Photo

Supplements before blood work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ronkupper

• 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hello,

Is it needed to stop taking supplements prior to taking a blood work?
If it is then how long before?

(For me I'm talking about Ortho-Core, Vit D 5000IU, Omega 3 and probiotics)

Thanks,

Ron

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

What tests are being performed? In general, I don't see any reason you would need to stop the listed supplements for any common blood tests.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ronkupper

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hi FunkOdyssey,

A normal blood test with vitamins check included.

Isn't it possible for the supplements to mask an underlying deficiency of vitamins or minerals?

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

If you are testing serum levels of various vitamins and minerals, in that case ortho-core would have an impact on the values, not the other supplements though.

#5 ronkupper

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

Hi FunkOdyssey - Thank you very much for your help!

Do you have an idea of how long could it take for the effect to subside once I've stopped taking the multi?

#6 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

It would likely be different each individual vitamin and mineral you're talking about. if you start googling for serum half-lives of everything you are blood testing for that should give you an idea.

If you are supposed to fast for this test, then I would not take any ortho-core after the time when you are permitted to eat your last meal.

#7 ronkupper

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

I'll sure search!

Thanks!

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:14 AM

It really depends on what you want to find out. Do you want to know your underlying level from diet, as though you were taking no supplements? Then you will need to stop supplementing for a long time, anywhere from days to months, to deplete the stores you have accumulated. Or do you want to know what your levels are at your current dose? In that case, the only thing you need to avoid is spiking your levels by taking the supplement just before you get blood drawn. If you take supplements every day, you should probably skip them on the day of the blood draw. That should be sufficient.

#9 ronkupper

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

I guess testing the current regime (with the supplements) for overdoses is as important (if not more) as testing the diet.

Thank you.

#10 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

I guess testing the current regime (with the supplements) for overdoses is as important (if not more) as testing the diet.

Testing for diet alone would take at least a month till all supplements have cleared from you body - and would have made most sense before you've started taking any.

At the stage of already taking supplements for some time the more interesting question for a blood test would be if you get sufficient or too much of any vitamins or mineral. That's a very important question since no multi is the same, and every person absorbs the different ingredients differently. Especially with vitamin D and 25(OH)D it's good to get its value every few months for adjusting the dose accordingly.

Kind regards..

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 ronkupper

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi Pamojja - Thank you for your response!

I did took a blood work 3 months ago prior to starting my regime.
I asked for a vitamin screening but unfortunately it came back only with B12(556pg/ml), Folic Acid(7.8ng/ml) and Vitamin D 25 (OH) (18).

Because I thought it will include more testing I started taking my supplements the day I took the test. (after it of course...)

Since then I'm taking every day Vitamin D3 5000IU, Ortho-Core 6 capsules and Magnesium Citrate 400mg (plus a few extras not relevant to this topic).
I'll try to ask for a more complete screening this time and hope that my Vit D level raised a bit.

Do you happen to know what tests are usually available? (Can they test serum K,E,A, etc?)

Best Regards,

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users