Photo
- - - - -

B12 injections or sublingual?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aimilee

• 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

I think that I may be deficient in vitamin b12. In the last month I have been experiencing overall cognitive decline along with numbness in
my hands and feet. What is most disturbing is that my verbal and writing abilities have greatly declined. I am struggling to even compose this post! I am having difficulties organizing my thoughts, so please bear with me.

I follow a vegetarian diet and from what I have read, I suspect my b12 levels may be low. I have been taking a B complex PO and have noticed no improvement. I am considering taking a methylcobalamin supplement and was curious as to the effectiveness of taking the vitamin sublingually vs injecting it. I need something that is going to work fast as I am beginning to take classes in June after being out of school for nearly ten years. I am starting to panic.

I am currently experimenting with piracetam (today is day 5 at 2 grams 2x daily) and have noticed no improvements. I have actually felt a little more "spacey" than usual. I have been taking it with eggs in the morning and by itself in the afternoon. I tried taking it with DMAE for one dose with no noticeable difference.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Aimilee, 03 May 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#2 ken_akiba

• 199 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

Not that i am an expert in this regard but oral methylcobalamin works quite well (no sublingual is necessary let alone injection).
Off topic) Please do consider eating meat. I believe there is more to it than simple B12 deficiency that causes mental fatigue to vegeterians. I recall a study showing, that even with B12 supplementation, mental decline is many times more likely to occur for vegeterians.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

This may have to do with lack of complete protein. I think that might reduce fatigue too. Consider trying some whey protein + sublingual methyl b12.

#4 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:06 AM

I think that I may be deficient in vitamin b12. In the last month I have been experiencing overall cognitive decline along with numbness in
my hands and feet. What is most disturbing is that my verbal and writing abilities have greatly declined. I am struggling to even compose this post! I am having difficulties organizing my thoughts, so please bear with me.

I follow a vegetarian diet and from what I have read, I suspect my b12 levels may be low. I have been taking a B complex PO and have noticed no improvement. I am considering taking a methylcobalamin supplement and was curious as to the effectiveness of taking the vitamin sublingually vs injecting it. I need something that is going to work fast as I am beginning to take classes in June after being out of school for nearly ten years. I am starting to panic.

I am currently experimenting with piracetam (today is day 5 at 2 grams 2x daily) and have noticed no improvements. I have actually felt a little more "spacey" than usual. I have been taking it with eggs in the morning and by itself in the afternoon. I tried taking it with DMAE for one dose with no noticeable difference.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Check your sugar.

#5 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

Is it just numbness in your hands or feet or could it be neuropathy? If it is neuropathy then it is serious. If you want fast results you might go for both injections and sublingual supplements. I believe the neuropathy might take some time to correct.

At least get a test at some point to make sure that your levels aren't still extremely low. But getting tested now and again at some point will reassure you that you are getting better.

How long have you been a vegetarian?

It might be good to go to a doctor and get the injections. While there you might ask him to check some other things. Calcium, iron, and zinc are some other things you might be low in. Sometimes vegetarians can be low in sulfur. If you eat lots of onions, garlic, and hot sauce then you might be OK in sulfur.

#6 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

See a doctor, find what's wrong. It's really the only way, unless you want to stab around in the dark wasting time and money and, potentially, jeopardizing your health.

#7 Aimilee

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:21 AM

Not that i am an expert in this regard but oral methylcobalamin works quite well (no sublingual is necessary let alone injection).
Off topic) Please do consider eating meat. I believe there is more to it than simple B12 deficiency that causes mental fatigue to vegeterians. I recall a study showing, that even with B12 supplementation, mental decline is many times more likely to occur for vegeterians.

Thanks for the advice Ken, but eating meat is completely out of the question for me, as my political/moral views will not allow it. I do make sure that I get complete proteins with each meal though. There are many conflicting views on the effect of vegetarianism on physical and mental health but I'll save that for another thread.

Check your sugar.

What would make you think that I have unstable blood sugars? The numbness?

Is it just numbness in your hands or feet or could it be neuropathy? If it is neuropathy then it is serious. If you want fast results you might go for both injections and sublingual supplements. I believe the neuropathy might take some time to correct.

At least get a test at some point to make sure that your levels aren't still extremely low. But getting tested now and again at some point will reassure you that you are getting better.

How long have you been a vegetarian?

It might be good to go to a doctor and get the injections. While there you might ask him to check some other things. Calcium, iron, and zinc are some other things you might be low in. Sometimes vegetarians can be low in sulfur. If you eat lots of onions, garlic, and hot sauce then you might be OK in sulfur.

The numbness can be compared to the sensation of your foot "falling asleep" But it happens in my hands and feet multiple times a day. I don't know if that would be considered neuropathy.
I have been a full vegetarian for over 3 years now but, even before that I ate very little meat, and never any red meat. I have been supplementing with iron on and off for years because my levels were low. I also take a complete multi vitamin.

I have horrible insurance right now, so I have been trying to avoid having to go to the doctor but, I think you're right vespenegas, I need to get in to see her.

Thanks everyone for your replies. This forum is great!

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2022 - 03:52 PM

Injections you ''FEEL'' it more but sublingual or nose or inhaling is not as obvious to the person. Unless it is like a hard core drug then yeah all those routes you'll feel it faster and stronger compared to gi route. Also depends on the dose but not with b12 and health of the person etc.

Edited by kurdishfella, 01 May 2022 - 03:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2022 - 10:23 PM

Regular oral b12 works fine unless you have some gut diseases and even then just take an higher dose better formula. I didnt realize how much b12 helped me until i went off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users