• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria

1. Yes (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. No (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote

#1 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

Eight non-dairy bacterial cultures containing Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria (2.5 billion per serving) in a special base of fructo-oligosaccharides (F.O.S.).
These beneficial lactobacilli restore the balance of microflora necessary for a healthy gastro-intestinal tract.

Edited by M4Y0U, 21 January 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Sebastian

• 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Absolutely!

Probiotics seem to be greatly under-recommended here. They are especially crucial while/after taking antibiotics (if you *must*).

#3 shazam

• 197 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

I dunno. This is one of those things that I'd just buy seperately. Still undecided as it's a good thing to have but good god it will up the price if you make it stable.

I think the point of this multi is to make a QUALITY, no frills multi (basic nutrients vitamins and minerals in optimal forms) to add to your regimen, hopefully at a price that isn't gouging. Not to be a whole regimen in a pill.

#4 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

Be careful of the stability of probiotics. They are sensitive to temperature and moisture. Some raw materials and capsules claim to be stable, but the stability studies supporting their shelf life were done under ideal conditions that don't match real life for probiotics. Some companies are coming out with special moisture resistant aluminum bottles with a built in dessicant cartridge in their caps to truly guarantee potency but the raw material storage and encapsulation have to done at controlled low humidity.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

b and l bacterium are beneficial but not essential and therefor not suitable for inclusion within this product. not every strain of bacteria will be suitable for every person, it is possible to cause bacterial overgrowth in people who already have large populations of b and l bacterium.

also, no more polls should me made. all questions and suggestions should be pm`d to myself or mind and we will bring it up to the deciding panel.

Eight non-dairy bacterial cultures containing Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria (2.5 billion per serving) in a special base of fructo-oligosaccharides (F.O.S.).
These beneficial lactobacilli restore the balance of microflora necessary for a healthy gastro-intestinal tract.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

i should correct myself in that certain ingredients were chose that are not essential, namely lycopene & lutien...but those are very much a part of a LE style diet and have clearly defined benefits in humans, across different populations. eg there arent hundreds of types of lutein that effect different people differently as there are with lactobacilli.

finding a probiotics that sits well with you often takes a lot of trial and error as far as finding specific strains, formulations & doses. for example, i've tried nearly all the well studied probiotics and found very few that sit well with me, and only one that i can take on a daily basis if i choose to. these seems to been the case with most people as is echoed across the forum.

as such, including probiotics in the multi wouldnt be a good thing because it would exclude too large a percent of the population.

#7 Ned Ludd

• 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

There's no way probiotics should be included in a multi unless it's a really cheap job. Probiotics are a complicated business. The methods of culturation and extraction range from floor-sweeping grade to gold dust. The selection of strains to use requires careful consideration. Most manufacturers just throw together a bag of cheap crap that don't do anything. They know the subject is beyond the understanding of any consumers and pretty well all health professionals. Also, commercial marketing interests hype and push whatever rubbish they make and so suck up all the intellignet oxygen.

You can make absolutely outstanding and efficacious probiotics and some companies excell at this just like any other area of the natural health business. But such ingredients are not compatible in the context of a multi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users