Photo
- - - - -

New Resveratrol and Heart Press Release Coming

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 cider

• 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:07 AM

Does yone know anything about an announcement from the NIH on the effects of resveratrol on the heart coming in a few days?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:20 AM

Could it be this?

Am J Hypertens. 2010 Feb;23(2):192-6. Epub 2009 Nov 26.
Resveratrol prevents the development of pathological cardiac hypertrophy and contractile dysfunction in the SHR without lowering blood pressure.

Thandapilly SJ, Wojciechowski P, Behbahani J, Louis XL, Yu L, Juric D, Kopilas MA, Anderson HD, Netticadan T.

Heart Failure Research Laboratory, Canadian Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health and Medicine, Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Comment in:

* Am J Hypertens. 2010 Feb;23(2):115.

BACKGROUND: Cardiac hypertrophy is a compensatory enlargement of the heart in response to stress such as hypertension. It is beneficial in reducing stress placed on the heart. However, when the stress is of a chronic nature, it becomes pathological and leads to cardiac dysfunction and heart failure. Current treatments for hypertension and heart failure have proven beneficial but are not highly specific and associated with side effects. Accordingly, there is an important need for alternative strategies to provide safe and effective treatment. METHODS: Ten-week-old male spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs) and Wistar-Kyoto (WKY) rats were treated with resveratrol (2.5 mg/kg/day) for a period of 10 weeks. Systolic blood pressure, and cardiac structure and function were measured in all groups at different time points of resveratrol treatment. Oxidative stress was also determined in all groups after 10 weeks of resveratrol treatment. RESULTS: SHRs were characterized with high blood pressure and concentric hypertrophy from 15 weeks of age. Cardiac functional abnormalities were also evident in SHR from 15 weeks onwards. Resveratrol treatment significantly prevented the development of concentric hypertrophy, and systolic and diastolic dysfunction in SHR without lowering blood pressure. Resveratrol also significantly reduced the oxidative stress levels of cardiac tissue in SHR. CONCLUSIONS: Resveratrol treatment was beneficial in preventing the development of concentric hypertrophy and cardiac dysfunction in SHR. The cardioprotective effect of resveratrol in SHR may be partially mediated by a reduction in oxidative stress. Thus, resveratrol may have potential in preventing cardiac impairment in patients with essential hypertension.

PMID: 19942861

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

Sure looks like a contender... but then again, one of the dates is Nov 2009. Wouldn't that announcement have come out weeks ago?

Edited by cider, 20 February 2010 - 04:49 AM.

#4 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:31 AM

Sure looks like a contender... but then again, one of the dates is Nov 2009. Wouldn't that announcement have come out weeks ago?

thanks for the heads up cider. where did you hear of this pending announcement?

#5 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:18 AM

A friend emailed it. He just added that he heard it from a guy at a gym who said he heard it on a health podcast. More indirect than I thought. He was specific though: NIH announcement Feb 25th on resveratrol and the heart. Maybe they completed a study or are announcing a survey of studies. No idea.

#6 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

A friend emailed it. He just added that he heard it from a guy at a gym who said he heard it on a health podcast. More indirect than I thought. He was specific though: NIH announcement Feb 25th on resveratrol and the heart. Maybe they completed a study or are announcing a survey of studies. No idea.

Thanks. Let's hope that's true. Its time for the word to get out so skeptics will be converted and the general population can start benefitting from resveratrol. R

#7 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

[quote name='niner' date='Feb 20 2010, 05:20 AM' post='385227']
Could it be this?

Great paper niner. It is good news for somebody with hard-to-control blood pressure.

#8 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

That is good news, but this can't be it. Just a rat study, and last fall. I think something bigger will be announced. Either a specific human study or some meta analysis, but I don't know what human studies were being conducted on the heart. That is why I posted here, to see if anyone might know what study was recently completed on the heart.

#9 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

It's very possibly the NIH rhesus monkey trial. Sinclair noted promising results from it a few months ago:

Cancer conference report, Madrid - Resveratrol amazing results in monkeys for cardioprotection and diabetes @ 480mg per day

#10 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:18 AM

It's very possibly the NIH rhesus monkey trial. Sinclair noted promising results from it a few months ago:

Cancer conference report, Madrid - Resveratrol amazing results in monkeys for cardioprotection and diabetes @ 480mg per day

Eason, I think you hit the nail on the head. A relatively low dose of resveratrol is going to be proven effective in cardioprotection.

#11 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

Eason, I think you hit the nail on the head. A relatively low dose of resveratrol is going to be proven effective in cardioprotection.

I looked up the quote on Sinclair's site, and that is from Nov 4th. Would the NIH would report on that almost four months later? or because the monkey trial is now over?

