Photo
- - - - -

Former Prez soon to be killed by his incompetent doctors

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:05 AM

There's no better proof that power, fame and money doesn't guarantee good health advice/care:

Bill Clinton has two stents placed in heart artery
Former President Bill Clinton, who had quadruple bypass surgery more than five years ago, was hospitalized Thursday to have a clogged heart artery opened after suffering chest pains. Two stents resembling tiny mesh scaffolds were placed inside the artery as part of a medical procedure that is common for people with severe heart disease.
http://news.yahoo.co...us_bill_clinton

Teflon Bill is not gonna win this battle. Just like Tim Russert (also relatively young, but suffering from known heart disease), he is going to walk the plank before his time. He has severe heart disease and his docs are not doing anything that's not just a temporary band-aid. Meanwhile, his heart disease can be stopped and reversed, through diet and supplements -- both of these solutions, though, are not taught in medical books (heavily influenced and biased toward pharmaceutical solutions that make money for the medical industry).

You'd think our former Prez would get the best care our land has to offer. And sadly, he does.

(Edit: removed Crichton, who died from cancer, not heart disease. Thanks, Jazzcat.)

Edited by DukeNukem, 12 February 2010 - 02:35 AM.

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

I just saw that in MSN, and my first thought was, ut oh, we may not be seeing him again. Bill Clinton is one of the people I would most like to meet too. Heart surgery seems to have no money shaped tools in its tool box as other things like AIDS with people like Magic Johnson seem to have.

I know two guys that went in for heart surgery a couple of years ago and never came back.

#3 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:31 AM

It was reported in the media that Crichten was battling cancer.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

It was reported in the media that Crichten was battling cancer.

Oops, you're right. I'll edit my original post...

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

As long as the doctors are safe from lawsuits, as that is what really matters.

Edited by cnorwood, 12 February 2010 - 04:04 AM.

#6 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

Duke 2012

#7 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

I just find it worrying that this is the best we can do for heart right now (through surgery) :/ better not have a heart disease for the next 500 years or so by the look of it :/

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer Marilynn Marchione, Ap Medical Writer – Fri Feb 12, 6:09 am ET

Bill Clinton has a new lease on life, but there's no cure for the heart disease that has twice forced the former president to get blocked arteries fixed.

Treatments like the quadruple bypass surgery Clinton had in 2004 last about a decade on average. Then the blood vessels used to create detours around the clogged arteries start to get blocked, too.

One such blockage sent Clinton to the hospital on Thursday. Instead of fixing it, doctors reopened the original clogged artery and placed two mesh props called stents to keep it open.

It's something he's likely to need again, heart experts say.

"We see people who come in like this every four to five years. Essentially, it's a tuneup," said Dr. Cam Patterson, cardiology chief at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Surprisingly, this doesn't shorten someone's lifespan or give them a bad prognosis, said Dr. William O'Neill, a cardiologist and executive dean of clinical affairs at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine.

"I've done 10 or 15 in a single patient over a period of time," and they still live long lives as long as they don't have a heart attack and suffer damage, he said.

Clinton has not had a heart attack and has done everything right since his bypass — eating well, exercising, keeping his blood pressure and cholesterol in check, said his cardiologist, Dr. Allan Schwartz at New York Presbyterian Hospital.

"This was not a result of his lifestyle or his diet," Schwartz said at a news conference Thursday night. Since the bypass, "he has really toed the line."

And what good does that do, you may ask?

It can keep heart disease from getting worse and fresh blockages forming in new places, said Dr. Spencer King, a cardiologist at St. Joseph's Heart and Vascular Institute in Atlanta and past president of the American College of Cardiology.

Dr. Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas and president of the American Heart Association, agreed.

"This kind of disease is progressive. It's not a one-time event so it really points out the need for constant surveillance," he said.

About 1 million artery-opening angioplasty procedures are done each year in the United States. Nearly 1 in 5 patients who have one have previously had a bypass operation, said Dr. Ralph Brindis, a cardiologist at California-based Kaiser Permanente health plan and incoming president of the cardiology college.

