Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Have Your Blueberries This way (without milk) -- It's Better

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 tadgh78

• 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

The finding seems pretty clear; Milk blocks the absorption of antioxidants from blueberries if consumed at the same time.

Have Your Blueberries This Way -- It's Better

Get more nutrition from your blueberries by tossing them into a steamy bowl of oatmeal instead of cold cereal and milk.

Why? Because a recent study revealed that combining blueberries and milk in the same meal could block your body's absorption of the antioxidant goodness in the berries.

The ABCs of Antioxidant Absorption
Blueberries are packed with powerful phenolic antioxidants that help keep you young by combating oxidative stress. Problem is, these superchemicals don't always make it from your mouth to your bloodstream; you probably absorb less than 5 percent of the phenolics you get from foods. And certain food combos don't help. When researchers had volunteers eat blueberries with a chaser of water or milk, the blueberry-and-milk combo resulted in significantly fewer phenolics being absorbed compared with the berries-and-water combo. (Find out how blueberry polyphenols help your brain.)

When Milk Doesn't Do You Good
Researchers believe that the proteins in milk somehow interfere with antioxidant absorption. And other milk research has already shown similar results with tea and chocolate phenolics. So what to do? Skim milk in your cereal may be an option. Although skim milk still interfered with phenolic absorption in the blueberry study, it interfered less than whole milk. You could also wait a couple of hours between eating blueberries and having milk.

http://www.realage.c...-way-its-better

From Pubmed;

Antioxidant activity of blueberry fruit is impaired by association with milk.

Serafini M, Testa MF, Villaño D, Pecorari M, van Wieren K, Azzini E, Brambilla A, Maiani G.

Antioxidant Research Laboratory, Unit of Human Nutrition, Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione, 00178 Rome, Italy. serafini_mauro@yahoo.it

The antioxidant properties of dietary phenolics are believed to be reduced in vivo because of their affinity for proteins. In this study we assessed the bioavailability of phenolics and the in vivo plasma antioxidant capacity after the consumption of blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) with and without milk. In a crossover design, 11 healthy human volunteers consumed either (a) 200 g of blueberries plus 200 ml of water or (b) 200 g of blueberries plus 200 ml of whole milk. Venous samples were collected at baseline and at 1, 2, and 5 h postconsumption. Ingestion of blueberries increased plasma levels of reducing and chain-breaking potential (+6.1%, p<0.001; +11.1%, p<0.05) and enhanced plasma concentrations of caffeic and ferulic acid. When blueberries and milk were ingested there was no increase in plasma antioxidant capacity. There was a reduction in the peak plasma concentrations of caffeic and ferulic acid (-49.7%, p<0.001, and -19.8%, p<0.05, respectively) as well as the overall absorption (AUC) of caffeic acid (p<0.001). The ingestion of blueberries in association with milk, thus, impairs the in vivo antioxidant properties of blueberries and reduces the absorption of caffeic acid.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19135520

Edited by tadgh78, 01 March 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#2 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Interesting that skim milk interfered less than whole milk. If it was just the casein that was blocking the antioxidant effect, then it shouldn't matter. Someone should do a study to see if saturated fat in isolation blocks the effects of antioxidants. I was under the impression that polyphenols were good postprandial supps.... perhaps not.

Edited by progressive, 01 March 2010 - 03:40 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

and tea

#4 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

That's too bad, because I like to have my blueberries with rolled oats and milk.

#5 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

Funny, I take my blueberries (blueberry soup) with oatmeal. Any idea if coconut oil, magnesium citrate or glycine which I mix in the oatmeal interfere with the antioxidant absorption?

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

That's too bad, because I like to have my blueberries with rolled oats and milk.

i have a similar dish in the AM, but no milk. i cut milk out of everything.

#7 tadgh78

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

I like mine with natural yoghurt, but I'm thinking that has to be out now too; AFAIK yoghurt contains all the protein and sat fat of milk.

What about the Mediterranean style snack of wine cheese and grapes? Will the cheese block the antioxidants in the wine and grapes? I'm thinking if you eat enough of it it will, as cheese presumably liquefies in the stomach during digestion.

#8 tadgh78

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Funny, I take my blueberries (blueberry soup) with oatmeal. Any idea if coconut oil, magnesium citrate or glycine which I mix in the oatmeal interfere with the antioxidant absorption?

I've no idea. "The antioxidant properties of dietary phenolics are believed to be reduced in vivo because of their affinity for proteins."

I wonder how many proteins do the "dietary phenolics" have an affinity for? All proteins? Only animal proteins? Or only milk proteins?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about food science to be able to form even a conjecture.

#9 Solarclimax

• 209 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

i have a similar dish in the AM, but no milk. i cut milk out of everything.

Why don't you take milk ?

#10 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

I've no idea. "The antioxidant properties of dietary phenolics are believed to be reduced in vivo because of their affinity for proteins."

I wonder how many proteins do the "dietary phenolics" have an affinity for? All proteins? Only animal proteins? Or only milk proteins?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about food science to be able to form even a conjecture.

Aww come on, I just tried blueberries + oats + coconut milk and found it an acceptable replacement. Now we should cut coconut milk too?

#11 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Aww come on, I just tried blueberries + oats + coconut milk and found it an acceptable replacement. Now we should cut coconut milk too?

Well, just take either the blueberries or coconut milk at a different time. Both are still pretty good for you. I find almond milk to be a pleasant tasting milk substitute. It is low in both fat and protein. Try the Blue Diamond unsweetened variety.

