• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What is the number 1 anti-inflammatory supplement?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 FrankEd

• 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Could someone point me to a trustable source of liposomal curcumin, preferably one that was used by a person with cancer, and that can be shipped internationally?

I would like to help a friend that has cancer in early stages and is passing dificulties with chemo.

#32 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

So it might mess with the enorphin/dopamine/reward system. That sounds kind of bad to me.

I think it's unlikely to involve dopamine or reward mechanisms. The free radical production of intense exercise is probably what triggers the endorphin release, and the c60 reduces the radical level. The endorphins are released as a response to injury, and the injury level has been reduced.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

Could someone point me to a trustable source of liposomal curcumin, preferably one that was used by a person with cancer, and that can be shipped internationally?

I would like to help a friend that has cancer in early stages and is passing dificulties with chemo.

Three enhanced bioavailability formulations that I know are reliable names that have been used in some published studies are:

Longvida optimized curcumin

Theracurmin water-soluble curcumin

Meriva curcumin phytosome

I don't know if Meriva is the most potent of these options (or more potent than true liposomal curcumin), but I think it is likely the best bang for the buck. At Swanson you can Doctor's Best Meriva Curcumin for only about 20-25c per capsule. I don't know what the therapeutic dose is, but I think you'd want to take at least 5 capsules a day, for a total cost of just a little over a buck a day. Cheap cheap.

Edited by joelcairo, 21 April 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#34 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

At least judging on my own result on CRP, I am successful using using curcumin and zyflamend.By no means I intend to ad these products though, just wonder if you are using them and if successfully. I try to tackle inflammation quite aggressively also due to other conditions posted elsewhere (had a prostate TURP where they found a low grade PIN)

#35 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Since c60 is an antioxidant, would it cause us to have less adaptation/hypertrophy? So far, no one has noticed anything obvious. Another hypothetical is the effect it might have on cancer.

Ahh...now I remember why I decided against taking C-60. I was worried that doing so might short-circuit the adaptive process in a manner that permanently inhibits the bodies positive reaction to intermittent fasting. Similar to the outcome that was documented within a certain study of Alpha Lipoic Acid. That's the reason I have never taken that, either. Suffice it to say, I'm an intermittent fasting fan. I've been doing it for a long time with good to great results

I understand the decision to take ALA, even considering the trade-off, as well as C-60 despite not knowing the potential for permanent effect on adaptation. If C-60 did have a similar effect on adaption as ALA (and it very well may not), and if I understand the ALA study correctly, it would permanently stick you in whatever redox state of health state that you were in when you started. So, if you were metabolically healthy, it would hypothetically have the potential to 'freeze' you in that state, so to speak. Of course, the opposite holds true as well. I know that I'm not being fair to the still-to-be-judged C-60 with all of this hypothetical guilt-by-association rambling, but that is my thought process nonetheless.

Insofar as cancer is concerned, I think that you summed up the risk nicely. To paraphrase, if you're tumor free when you start, C-60 will likely do well to prevent tumors. If you have cancer when you start, it may very likely increase tumor 'resistance' to apoptosis or the immune system. As a concept, it makes sense to me. The risk is just knowing whether or not you have cancer, potentially undiagnosed, when you start.

Edited by golgi1, 21 April 2013 - 03:06 PM.

• like x 2

#36 leanguy

• 65 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

I felt the best anti-inflammatory response from Ecklonia Cava... 98% extract 100mg 2x day.

#37 August59

• 66 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

This could be to strong, but it has many of the anti-inflammatory supplements talked about on this thread:

http://www.nutricolo...ps-p-16465.html

#38 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

physical activity is the #1. Plus: no stomac issue. Though: not always applicable nor sufficient

#39 moleface

• 159 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

When I had crippling joint inflammation caused by celiac disease, niacinamide had pretty miraculous results for me. It's a COX-2 inhibitor and it had the most noticeable effect out of any anti-inflammatory supplement I tried. Unfortunately it can be hard on the liver and there's some evidence that it might be pro-aging.

#40 Cow

• 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I would look into tb-500, many other beneficial effects besides being anti-inflammatory

#41 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Devils claw

#42 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

A lot of talk about c60 lately. But no one is posting sources? Like, where can we buy this stuff?

Edited by TheFountain, 07 May 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#43 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

I would look into tb-500, many other beneficial effects besides being anti-inflammatory

Injection route probably makes it a no go for most although I guess someone could make a dmso topical. What about thymic shutdown from feedback inhibition?

Interesting anyway....
http://www.ironmagaz...en-why-how.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/19035385/

Edited by zorba990, 07 May 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#44 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Etanercept ;)

Nothing else comes close IME.

#45 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

DMSO is another one. It's probably the most effective short-term anti-inflammatory for muscle inflammations and can also act as a trans-dermal transport to boost its effectiveness even more by dissolving other anti-inflammatory things into it like curcumin or nsaids. Its injury healing properties are also quite good and can be similarly boosted by dissolving other healing supplements like gotu kola into it.

Howard

#46 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

s-acetyl-glutathione.
  • like x 1

#47 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

What are sources for C60 secretive?

