Photo
- - - - -

article: Dark Chocolate - Not All are Created Equal

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

the interesting tidbit in this article isn't that cocoa prevents stroke/protects the brain against CVD, it's the fine paragraph/section.

http://www.scienceda...00505163242.htm

----------------

ScienceDaily (May 5, 2010) — Researchers at Johns Hopkins have discovered that a compound in dark chocolate may protect the brain after a stroke by increasing cellular signals already known to shield nerve cells from damage.

Ninety minutes after feeding mice a single modest dose of epicatechin, a compound found naturally in dark chocolate, the scientists induced an ischemic stroke by essentially cutting off blood supply to the animals' brains. They found that the animals that had preventively ingested the epicatechin suffered significantly less brain damage than the ones that had not been given the compound.
While most treatments against stroke in humans have to be given within a two- to three-hour time window to be effective, epicatechin appeared to limit further neuronal damage when given to mice 3.5 hours after a stroke. Given six hours after a stroke, however, the compound offered no protection to brain cells.

Sylvain Doré, Ph.D., associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and pharmacology and molecular sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, says his study suggests that epicatechin stimulates two previously well-established pathways known to shield nerve cells in the brain from damage. When the stroke hits, the brain is ready to protect itself because these pathways -- Nrf2 and heme oxygenase 1 -- are activated. In mice that selectively lacked activity in those pathways, the study found, epicatechin had no significant protective effect and their brain cells died after a stroke.

The study now appears online in the Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
Eventually, Doré says, he hopes his research into these pathways could lead to insights into limiting acute stroke damage and possibly protecting against chronic neurological degenerative conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease and other age-related cognitive disorders.

The amount of dark chocolate people would need to consume to benefit from its protective effects remains unclear, since Doré has not studied it in clinical trials. People shouldn't take this research as a free pass to go out and consume large amounts of chocolate, which is high in calories and fat. In fact, people should be reminded to eat a healthy diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables.

Scientists have been intrigued by the potential health benefits of epicatechin by studying the Kuna Indians, a remote population living on islands off the coast of Panama. The islands' residents had a low incidence of cardiovascular disease. Scientists who studied them found nothing striking in the genes and realized that when they moved away from Kuna, they were no longer protected from heart problems. Researchers soon discovered the reason was likely environmental: The residents of Kuna regularly drank a very bitter cocoa drink, with a consistency like molasses, instead of coffee or soda. The drink was high in the compound epicatechin, which is a flavanol, a flavanoid-related compound.

But Doré says his research suggests the amount needed could end up being quite small because the suspected beneficial mechanism is indirect. "Epicatechin itself may not be shielding brain cells from free radical damage directly, but instead, epicatechin, and its metabolites, may be prompting the cells to defend themselves," he suggests.

The epicatechin is needed to jump-start the protective pathway that is already present within the cells. "Even a small amount may be sufficient," Doré says.
Not all dark chocolates are created equally, he cautions. Some have more bioactive epicatechin than others.

"The epicatechin found in dark chocolate is extremely sensitive to changes in heat and light" he says. "In the process of making chocolate, you have to make sure you don't destroy it. Only few chocolates have the active ingredient. The fact that it says 'dark chocolate' is not sufficient."

The new study was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart and Stroke Association.
Other Johns Hopkins researchers on the study include Zahoor A. Shah, Ph.D.; Rung-chi Li, Ph.D.; Abdullah S. Ahmad, Ph.D.; Thomas W. Kensler, Ph.D.; and Shyam Biswal, Ph.D.

--------------

any ideas off the top of anyone's head on which dark chocolate brands contain the most epicatechin?

Edited by prophets, 06 May 2010 - 12:20 AM.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 Yono

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:13 AM

A quick google search pulled up http://www.greenandb...tioxidants.html

We have tested our bars for polyphenols through an independent laboratory and for epicatechin, a flavanol which also falls into the polyphenolic group:
G&B’s Organic Dark 70% Chocolate – 2.2% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Dark 70% Chocolate – 1040 ppm Epicatechin
G&B’s Organic Milk Chocolate – 0.5% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Milk Chocolate – 320 ppm Epicatechin
G&B’s Organic Fairtrade Cocoa Powder – 4% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Fairtrade Cocoa Powder – 2270 ppm Epicatechin
G&B’s Organic Dark 85% Chocolate – 2.3% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Dark 85% Chocolate – 1080 ppm Epicatechin

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:18 AM

A quick google search pulled up http://www.greenandb...tioxidants.html

We have tested our bars for polyphenols through an independent laboratory and for epicatechin, a flavanol which also falls into the polyphenolic group:
G&B’s Organic Dark 70% Chocolate – 2.2% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Dark 70% Chocolate – 1040 ppm Epicatechin
G&B’s Organic Milk Chocolate – 0.5% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Milk Chocolate – 320 ppm Epicatechin
G&B’s Organic Fairtrade Cocoa Powder – 4% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Fairtrade Cocoa Powder – 2270 ppm Epicatechin
G&B’s Organic Dark 85% Chocolate – 2.3% Total Polyphenols
G&B’s Organic Dark 85% Chocolate – 1080 ppm Epicatechin

Nice find.
I think G&B is dutched, isn't it? To me, those polyphenol percentages sorta stink...

