• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

economics nearing the singularity

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

EXTRACTION CITING BOUNDLESSLIFE: ...the limitations of remaining in a purely traditional biological form will eventually become so apparent to the biopopulation that few are likely to want to remain bound to them.

As an example, cryonicists wed to the idea that identity can only be conserved by repair of every last neuron "frozen" (pardon me, "vitrified") so that it resumes its functionality with exactly the same bioresponsivity to input stimuli... END OF EXTRACTION.

Pressure to give up being bound to the biological form doesn't warrant the capability to get into the emerging cyberculture. Slums means slums - not enough healthy food and not many Internet terminals. The problem requires advanced macroeconomic measures unless there are bio-laptops that can be turned into food by simply adding water to their hardware, suitable for an unexpected event like the actual earthquake in Chile.

Edited by robomoon, 28 February 2010 - 03:09 PM.

#32 boundlesslife

• Life Member in cryostasis
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Pressure to give up being bound to the biological form doesn't warrant the capability to get into the emerging cyberculture. Slums means slums - not enough healthy food and not many Internet terminals. The problem requires advanced macroeconomic measures unless there are bio-laptops that can be turned into food by simply adding water to their hardware, suitable for an unexpected event like the actual earthquake in Chile.

All true! Even if a heaven were to emerge from a hell, which is not guaranteed, neither would it be guaranteed that hell would not remain, nor that many would choose to stay there, passing from birth to oblivion in the usual way that has held sway ever since the first self-replicating molecules began to compete with each other to see which of them would endure to continue to evolve after the earlier ones were vanquished. Thanks for the realism, robomoon.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

So far, the idea to handle the financial shortages of unemployed and technologically unblessed bio-beings was followed by a critique based on realism. Yesterday, my wife and I heard sirens, we looked out of the window, and saw a fire spreading in the building opposite to our block. Information technology to bring the firefighters that saved the building were mobile phones and sirens. Information technology to plan the rescue and to handle the great amount of money that saved the day were computers with millions of tiny transistors on a chip. And the information technology for our will to fill more blocks with people who don't disturb the day, even when their own flat burns like hellfire, are human brains.

The planning that various brains are filled with enough glucose were only one part in macroeconomics. Sugar and carbohydrates in the apple where worth it and now Adam knows how to sell Vitamin C. Yet, after an insight into the evil necessity of global food consumption we are moving up to the heaven of real estate planning for tall bank buildings. Thanks BOUNDLESSLIFE for your message with the article on Terasem and their new real estate published in the Addison County Independent. Yet, I think, for $525,000, it mustn't be that tall. So, MODELCADET, how tall should the real estate of your Bank become at best? Very tall, very remote, or are you hiding a couple of small supercomputers in the closet?

#34 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

So far, the idea to handle the financial shortages of unemployed and technologically unblessed bio-beings was followed by a critique based on realism. Yesterday, my wife and I heard sirens, we looked out of the window, and saw a fire spreading in the building opposite to our block. Information technology to bring the firefighters that saved the building were mobile phones and sirens. Information technology to plan the rescue and to handle the great amount of money that saved the day were computers with millions of tiny transistors on a chip. And the information technology for our will to fill more blocks with people who don't disturb the day, even when their own flat burns like hellfire, are human brains.

The planning that various brains are filled with enough glucose were only one part in macroeconomics. Sugar and carbohydrates in the apple where worth it and now Adam knows how to sell Vitamin C. Yet, after an insight into the evil necessity of global food consumption we are moving up to the heaven of real estate planning for tall bank buildings. Thanks BOUNDLESSLIFE for your message with the article on Terasem and their new real estate published in the Addison County Independent. Yet, I think, for $525,000, it mustn't be that tall. So, MODELCADET, how tall should the real estate of your Bank become at best? Very tall, very remote, or are you hiding a couple of small supercomputers in the closet?

Brainery is digital enterprise. Unfortunately, for now, the only supercomputer I own is hiding in my skull. If eventually, as a NPO, Brainery is able to grow to achieve it's major goal, it'd have to have an office space. So lemme say... 2 stories? I don't really care much about real estate: Manifest destiny no longer follows Euclidean parameters.

