• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Singularity Summit 2009 Videos Available!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brain Mystery 2010

• 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

The videos from "Singularity Summit 2009" are now available at:

View on Vimeo.

(first page out of 3)

By the way, does someone here know something about the movie "The Singularity Is Near"?

Didn't they say that it will be ready till the end of this year?

I'm really waiting for it :-D

Edited by Brain Mystery 2010, 17 December 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#2 Brain Mystery 2010

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Very strange, at the beginning of his talk Ray Kurzweil says that computers today still can't tell the difference between a cat and a dog.

But in the "Singularity Summit 2006" he said that they can!

"Computers can now tell the difference between a cat and a dog. We are going to be adding a feature to this product so that a blind person could snap a picture and it will tell them, there’s a cat in front of you, there’s a lamp to your left. Your ex-wife is over to your right. We are in fact adding face recognition.

Why is it that we can tell the difference between a cat and a dog now with a computer that we could not do that seven years ago? Two things: pattern recognition algorithms have gotten steadily more sophisticated, and we also have this tremendous data mining that we didn’t have seven years ago. You need a lot of data to train these pattern-recognition algorithms. If you want a million pictures of cats and dogs, you know exactly where to get them. There are in fact three million pictures of dogs on Google. It’s a nice game to try to guess how many pictures of different things are up there. (There are more pictures of cats - 3.6 million.) You can train these algorithms. You would be hard pressed to find a thousand pictures of cats and dogs seven years ago"

http://www.accelerat...le-blog/?p=1254

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 SIN

• 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:22 AM

Very strange, at the beginning of his talk Ray Kurzweil says that computers today still can't tell the difference between a cat and a dog.

But in the "Singularity Summit 2006" he said that they can!

"Computers can now tell the difference between a cat and a dog. We are going to be adding a feature to this product so that a blind person could snap a picture and it will tell them, there’s a cat in front of you, there’s a lamp to your left. Your ex-wife is over to your right. We are in fact adding face recognition.

Why is it that we can tell the difference between a cat and a dog now with a computer that we could not do that seven years ago? Two things: pattern recognition algorithms have gotten steadily more sophisticated, and we also have this tremendous data mining that we didn’t have seven years ago. You need a lot of data to train these pattern-recognition algorithms. If you want a million pictures of cats and dogs, you know exactly where to get them. There are in fact three million pictures of dogs on Google. It’s a nice game to try to guess how many pictures of different things are up there. (There are more pictures of cats - 3.6 million.) You can train these algorithms. You would be hard pressed to find a thousand pictures of cats and dogs seven years ago"

http://www.accelerat...le-blog/?p=1254

You miss heard him, he said that he is tired of hearing people say that computers cant tell the difference between a cat and a dog,they now can, but people still have stuck to this saying.

#4 Brain Mystery 20I0

• 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

You miss heard him, he said that he is tired of hearing people say that computers cant tell the difference between a cat and a dog,they now can, but people still have stuck to this saying.

Listen again to his talk, right at the beginning, between seconds 0:32 and 0:52 -

View on Vimeo.

If I understand it right he is saying that they are still working on that, did I miss heard him?

(by the way, I had to open a new account, it looks like someone broke into my account and changed my password)

Edited by Brain Mystery 20I0, 19 December 2009 - 10:47 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#5 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

These videos are absolutely fascinating. Thank you!

I found it interesting that Aubrey de Grey said that he does not focus on himself when it comes to indefinite lifespans. This is rather remarkable to me because I'm the exact opposite. In comparison to Aubrey, I am wholly and greedily concerned with improving my chances of living for as long as I desire; my ambitions are centered around myself.

He's a lot more selfless than I am, it seems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users