• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

If you could only take one supplement, which would it be?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

I agree with Vitamin D being #1, but is it good to do it without Calcium supplementation?

Edited by cougar, 12 February 2010 - 04:02 AM.

#32 bocadillodelomo

• 49 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:22 AM

Why is everyone choosing vitamin D? I've skimmed the vitamin D cure and other things about it and know it's important but personally, i take 2000 IU a day and don't really notice a difference in anything whether i'm taking it or not.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:23 AM

I agree with Vitamin D being #1, but is it good to do it without Calcium supplementation?

If dietary calcium is adequate, there shouldn't be a problem. It's pretty easy to get calcium from diet.

#34 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

Why is everyone choosing vitamin D? I've skimmed the vitamin D cure and other things about it and know it's important but personally, i take 2000 IU a day and don't really notice a difference in anything whether i'm taking it or not.

It's blood levels that are important, and at 2000 IU you could still potentially be quite deficient. LEF January had a good piece on it (IIRC 93% of their members were deficient).

Oh and also it looks like most people drawn to this forum for optimum health also want optimum appearance of health so getting it naturally is out of the question!

#35 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:48 AM

If dietary calcium is adequate, there shouldn't be a problem. It's pretty easy to get calcium from diet.

True enough

#36 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:17 AM

Why is everyone choosing vitamin D?

Posted Image

#37 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:51 AM

Wow! I saw this thread and thought people will say all the weird things like red wine extract and some other medicines and supplements and that I will be one of only to say Vitamin D.. but hey apparently everyone said it already O_o

My reasoning is: Blood tests shown I am deficient... ^^ Everything else seemed to be fine.. and I have no idea about the rest of the fancy names shown on this forum :D

#38 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

I would choose ashwagandha. It's been consistently good for my mood--modulates the HPA axis, preserves acetylcholine, acts as a GABA mimetic, helps regrow neural networks. But it may be particularly good for ME as a result of my own physiology.

2nd choice would be green tea, though I don't take it as a "supplement" but drink 10+ cups a day. Studies say this could add about 4 years to one's life. Lengthens telomeres, fights cavities, preserves collagen, boosts immunity, helps detox mercury, neuroprotectant, helps one stay wakeful (caffeine) and relaxed (theanine). One supplement, 4 years of life!

I take this occasionally when I get acid reflux to close the LES. I notice if I take it a few days in a row and then stop, the reflux gets a lot worse. I assume there is significant GABA 2A downregulation here.

It's blood levels that are important, and at 2000 IU you could still potentially be quite deficient. LEF January had a good piece on it (IIRC 93% of their members were deficient).

I think that's a really bad way of phrasing it. At 2000 IU you might be less than optimum, but that doesn't mean your deficient.

#39 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

Memantine (if that isn counted as a supplement, then i would take ashwaghanda.)

#40 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

To each his own! Vitamin D may work for most of you, but I’d rather take a fish oil supplement. Considering my personal health needs, I think I’d get more bang for the money since it will help support a healthy heart, joints andmental health! Plus there is a lot of great research on omega 3. So if I could take only one supplement, I’d pretty much put my money on Triple Strength Omega 3.

Most research is on serum omega 3 levels and fish consumption. To get more omega 3s, one could eat more fish. That's why I chose vitamin D in this purely hypothetical pole.

Edit: Spam URL removed from quoted text.

Edited by niner, 12 February 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#41 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

2nd choice would be green tea, though I don't take it as a "supplement" but drink 10+ cups a day. Studies say this could add about 4 years to one's life. Lengthens telomeres, fights cavities, preserves collagen, boosts immunity, helps detox mercury, neuroprotectant, helps one stay wakeful (caffeine) and relaxed (theanine). One supplement, 4 years of life!

I'd agree with this but drinking white tea is even better

Edited by HyperHydrosis, 12 February 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#42 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

The benefits of long-term consumption of white tea are largely speculative (based on its exciting polyphenol content) and are, to be frank, piggybacking shamelessly on the very well studied benefits* of green tea. Not to say it isn't great, but the present evidence is much stronger and more thorough for Japanese sencha.

*albeit in epidemiological studies rather than RCT's

#43 bran319

• 175 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

To each his own! Vitamin D may work for most of you, but I’d rather take a fish oil supplement. Considering my personal health needs, I think I’d get more bang for the money since it will help support a healthy heart, joints andmental health! Plus there is a lot of great research on omega 3. So if I could take only one supplement, I’d pretty much put my money on Triple Strength Omega 3.

Most research is on serum omega 3 levels and fish consumption. To get more omega 3s, one could eat more fish. That's why I chose vitamin D in this purely hypothetical pole.

A tablespoon of Cod Liver Oil provides 1200iu's of Vit. D along with EPA/DHA. You get the best of both worlds. If your Vit. D levels are still not optimal you could always boost your sun exposure a little. Either way, it's a moot point since both are affordable and readily accessible.

#44 Hedrock

• 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Carnosine.

It has a bit of everything. Anti-oxidation, anti-glycation, telomere-lengthening.

#45 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

The benefits of long-term consumption of white tea are largely speculative (based on its exciting polyphenol content) and are, to be frank, piggybacking shamelessly on the very well studied benefits* of green tea. Not to say it isn't great, but the present evidence is much stronger and more thorough for Japanese sencha.

*albeit in epidemiological studies rather than RCT's

I wouldn't exactly call it "shameless." It is the same plant, after all.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#46 bocadillodelomo

• 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:52 AM

interesting. I am going to get myself tested then. I just sit out in the sun for 20 minutes a day but who knows..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users