• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Quotes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Medical Time Travel

• 126 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:39 AM

Dear Community I have attached quotes I have collected for the last year.

1. Hymanityplus Quotes
2. Erroneous Predictions Concerning Technological Development

Attached Files

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

Hello, I used to collect quotes like this too. I would take notes, and I would take quotes, from books I was reading. I have like 10 note books of them. I used to be quiet proud of them but now I dont even know where they are. I still keep them on boards I have around my house though. The most recent one I wrote down is out of Kennedys book Strategies of Peace, its a quote he quoted,

"The true discovery of America is before us-the true fulfillment of our mighty and immortal land is yet to come." Thomas Wolfe

Reminds me of this quote you quoted, "There is no reason why we can’t live forever, and there is no reason why we shouldn’t."
Dr. William A. Haseltine

Who is this Haseltine? We have a VIP Outreach team. Can you add him and others you might suggest to the list of people to consider to contact?

Here is another quote topic that comes to mind. Maybe you could help add some intersting ones there?

Heres another, really active one.

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:52 AM

Wow, they are both good but that second one is awesome. I often have need for a resource of quotes like that. Ive been using this one: http://www.interesti...0/msg00038.html

but Ive been looking for a longer one, with even better examples. Would you be interested in arranging some things with these things, quotes and "they said it couldnt be done's" in the imminst.org/wiki ?

Do you have any quotes like these from the future?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Medical Time Travel

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

I would like to contribute with making the quotes available to a wider audience in the imminst.org/wiki ordinary wikipedia, wikiquotes and other forums.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:57 AM

If you join as a member then part of the benefits is that you get access to be able to edit the wiki. Can you join as a member and then try it out? If you do and manage the page then let me know and Ill add you as the manager of the imminst wiki quotes section, and enter you in the monthly volunteer prize drawings for it. We would want to set up some criteria for things that would be in theme with the cause though. Shouldnt be too hard, it looks like they all pretty much are already. The best part about joining the volunteer list though is that you help inspire more volunteers to come on board, and thats priceless, our numbers are slow but steady growing toward those numbers that continue to take us where we need to go, to the goal of unlimited lifespans for all.

#6 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

On the http://objectivismonline.net/ forums they have a huge list of quotes that they randomly select to display above the forum on the main page. It's pretty cool.

#7 Medical Time Travel

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

If you join as a member then part of the benefits is that you get access to be able to edit the wiki. Can you join as a member and then try it out? If you do and manage the page then let me know and Ill add you as the manager of the imminst wiki quotes section, and enter you in the monthly volunteer prize drawings for it. We would want to set up some criteria for things that would be in theme with the cause though. Shouldnt be too hard, it looks like they all pretty much are already. The best part about joining the volunteer list though is that you help inspire more volunteers to come on board, and thats priceless, our numbers are slow but steady growing toward those numbers that continue to take us where we need to go, to the goal of unlimited lifespans for all.

Thanks to you. I recently joined as a one year member (student). I will try to spend enough time to contribute with with building my profile and what I can in the forums.

#8 Medical Time Travel

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:52 PM

Reminds me of this quote you quoted, "There is no reason why we can’t live forever, and there is no reason why we shouldn’t."
Dr. William A. Haseltine

Who is this Haseltine? We have a VIP Outreach team. Can you add him and others you might suggest to the list of people to consider to contact?

Since you like the quotes by Haseltine which I do too. One of he's quotes is the best I've heard on the subject of immortality. You should read the following book where there's an detailed account on this person. The book below is the most entertaining an beautiful book I've read.

Rapture How Biotech Became The New Religion A Raucous Tour Of Cloning, Transhumanism, And The New Era Of Immortality, Brian Alexander, Basic Books, ISBN 0-7382-0761-6, 289 p.

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

Nice, thanks for joining. If you want, recommend that book in our bookclub section. We've been trying to fire that up too, looking for somebody to stay on top of it, recommend books, and do a few other things in there on monthly schedule. If somebody reviewed books like these as they came in then we could keep adding them to our recommended section at imminst.org/store.

Our wiki there at imminst.org/wiki needs some organizational work, but its still relatively new. Its still looking to gather a critical threshold of interest and content. In other words, I think that if you start adding and upkeeping some more good content that we will soon find somebody to stay on top of keeping the wiki organized, indexed and managed.

