• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

White Pages bite the dust

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Just like the typewriter, film camera, and landline phone, the white pages - aka the phone books - have outlived their usefulness. Verizon claims only 1 out of 9 people use the paper version, yet they are mandated to deliver them (and outdated regulation, like most government regulations - a dinosaur).

More and more people are dropping their cable TV subscriptions as well. I suppose in part because of the recession, in part because many popular shows are available online, but also because online is where "the action is".

It is interesting to see how many technologies have become obsolete during my lifetime. Many more to come no doubt.

#2 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:26 AM

Just like the typewriter, film camera, and landline phone, the white pages - aka the phone books - have outlived their usefulness. Verizon claims only 1 out of 9 people use the paper version, yet they are mandated to deliver them (and outdated regulation, like most government regulations - a dinosaur).

More and more people are dropping their cable TV subscriptions as well. I suppose in part because of the recession, in part because many popular shows are available online, but also because online is where "the action is".

It is interesting to see how many technologies have become obsolete during my lifetime. Many more to come no doubt.

Now if only my local newspaper would stop littering my driveway every Tuesday morning with a special free edition.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:55 AM

Now if only my local newspaper would stop littering my driveway every Tuesday morning with a special free edition.

I suggest you threaten to sue them for littering. That may be the only way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users