Photo
- - - - -

picking a better sunscreen?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

Well I went ahead and ordered some BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Zinc Oxide Sunscreen SPF 32:
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 18.6%
Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Soybean Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

I was also considering a Zinc oxide only sunscreen by Loving Naturals but it was $9 more at SPF 30 with 25% ZnO...

Had no luck finding a sunscreen with high zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, not counting the Bioderma which is too expensive to consider.

#32 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Ultraviolet radiation at 300-400 nm, specific of sunlight near the Earth's surface, causes DNA damage due to ROS generation [23]. As shown by our experiments, SkQ1 at 1 nM concentration practically completely inhibits the genotoxicity of this kind of radiation for E. coli. No studied natural or synthetic antioxidant exhibited an equivalent effect in a similar system [8, 24]. Minimal effective dose for the thiazine dye methylene blue, that showed the best result, was 10 nM. It is interesting that this compound, like SkQ1, is a lipophilic cation capable of in vivo formation of an oxidation/reduction cycle [25].

from http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=402750

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Well I went ahead and ordered some BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Zinc Oxide Sunscreen SPF 32:
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 18.6%
Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Soybean Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

I was also considering a Zinc oxide only sunscreen by Loving Naturals but it was $9 more at SPF 30 with 25% ZnO...

Had no luck finding a sunscreen with high zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, not counting the Bioderma which is too expensive to consider.

rollo

I'll be interested in your experience with the BURNOUT sunscreen.

I'm absolutely no expert on sunscreen formulations, but the relatively high zinc oxide percentage seems good. I also like that it is a simple, one (active) ingredient product. Chemical sunscreen do not seem to agree with my skin type. The price seems quite reasonable as well.

My biggest complaint would be that it can be challenging to rub in. Once absorbed, I notice very little, if any white cast, and no one has mentioned Casper around me.

#34 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

rollo

I'll be interested in your experience with the BURNOUT sunscreen.

I'm absolutely no expert on sunscreen formulations, but the relatively high zinc oxide percentage seems good. I also like that it is a simple, one (active) ingredient product. Chemical sunscreen do not seem to agree with my skin type. The price seems quite reasonable as well.

My biggest complaint would be that it can be challenging to rub in. Once absorbed, I notice very little, if any white cast, and no one has mentioned Casper around me.

Well I just got an email back from Burnout and it seems that shipping is $12.30 as opposed to $4.95 so I told them to cancel my order. Too bad...

I did however order the following form Vitacost:
-Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen SPF 30+ -- 5.3 fl oz, Zinc oxide 22.3%(non-nano according to EWG), $21.35
-Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen -- 2.9 fl oz, Zinc oxide 20.5%(non-nano...), $11.90

They're both on the Environmental Working Group top sunscreens list, if that means anything at all. The zinc is non-nano which was important to me and the price is just right. The Burnout is non-nano zinc as well.

#35 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

Well I just got an email back from Burnout and it seems that shipping is $12.30 as opposed to $4.95 so I told them to cancel my order. Too bad...

WOW, $12.30 for shipping seems steep. When I purchased, there was free shipping for orders over $25. So I purchased two tubes.

#36 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:02 AM

WOW, $12.30 for shipping seems steep. When I purchased, there was free shipping for orders over $25. So I purchased two tubes.

So you've tried Burnout? What do you think of it?

#37 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

Dear Eva,

I am new on these forums (been lurking for the past few days), but I have already learned a lot, thanks to your generous advice.
I'm very impressed with your expertise in skin care and sunscreens, and I have a question.

I've never used sunscreen in my life, I am 30, and I have sun damage on my face.
After all the reasons you gave here, I am finally ready to start using sunscreen on my face.
I've read a few threads here on choosing sunscreens, and I am overwhelmed. I am new to all this,
and my head is spinning from all the chemical names...

Can you please list the top 3-5 sunscreens you recommend (best sunscreens ever in your opinion),
maybe with a short note next to each one, explaining why or describing it, or what type of skin it is best for, etc?

I live in the US, but I don't mind ordering online.

thank you!

Yelena

P.S. Do I still have to use sunscreen if I buy and wear a wide-brimmed hat when outside?