I wonder if the NIH would make an announcement if not a human trial, but maybe. If the end results are really "amazing," then I could see it.

And what would the conversion be for humans if monkeys were taking 480mg of resveratrol?

Edited by cider, 21 February 2010 - 03:59 AM.

#12 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:57 AM

I ran into this looking up what the NIH might announcement. I found ResV*** had reported on two studies that showed improved cardiovascular health in humans in early Dec 2009. The below looks good (although I don't know how good) and again the news is six weeks old. So far, the mouse study, the monkey study and two human studies on resveratrols effects on the heart... or is there another? I guess we'll know in a few days.

(on rereading, the below is from a press release from ResV***. Still interesting, though. They studied 30mg, 90mg and 270mg but only reported statistical significance for 270mg. hmmm.... I wonder what 90mg showed..... )

"This was a double-blind randomized cross over intervention that looked at the effect of trans-resveratrol on plasma levels and flow mediated dilatation of the brachial artery* (FMD). (1,2) The study participants included 19 overweight or obese untreated hypertensive men and post-menopausal women (14 men and 5 women age 55 +/- 2 years, BMI, 2.8 +/- 0.5 kg.m(-2), BP 140 +/- 2 / 89 +/- 1 mmHg) randomly assigned to consume placebo and three single doses of resV*** trans-resveratrol (30, 90, 270 mg) at weekly intervals."

"The second study analysis presented by Rachel Wong at the NSA and NSNZ Joint Annual Scientific Meeting investigated whether consuming resV*** trans-resveratrol in small doses would enhance FMD and calm a rise in blood pressure in response to sub-maximal exercise and whether there was a dose-response relationship for these improvements. (2)

"Both study analyses found that there was a significant effect of trans-resveratrol supplementation on FMD (P=0.006) with FMD increasing from 3.9 +/- 0.8 after placebo to 7.6 +/- 1.6% at 270 mg. (1,2) FMD was also linearly related to plasma trans-resveratrol concentration. (1,2) These preliminary data suggest that resV*** trans-resveratrol is an active mediator of the purported cardiovascular health benefits of red wine and grape consumption. (1,2) Wong et al., also reported that they did not find a treatment effect with resV*** trans-resveratrol on the blood pressure response to exercise.

http://www.npicenter...w...22&zoneid=2

(I kept the url but someone delete it if it is too much of an ad. The relevent part is above.)

Edited by cider, 21 February 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:33 AM

ResVida is a 99% resveratrol product from DSM. They are a supplier of bulk supplements to the industry, so I'm not really concerned about their pimp literature being posted here. They aren't viral marketers and they aren't trying to sell to consumers. Their study is interesting, but I'm not sure what changes in brachial FMD really mean. Did you notice that they dosed weekly? They noted that it didn't have an effect on hypertension, which would have been pretty huge. Because it comes from NIH, and is a pretty big result, the monkey trial might be it, although with this much fanfare you'd think it would be a human result. I guess we'll know in a few days.

#14 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

De Cabo, the director of the NIH monkey study and a prior resveratrol mouse study noted last month that the monkey study would be published "very soon":

Today, Spanish-born de Cabo is conducting resveratrol trials with rhesus monkeys, the results of which are due to be published "very soon". From his government laboratory in Baltimore he tells Wired that, so far, the latest trials -- in that well worn, scientist-beloved phrase -- "looks promising".

#15 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

Today, Spanish-born de Cabo is conducting resveratrol trials with rhesus monkeys, the results of which are due to be published "very soon". From his government laboratory in Baltimore he tells Wired that, so far, the latest trials -- in that well worn, scientist-beloved phrase -- "looks promising".

The next sentence in that Wired article is:

However, when I ask whether evidence exists from published data to support claims that resveratrol can extend human life and inhibit diseases, including certain cancers and cardiovascular disease, he says it doesn't.

That's strange. How does de Cabo know at this point that resveratrol doen't inhibit some cancers? Maybe he meant to say "We don't know yet."
The tone of the article is also odd since it seems somewhat negative while at the same time it looks like several human studies are coming out in the first half of this year.

(To niner, I did miss the weekly dosage part. Maybe not strange if just looking at the hour after effects and wanted to make sure the resveratrol was gone so spaced it weeks apart.)

Edited by cider, 21 February 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#16 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

The next sentence in that Wired article is:

However, when I ask whether evidence exists from published data to support claims that resveratrol can extend human life and inhibit diseases, including certain cancers and cardiovascular disease, he says it doesn't.

That's strange. How does de Cabo know at this point that resveratrol doen't inhibit some cancers? Maybe he meant to say "We don't know yet."
The tone of the article is also odd since it seems somewhat negative while at the same time it looks like several human studies are coming out in the first half of this year.