#35 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Forcing people to do some sort of job, for the sake of working, is just not acceptable. IF someone wants to be totally unproductive, this should be their right if we've the automated technology to enable this for the masses. It should not be the privilege of the rich and powerful to have the ability to relax and enjoy a virtually perpetual vacation whenever they feel like it.

Are you saying that the rich and powerful should be forced to do some sort of job, for the sake of working? Why should they not be allowed to have a perpetual vacation if they can afford to pay for it? (Assuming they pay for any and all harm their behavior causes.)

#36 Cameron

• 167 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:02 AM

Forcing people to do some sort of job, for the sake of working, is just not acceptable. IF someone wants to be totally unproductive, this should be their right if we've the automated technology to enable this for the masses. It should not be the privilege of the rich and powerful to have the ability to relax and enjoy a virtually perpetual vacation whenever they feel like it.

Are you saying that the rich and powerful should be forced to do some sort of job, for the sake of working? Why should they not be allowed to have a perpetual vacation if they can afford to pay for it? (Assuming they pay for any and all harm their behavior causes.)

On the contrary, what I'm saying is it shouldn't be a privilege exclusive to the rich and powerful. Honestly once an easily replicating slave ai workforce is created why should anyone have to work? There's just no reason, as far as I can see, work should only be optional, if people enjoy a particular line of work they do it for fun, when they please, not as a requirement for survival.

#37 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Brainery is digital enterprise. Unfortunately, for now, the only supercomputer I own is hiding in my skull. If eventually, as a NPO, Brainery is able to grow to achieve it's major goal, it'd have to have an office space. So lemme say... 2 stories? I don't really care much about real estate: Manifest destiny no longer follows Euclidean parameters.

In modern economy, processing speed of a great supercomputer raises the demand for equivalent speed in personal computers. Thus, there happened a decline of sizes in integrated circuits for many personal computers sold to a great number of consumers. In biology, the decline of sizes in supercomputer brains occurs to be insignificant. Thus, the intelligence of greater brains cannot be sufficiently adapted by smaller brains. There's not much miniaturization possible. So we see more intelligent and less intelligent brains fairly equal in size and glucose cravings.

Regarding the power of brains in general, they take glucose from food. Worldwide food consumption has been chosen for the measurement of all the brain power available. The first investments into an advanced usage of brain power are initially made by parents for their children. They also pay on behalf of food supply and shelter to their children. Later, there are investments into procedures of governmental accreditation to rate the performance of Colleges and Universities. Nevertheless, these entities of education also made investments into real estate to shelter their students.

Not only the providers of higher education require real estate. Even in a Webized Economy, the freshman of higher intelligence in information technology doesn't want to study under a tree meditating like Buddha until the fruit of enlightenment falls from above. Thus, food and housing remain the initial investments that should be valued by accreditation. But how far, when, and why?

One new idea to describe education that remains being bound to euclidean parameters down to the nanometer should be the Machant Theorem. The name Machant derived from the words machine and ant. The Machant represents a product of the first argument for nanotech deriving from the least intelligent brain available. Its educational entity deserves low accreditation. There are more arguments like molecular manufacturing, nanoparticles, optical microchips, etc., deriving from an intellect for higher accreditation.

The Machant Theorem supports robots as small as ants building a permanently habitable tree house. Would the robots be smaller, they had to require microscopes for observation - not for beginners in biology who need inexpensive equipment. Would the robots be bigger, the beginner in physics and engineering had no starting point to build a relationship to nanotech and microscopically small machines. When the student, laptop on the knees, is taking a yoga seat in the tree house, manufactured by Machants, we call it a course at Space College. It's little space, but it has to be accredited for generations of parents and children to come.

Edited by robomoon, 03 March 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#38 Pseudolus

• 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

I think a change in human nature will occur as the Singularity and Methuselarity approach. This will totally change how we value things. The economy is all about valuing things.

One possibile scenario:

We already have computers and neurons interfacing together. If memory storage / processing and AI continue to advance and are integratable, then one day our consciousness may open up our new "computer room" in our head. It may be like walking through a door. We can program our new "room" to follow the rules of logic and maybe temporarily suspend these rules when making leaps of creativity or abstractedness.