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have much time to answer you fully due to lack of Internet (am moving at the moment).
But there are diff. types of sunscreens that do a good job.
If you would like a cosmetically elegant susncreen gå for chemical sunscreens (or combination filters) like Bioderma, La Roche Posay or any other EU L'Oreal sunscreens. Avene is a good choice too.

In the US there are good sunscreens with ZnO, they tend to be less cosmetically elegant but more photostable. Look for sunscreens that have high percentage of ZnO (>15%), maybe combined with OMC (Octinoxate).

#38 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

You can buy L'Oreal sunscreens with Mexoryl filters or if you would prefer something with ZnO I am sure you can find plenty of good sunscreens with high content of ZnO in Canada.

What should the ZnO % be for a sunscreen to do an adequate job?

Can you through out names of any mineral suncreens that you like, the only one I can think of is the Bioderma.

Thanks

preferably >15%. I find almost all comercially available sunscreens far too oily and cosmetically less pleasing. The ones I really like like Chanel UV essensielle or Clinique City Block SPF 25 or 40 do not have good enough UVA protection even though tehy do look nice on the face.

#39 Yelena

• 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, Eva!

I spent the past 3 days reading this skin & hair forum, and I've gone through all of your posts :p
Based on your advice, I am going to order 1 of each below (I've never used sunscreen, so I'm going to try a few to see which one works best for me):

- Bioderma Photoderm Max SPF50 Fluid
- La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF50+ XL Extreme Fluid
- Avene Suncare IP50 Emulsion
- Nivea Light Feeling Sun Lotion Spf 50
- Garnier Ambre Solaire Uv Sensitive Milk Spf 50+

While I wait for my order, I am going to use Neutrogena Spectrum+ Face with Helioplex 360 (SPF 100)

I have 2 questions though:

1. Do all of the above sunscreens have to be re-applied every 2 hours? (I am confused because of the "combination" filters)
2. How do you guys re-apply sunscreen during the day? Do you have to wash your face first? Or do you just apply it over the previous layer? If so, then you will end up with about 5 layers of product at the end of the day... how is it going to look and feel? And if you have to wash your face first, then it's too much washing in a day... :p Please advise!

#40 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

So you've tried Burnout? What do you think of it?

See my post #33 above in this thread.

#41 dermane

• 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

Has anyone tried Bioderma photoderm mineral SPF50+ for face?
It's a 40g package. I can't find it on Bioderma's official website.

I don't have the full ingredient list with me but it looks almost the same as the one marketed for body and face (100g): ingredient list
The only thing I remember is that the first ingredient is cyclopentasiloxane instead of cyclomethicone.

If you have tried it on your face, do you find it greasy or dry (I've oily but dehydrated skin)?
Does it leave a heavy white cast unsuitable for daily use?
I wonder if it has a good UVA coverage? Are TiO2 and ZnO in this sunscreen non nano?

Your feedback will be much appreciated, TIA

#42 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

My problem is and always has been in finiding a good sunscreen to support -always- being in the water that doesn't make me white like a ghost when I am surfing.

The two best for me have been bullfrog and neutrogena with helioplex as nothing else seems to work unless I leave the water every 30 minutes to reapply ...and to be frank, that simply isn't going to happen when surfing because sometimes it can take 10+ minutes of paddling to get out into the lineup.

#43 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

My problem is and always has been in finiding a good sunscreen to support -always- being in the water that doesn't make me white like a ghost when I am surfing.

The two best for me have been bullfrog and neutrogena with helioplex as nothing else seems to work unless I leave the water every 30 minutes to reapply ...and to be frank, that simply isn't going to happen when surfing because sometimes it can take 10+ minutes of paddling to get out into the lineup.

Have you tried Hawaiian Creations, mikeinnaples?

Hawaiian Island Creations 2X Sunblock, SPF 50 Lotion 4 fl oz, $13USD.

From drugstore.com:  Dr. Martens - a Univ. of Cambridge educated scientist and avid surfer - developed Hawaiian Island Creations [HIC] 2X Sunblock to provide surfers and other athletes powerful, long-lasting UVA + UVB protection against sun damage.

