. Trust but verify.

Sinclair hasn't reversed himself on that, and it makes sense based on aging averages. Do you really think those under 25 should take lots of resveratrol?
Sinclair has also stated this year that he isn't sure why so many are trying a "human experiment" on themselves until more is known about resveratrol. So X_danny might want to consider a variety of views.

#18 ensun

• 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:22 AM

My opinion is that however gradual aging may be at 25-35, it can still be reduced. Low dosage resveratrol would most likely be beneficial.

#19 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

My opinion is that however gradual aging may be at 25-35, it can still be reduced. Low dosage resveratrol would most likely be beneficial.

OK, but what do you base this on? And why wouldn't a 32 year old wait a year or two when much more information will be out in 2012?

#20 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

OK, but what do you base this on? And why wouldn't a 32 year old wait a year or two when much more information will be out in 2012?

It is like climate change, that is going through two phases: 1) Too soon to be certain, and 2) Too late to do anything about it.
  • Ill informed x 1

#21 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

It is like climate change, that is going through two phases: 1) Too soon to be certain, and 2) Too late to do anything about it.

For a 32 year old?? You can't be serious.

#22 ensun

• 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Resveratrol has been consumed in the human diet for a long, long time. A little bit isn't going to hurt him. Human epidemiological data and mouse studies are sufficient for me. It depends on your level of comfort.

#23 ensun

• 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

By the way, I wouldn't recommend high dose resveratrol for longevity yet unless trying to cure a disease such as cancer or diabetes. There is data that high dose resveratrol can be harmful in rats in conditions such as strokes, ulcers, etc.

http://resveratrolne.....e Renewed.htm
http://resveratrolne.....ic Ulcers.htm

#24 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Resveratrol has been consumed in the human diet for a long, long time. A little bit isn't going to hurt him.

Depends on what you mean by a little bit. A couple of glasses of red wine is one thing, but no-one has ever historically consumed 300mg at a time until recently, and that amount may well hurt him.

Edited by viveutvivas, 04 November 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#25 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

By the way, I wouldn't recommend high dose resveratrol for longevity yet unless trying to cure a disease such as cancer or diabetes. There is data that high dose resveratrol can be harmful in rats in conditions such as strokes, ulcers, etc.

If you look at Resveratrol News.com it is run by a company that makes low dose capsules. If you look at the bottom it states that the contact is longivefrack for the company, as well as being copyrighted by them as well.

Don't you think that maybe a little biased? :)

I know, I had a run in with "Gerry" back in march of 08 because of a "story" he was running. The short end of it, is that he was saying he was a non-profit hosted in Canada yet could not provide any documents to prove he was registered either in Canada or in the USA. (Yes I have all my emails from this incident.) I had to send his hosting company a notice of abuse, and sent him a cease and desist letter to have him take down some junk on his 'non-profit' website...now in 2009 they finally show at the bottom of the webpage who is really running these "stories", and it's certainly not a non-profit from Canada.

Basically ensun, don't believe everything you read from a website run by a company that only sells low dose resveratrol capsules.

BTW: Do you think this is a fake news site or a real one?

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 04 November 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#26 ensun

• 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

I have heard the guy's name around here a bit so I realized it is run by a biased source. But he is quoting real studies. It's hard to ignore.

In theory, it makes sense as well. We do know that high dose resveratrol induces apoptosis in damaged cells, while low dose resveratrol seems to induce longevity. So it would make sense that in the event of a heart attack, many damaged heart cells would die on high dose resveratrol. Since the heart regenerates very slowly, this would be a bad thing.

#27 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

ensum,

Many of the items you have read in that websites "news" articles have already been discussed here:

Please comment in the appropriate thread below, thanks.

Heart attack?
This has been discussed before. please read this post here regarding the study mentioned:
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=285564

Ulcers:
Here is a tidbit about ulcers:
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=284326

Longevity:
This post seems to provide scientific substance regarding lifespan, (again from a marketing campaign from the same folks):
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=283259

However geddarkstorm later posts a remarkable rebuttal which makes it clear the kind of marketing that is being done at some places.
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=283327

I appreciate the posts ensun, however please check out the search feature of this forum.

We have been talking about things for a couple of years or more, and most of the discussions are all here at your fingertips, just a quick search to help folks understand a bit more than what the real or fake "news" provides.

Thanks
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 04 November 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:36 AM

For a 32 year old?? You can't be serious.

Oh come on. You think that 32 is too young for resveratrol, but 35 is OK? The number of physiological differences between a 32 year old and a 35 year old that would represent a change in the hazard of resveratrol use is... zero.

16 is too young. 24 or 25 might be a reasonable time to use it if you want, or not use it. Resveratrol is not likely to provide a significant longevity increase in humans consuming a good diet. We do have evidence that it provides benefits in both healthy humans and humans with a variety of disease states. That's the reason to use it, not longevity.

#29 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:54 AM

This is a commercial site for low-dose resveratrol plus magical ingredients longtitude pills. I have corresponded with Mr B>S> who runs it trying to get him to specify what studies supported this position.