(To niner, I did miss the weekly dosage part. Maybe not strange if just looking at the hour after effects and wanted to make sure the resveratrol was gone so spaced it weeks apart.)

The relevant part of the statement: whether evidence exists from published data Very few studies have been done on humans, and these involved diabetes and melas.

#17 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

The relevant part of the statement: whether evidence exists from published data Very few studies have been done on humans, and these involved diabetes and melas.

But Sirtris' SRT 501 study on diabetes does count at inhibiting disease -- or I guess maybe reversing disease. The resVida study also seems to count as somewhat inhibiting cardiovascular disease.

Does the NIH have a precedent in using monkey studies to make a statement on the effectiveness of something like HIV or other disease? If the announcement is on monkeys, I doubt the public will care much.

Also interesting that Sinclair called the early monkey results "amazing" while de Cabo goes with "shows promise." So does Sinclair have information few others have with respect to this? Just a few days, anyway...

Edited by cider, 21 February 2010 - 04:10 PM.

#18 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

The good part, is if the study provides great news regarding trans-resveratrol, it certainly doesn't matter if it came from DSM which reports it's resvida as nature identical... or if the resveratrol came from a natural source such as polygonum.

The study merely reports the results of the trans-resveratrol molecule.

So, if a man-made molecule is identical to the one found nature... it will act the same way. Great for all of us, specially if it allows trans-resveratrol to come down in price.

Cheers
A

#19 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

I am surprised no one has brought up a trading angle. Could GSK get a bounce from the data/annoucement? GSK has come off its highs and might be due for an upswing, especially on positive news. Of course, if the data promotes the benefits of natural resv products, then maybe GSK would slide further.

#20 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:28 AM

I am surprised no one has brought up a trading angle. Could GSK get a bounce from the data/annoucement? GSK has come off its highs and might be due for an upswing, especially on positive news. Of course, if the data promotes the benefits of natural resv products, then maybe GSK would slide further.

GSK rose from 38 last summer to 42 in the end of last year and recent fell to 37/38. I would think those loses are more due to what has been going on at GSK , summerized at In the Pipeline. I assume their stock will rise if SRT 501 controlled liver/colon cancer in the study they completed almost two months ago.

With respect to the study not showing control of hypertension, maybe that shouldn't be surprising since they only gave a weekly dose. People who reported positive effects here stated the number of weeks taken every day, and the dose. In one case, a person claimed his blood pressure dropped at each 100mg increae, up to 300mg.

Speaking of doses, I can see how the announcement might affect what people view as an effective amount, even if it has to be converted from monkeys, since statistical significance of effects will likely be reported at different levels. If the NIH recommends a dose, that should have sway with the public.

Finally, if Sinclair tweeted the "amazing" results on monkeys for cardiovascular and diabetes at 480mg months ago, wouldn't that be enough to entice more to try taking resveratrol? Or does the public need the NIH making it official? Still hoping it is about a human trial.

Edited by cider, 23 February 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:32 AM

GSK rose from 38 last summer to 42 in the end of last year and recent fell to 37/38. I would think those loses are more due to what has been going on at GSK , summerized at In the Pipeline. I assume their stock will rise if SRT 501 controlled liver/colon cancer in the study they completed almost two months ago.

GSK is in the tank because of the Avandia problems. It's a big drug for them, and it has come out that they were aware some while ago that it increased the probability of heart attacks relative to other diabetes drugs. This could open them up to a Vioxx-like wave of lawsuits.

#22 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

Was the Longev*** press release the 'big' resveratrol news that was to be announced today? Mr. Sardi I think is the one, in a podcast, that got the ball rolling on this 'big' annoucement. Today he put out numerous press releases talking about Resveratrol replacing aspirin. The study in the press release was confusing (to me) as to how it related specifically to Longe** - except that Longe*& has resveratrol in it. I think I remember reading the same sort of study years ago. Was this an old study or a new study with the same results? Maybe the press release was a CYA for wrong info in the podcast?

#23 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

Was the Longev*** press release the 'big' resveratrol news that was to be announced today? Mr. Sardi I think is the one, in a podcast, that got the ball rolling on this 'big' annoucement. Today he put out numerous press releases talking about Resveratrol replacing aspirin. The study in the press release was confusing (to me) as to how it related specifically to Longe** - except that Longe*& has resveratrol in it. I think I remember reading the same sort of study years ago. Was this an old study or a new study with the same results? Maybe the press release was a CYA for wrong info in the podcast?

Well this is weird. I checked the Longev* website, and Sardi hasn't put up a press release since last May. Did the press release mention the NIH?

