Photo
- - - - -

Immortalist Tea (my notes on tea)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Okay here's some of my notes. I drink white tea mostly so enjoy. Please add tips.

Enjoy

Posted Image

Silver Needle white tea fleshy hairs

-white tea preferred over green & black tea (*)
-must be organic, buy from wholefoods store, fine quality
-get Silver Needle (Bai Hao Yinzhen) only, if not available get grade down White Peony (Bai Mu Dan)
-avoid other lower grade tea (Tribute Eyebrow, Noble, Long life)
-no tea bags use quality tea infuser
-infuser must be stainless steel, no wood or plastic parts
-dried leaves, no powders
-1.5 - 2 tsp per cup
-70-80*C (180* F) water, not boiling, use thermometer
-steep for 2-5 min (on second use, steep for 5-10 min)
-never add milk ever (*)
-add [url="http://"http://health.yahoo.com/featured/27/the-trouble-with-green-tea/""]squeeze[/url] of lemon or lime ([url="http://"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_tea#Effect_of_citrus_on_tea""]*[/url])
-drink warm, not hot

optional

creamer - non-dairy (i dont use any)
sweets - manuka honey ( (i use sometimes)

other read

linus pauling institute - http://lpi.oregonsta...ochemicals/tea/
white tea - http://pages.ripco.n...ea/faq.html#4.7.
drink white tea, look young - http://www.imminst.o...o...t=0&start=0

Edited by Forever21, 05 March 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

What is the evidence for white over green tea? (my guess: still not enough, or none; none relevant)

Edited by kismet, 05 March 2010 - 04:01 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

These guys use good tea bags and everything whole leaf: http://www.teapigs.c...t_us/tea_temple

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

What is the evidence for white over green tea? (my guess: still not enough, or none; none relevant)

White tea tastes better drunk cold, with no sweetener. All the evidence I need.

#5 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

I drink green tea 5x+ a day.

Edited by Forever21, 06 March 2010 - 04:25 PM.

• like x 1

#6 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

White tea tastes better drunk cold, with no sweetener. All the evidence I need.

In that case I'll take lipton ice tea. :)

Edited by kismet, 05 March 2010 - 10:50 PM.

#7 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

White tea is alright, but I don't think it is superior to green, for the simple reason that green is *so* much cheaper. You can make a much more potent brew for less money.

#8 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

I think this brings up a pretty common conundrum (to me atleast!) we have here on ImmInst when theorising about beneficial compounds and drawing on all the in vitro, in vivo and epidemiological evidence...

kismet makes a good point that the evidence definitely favours green tea. But then much of the reasoning of that evidence points to white tea being superior. So green tea simply has more data on it. But then we've been fooled before thinking we know all the details of a certain process, and later down the road we find out something new and realise we never had the whole picture (how many people for years/decades would have been taking antioxidants right before/after exercise). So this then becomes a pretty good argument for green tea, we know for sure it is beneficial, and do not know for sure white tea is better than green tea at 5-10 cups a day everyday for the rest of your life. Also IMO many cultural practices exist due to providing an evolutionary selection advantage (fasting, sun exposure, etc) so why did China settle on green tea over 4000 years ago and not black or white?

I drink both :)

#9 nootrope

• 88 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:12 AM

Here are some notes to look up (I will let you find the references! have fun!)

More antioxidants in white and oolong tea if brewed cold for 2 hours than if brewed hot (no difference for green tea)

Matcha (green tea powder) is a very concentrated source of green tea antioxidants

Fluoride could be a problem from too much green tea (especially "brick tea", pu-erh); less of a problem with white tea?

#10 miklu

• 63 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

If white tea is better than (or equivalent to) green tea along all its health-relevant dimensions (e.g., amount of EGCG), then I would be content; there is more to science than empiricism. So far, I haven't found any claims to the contrary. (More generally, I don't remember seeing studies comparing white and green tea, with an outcome preferring green tea.)

(But to be sure, I still drink both.)

#11 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the good information. I drink a lot of Starbucks green tea -- Zen and China Greentips. I guess these are no good?

#12 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Green Tea is practically my water. I don't think about it anymore. It is so integrated in my lifestyle. I use it to drink my supplements, to gurgle in the morning, for washing my face, for washing my hands. Together with honey and many other ingredients, its in my homemade natural liquid soap, toothpaste, handwash, bodywash, shampoo, facials, mask, heck if I could install it on my water supply, I'd bathe in it.

Its the white tea, cocoa & green smoothie that I actually prepare for fun & diet.