I wonder what Lindt's is now.

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:34 AM

I believe dutching has very little to do with chocolates.

I eat chocolove 77%:
http://www.chocolove...oduct.htm#dutch

#5 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

maybe it's best to just buy raw cocoa and make your own drink?

#6 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:40 AM

maybe it's best to just buy raw cocoa and make your own drink?

Yes but dark chocolate is SO GOOD! We must continue the hunt for what would I think be the undisputed best food around!

#7 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:47 AM

From Skötkonung in another thread

Processed cocoa powder (so called Dutch chocolate), processed with alkali greatly reduces the antioxidant capacity as compared to "raw" cocoa powder. Processing cocoa with alkali destroys most of the flavonoids.

Cocoa antioxidants and cardiovascular health
"Subsequent processing steps, such as roasting and alkali treatment, can also reduce the flavonoid contents.... as much as 90% of the flavonoids can be lost during processing."

If they are realizing any cardiovascular benefits from highly processed chocolate, it is likely due the presence of stearic acid.

However, most of the studies involving chocolate and CVD reduction use dark chocolate (not processed with alkali).

Dark Chocolate Consumption Increases HDL Cholesterol Concentration and Chocolate Fatty Acids May Inhibit Lipid Peroxidation in Healthy Humans
Effects of cocoa powder and dark chocolate on LDL oxidative susceptibility and prostaglandin concentrations in human

Also from Lindt's website:
Are there flavanols in Lindt chocolate?We use the 'conching' process to create our chocolate. This is a high-quality manufacturing processes which maintains the highest level of flavanols and polyphenons possible. The higher the cocoa content on the chocolate, the higher the flavanol level will be. For comparison reasons, our milk truffles have 30% cocoa, dark truffles contain approximately 39% cocoa, and semisweet contain approximately 49% cocoa. Our 70% and 85% bars have some of the highest percentages of cocoa and minimal amount of sugar sold in the US. Because we do not test for these compounds, we cannot give you the exact percentage contained in each of our products. Our response is based upon articles and studies performed by independent testing laboratories and universities, coupled with our knowledge and expertise on the ingredients and process used to manufacture our products here at Lindt.

Hmmm... Anyone have any data on Lindt polyphenol percentages? I have access to both Lindt & G&B so I think I should start hedging my bets and buying both :|o

#8 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

Yes but dark chocolate is SO GOOD! We must continue the hunt for what would I think be the undisputed best food around!

idk, i get nearly the same pleasure out of almond milk + raw cocoa without all the sugar and saturated fat. 80% of the value and none of the guilt really.

#9 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

If going for highest polyphenol amounts, Navitas raw at 10% (or thereabouts) is probably best.

But Lindt 85%-99% does taste really good.

We just need a low oxalate, low iron/copper/lead cocoa now...

#10 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:14 AM

Good catch Prophets.
I don't usually eat chocolate bars. I use Rapunzel organic cocoa powder (non-sweetened and non-alkaline) http://www.rapunzel....king_kokoa.html
5-15 grams to my breakfast concoction of oatmeal, brewers yeast, blue berries, green powders, olive oil, protein powder, and coconut oil and it tastes like I'm eating a lot of chocolate (with the berries the add a different, complementary taste) even with the little I add. It overpowers all of the conflicting tastes of the other ingredients.
Very satisfied with it, but I would switch brands if I found out about a better one.

#11 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:05 AM

I move back and forth between Lindt 90% and Lindt 99%

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:54 AM

I believe dutching has very little to do with chocolates.

I eat chocolove 77%:
http://www.chocolove...oduct.htm#dutch

The Chocolove people say:

8. Is Chocolove Dutch processed?

No. Dutch processing is sometimes used to make cocoa powder more soluble in drink mixes. It has very little application in chocolate and has no use in making premium chocolate.

Dutching does more than that; it reduced bitterness and darkens the color. This makes me wonder if some cheaper dark chocolate hasn't been dutched. It would make it both darker and better tasting without needing so much sugar to mask the bitterness. It's certainly possible to recombine the dutched cocoa solids with cocoa butter to make Dutch Process Chocolate. I don't know how common that is. I used to think that most cheap, sweet chocolate was dutched, but now I'm not so sure. I guess all you have to do is add more sugar...