He has repeatedly claimed the Auwerx study and Sinclair's study in mice on a normal diet showed high dose res shortened the mouse life-span. Negatory. Examination of the paper and the supplemental data showed no such thing. The res fed mice showed no statistically significant extension or diminution of life span over normal diet mice. Interestingly the calorically restricted mice fed resveratrol slightly outlived calorically restricted mice without resveratrol, and both outlived normal-diet mice. The data as presented in no way supports the claim that high-dose resveratrol shortens rodent life-span. If there were any data that it did, it shoud have been published with the study, Mr.BS continues to make the claim despite the fact it is false, and only changes the subject when called on it.

The claim that high dose res weakens heart muscle is based on a study at University of Connecticut. They force-fed (gavage) rats various doses of resveratrol -- equivalent to several grams in a human -- then cut out their hearts and kept them beating in a chemical bath, They then cut off oxygen for a period of time and measured how long the hearts continued to beat. The res fed rat hearts.stopped beating sooner. One can conclude that resveratrol damaged the hearts, but this has little to do with what might happen to hearts in a healthy body, even under stress. An alternate explanation to Das's anthropomorphic "death-signal" from resveratrol is this: resveratrol stimulates apoptosis, a process in which damaged cells effectively commit suicide and die. The hearts of resveratrol fed rats died, because the damaged cells ceased to function sooner. Again, translating this into a dosage recommendation i humans, healthy or otherwise, but still alive wih beating hearts in their bodies, is in a word IMPOSSIBLE.

The papers are:

Resveratrol delays age-related deterioration and mimics transcriptional aspects of dietary restriction without extending life span.
Pearson KJ, Baur JA, Lewis KN, Peshkin L, Price NL, Labinskyy N, Swindell WR, Kamara D, Minor RK, Perez E, Jamieson HA, Zhang Y, Dunn SR, Sharma K, Pleshko N, Woollett LA, Csiszar A, Ikeno Y, Le Couteur D, Elliott PJ, Becker KG, Navas P, Ingram DK, Wolf NS, Ungvari Z, Sinclair DA, de Cabo R.
Cell Metab. 2008 Aug;8(2):157-68. Epub 2008 Jul 3.
PMID: 18599363

J Nutr Biochem. 2009 Jun;20(6):443-52. Epub 2008 Sep 11.
Resveratrol, a unique phytoalexin present in red wine, delivers either survival signal or death signal to the ischemic myocardium depending on dose.
Dudley J, Das S, Mukherjee S, Das DK.

Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030-1110, USA.
Recent studies have demonstrated the cardioprotective abilities of resveratrol, a polyphenolic antioxidant present in red wine. Resveratrol can also kill cancer cells at relatively higher doses by exerting a death signal. We reasoned that resveratrol might possess the ability to protect the cells at lower doses as observed during pharmacological preconditioning of the heart, while at higher doses cause cell death as found for cancer cells. To test this hypothesis, rats were randomly fed for 14 days by gavaging any of the four doses of resveratrol - 2.5, 5.0, 25 or 50 mg/kg - while vehicle-fed animals served as placebo control. After 14 days, isolated working hearts were prepared from both experimental and control animals, and the hearts were subjected to 30-min global ischemia followed by 2 h of reperfusion. The rats fed either 2.5 or 5 mg/kg dose of resveratrol for 14 days provided cardioprotection as evidenced by improved post-ischemic ventricular recovery and reduction of myocardial infarct size and cardiomyocyte apoptosis compared to control. In contrast, the hearts fed either 25 or 50 mg/kg dose of resveratrol depressed cardiac function and increased myocardial infarct size and number of apoptotic cells. The results for Western blots and RT-PCR demonstrated an increase of protein and RNA transcripts of redox proteins including thioredoxin (Trx)-1, Trx-2, glutaredoxin (Grx)-1, Grx-2, redox factor Ref-1 as well as redox-sensitive transcription factor NFkappaB, and survival factors such as phosphorylated-Akt (p-Akt), and Bcl-2 in the animals fed lower doses (2.5 and 5 mg/kg) of resveratrol, while the reverse was true for the animals fed higher doses (25 and 50 mg/kg) of resveratrol. The results thus indicate that at lower doses (2.5 or 5 mg/kg), resveratrol exerts survival signal by up-regulating anti-apoptotic and redox proteins Akt and Bcl-2, while at higher doses (>25 mg/kg), it potentiates a death signal by down-regulating redox proteins and up-regulating pro-apoptotic proteins.

PMID: 18789672

Hmmn, the Yankees won. I can go to bed now.

Edited by maxwatt, 05 November 2009 - 06:31 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Oh come on. You think that 32 is too young for resveratrol, but 35 is OK? The number of physiological differences between a 32 year old and a 35 year old that would represent a change in the hazard of resveratrol use is... zero.

Reread what I wrote. 25 to 35 is a grey area, but what is resveratrol supposed to possibly help prevent or hinder? Cancer, heart disease, strokes, arthritis and diabetes. The risk of any of these in a 32 year old is miniscule. Even at 35, the odds are very, very low, but once you reach 40 the risks have accumulated. By 50, the odds are still low, but a threat.

Dr. Sinclair said he thought people might want to consider drinking red wine starting at age 35 for the resveratrol benefits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users