Having a new chip in our heads may be like raising a child. We can relearn looking at the world as it really is. We can relearn better associations using better rules. We can avoid these crazy mental constructs we all seem to carry in varying degrees. Our directed consciousness may be able to switch between organic and silicon worlds and eventually see them as being seemless. Raising this new self with simple rules of logic/reasoning will eliminate so much that is irrational about our species. Imagine the possibilities when greed and fear are subdued.

Maybe the rich will be the first ones through that door. Maybe they will be the first cyborgs. Maybe they will be the first to see how irrational, selfish and greedy they have been.

Hey, I am a recovering Mormon. I've had my fill of crazy. I look forward to the day I can have such an implant and I can see how truly crazy I was/am.

But what the hell do I know.

#39 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

I see productivity growth in Q4 2009 in the U.S. was a whopping 6.9%. I smell more technological unemployment in the near future.

#40 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:09 AM

I see productivity growth in Q4 2009 in the U.S. was a whopping 6.9%. I smell more technological unemployment in the near future.

That's big. Annualized, I'd guess. Is it real, or is it just the few remaining people with jobs doing more work?

#41 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

I think a change in human nature will occur as the Singularity and Methuselarity approach. This will totally change how we value things. The economy is all about valuing things.

Wow Pseudolus, that is a great first post! Thanks. Oh, and welcome to ImmInst!

#42 Pseudolus

• 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

Wow Pseudolus, that is a great first post! Thanks. Oh, and welcome to ImmInst!

Thanks Niner. Been lurking for awhile. I am a network admin for a large school district. I am also a high tech tinkerer. I built and programmed my own computer controlled laser machining center. It is basically a computer controlled stepper motors moving a 25 watt CO2 laser. It cut/marks/engraves beautifully on wood, corian, glass, etc. I am not doing anything commercial with it, but I do have the coolest inlaid countertops in town. I mentiion that only as I am very interested in tech and tech developments and I am brave/stupid enough to jump head first into new things. I can't imagine anything more exciting or rewarding than the Methuselarity/Singularity.

Back to the topic: Unless we humans are merged/modified in some way, I really do believe we will be left in the dust. Consciousness MUST SHORTLY ABANDON IRRATIONALITY. Information, proper formation of percepts and their associations must lead to abandoning our silly or damaging mental constructs. We must begin to see things as they really are, but more importantly, NOT SEEING things that really aren't there.

I think it will be interesting when AI arrives, when machines are 10X smarter than us. What will the religious say, when the machines don't subscribe to their silliness? They don't have souls?? How do you look at something/one that is way smarter, faster, better looking, etc and consider yourself superior? It is interesting to see that we NOW have the tech to scrape skin cells and turn them into eggs/sperm. Lesbian could shortly be able to have children together. It would be the FIRST child w/o a father. Does she have a soul? Could she be baptised? What about the person with genetic modifications. 99% human. Do they have a soul? How about 90% human, 10% synthetic? 99%male 1% female? The permutations are delicious in exposing their silliness.

We are at the greatest crossroads mankind has ever seen. We are contemplating questions that were unthinkable a few years ago. My former CULT says that THEIR prophets are always there to guide humanity-- especiallly at great inflection points like the first man, the flood, the Exodus, repopulating America with people and animals, etc. Well, here we are. BIG INFLECTION POINT HERE. If EVER there was a need for a supposed "prophet", this is it. The genie is out of the bottle. We have walked through the door. We can/are beginning to rewrite and replace the creations of "god's" 7 day creative period. God, is it OK if we replace/rewrite all your plants and animals?

The web is taking a heavy toll on Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientologists, Muslims etc. Especially in the high control groups. ESPECIALLY in first world nations. I have been to their recovery sites. the stories are so similar. The cultic mind manipulation techniques are so similar. Cult leaders are scared.

So studying mind control techniques is another hobby of mine. It is interesting to see how IRRATIONALITY, and practicing turning off the mind is a required feature of my former religion. It's how they cover their asses when things just don't make sense to their "customer". I also see how the need for emotional attachments, belonging, etc can blind people politically as well. ALL political parties have their silly constructs that make perfect sense, if you are within their cult or sphere of manipulation. To those outside, the construct appears ludicrous. Goes for ALL parties, I think.