"On average, a bypass operation lasts 10 years," Brindis said. "He's a little early for having a problem, but not that early."

Clinton also in the past has partly blamed his heart problems on genetics. There is a history of heart disease in his mother's family. He also has admitted being careless about his diet, has had high blood pressure and before his bypass, had stopped taking a cholesterol-lowering drug he'd been prescribed.

Schwartz emphasized how much of that had changed. Clinton's "numbers" were all good, he said. But heart disease "is a chronic condition. We don't have a cure for this condition, but we have excellent treatments."

#9 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer Marilynn Marchione, Ap Medical Writer – Fri Feb 12, 6:09 am ET

Bill Clinton has a new lease on life, but there's no cure for the heart disease that has twice forced the former president to get blocked arteries fixed.

Treatments like the quadruple bypass surgery Clinton had in 2004 last about a decade on average. Then the blood vessels used to create detours around the clogged arteries start to get blocked, too.

One such blockage sent Clinton to the hospital on Thursday. Instead of fixing it, doctors reopened the original clogged artery and placed two mesh props called stents to keep it open.

"We see people who come in like this every four to five years. Essentially, it's a tuneup," said Dr. Cam Patterson, cardiology chief at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Surprisingly, this doesn't shorten someone's lifespan or give them a bad prognosis, said Dr. William O'Neill, a cardiologist and executive dean of clinical affairs at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine.

"I've done 10 or 15 in a single patient over a period of time," and they still live long lives as long as they don't have a heart attack and suffer damage, he said.

Clinton has not had a heart attack and has done everything right since his bypass — eating well, exercising, keeping his blood pressure and cholesterol in check, said his cardiologist, Dr. Allan Schwartz at New York Presbyterian Hospital.

"This was not a result of his lifestyle or his diet," Schwartz said at a news conference Thursday night. Since the bypass, "he has really toed the line."

It can keep heart disease from getting worse and fresh blockages forming in new places, said Dr. Spencer King, a cardiologist at St. Joseph's Heart and Vascular Institute in Atlanta and past president of the American College of Cardiology.

Dr. Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas and president of the American Heart Association, agreed.

"This kind of disease is progressive. It's not a one-time event so it really points out the need for constant surveillance," he said.

About 1 million artery-opening angioplasty procedures are done each year in the United States. Nearly 1 in 5 patients who have one have previously had a bypass operation, said Dr. Ralph Brindis, a cardiologist at California-based Kaiser Permanente health plan and incoming president of the cardiology college.

"On average, a bypass operation lasts 10 years," Brindis said. "He's a little early for having a problem, but not that early."

Clinton also in the past has partly blamed his heart problems on genetics. There is a history of heart disease in his mother's family. He also has admitted being careless about his diet, has had high blood pressure and before his bypass, had stopped taking a cholesterol-lowering drug he'd been prescribed.

Schwartz emphasized how much of that had changed. Clinton's "numbers" were all good, he said. But heart disease "is a chronic condition. We don't have a cure for this condition, but we have excellent treatments."

It's quite incredible that most cardiologists believe the message of this article: Heart disease is progressive and cannot be stopped or reversed. Do none of this pea-brains read anything other than a drug flyer??? Dr. William Davis is doing what the vast majority of worthless cardiologists think is impossible.

#10 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Do you have a way that Clinton can protect his health? Would you recommend better diet, supplements and exercise or is the consensus out that we haven't found a cure yet for heart disease?

I find it hard to believe that Clinton would NOT know about the basics of good diets...and you really don't know what diet tips and supplement tips Clinton got from his Doctors...

My primary is all about me seeing one of the best nutritionists in the state for my unique situation, and in fact I'm going to this person in a week...if I get this level of care I assume Bill is as well..however see my edit below...

