Photo
- - - - -

N-Acetyl L-Cysteine

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

Has anyone used N-Acetyl L-Cysteine? If so what were your experiences and did you notice any effects? Also, dosages would be good.

The amino acid Cysteine is showing strong scientific evidence in the production and biosynthesis of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF). BDNF facilitates the growth of new neurons, as well as, protect existing neurons from neuronal death. BDNF protein has also shown to be particularly important for long-term memory in the hippocampus region of the brain. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) is a more stable form of the amino acid L-Cysteine and is the most effective way to boost Glutathione (an exceptional antioxidant) levels in the body. NAC is a more stable form of L-Cysteine because it has an acetyl group (CH3CO) attached. NAC has all the properties of L-Cysteine but is more water soluble and said to be more bio-available than L-Cysteine. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) provides powerful immune support and also packs a powerful anti-toxin potential. Its ability to neutralize cell and DNA damaging free radicals can help slow down what many scientists point to as a key factor in the aging process.

#2 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:56 AM

Other than excitotoxicity in excessive doses, it seems to be safe. I take 600mg every other day. Can't say I've noticed anything. Most supplements build up an effect over time.

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 04 February 2010 - 04:58 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

I read somewhere that NAC strips the mucousal lining in the digestive system...is this a valid concern?

#4 The Likud Is Behind It

• 112 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

I use it for its mild antidepressant effect for bipolar patients. The study speculated that it worked as an antioxidant by boosting glutathione. I remember reading the more likely explanation was that cysteine competed with glutamate thereby decreasing effective glutamate levels moderately.

I don't really notice anything. I just trust that it's part of my stack with a subtle effect. I recall some people deciding not to use it because there are animal studies where it causes heart problems or something similar.

Edited by bmud, 04 February 2010 - 01:20 PM.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

I read somewhere that NAC strips the mucousal lining in the digestive system...is this a valid concern?

It is for me. I start getting sores in my mouth after I take NAC for a few days.

#6 3VeRL0ng

• 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

I use it for its mild antidepressant effect for bipolar patients. The study speculated that it worked as an antioxidant by boosting glutathione. I remember reading the more likely explanation was that cysteine competed with glutamate thereby decreasing effective glutamate levels moderately.

I actually was trying it for the same reason, since that's pretty much what I heard about it's mech. of action. However, after giving it a few chances for a prolonged period of time, and not noticing ANYTHING positive out of it, I'm gonna have to go with the thumbs down. Plus it smells like ass, so that's another thumbs down.

#7 The Likud Is Behind It

• 112 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

Plus it smells like ass, so that's another thumbs down.

This is true. It is the worst smelling and tasting powder I use.

#8 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

I've tried NAC four times over the last four years. Each time I get the same result: Heart starts beating heavier and it stays that way for approximately 24 hours. Even at low doses (200 mg) I get the same effect.

It is a shame that I get this effect because just for a few hours after I take it, my extreme chronic misanthropy abates.

#9 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

Other than excitotoxicity in excessive doses, it seems to be safe. I take 600mg every other day. Can't say I've noticed anything. Most supplements build up an effect over time.

I take this back. Seems the acetyl group prevents excitotoxicity.

#10 smoothVTer

• 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

I take this back. Seems the acetyl group prevents excitotoxicity.

The only thing I've ever used NAC for is to prevent hangovers and help with recovery from the common cold; I couple with 1000mg+ of vitamin C.

#11 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

I take the Jarrow Formulas sustained-release NAC on a regular basis as it helps keep my blood glucose in the normal range.

The stuff does smell pretty funky. Make that stinky. :laugh: I've not used NAC for a hangover as I don't imbibe.

Edited by pycnogenol, 02 November 2010 - 10:43 PM.