I am just saying that I think the days of irrationality are numbered, or it's sphere of influence is on the decline. There is a line between here and now connected to a more rational world, where perceptions/associations are grounded in simple rules of logic. Consciousness WILL find this rational place. This rational place is free from the irrational fears/constructs we now suffer from. This rational place will RADICALLY change how and what we value. Changing what we value directly affects how our economy runs. It will be a RADICAL change affecting how we see ownership, profits, authenticity, etc. I hope mankind can be included in this transition. It will be both a sad and joyous realization/awakening.

#43 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

So studying mind control techniques is another hobby of mine. It is interesting to see how IRRATIONALITY, and practicing turning off the mind is a required feature of my former religion. It's how they cover their asses when things just don't make sense to their "customer". I also see how the need for emotional attachments, belonging, etc can blind people politically as well. ALL political parties have their silly constructs that make perfect sense, if you are within their cult or sphere of manipulation. To those outside, the construct appears ludicrous. Goes for ALL parties, I think.

I am just saying that I think the days of irrationality are numbered, or it's sphere of influence is on the decline. There is a line between here and now connected to a more rational world, where perceptions/associations are grounded in simple rules of logic. Consciousness WILL find this rational place. This rational place is free from the irrational fears/constructs we now suffer from. This rational place will RADICALLY change how and what we value. Changing what we value directly affects how our economy runs. It will be a RADICAL change affecting how we see ownership, profits, authenticity, etc. I hope mankind can be included in this transition. It will be both a sad and joyous realization/awakening.

Amen, brother! Let's keep hoping and working towards the day when one of the biggest enemies of manking, religion and other irrational belief systems, are destroyed. Indeed, that will only happen once humans transcend their nature and merge with machines.

Edited by forever freedom, 05 March 2010 - 04:31 PM.

#44 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Niner. Been lurking for awhile. I am a network admin for a large school district. I am also a high tech tinkerer. I built and programmed my own computer controlled laser machining center. It is basically a computer controlled stepper motors moving a 25 watt CO2 laser. It cut/marks/engraves beautifully on wood, corian, glass, etc. I am not doing anything commercial with it, but I do have the coolest inlaid countertops in town. I mentiion that only as I am very interested in tech and tech developments and I am brave/stupid enough to jump head first into new things. I can't imagine anything more exciting or rewarding than the Methuselarity/Singularity.

Are your schools folding? If you aren't already, you definitely have to get permission first, but we at ImmInst can help with that process. Using the school's computers for science when they aren't in use by the students is a great way to educate students while providing a valuable untapped resource to the scientific community, with no wear on the computers, no productivity loss when computers are in use, but merely some additional electricity (if you run the computers 24 hours). Though I'd ask first if the schools are willing to pay this cost as a wonderful opportunity to educate children, perhaps ImmInst can help raise some funds until a more permanent legislative solution can be accomplished.
If you think you're brave/stupid, perhaps you should get into body hacking. Have you heard of Quinn Norton? She writes for Wired, and she's really into this stuff called Functional Body Modification. Included in this class of devices is the circumcision and the clit piercing, but Quinn instead put a magnet in her finger. When it healed up, it felt strange at first: This thing, moving underneath her skin, pulled here and there in magnetic fields. After a while, she reports mapping in her malleable brain the data of this cybernetic technology as a precisely extrasensory experience. Ignoring the kinesthetic and vestibular senses and counting the olfactory sense twice as both taste and smell, Quinn Norton quite literally built herself a "sixth sense."

Back to the topic: Unless we humans are merged/modified in some way, I really do believe we will be left in the dust. Consciousness MUST SHORTLY ABANDON IRRATIONALITY. Information, proper formation of percepts and their associations must lead to abandoning our silly or damaging mental constructs. We must begin to see things as they really are, but more importantly, NOT SEEING things that really aren't there.

Rationality is a dangerous concept. You don't want to end up an irrationally rational (for example, the Cold War). First recognize that the consciousness of any system is unique and unknowable to any other; this is the existential void. Your utility function must change over time, influenced by the choices of a system and the hard reality of the Man, holding that system down. When you construct goals to apply your sacred calf rationality, you too are manipulated by the language meme. Do not abandon your skills in rationality, but recognize their limits.
It is my irrational hope that no one will be left in the dust. Time requires change. Change is the essence of both life and death. We must secure a system of evolution that allows heredity and variation, but replaces selection with something softer. Unless you know of a way of creating infinite resources (and I'm not referring to the Drexler machine... that's not good enough), or know some nifty game theoretics that probably could never exist (though... Ben Goertzel does make a compelling argument), I'm pretty sure we're all going to die.