I think Bill can at least partially reverse this damage to his heart at least enough to survive till old age.

edit: I re read your first post and it seems you do think that diet and supplements can save someone in Clinton's shoes...I guess we disagree that he's not being well informed on diet and maybe basic supplementation.

I also agree that if he knew about Life Extension products he would probably learn some better ways to treat his condition.

Edited by dfowler, 13 February 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#11 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

Do you have a way that Clinton can protect his health? Would you recommend better diet, supplements and exercise or is the consensus out that we haven't found a cure yet for heart disease?

I find it hard to believe that Clinton would NOT know about the basics of good diets...and you really don't know what diet tips and supplement tips Clinton got from his Doctors...

My primary is all about me seeing one of the best nutritionists in the state for my unique situation, and in fact I'm going to this person in a week...if I get this level of care I assume Bill is as well..however see my edit below...

I think Bill can at least partially reverse this damage to his heart at least enough to survive till old age.

edit: I re read your first post and it seems you do think that diet and supplements can save someone in Clinton's shoes...I guess we disagree that he's not being well informed on diet and maybe basic supplementation.

I also agree that if he knew about Life Extension products he would probably learn some better ways to treat his condition.

Read this for starters:
http://heartscanblog...did-not-do.html

Plus, I'm certain Clinton's diet is the foolishly unhealthy low-fat food pyramid diet, the exact type of diet that leads to heart disease, cancers, diabetes, and numerous other inflammatory conditions. Grains, fructose, and "heart healthy" processed vegetable oils are killing Clinton, just like they are most Americans.

#12 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

I find it hard to believe that Clinton would NOT know about the basics of good diets.

But most doctors and most Americans don't know. Clinton certainly isn't doing his own research, so he's just a pawn of conventional dietary wisdom, in a country that has it about as backwards as any modern country on Earth. He doesn't stand a chance.

#13 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Well that blog is certainly telling, I just don't want to assume Clinton is as oblivious as you may think he is...although you could be right...

#14 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Clinton doesn't have time to read up on the latest about heart health. He is just assuming that all doctors are up to date. They are not. They are working off of old theories and poor therapies. If Clinton's arteries are really bad, then they needed a "bandage" (stent), but he could improve his situation with certain dietary changes. Dr Davis has seen great success in his clinical practice and Clinton could benefit from his advice.

#15 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

It's quite incredible that most cardiologists believe the message of this article: Heart disease is progressive and cannot be stopped or reversed. Do none of this pea-brains read anything other than a drug flyer??? Dr. William Davis is doing what the vast majority of worthless cardiologists think is impossible.

Do you think some of them are feigning ignorance of the possibilities presented by dietary intervention because they know it would lead to less business in their field? These are well educated people. Some of them have to know that diet can play a major role in the assuaging of heart disease.

On another note I am curious what clinton means about being 'careless' about his diet. I assume he means fast food was a major part of it, at least.

#16 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

Plus, I'm certain Clinton's diet is the foolishly unhealthy low-fat food pyramid diet,

'According to the CNN article, Clinton told CNN's chief medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, "I ate a lot of stuff that was high in fat. ... I ate a lot of it." Former President Clinton described his life before surgery in a 2005 interview. "And you know, I just didn't think about it. And I didn't have regular exercise," he explained to Dr. Gupta.'

http://www.allvoices...fastfried-foods

#17 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hillary run a campaign tv ad where it was briefly suggested that Bill had poor diet.

He's 63 though.

Had a successful career, wife, family, held the highest position in our modern Empire, a writer, have his Foundation. He's lived well.

Edited by Forever21, 13 February 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#18 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hillary run a campaign tv ad where it was briefly suggested that Bill had poor diet.

He's 63 though.

Had a successful career, wife, family, held the highest position in our modern Empire, a writer, have his Foundation. He's lived well.

The last few former presidents to have died lived till they were in their late 80s/early 90s despite numerous health problems. I guess we will see how long clinton lives.

#19 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

Let's not write Clinton off people...he could seriously reverse it through exercise and the rest..let's just hope he's getting the best information...that is up to date of course.