Edited by progressive, 01 March 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#12 inkyoto

• 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

I don't see the link. Coconut «milk» comes from the plant, not from the cow. The reason it is called milk is a sheer convenience and not the fact of it being related to dairy.

#13 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

I don't see the link. Coconut «milk» comes from the plant, not from the cow. The reason it is called milk is a sheer convenience and not the fact of it being related to dairy.

Still has saturated fat though, which seems likely to bind to polyphenols, according to this study.

#14 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

and tea

Tea blocks blueberry nutrient absorption? Can you show me a link for this? Thanks.
Edit -- Ooops, reread that. I assume you mean milk blocks absorption of tea which I read before.

Edited by DairyProducts, 02 March 2010 - 02:54 AM.

#15 inkyoto

• 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:34 AM

Still has saturated fat though, which seems likely to bind to polyphenols, according to this study.

The study talks about milk proteins and high affinity of phenolics in blueberries for them, and I am on the hunch that casein would be the actual culprit. But where did the saturated fat part come from?

#16 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

Why don't you take milk ?

because of the same study cited by another person in this thread -- it blocks the antioxidant value of tea. i figured if it did this, it must not be healthy overall. also, i find it to be very "heavy" on my system, and somewhat debilitating. im not lactose intolerant, but i basically avoid most dairy cept for a little cheese now and then. im not gluten intolerant but i avoid wheat also.

just have to go where my body takes me, i think. i'd rather have a piece of fish than a glass of milk. it seems better, in terms of animal food sources.

Edited by prophets, 02 March 2010 - 02:42 AM.

#17 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:13 AM

I wonder if, when casein binds with polyphenols, the casein is no longer available to do some of the bad things people suspect casein does -- allergies, disrupt tight cellular junctures, etc. If so, eating your dairy with blueberries have a good side.

#18 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

The study talks about milk proteins and high affinity of phenolics in blueberries for them, and I am on the hunch that casein would be the actual culprit. But where did the saturated fat part come from?

The article said "Although skim milk still interfered with phenolic absorption in the blueberry study, it interfered less than whole milk." That seems to indicate fat plays a role too. Perhaps not though. Any other theories?

#19 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

The article said "Although skim milk still interfered with phenolic absorption in the blueberry study, it interfered less than whole milk." That seems to indicate fat plays a role too. Perhaps not though. Any other theories?

Well I would assume whole milk has less protein than skim milk if using equal volumes.

#20 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

Well I would assume whole milk has less protein than skim milk if using equal volumes.

As far as I can tell, one cup of skim milk and one cup of whole milk both have 8g of protein. That is why I found it strange that there should be a difference.

#21 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

That's weird, comparing at Nutrition Data it seems to be the same:

Skim Milk

Whole Milk

However, if you look at the Amino Acid Score its different. Maybe different protein fractions are taken out based on the removal of fat.

#22 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

That's weird, comparing at Nutrition Data it seems to be the same:

Skim Milk

Whole Milk

However, if you look at the Amino Acid Score its different. Maybe different protein fractions are taken out based on the removal of fat.

Interesting, I didn't know skim milk was a "more complete" protein. I don't understand enough about milk production to know how the two differ. I though you just literally skimmed the fat off after it rose to the top, instead of homogenizing it. I wouldn't have imagined that this would change the protein content.

Anyone else know more?

Edited by progressive, 02 March 2010 - 08:37 AM.

#23 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

I guess now that I think about it perhaps pasteurization could create bonds between the protein, fat, and sugar to create AGEs that are skimmed away, and perhaps the AGEs are what actually interfere? Perhaps some of the AGEs are skimmed away in skim milk, but others are not.

To test this we would need to study if vat pasteurized or raw milk interacts with polyphenols differently.

Edited by progressive, 02 March 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#24 Brain_Ischemia

• 139 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Haven't drank milk in years, though I consume moderate dairy from time to time (ie; yogurt, kefir, and small amounts of cheese occasionally).

I see zero reason whatsoever to drink cow's milk; OTOH, as the original post indicates, I see sufficient reasons NOT to drink it.

Edited by Xanthus, 02 March 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#25 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Bummer, I have been mixing kefir, almonds, sliced banana, and blueberries together for a morning snack. Maybe I should seperate out the kefir (or switch to coconut kefir) and drink it once the blueberries have passed my stomach.

#26 Hedrock

• 157 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

I take my blueberries with soy milk - would it be ok?

#27 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Looks like there's some bad news. It is starting to look like either protein and/or AGEs are the culprit. Almond milk is the only one I am pretty confident would have no effects.

#28 captainbeefheart

• Guest, F@H
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

perhaps a stupid question, but would you get similar problem with yogurt? I tend to have my blueberries with oats and natural fat free yogurt.

#29 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

Looks like there's some bad news. It is starting to look like either protein and/or AGEs are the culprit. Almond milk is the only one I am pretty confident would have no effects.

Not all studies have found a very significant effect of milk on tea. See for example this study on plasma antioxidant levels and tea. There was a reduction when milk was added, but not such that I would be overly worried.

On the other hand, the insulin sensitizing effects of tea are strongly inhibited by milk:

When milk was added to the tea, insulin potentiation was decreased. One teaspoon (5 grams) of milk decreased activity by 33%, while 50 grams of milk decreased the activity by more than 90%. Both whole milk and skimmed milk had the same negative effect, as did nondairy creamers and soy milk. Lemon juice, on the other hand, had no effect.

#30 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

Why AGEs? The AGE content of milk is comparable to apples.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users