• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

TGA and you

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Emiliano

• 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hello,

The latest info from the TGA, a document entitled "POISONS STANDARD 2009", dated August 3, 2009, which is a downloadable PDF, lists all the scheduled drugs. It shows Adrafinil, Modafinil, and Selegiline (deprenyl) to be Schedule 4 drugs -- ie, they requre a prescription. Attempts to import them are at your own risk.

I have recently received two packets of Modafinil that somehow passed without being checked. On trying this drug I am left wondering what the fuss is about. I tried 100, 200, and 400 mg doses, and can only say what a let-down! I think some types of coffee are stronger stimulants. I wonder if the folks at TGA have a bloody clue? Get this: Modafinil, and probably Adrafinil, are not anything like amphetamines, which is a good thing, all things considered, but these drugs don't deserve their Schedule 4 listing, IMO. Caffeine, Nicotine, etc., are far more stimulating than these drugs.

My take on all this is just how completely fucked up our regulatory regime is. As always, follow the money trail -- some pricks are making money on this. They deserve to be taken down -- big time. I'm gonna be working on that over the summer.

Emiliano

#2 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hello,

The latest info from the TGA, a document entitled "POISONS STANDARD 2009", dated August 3, 2009, which is a downloadable PDF, lists all the scheduled drugs. It shows Adrafinil, Modafinil, and Selegiline (deprenyl) to be Schedule 4 drugs -- ie, they requre a prescription. Attempts to import them are at your own risk.

I have recently received two packets of Modafinil that somehow passed without being checked. On trying this drug I am left wondering what the fuss is about. I tried 100, 200, and 400 mg doses, and can only say what a let-down! I think some types of coffee are stronger stimulants. I wonder if the folks at TGA have a bloody clue? Get this: Modafinil, and probably Adrafinil, are not anything like amphetamines, which is a good thing, all things considered, but these drugs don't deserve their Schedule 4 listing, IMO. Caffeine, Nicotine, etc., are far more stimulating than these drugs.

My take on all this is just how completely fucked up our regulatory regime is. As always, follow the money trail -- some pricks are making money on this. They deserve to be taken down -- big time. I'm gonna be working on that over the summer.

Emiliano

Substances are scheduled so that pharma companies can make $$$. It has nothing to do with safety at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users