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Octocrylene (6%), Homosalate (15%), Oxybenzone (6%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethysiloxysilicate, Tocopherol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice Root), Stearic Acid, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Disodium EDTA, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum)

My husband used this stuff for a while - not whitening as I recall, & good reviews at drugstore.com.

Perhaps it's worth a try?  Best, Mia

Edited by Mia K., 07 May 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#44 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Have you tried Hawaiian Creations, mikeinnaples?

Hawaiian Island Creations 2X Sunblock, SPF 50 Lotion 4 fl oz, $13USD.

From drugstore.com:  Dr. Martens - a Univ. of Cambridge educated scientist and avid surfer - developed Hawaiian Island Creations [HIC] 2X Sunblock to provide surfers and other athletes powerful, long-lasting UVA + UVB protection against sun damage.

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Octocrylene (6%), Homosalate (15%), Oxybenzone (6%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethysiloxysilicate, Tocopherol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice Root), Stearic Acid, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Disodium EDTA, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum)

My husband used this stuff for a while - not whitening as I recall, & good reviews at drugstore.com.

Perhaps it's worth a try?  Best, Mia

Yeah, worth a try for sure.

Thanks

#45 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

Check out BURNOUT sunscreen http://www.burnoutsun.com/

It was developed by an environmental scientist/surfer. I've been using it for about two months. My main gripe is that it can be challenging to rub in. Once absorbed it seems to stay put, with minimal to no white-cast.

#46 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

Check out BURNOUT sunscreen http://www.burnoutsun.com/

It was developed by an environmental scientist/surfer. I've been using it for about two months. My main gripe is that it can be challenging to rub in. Once absorbed it seems to stay put, with minimal to no white-cast.

#47 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

I did however order the following form Vitacost:
-Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen SPF 30+ -- 5.3 fl oz, Zinc oxide 22.3%(non-nano according to EWG), $21.35

They're both on the Environmental Working Group top sunscreens list, if that means anything at all. The zinc is non-nano which was important to me and the price is just right. The Burnout is non-nano zinc as well.

What's your review/opinion on the two sunscreens you purchased?

#48 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

The Badger is very whitening and greasy and has a powerful odor unless you buy the unscented.

#49 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:40 AM

What's your review/opinion on the two sunscreens you purchased?

The Soleo was out of stock so I never got a chance to try it.

I like the Badger so far. It feels a bit gritty and is extremely white as you apply it but after you wait a while and rub it in further it's barely noticeable.

I also got Beyond Costal Lip and Face Screen SPF 30 which I use on my lips, it goes on very smooth and light. I don't like that it has a tint to it, so if I don't wipe my lips clean after applying it sorta looks like I'm wearing lipstick. Still great though, I think it's going to be my lipscreen from now on.

#50 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

So I put the Badger sunscreen to a real test, I wore it to work. I love this stuff, you can barely notice it, it just looks like I'm a bit sweaty; it was 33C here today though. Best to apply it over a thin layer of moisturizer; goes on very smooth.

Eva:
I heard from someone that it's not healthy if you apply waterproof sunscreen to your face on a daily basis. Is there any truth to that?

#51 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

So I put the Badger sunscreen to a real test, I wore it to work. I love this stuff, you can barely notice it, it just looks like I'm a bit sweaty; it was 33C here today though. Best to apply it over a thin layer of moisturizer; goes on very smooth.

Eva:
I heard from someone that it's not healthy if you apply waterproof sunscreen to your face on a daily basis. Is there any truth to that?

How much Badger do you apply, every person I've heard use this sunscreen remarks about how white it is.

#52 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:00 AM

How much Badger do you apply, every person I've heard use this sunscreen remarks about how white it is.

Just on the face, I would say about a third of a teaspoon, maybe a little less. I don't know what the UV index has been here for the past couple of days but it's been very sunny and very hot, around 32C, and my skin feels and looks fine.