#20 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

He's 63 though.

The last few former presidents to have died lived till they were in their late 80s/early 90s despite numerous health problems. I guess we will see how long clinton lives.

Good if he makes it. But if not, at least he'd lived a Clinton life.

Sometimes living a good life can cost ya.

#21 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

What do you guys think about president clintons comment on how a high fat diet may have contributed to his heart disease? I also read that he has reverted to a 'high fat diet' since his first operation. Not sure if there is any truth to it. But I am sure if he is careless about his diet the type of fat he consumes in addition to other dietary factors are probably an issue also.

#22 Mind

• 19,042 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

All of this "high fat diet" talk is just decades of cultural programming. It is just an ignorant "catch-all" reflex answer to explain heart disease. All of us who read the forums here know that total (excess) calories are most significantly linked to poor health and that good fats can make up a significant portion of a healthy diet. Clinton's diet was most likely poor across the board, including too much sugar and processed grains.

#23 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

Let's not write Clinton off people...he could seriously reverse it through exercise and the rest..let's just hope he's getting the best information...that is up to date of course.

Would he not have done this by now? Obviously he was not receiving the best info. Think he knows anything about vitamin K2 (mk7)?

#24 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Clinton's diet was most likely poor across the board, including too much sugar and processed grains.

I agree with this but I think in his case 'high fat' meant hydrogenated oils and trans fatty acids. So it's important for us all to continue to telling people the difference between good/bad fats/carbs. The recipe for heart disease seems to be glycemic overload and poor lipid response made even worse by transfats, sodium, sugar etc.

#25 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Exercise cannot slow or reverse heart disease, nor affect cancer, nor hardly any health matters (obesity/diabetes is one of the rare cases were exercise actually has a benefit -- though not nearly as much benefit as diet).

Anyone who exercises for "health" needs to be re-educated. Exercise affects fitness, but as health insurance it pays meager dividends, and often does more harm than good. The high percentage of marathon and triathlete runners who die <45 is quite remarkable -- but of course the general public mistakenly believes these people were doing something supremely healthy. Whoops!!! Not quite. Just another in the long list of health and diet myths that have become conventional wisdom.

More fun myths that most ill-informed Americans (including Clinton's doctors) merrily believe in an obedient manner:

o Low fat diets are healthy.
o Saturated fat is a cause of heart disease.
o Total cholesterol over 200 is something be concerned about.
o Statins reduce mortality.
o Whole wheat is healthy.
o Red meat is unhealthy.
o Corn, canola and soy oils are heart healthy (American Heart Association says so!)
o Fructose, a low-GI sugar, is a healthy choice.

Edited by DukeNukem, 14 February 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#26 Mind

• 19,042 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Duke, I think you need to look over the exercise & aging thread. The evidence that exercise (perhaps not repetitive exercise to exhaustion like marathon running, but most exercise) improves almost every bio-marker of aging is incredibly overwhelming and has been proven for decades.

If you are referencing Taubes (on exercise), his specific argument is not that exercise is not healthy, but that it is not a guaranteed way to lose weight. Anyway, that is what he mentioned when we had him on the Sunday Evening Update.

#27 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

The high percentage of marathon and triathlete runners who die <45 is quite r

Let's not forget about soccer players. The degree of cardiac stress these people undergo is ridiculous and cruel and humans aren't meant for it.

#28 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

o Corn, canola and soy oils are heart healthy (American Heart Association says so!)

Wait, how is canola oil heart unhealthy? And relative to which other oil?

#29 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

Bill has also talked about eating more healthy, so it is likely he has already radically changed how he eats.

#30 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Bill has also talked about eating more healthy, so it is likely he has already radically changed how he eats.

Yeh now its ultra-low fat, almost none from animal sources all polyunsaturated vegetable oils and spreads... Big serving of whole-grains for breakfast washed down with a healthy fruit juice.... 5-6 small meals a day, he'll be right in no time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users