#13 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

http://www.chocosphe...

Good site.

#14 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

This is my current dark chocolate of choice. Dagoba Organic 100% Cocoa. Not for the faint of heart ;) . I don't know how it stacks up based on the article.

http://www.worldpant...cgrfnbr=3262752

#15 majkazuki

• 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Has anyone followed up on this?

The grocery stores in my area that carry dark chocolate at reasonable prices usually have Lindt and Ghiradelli. I usually opt for 86%, though sometimes settle for 72% so that my gf will eat some with me... I do enjoy and benefit from the stimulation I get from a few squares of either type of chocolate.

Am I wasting my money? Is there anything of better quality that is fairly easy to find and reasonably priced?

#16 Methodician

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Has anyone followed up on this?

The grocery stores in my area that carry dark chocolate at reasonable prices usually have Lindt and Ghiradelli. I usually opt for 86%, though sometimes settle for 72% so that my gf will eat some with me... I do enjoy and benefit from the stimulation I get from a few squares of either type of chocolate.

Am I wasting my money? Is there anything of better quality that is fairly easy to find and reasonably priced?

I dunno but for whatever reason I keep going back to Green & Blacks 85%. It's readily available in most specialty markets (or whatever you'd call the likes of Sprouts, WF, TJ's, Mother's Market, etc...) and even some supermarkets. It just feels a little more high quality than Lindt or Ghiradelli but that may be totally subjective. I'm pretty hooked though. Usually 10-30 grams per day though I often go weeks without and don't terribly miss it.

#17 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm pretty sure that Lindt use the Dutch process now. It tastes too nice. I find that their 90% bars don't taste particularly bitter (although it's possible I am just used to bitter flavours). I find the 90% Lindt a mild flavour and dark colour, which to me makes me think they could be using the Dutch process.

Some reviews on Amazon.com say that Lindt mentions using the Dutch process on their ingredients list, but they don't say that on the ones I buy. Perhaps it's not a requirement in my country to state it. But supposedly they still remain high in polyphenols and antioxidants in spite of this. They would still be beneficial, just not as much. One of the comments said it was only the 90% bars that used the Dutch process. Honestly I don't know where they're getting this information. As I said, it says nothing on the bars I buy.

I've been eating organic cocoa nibs every day anyway, which should be better than dark chocolate.

Edited by Debaser, 18 May 2014 - 01:47 PM.

• Agree x 1

#18 Pyrion

• 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Just found this older thread about epicatechin. Want to let you know that you can now buy it as a relatively high dosed supplement, advertised as help for body building (as it seems to stimulate your follistatin levels, decreasing your myostatin levels and promoting muscle growth). I know of 2 brands, one is called follidrone and one is just called epicatechin from Bodyconcious. There are promising logs of it in the body building scene already.

• dislike x 1
  • Informative x 1

#19 TiredAt45

• 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:07 AM

IMHO, there is only one chocolate worth eating:

Scharffen Berger.

Once I started eating it, no other chocolate seems to have any taste at all.  It's very intense.

It would be interesting to find out what it's assay of epicatechin is.

#20 itpp

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

"ientists have been intrigued by the potential health benefits of epicatechin by studying the Kuna Indians, a remote population living on islands off the coast of Panama. The islands' residents had a low incidence of cardiovascular disease. Scientists who studied them found nothing striking in the genes and realized that when they moved away from Kuna, they were no longer protected from heart problems. Researchers soon discovered the reason was likely environmental: The residents of Kuna regularly drank a very bitter cocoa drink, with a consistency like molasses, instead of coffee or soda. The drink was high in the compound epicatechin, which is a flavanol, a flavanoid-related compound."

Surprised this stuff isn't bottled up and sold at your local Whole Foods

#21 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that Lindt use the Dutch process now. It tastes too nice. I find that their 90% bars don't taste particularly bitter (although it's possible I am just used to bitter flavours). I find the 90% Lindt a mild flavour and dark colour, which to me makes me think they could be using the Dutch process.

It's not as simple as either dutched or non-dutched. All large chocolate manufacturers use a blend of different varieties of cocoa, just like coffee roasteries or whisky blenders. Some of the cocoa in the mix may be dutched, some undutched. The exact composition of the blend can be quite complex and variable and is considered a trade secret, so you will hardly get any precise information.

I just got a bar of both 90% and 85% Lindt chocolate (as sold in Germany) and tasted them side by side. The 90% chocolate is labeled as mild, the 85% as tart. There is a mild variety of the 85% chocolate as well, but the 90% is only available as mild.