Also surprised nobody mentioned Aloe vera juice. Stuff is really good for inflammation. I drink about a cup of it a day and notice I do not get as much redness on the surface of my skin when I am using it.

#48 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

DMSO is another one. It's probably the most effective short-term anti-inflammatory for muscle inflammations and can also act as a trans-dermal transport to boost its effectiveness even more by dissolving other anti-inflammatory things into it like curcumin or nsaids. Its injury healing properties are also quite good and can be similarly boosted by dissolving other healing supplements like gotu kola into it.

Howard

Do you find curcumin supplements clean enough to use with dmso? I'd be concerned about mixing it with any kind of unsterile foodstuff that it might introduce molds or ? Into the bloodstream.

#49 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Do you find curcumin supplements clean enough to use with dmso? I'd be concerned about mixing it with any kind of unsterile foodstuff that it might introduce molds or ? Into the bloodstream.

I've not had a problem doing it with the Now Foods Curcumin which is a 95% extract. I've also done it with the Swanson product without problem which also contains piperine. I think piperine also has an ability, similar to dmso, to enhance the absorption fungi supplements and I've never had a problem taking piperine/resveratrol caps, which I do more regularly than dmso, together with fungi supplements like lion's mane, reishi, and chaga. My own theory is that dmso and piperine only enhance the absorption of water soluble things and not lipid solubles... fungi and molds being strictly water soluble. I think fungi and molds can only cause problems if they somehow get past the blood brain barrier, which only lets through lipid solubles, into the brain and spinal column. Might be an issue, however, for users of highly lipophilic types of statins which I've heard can damage the bbb. An interesting side note is that this study suggests that Curcumin can repair certain damage to the bbb.

Howard

#50 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Fungi are cells, and I would be amazed if dmso managed to open up a large enough hole in the skin to bring in a cell. DMSO is a very unique solvent, and it can help to get a some molecules in that wouldn't otherwise get in, but I think cells are just too big.
  • Agree x 1

#51 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Fungi are cells, and I would be amazed if dmso managed to open up a large enough hole in the skin to bring in a cell. DMSO is a very unique solvent, and it can help to get a some molecules in that wouldn't otherwise get in, but I think cells are just too big.

Yes, since even larger molecules, such as human growth hormone, won't penetrate the skin with DMSO, entire cells should not be a worry, if they are dead. OTOH, it is a good question whether something like DMSO can make the skin more vulnerable to live pathogens.

I'd be more worried about the actual side effects of the DMSO itself. Apparently it is not an entirely benign substance.

Edited by viveutvivas, 10 May 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#52 LetMusicRule

• 36 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

Etanercept ;)

LOL. Kinda hard to beat am engineered antibody to the most potent inflammatory mediator!!! But there are many risks to long use of that as well. Like all of the potent antiinflammatory biologicals. Plus the cost of these things is outrageous for the time being.

Anyhow just seemed pretty obvious that nothing in the supplement close will come close to the biologicals, ever. Not even drugs can have the kind of affinity to inflammatory regulators that biologicals can. They really are in a class of their own, several fold above any drug on the market and certainly above any supplement you can find.

#53 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Any thoughts on the inflammation reducing effect of 99% Aloe vera juice? 

#54 Aditya Kumar

• 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

There are new drugs to target inflammation but i checked the prices, Phew so costly if one tries to buy from the seller of these experimental drugs.

BTW, In the NAD+ study, inflammation was severly reduced. Do you guys think that could be a possible route, in addition to the ones mentioned here, to tackle inflammation?

#55 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Among the NAD+ precursors, nicotinic acid additionally has anti-inflammatory effects through GPR109A activation, independent of its lipid modifying effects. As the other precursors lack this activity, they may not be as effective as anti-inflammatories.

Plaisance, Eric P., et al. "Niacin stimulates adiponectin secretion through the GPR109A receptor." American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism 296.3 (2009): E549-E558.

Digby, Janet E., et al. "Anti-inflammatory effects of nicotinic acid in adipocytes demonstrated by suppression of fractalkine, RANTES, and MCP-1 and upregulation of adiponectin." Atherosclerosis 209.1 (2010): 89-95.

Lukasova, Martina, et al. "Nicotinic acid inhibits progression of atherosclerosis in mice through its receptor GPR109A expressed by immune cells." The Journal of clinical investigation 121.3 (2011): 1163-1173.

Digby, Janet E., et al. "Anti-inflammatory effects of nicotinic acid in human monocytes are mediated by GPR109A dependent mechanisms."Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 32.3 (2012): 669-676.

Sia, Yanhong, et al. "Niacin inhibits vascular inflammation via down-regulating nuclear transcription factor-κB signaling pathway." (2014)

The last study found lowered expression of proinflammatory regulator NF-κB and notch1 (which has more complicated effects, some anti-inflammatory). As these are also known to be downregulated by sirtuin activity, this contribution may be common to all the effective NAD+ precursors:

Yeung, Fan, et al. "Modulation of NF‐κB‐dependent transcription and cell survival by the SIRT1 deacetylase." The EMBO journal 23.12 (2004): 2369-2380.