But green tea? Yeah, that should be the base of your liquids man. That and maybe FIJI water. (I'm thinking of having that one installed in my shower / home water supply too)

#13 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the good information. I drink a lot of Starbucks green tea -- Zen and China Greentips. I guess these are no good?

That's right. Not organic and the tea bags, gross.

Also, their green tea matcha is mixed with.....

SUGAR

...which defeats the purpose of tall, sugar-free, soy, matcha latte with 2 pumps of sugar-free vanilla.

Edited by Forever21, 06 March 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#14 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

I drink the regular old decaf black tea (unsweetened). The infuser makes a big difference in taste, when I drink decaf black tea (the same brand I use) that's been brewed in the tea bags it has a fishy rotten taste. I tear the bags open and transfer the tea to the stainless steel infuser before brewing.

#15 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

The studies I have read discuss white tea containing more L-Theanine, less fluoride, and otherwise an identical antioxidant content.

#16 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

how many people for years/decades would have been taking antioxidants right before/after exercise

Sorry not everyone buys into that bull.

Edited by mustardseed41, 07 March 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#17 Brain_Ischemia

• 139 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:18 AM

The studies I have read discuss white tea containing more L-Theanine, less fluoride, and otherwise an identical antioxidant content.

All from the links in the original post:

- "As white tea is made out of young leaves and buds, it has more of amino acid theanine"
- "Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[5] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress[6], and improves cognition and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine."
- "Furthermore, one study examining the composition of brewed green and white teas found that white tea contained more gallic acid"
- "Gallic acid was found to show cytotoxicity against cancer cells, without harming healthy cells."
- "New studies conducted at Pace University have indicated that White Tea Extract (WTE) may have prophylactic applications in retarding growth of bacteria that cause Staphylococcus infections, Streptococcus infections, pneumonia and dental caries....White tea was more effective than green tea at inactivating bacterial viruses. ... * The anti-viral and anti-bacterial effect of white tea (Stash and Templar brands) is greater than that of green tea. * The anti-viral and anti-bacterial effect of several toothpastes including Aim, Aquafresh, Colgate, Crest and Orajel was enhanced by the addition of white tea extract. * White tea extract exhibited an anti-fungal effect on both Penicillium chrysogenum and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. * White tea extract may have application in the inactivation of pathogenic human microbes, i.e., bacteria, viruses, and fungi."
- "Results showed white tea prevented the activities of the enzymes which breakdown elastin and collagen which can lead to wrinkles that accompany ageing."

Edited by Xanthus, 08 March 2010 - 03:19 AM.

#18 jackdaniels

• 73 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Ergo-log has great info on tea http://www.ergo-log.com/tea.html

Also came across this link describing how tea maybe harmful http://www.precision...een-tea-hazards

#19 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Here is something very important we haven't talked about yet: Re-using tea leaves

Do we have any data on concentrations of the good stuff(s) in re-used white/green tea leaves? Does one re-use better? How much is left after a 2nd, 3rd, 4th steep? Obviously if you could re-use tea bags just once you've doubled your effective consumption. I remember reading a post on green tea by JLL and IIRC the highest benefit was at 10+ cups a day and this most likely was from re-using tea leaves.

#20 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:03 AM

Green tea has been shown to protect against autoimmune diseaes in animals and humans... jack... I've read its protective against lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, sjogrens, MS... So that goes against the article you provided.

Edited by Matt, 09 March 2010 - 04:05 AM.

#21 catwoman36

• 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Green tea has been shown to protect against autoimmune diseaes in animals and humans... jack... I've read its protective against lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, sjogrens, MS... So that goes against the article you provided.

This is so true since i have rheumatoid arthritis and i drink 8 cups a day of either white or green tea to help ease the pain some it dont take it away but it does help relax the joints. I love hot tea wether its white or green.

jenny

#22 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Well there are two reasons. The first is that white tea contains more EGCG. The second is that it also contains less fluoride. Although the fluoride found in tea leaves should be the organic kind (barring industrial pollutants), so it isn't the same sodium fluoride that they poison the U.S water system with, but fluoride competes for absorption with calcium, so it may still be a good idea to go for less.

Green tea, white tea, and 1 other variety (not black.. something else) are the same tea leaves, just at different stages in the aging process. White tea is the youngest tea leaf harvested.