"DavidWilson" posted yesterday at Sinclair's resforum.org:

"....This blog was formed when all was seemingly good in the NCE world. Now, things have seemingly changed. Resveratrol is still king as will be announced tomorrow.
Any thoughts?"

He seems interested in the Healthy Lifespan Institute and says he takes 500mg of Biotiv** a day. I wonder if he heard it from the health podcast or another place. Not to fear, we may get to hear several more vapor announcements this coming year! I also wonder when Sirtris will publish as Sinclair tol the New York Times last August that there would be several publications coming over the next several months. That was six months ago.

(Ringo, I saw that you wrote that you had excellent blood work after taking 1g of Biotiv* a day for a while. Did you compare with what it was prior to taking resveratrol? Just go to the NIH, explain your results and ask for a microphone. You could make the big announcement if they aren't going to...)

#24 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:35 AM

Was the Longev*** press release the 'big' resveratrol news that was to be announced today? Mr. Sardi I think is the one, in a podcast, that got the ball rolling ...

Well this is weird. I checked the Longev* website, and Sardi hasn't put up a press release since last May. Did the press release mention the NIH?

"DavidWilson" posted yesterday at Sinclair's resforum.org:

"....This blog was formed when all was seemingly good in the NCE world. Now, things have seemingly changed. Resveratrol is still king as will be announced tomorrow.
Any thoughts?"

He seems interested in the Healthy Lifespan Institute and says he takes 500mg of Biotiv** a day. ...

Vapor Annoucements. Good one. I Googled resveratrol on Google News today and that is where I found the Longe*&% press releases. Check it out. R

Edited by Michael, 01 May 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#25 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:40 AM

Vapor Annoucements. Good one. I Googled resveratrol on Google News today and that is where I found the Longe*&% press releases. Check it out. R

So maybe "D*vidW*lson" heard Bi** S*rdi make the st*tement as well on the p*dcast. Any*ay, just got this min*tes ago....

A Bi** Sa*di creati*on:

(The mi**le pa*t that is most relev*nt)
Today, at the National Institutes of Health in Washington DC, Dipak Das, PhD, ScD, MD (hon), professor and director of the. Cardiovascular Research Center at the University of Connecticut, announces a new development in the promotion of heart health. that daily resveratrol consumption limits the amount of damage to cardiac tissues in the event a heart attack occurs. What should have been a mortal heart attack, chemically induced in laboratory mice, was reduced to milder tissue damage, less scarring and, can you believe, all the animals lived!

The first question that comes to mind of most people when they hear this is when will this be demonstrated in humans? Obviously, humans cannot be subjected to intentionally-induced heart attacks like lab animals. Aspirin was first implemented and then proven in what are called retrospective studies - a comparison of heart attack rates was conducted among aspirin and non-aspirin users years after they first began taking aspirin.

Will cardiologists and family doctors now begin to embrace resveratrol in place of aspirin? We will all have to wait to see.

There are other advantages that resveratrol offers. Resveratrol also thins the blood in a safer manner than aspirin. Resveratrol also reduces homocysteine, an undesirable blood protein linked with heart troubles. Resveratrol inhibits inflammation and even helps heart tissues heal following a heart attack.

So, was* ther* an an*ounceme*t? Sorta? Not real*y?

Edited by cider, 26 February 2010 - 03:43 AM.

#26 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

There are other advantages that resveratrol offers. Resveratrol also thins the blood in a safer manner than aspirin. Resveratrol also reduces homocysteine, an undesirable blood protein linked with heart troubles. Resveratrol inhibits inflammation and even helps heart tissues heal following a heart attack.

Do you have a reference for the homocysteine reduction?

Edited by maxwatt, 26 February 2010 - 03:45 AM.

#27 cider

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:56 AM

Do you have a reference for the homocysteine reduction?

I clicked a link to the "full press conference" if that is the right phrase. From Sardi again....

Das [U of Connecticut] says: "Resveratrol likely fulfills the definition of a pharmacological preconditioning compound and gives hope for the therapeutic promise of alternative medicine."1 Das goes on to say resveratrol's preconditioning effect is "the best yet devised method of cardioprotection."

But the references are from papers published between 2006 and 2008. Like Ringo said, looks like old news. But did anything actually happen at NIH?
At least we have the monkiey results coming. Those look either promising or amazing, depending on who you believe.

By the way, some commenting at In The Pipeline are after Sinclair's head, accusing him of outright fraud. Never a dull moment in resveratrol land....

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

We talked about Das a while back here. The spin at the time was more about the high dose being bad than the low dose being good. That and PK.

#29 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

http://www.prnewswir...l-85463852.html

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

Very nice. But it shouldn't be too surprising for those who have been following all of the resveratrol studies over the past few years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users