Guarani, Virginia, et al. "Acetylation-dependent regulation of endothelial Notch signalling by the SIRT1 deacetylase." Nature 473.7346 (2011): 234-238.

As an aside, there are over 1000 known NF-κB inhibitors, many of which probably act through upstream activation of Nrf2. These include the known flavonoid CD38 inhibitors (another potential part of a NAD+ directed supplement/diet routine) and many of the previously mentioned compounds in this thread.

Edited by Darryl, 29 April 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#56 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Another hypothetical is the effect it might have on cancer. If you already had cancer, c60 might be a bad idea because cancer cells have a lot of oxidative stress and tend to deplete their endogenous antioxidant reserves. You wouldn't want to refresh those reserves and help them out. That's something of a generic problem with antioxidants.

The problem with many forms of cancer is that they have the capacity to stay under-the-radar, if you will. My father has cancer and felt absolutely great until his first symptom manifested...and by that time it was too late. That's the frightening thing about cancer- how many of us have it right now without knowing. And when we do find out, for how many of us will it be too late. C60oo may be a little more problematic in this area than your run of the mill antioxidant, since it is ostensibly so much more powerful than other antioxidants. Hopefully than anticancer effect you describe is enough to curb that potential procancer effect.

#57 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Etanercept http://www.longecity...O_DIR#/wink.png

Yeah, if you're not particularly averse to coming down with intractable viral, bacterial, fungal, and/or protozoal infections; hepatitis B; autoimmune hepatitis; multiple sclerosis; fatal blood disorders; heart failure; lupus; and other autoimmune conditions.

I know there are tradeoffs with everything, but come on.

I think a drug that has such a long list of devastating and potentially fatal complications should not be on the list of a life extensionist, barring extreme circumstances.

Edited by Soma, 29 April 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#58 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Etanercept http://www.longecity...O_DIR#/wink.png

Yeah, if you're not particularly averse to coming down with intractable viral, bacterial, fungal, and/or protozoal infections; hepatitis B; autoimmune hepatitis; multiple sclerosis; fatal blood disorders; heart failure; lupus; and other autoimmune conditions.

I know there are tradeoffs with everything, but come on.

I think a drug that has such a long list of devastating and potentially fatal complications should not be on the list of a life extensionist, barring extreme circumstances.

Those side effects are very rare.  Etanercept is almost certainly safer than ibuprofen and other NSAIDs.

#59 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Those side effects are very rare.  Etanercept is almost certainly safer than ibuprofen and other NSAIDs.

That's impressive, considering the way we gobble ibuprofen with wild abandon.  I know someone who has a significantly degraded quality of life because the reported side effects (however rare they are) of anti-TNF Mabs scared her away, and she chose not to use one.  Over the years, ibuprofen has been looking worse and worse, but still, is their a significant body of post-marketing surveillance on Etanercept and its friends that says any of them are really that safe?  (Or is this more a statement about the danger of NSAIDs?)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Aditya Kumar

• 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Among the NAD+ precursors, nicotinic acid additionally has anti-inflammatory effects through GPR109A activation, independent of its lipid modifying effects. As the other precursors lack this activity, they may not be as effective as anti-inflammatories.

Plaisance, Eric P., et al. "Niacin stimulates adiponectin secretion through the GPR109A receptor." American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism 296.3 (2009): E549-E558.

Digby, Janet E., et al. "Anti-inflammatory effects of nicotinic acid in adipocytes demonstrated by suppression of fractalkine, RANTES, and MCP-1 and upregulation of adiponectin." Atherosclerosis 209.1 (2010): 89-95.

Lukasova, Martina, et al. "Nicotinic acid inhibits progression of atherosclerosis in mice through its receptor GPR109A expressed by immune cells." The Journal of clinical investigation 121.3 (2011): 1163-1173.

Digby, Janet E., et al. "Anti-inflammatory effects of nicotinic acid in human monocytes are mediated by GPR109A dependent mechanisms."Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 32.3 (2012): 669-676.

Sia, Yanhong, et al. "Niacin inhibits vascular inflammation via down-regulating nuclear transcription factor-κB signaling pathway." (2014)

The last study found lowered expression of proinflammatory regulator NF-κB and notch1 (which has more complicated effects, some anti-inflammatory). As these are also known to be downregulated by sirtuin activity, this contribution may be common to all the effective NAD+ precursors:

Yeung, Fan, et al. "Modulation of NF‐κB‐dependent transcription and cell survival by the SIRT1 deacetylase." The EMBO journal 23.12 (2004): 2369-2380.

Guarani, Virginia, et al. "Acetylation-dependent regulation of endothelial Notch signalling by the SIRT1 deacetylase." Nature 473.7346 (2011): 234-238.

As an aside, there are over 1000 known NF-κB inhibitors, many of which probably act through upstream activation of Nrf2. These include the known flavonoid CD38 inhibitors (another potential part of a NAD+ directed supplement/diet routine) and many of the previously mentioned compounds in this thread.

Thank you for this info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users