The visual difference is striking: the 90% is much darker than the 85%, which clearly shows that it is predominantly made of dutched cocoa. This is also evident in the taste. The 90% is indeed very mild, having only a hint of tartness and a warm, earthy flavour, whereas the 85% is much tarter and bitterer despite of the lower cocoa content. It is more tangy than earthy. I like it strong and bitter, so I prefer the latter. I would also expect the 85% to have a significantly higher amount of polyphenols, making it the healthier choice, despite the fact that it contains a little more sugar.

I have tasted the 99% Lindt chocolate once and from what I remember it is much like the 90%, only without the slight sweetness. Given that the only real difference is that it comes without the 7% added sugar, it is ridiculously overpriced.

Ironically, some people here have noted that they don't like the taste of the 85% and prefer the 90% or 99% - probably without knowing that this tart, bitter taste they dislike is actually the very taste of the beneficial polyphenols they are after.

Edited by timar, 11 April 2015 - 06:34 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#22 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Timar,

I bought the two dif. versions of 85% last week along with the 90% and was wondering the same. 

#23 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

I have tasted the 99% Lindt chocolate once and from what I remember it is much like the 90%, only without the slight sweetness.

Hmm, I ate quite a bit of the 99% chocolate and it was nothing at all like the 90%, or any chocolate I've ever eaten before or since. It was very bitter and "gritty" in texture, with no sweetness at all. This was a few years ago though. I've seen other people say it tastes "nice" and they simply can't have been eating the same thing. What I ate was definitely an acquired taste. One small piece was enjoyable once you got used to it, but it wasn't really like eating chocolate. It's possible that they've changed the recipe since then and now it's dutched so that it tastes better and more like the 90%.

I agree about the 85% vs 90%. The latter has a very mild and not very bitter flavour, which makes me think it can't have many flavanols. Considering it's meant to have such a high cocoa content it must be dutched.

Edited by Debaser, 11 April 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#24 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

I have a bar of Lindt 99% chocolate in the pantry, and you're exactly right it is somewhat bitter and gritty. I've been nibbling at it since Christmas. It seems pointless to have the proportion of cocoa powder so high, because you could eat vastly more 85% chocolate than 99% chocolate, thus obtaining far more polyphenols.

#25 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hmm, maybe I am wrong about the 99%. It has been quite a while since I tasted it.

I noted another thing about the fat content from the nutrition facts label. The 90% Lindt chocolate has 55% fat, while the tart 85% has only 46% fat. Given that the 90% has 5% more sugar, there is still 4% more fat-free dry mass - e.g. cocoa powder - in the 85% than in the 90%. So it would have more flavonoids even if it was made from the exact same cocoa. In fact, theoretically they could sell pure, white cocoa butter as 100% chocolate, as the percentage only refers to the content of cocoa solids and doesn't differentiate between fat and other dry mass. Overall, the 85% seems like a very good bet for a high content of polyphenols.

I have to hurry to stock up on them as they are on sale right now in my local supermarket :happy:

Edited by timar, 12 April 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#26 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

The grocery stores in my area that carry dark chocolate at reasonable prices usually have Lindt and Ghiradelli.

Ghirardelli adds milkfat to their dark chocolate for some unfathomable reason, so I avoid it.   

Edited by nowayout, 13 April 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#27 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

Ghirardelli adds milkfat to their dark chocolate for some unfathomable reason, so I avoid it.   

Milk fat has a lower melting point than cocoa butter, so it gives the chocolate a softer texture and a "melt in the mouth" feeling. Careful conching however should do the same. To add milk fat is like saying "we don't know how to properly conche our chocolate, so we have to use some trick".

#28 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Milk fat has a lower melting point than cocoa butter, so it gives the chocolate a softer texture and a "melt in the mouth" feeling. Careful conching however should do the same. To add milk fat is like saying "we don't know how to properly conche our chocolate, so we have to use some trick".

Not to mention that Ghirardelli is being deceptive.  Nobody expects dark chocolate to have butterfat, so in my opinion Ghirardelli are engaging in deceptive marketing.  They are falsely appropriating a description that is associated with certain health benefits (and also normally assumed to be vegetarian/vegan) for a product that doesn't fit the description.   

I know I have mistakenly bought their "dark" chocolate in the past, only to realize afterwards that it wasn't what it claimed to be, and I am sure this happens routinely.  

Edited by nowayout, 13 April 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#29 motorcitykid

• 276 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

Godiva 85% Extra Dark comes out on top in the latest chromatography test:

https://www.research..._Chromatography

Edited by motorcitykid, 01 January 2019 - 07:55 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#30 Oakman

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

"any ideas off the top of anyone's head on which dark chocolate brands contain the most epicatechin?"

Doesn't have quite the dopamine lift of a chocolate bar, but if you're specifically looking for epicatechins....

"A 375 mg serving of CocoaVia® supplement contains approximately 80 mg of  (-)epicatechin."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users