I think it will be interesting when AI arrives, when machines are 10X smarter than us. What will the religious say, when the machines don't subscribe to their silliness? They don't have souls?? How do you look at something/one that is way smarter, faster, better looking, etc and consider yourself superior? It is interesting to see that we NOW have the tech to scrape skin cells and turn them into eggs/sperm. Lesbian could shortly be able to have children together. It would be the FIRST child w/o a father. Does she have a soul? Could she be baptised? What about the person with genetic modifications. 99% human. Do they have a soul? How about 90% human, 10% synthetic? 99%male 1% female? The permutations are delicious in exposing their silliness.

I'm working with a group of transhumanists exploring religion. I believe there are some valuable things Geeks can learn from Jesus Freaks. The community, the stories, even the ritual, may be appealing to those of great intellect.

#45 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Here's a new talk from Robin Hanson at Foresight 2010: Economics of Nanotech and AI.

Robin Hanson: "Economics of Nanotech and AI" at Foresight 2010 Conference from Foresight Institute on Vimeo.

#46 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

Here's a new talk from Robin Hanson at Foresight 2010: Economics of Nanotech and AI.
Robin Hanson: "Economics of Nanotech and AI" at Foresight 2010 Conference from Foresight Institute on Vimeo.

Growth rate transitions explained in Economics of Nanotech and AI are: HUNTING, FARMING, and INDUSTRY. For HUNTING and FARMING, the connection to food is easy to realize. For the term INDUSTRY, the connection to food should be notable too. So before the powerful farming machines, automated production of nutrients, fast transportation of food, etc. came into broader use, the modern industry wasn't the cause for a notable transition.

Longer life, better health, more entertainment, humans received these blessings very much from sufficiently available and better food. Anyone of the smart can create as much hype about life extension as their readers, viewers, and listeners want. Whatever economy, but without the proper food and real estate, men will go back to the cages with probably 4 decades on average to survive.

Of cause, computers make a difference. Yet, more often than not it's something else but mature personal computers with single-core processors hooked up to a distributed computing network to learn what makes the big question about an energy crisis go away. So the supercomputers will remain, especially those with less demand for electricity.

Edited by robomoon, 08 March 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#47 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

Here's another video from the same conference on the same subject, by David Friedman:

David Friedman: "Economics of Nanotech and AI" at Foresight 2010 Conference from Foresight Institute on Vimeo.

David Friedman is right that nanotechnology will display the properties of other information technologies. I find the dongle concept interesting. It clearly won't work for nanotechnology, in the same manner as it has not worked for software: While CD keys and even hardware requirements may prevent piracy, eventually hackers will edit such security features out of the instructionals. For instance, with the nanotech car, the principal designer may protect his intellectual property for as long as it takes another designer to remove the personalized security features (building from a hacked rather than the original design). The dongle concept takes advantage of Clarke's Law, that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. When modularization of technology allows use of emergent features of a product without understanding all the contributing processes in a tool, opportunity to hide security behind this wall exists, but only for so long as somebody isn't able to, metaphorically, look under the hood.

Advertising, be it for profit or by patronage, will also face the remixability of information technology, as plug-ins like Firefox's ad blocker will extend into nanofabricators.

Open source is the long-term market structure. It is my hope that with the wealth nanoassemblers will provide, we will be able to let go of old conceptions of property and truly embrace free culture.

With respect to AI, only the first scenario, where we consider AIs merely tools without rights (though, perhaps, recognizing their consciousness), is the only plausible scenario. My work centers on ensuring this over alternative architectures.

Edited by modelcadet, 10 March 2010 - 12:10 AM.

#48 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

Here's another video ... (CUT CITATION)

Even with improvements in microrobotics and nanotech, two architectural structures of the legal system don't change so quickly. COURT and JAIL represent two great structures in justice. The destination after a legal case of aggravated crime might not only be bank accounts where penalty charges are getting withdrawn. Here comes the concept of Artificial Unintelligence (AU) where my prayer is needed: Oh holy nanospirit, prevent us from JAIL@HOME, the molecular assemblers of cross-barred flats for convicted hackers.

