Photo

NO methylfolate!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

At first I was all for this, as it seems quite innocuous and a far superior form of folate. I posted in the supplements forum a while back about how the highest dose, 4.5mg, of low-dose naltrexone was giving me horrible stomach problems and an inability to wake up in the morning. It turns out that it was the combination of that and methylfolate that was causing it. Also, back when I was on Buspar, the combination of that and methylfolate made my blood flow extremely poorly. When I'd sit down to mediate, my legs would fall completely asleep within minutes.

Who knows what else it could interact with? I think this is something that shouldn't be put in, and being that I am on LDN, I will not even be able to buy this vitamin if it has it.

#2 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

I forgot to mention that combining Methylfolate with SAM-E gives me a horrible anxiety attack. There's another interaction.

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

we werent able to get 5mthf so we used folinic acid.

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

That's probably for the best, I can't get this possibility out of my head:

The low dihydrofolate reductase activity in the liver of humans compared to other animals and so the low conversion of folic acid into its active derivatives might be due to the control of this enzyme by transcription factors such as E2F-1 involved in cell proliferation. It has been suggested that "the low level of DHFR, and the other proteins under the control of E2F-1, in humans may have evolved to hinder the development of cancer. If this is the case, other animals with slow tissue turnover rates, possibly related to long life span, might also have low DHFR activity.[2]

#5 kriss66

• 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with L-Methylfolate. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
Fluorouracil because its actions and side effects may be increased
Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased, leading to increased seizure frequency

This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if L-Methylfolate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.

#6 kriss66

• 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

What other drugs will affect l-methylfolate ? :

carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol);
ethosuximide (Zarontin);
fosphenytoin (Cerebyx);
lamotrigine (Lamictal);
phenobarbital (Solfoton);
phenytoin (Dilantin);
primidone (Mysoline); or
valproic acid valproate.

Other drugs that can interact with l-methylfolate include:
birth control pills;
cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran), colestipol (Colestid);
colchicine;
isotretinoin (Accutane);
methylprednisolone (Medrol);
methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall);
pancreatin (Hi-Vegi-Lip), pancrelipase (Cotazym, Pancrease, Ultrase);
pentamidine (Nebupent);
pyrimethamine (Daraprim);
sulfasalazine (Azulfidine);
triamterene (Dyrenium);
trimethoprim (Proloprim, Bactrim, Septra); or
a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), or sulindac (Clinoril).

This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with l-methylfolate.

#7 madanthony

• 86 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:55 AM

What other drugs will affect l-methylfolate ? :

Other drugs that can interact with l-methylfolate include:
birth control pills;

Do you know how birth control pills interact with methylfolate?
Is that the same as saying that hormones react with l-methylfolate?
I have two generic enzyme mutations which prevent me from making methylfolate out of folic acid, thus causing high blood pressure which I did not have before age 50 (somehow my hormones got around these genetic problems). Know anything about that? Thanks

#8 madanthony

• 86 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:18 AM

At first I was all for this, as it seems quite innocuous and a far superior form of folate. I posted in the supplements forum a while back about how the highest dose, 4.5mg, of low-dose naltrexone was giving me horrible stomach problems and an inability to wake up in the morning. It turns out that it was the combination of that and methylfolate that was causing it. Also, back when I was on Buspar, the combination of that and methylfolate made my blood flow extremely poorly. When I'd sit down to mediate, my legs would fall completely asleep within minutes.

Who knows what else it could interact with? I think this is something that shouldn't be put in, and being that I am on LDN, I will not even be able to buy this vitamin if it has it.

It is not normal to be sensitive to methylfolate because that is the active form of the vitamin which you need. The only known at this time reason to be sensitive to methylfolate or methylcobalamin is to have a COMT +/+ or COMT +/- genetic mutation (inability to break down dopamine as quickly as others). I have a COMT +/+ genetic mutation and even I am not sensitive to these supplements. So I guess you also have to eat a lot of tyrosine.

#9 Matt79

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

Has anyone else ever experienced issues with Methylfolate and LDN? I am currently taking Methylfolate and considering taking LDN for my Rheumatoid Arthritis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users