• like x 1

#12 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:53 AM

I take 300mg every morning, with trimethylglycine to act as a methyl donor to prevent the higher levels of homo(cystine? not cysteine). I find it fairly effective at increasing mental energy over a extended period. You could miss the effect tho, more of a preventative drug. L-cysteine increase the eflux of glutamate from astrocystes, in mild amounts this could be benefical. The acetyl group increase brain penteration and may decrease glutamate eflux(hopefully), unitl the acetyl group is removed.

#13 babcock

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

Found this article on Huffington Post today: http://www.huffingto...v_b_777985.html

It's about the "Top 5" supplements to help ward off the flu, NAC is #1. They're description is as follows.

An amino acid and an antioxidant, NAC is sold as a nutritional supplement. NAC has also been used medically for the past 50 years to loosen mucus in patients with chronic bronchitis and to protect the liver in cases of poisoning with acetaminophen (Tylenol and other brands). NAC is needed for production of glutathione, the most important antioxidant produced by the cells of your body.

NAC was shown in an Italian study to help prevent symptoms of H1N1 flu in almost two-thirds of the people taking it, when compared to a placebo. (1)

In the Italian study, people received either a placebo or NAC 600 milligrams twice a day for six months. During this time, a little over a quarter of all these people developed antibodies to the H1N1 flu strain in circulation, indicating that they had become infected with the virus.

Among the people receiving the placebo, 79 percent developed symptoms of flu. Among the people taking NAC, only 25 percent developed symptoms.

In addition, the symptoms that developed were significantly milder in the group taking NAC. And there was a significant improvement in measures of immune function in the NAC group compared to the placebo group over the 6 months of the study.

NAC is one of my favorite supplements, not only for flu prevention and improving respiratory health, but for supporting the actions of medications.

When I started working on a web application that highlights drug-supplement interactions, I found that NAC has been shown to enhance effectiveness of several types of medication, including drugs used in treating high blood pressure, depression and inflammatory bowel disease.

Just thought it was some good quick research info for anyone interested.

#14 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

Whoever asked about NAC's mucolytic properties: I've noticed I have less nasal mucous when using it. I can't speak to it's stripping the intestines, but I've never had gastrointestinal distress with it.
I used to take 600mg before bed nightly. I did this for about six months. Dropped it because the mucolytic effect (which is why I was taking it) subsided, and I didn't notice any other significant effects.

#15 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

I've taken it off-and-on since circa 2001, and I've noticed that it tastes and smells like what acidic rubber would be like. Hadn't noticed any anecdotal, appreciable affects from it mentally. I'll keep an eye (or brain) out for effects like you described, though.

#16 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

In reasonable doses with a proper diet it shouldn't cause significant side effects. Though, due to the fact that it could increase homocysteine levels I'd recommend making sure you have adequate B vitamin levels (particularly B6, B12, and folic acid).

#17 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

I only use it occasionally, when I want some extra neuroprotection (drinking, pushing dopamine, etc). I've never noticed any subjective effects.

See krillin's posts in this thread for some good reasons you may want to avoid it.

#18 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

I live in Mexico City, with greatly improved but frequently mediocre air quality. I am sensitive to air pollution. My health as very poor when I lived in Houston and LA 15-25 years ago. I had all kinds of lung issues (mainly chronic bronchitis) when I lived in Asia 15 years ago. I've had almost no respiratory symptoms here (Mexico City) in 4 years. I take NAC when the air quality is bad, or when I drink, or if I am feeling under the weather. Seems to reduce mucous in the lungs (which I am prone to). I've read it prevents the conversion of Dopamine to norepinephrine, which sounds like a good idea to me.

#19 hallucinogen

• 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

I Notice Increased Cognitive Function and Clarity every time i take a single 500mg, which lasts for at least a day or more, but you gotta eat 100% raw vegan too !

#20 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

I wish NAC did something for my perrenial rhinitis. All my sinuses are clogged and I have to snort and spit them clear each morning. NAC isn't doing anything for it even up to 2000mg.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2022 - 09:34 PM

cysteine seems to be the only amino acid that is absorbed very well and important

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users