#53 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

I recently bought some neutragena 100+ sunscreen, I think it's called dry touch. It really works and doesn't smell too bad. I was using hawaian tropic spf 45 which is a joke. I put it on thick enough I looked streaky white and 20 minutes in the sun and I could feel it. With this stuff it seems to work. It was only about $10 a tube of 4 oz.

#54 vasra

• 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Reviving this thread as I came across the EW 2010 Sunscreen guide that has plenty of basic information on screens, formulations, sensitivity, etc.

http://www.scribd.co...e#fullscreen:on

Unfortunately they only rank US brands in their actual product ranking:

http://www.ewg.org/2...ptype=sunscreen

Still, the first PDF does provide a lot of useful information and references.

#55 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

The best all natural mineral facial sunscreen I have used and use is MyChelle Sun Shield with ZincClear. It goes on clear and does not irritate my skin like other sunscreens.

http://www.mychelle....n-Shield-SPF-28

#56 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Eva:

Water-proofing ingredients form a film on the skin that can be breathable or the opposite.
If it is breathable then there is no problem wearing water-proof sunscreen on the daily basis. However, often it is the opposite.
For daily-wear it is better to choose a product that is specially formulated for every day use, not for beach use.

#57 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Has anyone tried Bioderma photoderm mineral SPF50+ for face?
It's a 40g package. I can't find it on Bioderma's official website.

I don't have the full ingredient list with me but it looks almost the same as the one marketed for body and face (100g): ingredient list
The only thing I remember is that the first ingredient is cyclopentasiloxane instead of cyclomethicone.

If you have tried it on your face, do you find it greasy or dry (I've oily but dehydrated skin)?
Does it leave a heavy white cast unsuitable for daily use?
I wonder if it has a good UVA coverage? Are TiO2 and ZnO in this sunscreen non nano?

Your feedback will be much appreciated, TIA

http://www.bioderma....action/594.html

Ingredients
CYCLOMETHICONE, ZINC OXIDE, WATER (AQUA), TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, POLYGLYCERYL-3 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE , DIMETHICONE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM CHLORIDE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, STEARIC ACID, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, ECTOIN, MANNITOL, XYLITOL, RHAMNOSE, FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, LAMINARIA OCHROLEUCA EXTRACT, PENTYLENE GLYCOL, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, HINOKITIOL, TRIETHYL CITRATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, BHA

It is very fluid and esy to apply but dries to a matte white film on the skin which might not be cosmetically very elegant. It is very water-resistant and can be drying.
Has excellent UVA protection (PPD22). It is very much suitable for beach-wear. But for everyday use you might need something to tone down the white-cast (if you can tolerate the dryness).
  • like x 1

#58 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:12 AM

Water-proofing ingredients form a film on the skin that can be breathable or the opposite.
If it is breathable then there is no problem wearing water-proof sunscreen on the daily basis. However, often it is the opposite.
For daily-wear it is better to choose a product that is specially formulated for every day use, not for beach use.

Well they are all natural ingredients and I believe the water resistant property of this particular sunscreen comes form the beeswax that is in it. Do you think it's 'breathable'?

Active Sunscreen Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Other Sunscreen Ingredients: *Extra Virgin Olive Oil, *Beeswax, *Jojoba Oil, *Cocoa Butter, *Shea Butter, and CO2 Extracts of *Rosemary, and *Seabuckthorn Berry.
* = Certified Organic

#59 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

Well they are all natural ingredients and I believe the water resistant property of this particular sunscreen comes form the beeswax that is in it. Do you think it's 'breathable'?

Active Sunscreen Ingredient: Micronized Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Other Sunscreen Ingredients: *Extra Virgin Olive Oil, *Beeswax, *Jojoba Oil, *Cocoa Butter, *Shea Butter, and CO2 Extracts of *Rosemary, and *Seabuckthorn Berry.
* = Certified Organic

Oils definitely contribute to water-proofing and are very good film-formers. though I am unsure how comfortable (not to talk about elegant) it is to have so much oil on the skin every-day. Cocoa butter, Beeswax and Shea butter are well known to be occlusive.

#60 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

It's quite nice actually, very cheap and effective aswell. But most importantly, it's natural and safe; no poison on my face.
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users