You could then start a topic asking for people to submit more quotes for these different catagories and then review them and add them as you go. That would be great if we could motivate more people to go out and actively try to extract quotes like these from the world of literature. Ide like to see more recent examples for instance. Like maybe, Scientist and Senator so and so said that gene splicing or cloning or understanding of the boson or a national institute of aging or something like that was impossible.

#10 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

"The great French Marshall Lyautey once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow growing and would not reach maturity for 100 years. The Marshall replied, “In that case, there is no time to lose; plant it this afternoon!" John F. Kennedy

#11 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

On the http://objectivismonline.net/ forums they have a huge list of quotes that they randomly select to display above the forum on the main page. It's pretty cool.

The reason I mentioned this is because this is something we should do here!

#12 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Hmm, that sounds like it could be a good idea. Can you post that in the forum suggestions section in the action section?

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:01 AM

"We must never forget we are cosmic revolutionaries, not stooges conscripted to advance a natural order that kills everybody." Al Harrington

#14 Medical Time Travel

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

I have collected quotes for the two last years.

Attached Files

• like x 1

#15 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Funny stuff in the technology quotes....would be even funnier if you included quotes where people overestimated the technology available in the near future.

#16 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Funny stuff in the technology quotes....would be even funnier if you included quotes where people overestimated the technology available in the near future.

Isnt that the exact opposite of what these quotes are about?

#17 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

A peice of advice from W. Somerset Maugham: "Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatsoever to do with it."

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

"Your vision is larger than our appetite." - A director of the NIH when asked about investing in life extension more strategically.

#19 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

I quote part of this often. I find a lot of power in this.

"You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc."

#20 carlcrott

• 30 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

"Your vision is larger than our appetite." - A director of the NIH when asked about investing in life extension more strategically.

this is a F****** joke right?

WTF?

NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON ... what again?

anything with government involved cant get their shit together
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

Here is a good quote Ive been reading lately:

"All noble thins are as difficult as they are rare."- Spinoza If you had to pick one it seems that quote sums up much of what Spinoza figured out.

Carl-

They are doing great, just at a much slower rate. Thing is of course that our deaths are utter calamities to us and slower rate doesnt cut it. Its kind of like an f'ing joke that they dont understand that, but more accurately I guess I would say its that science when left to its own devices does science, which is great, but to do indefinite life extension they need to be pushed and driven by philosophy.
We are developing a short intro along those lines here: http://www.imminst.o...life-extension/

#22 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

"The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees."
— Erwin Schrodinger

#23 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:19 AM

“Often the difference between a successful person and a failure is not one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one's ideas, to take a calculated risk - and to act.”
Andre Malraux quotes

#24 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

This was in great book about the Vikings. I would love to see a collection of these kinds of sentiments from different time periods. We dont want it to slip away. As we know, slipping away has been a very real phenomenon countless amounts of times. Every one of them like the closing of a dimension, the shattering of a world, the obliteration of a universe. What dimension might we consider discardable? What universe might we say its alright to wipe off the map? We would never blow up the earth for sport, or whim, and this is part of the mentality behind indefinite life extension.

"What has become of the steed?

What has become of the warrior?

What has become of the seats of banquet?

Where are the joys of the hall?

O for the bright cup!

O for the mailclad warrior!

O for the glory of the prince!

How that time has passed away

And grown dark under the cover of night,

As if it had never been."

From 'The Wanderer'

#25 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

I intend to live forever. So far, so good. -Stephen Wright
  • like x 1

#26 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Bioscience, Health & Nutrition -> Bioscience" to "Community -> LongeCity -> Articles & Creative".

#27 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here.
— Alan Watts

#28 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

OZYMANDIAS
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away. - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Silly Ozy :laugh:

#29 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

"Why do men feel they can justify death? Is it arrogance or...?" - the Patriot

Why do people think that they can justify death? I like this angle on a familiar question. They think they can justify it. Why? Where does that lack of humility with in them come from? How do them allow themselves to think that they can decide definitively that death is alright?

Of course, I think many of us know these answers, but I like the angle, the frame of reference on the concept.

#30 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

A favourite of mine though I know not of its origins is "youth is wasted on the young."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users