Will there be court and jail for cybercrime of cybernauts in a virtual world? Not only poor taste in operating systems, but also limited ideas about the concept of a monopoly over computer technologies will dominate the people. The missing ability to choose among branded products from competing suppliers will also be the reason why pirated software and related activities of crime must be considered. Is justice becoming so digitalized that convicts suffer over their cybernetic avatars behind bars? And again, my AU prayer: Oh holy cyberspirit, prevent us from doing any wicked crime, however virtual it might be.

Edited by robomoon, 11 March 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#49 boundlesslife

• Life Member in cryostasis
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

One possibile scenario:

We already have computers and neurons interfacing together. If memory storage / processing and AI continue to advance and are integratable, then one day our consciousness may open up our new "computer room" in our head. It may be like walking through a door. We can program our new "room" to follow the rules of logic and maybe temporarily suspend these rules when making leaps of creativity or abstractedness.

Having a new chip in our heads may be like raising a child. We can relearn looking at the world as it really is. We can relearn better associations using better rules. We can avoid these crazy mental constructs we all seem to carry in varying degrees. Our directed consciousness may be able to switch between organic and silicon worlds and eventually see them as being seemless. Raising this new self with simple rules of logic/reasoning will eliminate so much that is irrational about our species. Imagine the possibilities when greed and fear are subdued.

Maybe the rich will be the first ones through that door. Maybe they will be the first cyborgs. Maybe they will be the first to see how irrational, selfish and greedy they have been.

Hey, I am a recovering Mormon. I've had my fill of crazy. I look forward to the day I can have such an implant and I can see how truly crazy I was/am.

But what the hell do I know.

The quote about "having a new chip in our heads" brings many thoughts to mind. I makes me think of a story I wrote back in the late 1980's, Nothing's Impossible, but only for a moment. Then, this fantastic article in the Terasem Journals comes to mind, by Larry Cauller, let's see, grabbing a paragraph from the Postscript in LifeQuest...

Any attempt on our part to correct out these primeval influences may require fusion of (to again quote Lawrence J. Cauller, PhD) “the selves of both conscious entities (which become mutually transformed) into a completely new form of conscious being.” At this point it is helpful to quote more extensively from Dr. Cauller’s paper (What it Might “Feel” Like to be Connected to Devices That Will Expand or Enhance Human Function With Cyber Abilities, Journal of Personal Cyberconsciousness, V-2, N-1, 1st Qtr 2007):

There... there it is... What it Might "Feel" Like to be Connected to Devices That Will Expand or Enhance Human Function With Cyber Abilities, by Lawrence J. Cauller, Ph.D.

The introductory two paragraphs before the paper, at the link above, say this about it:

This article was adapted from a lecture given by Professor Larry Cauller, Ph.D. at the 2nd Annual Colloquium on the Law of Transbeman Persons, on December 10th, 2006 at the Space Coast Retreat of Terasem Movement, Inc., Melbourne Beach, FL.

Larry, an Associate Professor of Neuroscience at the University of Texas, shares what he calls the Neuro Interactive Paradigm to further the understanding of how the dynamics of the nervous system works toward the next stage of bio-consciousness; the immergence of fusing the biological with the artificial.

Pseudolus, I've really enjoyed both of your postings, and was starting to answer the second one, but when I saw you only had put two things in here so far and the "having a new chip in our heads" phrase hit me, I lost track of the original idea completely. I'd go on with the second one, but it's about 30 minutes past midnight now and I've got to get up and go to work in about an hour and a half, so I'll leave that for later, but Wow! What a great group of ideas you've packed into just your first two postings!

Boundless Life,

Fred Chamberlain (AKA boundlesslife)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#50 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

It is the transition period from the current perceived individual consciousness and resource scarcity to deep cooperative consciousness and abundance that will be difficult. There are some that think it can just be decreed or forced upon individuals. There will have to be a concerted effort and advanced planning to make sure there is a smooth transition (ie, minimal revolt or death) and that people who want to retain their traditional human life can do so without being harmed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users