#23 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

Also, if anyone gets a chance to try this:

I steep
1 bunch of organic white/green tea (just grab some with your fingers)
2 bunches of organic gotu kola (it is usually finer, try for a 2:1 ratio) and
3 polygonum multilforum (un cured, maximum anthraquinone potency) root slices, broken up (they are very hard)

Add a bit of fresh ground pepper. It is delicious, and extremely healthy. It is actually slightly psychoactive (makes you more lucid, very anxiolytic), in a positive, cognitive enchancing way, since polygonum multiflorum affects brain monoamine levels (it is a monoamine inhibitor, but more importantly it significantly improves memory through structural upregulation of CA1 synapses in animal models), and gotu kola is just a very mentally stimulating herb (increases dendrite branching, outgrowth, axonal outgrowth, increases SOD and glutathione levels, modulates LTP, and more!)

Here's a bit on polygonum multiflorum http://www.sciencedi...425f1aceefa044e

Edited by bobmann, 09 March 2010 - 11:54 PM.

#24 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:20 AM

wow. thx for the ingredients. i'm so gonna try that.

(so white tea IS great tea?)

#25 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:49 AM

wow. thx for the ingredients. i'm so gonna try that.

(so white tea IS great tea?)

Yeah, green is just older http://coffeetea.abo.../a/whitetea.htm. I guess black tea is from the same plant as well, the difference is that black is fermented, while green is just ripe.

#26 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

Classification of green tea graphic attached ...

Attached File  class_l.jpg   129.32KB   134 downloads

#27 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:44 AM

I've always known that green is old leaf of some tea and white is young leaf of another tea leaf
but I didn't know they are from the same leaf.

#28 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

1. So, the best white tea is Silver Needle - Bai Hao Yinzhen: where do you buy this from? I've never seen it.

2. Also, for green tea, is Japanese Sencha the best? (see also # 5)

3. Can someone point to a table with figures that clearly show that white tea has more EgCG than green tea? I'm interested specifically in EgCG because of its antiviral effects. I don't give much of a damn about overall antioxidant capacity because i take plenty of antioxidants anyways. From what I've read white tea is good for ECG (=/= EgCG)...but I haven't seen data showing that it has higher EgCG than green tea. Also, nice to learn that green tea works against warts - HPV.

4. Cold-brewed white tea is a great idea summer time...but winter time I want some warmth from the damned tea...

5. I might be wrong, but there seem to be two distinct usages of "best" when it comes to teas:

5.1. best = highest level of antioxidants and anti-pathogen activity
5.2. best = best taste

I understand that if you want 5.2. you should go for whole leaf, but if you want 5.1. you should go for powder (green macha). Am I correct about this? So, should one choose Japanese sencha for best taste and macha for best 5.1.? Or is macha prepared from sencha?

6. I hate my tea bags floating on the surface of water, so I also use a spoon to crush them against the wall of the cup so that they sink below the surface...both the crushing and the sinking should lead to higher extraction rate...I hope.

7. For those of you who haven't heard the bad news, ellagic acid antagonizes catechins, so you waste your money if you take pomegranate and berries together with green teas (that's on top of the old news about antagonism with casein in milk & diary).

#29 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

Not sure if this study has been post before, but I haven't seen it and this is the most relevant recent post about tea, so here we go. I've never heard of cold steeping tea before but this claims that it's better for white teas.
http://www.sciencedi...a7015af73895d64

Abstract: A new popular way of making tea, especially in Taiwan, is to steep leaves in cold water. Here we investigate whether antioxidant activity of teas may be affected by hot or cold water steeping and if this correlates with their polyphenol content and metal-chelating activity. A set of five loose tea samples, consisting of unblended and blended teas, was analysed following their infusion in either hot water (90 °C, 7 min) or cold water (room temperature, 2 h). Antioxidant activity, measured as hydrogen-donating ability, using the ABTS· and DMPD assays, showed no significant differences among hot or cold teas, except in the case of white tea, where significantly higher values were obtained after cold water steeping, a recurrent finding in this study. The antioxidant activity of the teas correlates well with their total phenolic content and metal-chelating activity. Cold teas were, however, generally better inhibitors of in vitro LDL conjugated diene formation and of loss in tryptophan fluorescence. The results of this study contribute to gaining further knowledge on how the potential health benefits of this popular beverage may be maximised by the different methods of preparation.

#30 Forever21

• Topic Starter
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

1. So, the best white tea is Silver Needle - Bai Hao Yinzhen: where do you buy this from? I've never seen it.

Whole Foods

2. Also, for green tea, is Japanese Sencha the best?

Gyokuro, Longjing, Sencha, Matcha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users