• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Mother = Dead

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:19 AM

Im 20 years old, So far I have lost 3 grandparents and 2 great.

Rescently I lost a person that I was close to, my great grandfather, he was 85 years old. I knew that it was only a matter of time before I would lose him in my life. All them years he lived he had many memories that he would share with me.

He got diagnosed with cancer and died within 3 months. I was really angry at this point. I knew that there was nothing I could do. Im sorry I didnt speak to him about cryonics. To be honest I should of, But I was scared of the reaction. I am brought up in a family that believes in such things as Heaven and god. In his final 2 days I shook his hand and that was the last point I seen him alive. I didnt turn back to speak to him about cryonics because at this point he was filled with drugs/painkillers.

On the last day all my family visited him in hospital and he shook everyones hand and said goodbye, He accepted death. Somehow he conquered the fear of Death, he said he is ready to go to " heaven " with his wife that passed away about 10 years ago.

Although he had a longer life than most, All those memories, his personality and everything about him will never return. He is gone forever, I know that. Its a shame that the technologies of the 21st century will come too late for MILLIONS of people.

We have to stop death as soon as possible. Because of all these people I have lost in my life I now know what my goal in life will be.

I cannot accept death as inevitible anymore. Im still young but now its clear. I will and want to help in the fight against ageing and disease.

Matt

#92 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:29 AM

Every time I return to this thread it really gets to me, but it also strengthens my resolve.

The "Failure & Memorial" section is a great idea.

#93 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

Yes Elrond, every one of these personal stories touches me, and some even make me cry (my wife teases my about this...).

Matt, thank you for sharing your great grandfather's story. I never really knew my great grandparents (I supposedly met a great grandmother), but I'm lucky enough to still have three grandparents, all in their 70's.

I suppose it's somewhat depressing to consider that I have a higher percentage of grandparents alive than parents.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:16 AM

Hi BJ and friends - Thor suggested an in memorium section for the Methuselah Foundation website, and we are going to do it. We're also going to create a "forget you not" set of cards that donors can send to their loved ones in the vein of "I really really want you to stay healthy and for a very long time" so I've donated $nn to the M Prize in your behalf. Just thought you'd like to know we're working as fast as we can on this stuff :-)

#95 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Dave,

I hope I didn't sound like ImmInst should pursue this instead of the MF. I defintely don't see a problem with duplication. Here, it would be a more social, personal feel, limited to ImmInst visitors/regulars almost by definition. What gets set up at MF may or may not have a more public, formal feel to it. I'm not sure what you and others have in mind exactly. Here, we could reply with sympathy, compassion, memories, stories, etc., without necessarily being linked to that donate button. Anyway, it was just a thought. Bruce started this thread in memory of his mother, and it has since been filled with the stories of a great many losses, so I thought it fitting to have a forum where we can separate those stories to some degree.

#96 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi BJ and friends - Thor suggested an in memorium section for the Methuselah Foundation website, and we are going to do it. We're also going to create a "forget you not" set of cards that donors can send to their loved ones in the vein of "I really really want you to stay healthy and for a very long time" so I've donated $nn to the M Prize in your behalf. Just thought you'd like to know we're working as fast as we can on this stuff :-)

Hi Dave,

Good to see the Memorium section up and running successfully now. I've donated on behalf of my mom, Theresa B. Klein.

I've read my first post in this topic from just over two years ago...

For me now, the gloves are off. The fight for life has turned personal. I will not let my wife, my dad or any of my extended family and friends die without a choice.

I will now accelerate all projects at ImmInst. We will complete our first book in Aug 2004; we will complete our first film by summer 2005; and ImmInst will have its first conference in Atlanta in Nov 2005.

...and I'm happy to know that the book, film and conference have been completed successfully w/ future ones in the planning. While I've stepped down from ImmInst's chairmanship role to focus on Novamente LLC (which I think is the most leveraged way for me to help solve the problem of involuntary death) I continue to relish my more limited involvement in guiding the growth of ImmInst.

#97 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Hi Bruce - Yes, time flies doesn't it! We've come a long way - and have a good long way to go.

Drop by Pentagon City sometime and I'll buy you lunch.

Cheers,
Dave

#98 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, Dave.

I'm packing and moving this week in order be in San Francisco next week w/ the aim of filling out our first major investment round for Novamente... but, hope to catch up w/ you soon!

#99 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:11 AM

This was a really hard thread to read through when I first saw it around the end of last year. It woke me up to further embrace my life and those I care about. I've lost many of my good friends; and although they are gone, their legacy continue on as inspiration for me to settle for nothing less than my dreams.

#100 Dream

• 47 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

My mother was taken from me by an aneurysm when I was 22 years (I am 28 now). I have both of her addictions that almost certainly caused her early demise. For those of you who do not know, addiction is a b**ch. Life is really, really hard when managing an addiction.

I miss her daily, and my condolences to Mr. Klein. I understand the loss of a loved one. You are not alone in your feelings Bruce. Keep your head up.

[thumb]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users