• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Grand old lady of Indonesia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

http://www.thehindu....60955192000.htm

Some of the comments on digg are hilarious:

"Cut her in half and count her rings. We need to know her exact age."
"What's the best thing about having sex with 157 year old women? There's 157 of them?"
"Let's carbon date her"

#2 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

She has an adopted 108 year old daughter. That would be one hell of a coincidence for two unrelated centenarians to live together, unless there's something about the lifestyle.

#3 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

'Ma looks hot for one and a half century... I wonder what tretinoids she's using.

Edited by chris w, 09 June 2010 - 10:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

I thought this was probably just a hoax or an unconfirmable misunderstanding floating around in some obscure under ground sources that wasnt really taken seriously. Somebody I know mentioned this today. It makes me wonder if there is more too it. Could she possibly really be that old?

#5 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

Probably not.

#6 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I heard about similar cases and it's always in some remote areas where there wasn't any written records to back it up or it's hard to check their authenticity. Often they didn't even know when they were born so they were just guessing about their age...

This guy supposed to be even older when he died:
http://azer.com/aiwe...entenarian.html

#7 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

I thought this was probably just a hoax or an unconfirmable misunderstanding floating around in some obscure under ground sources that wasnt really taken seriously. Somebody I know mentioned this today. It makes me wonder if there is more too it. Could she possibly really be that old?

I wonder if there is any hard, tangible medical way to confirm/disprove possible cases like this, like for example extrapolating from what we know about the state of metabolism, organs etc of centenarians and then cheking if she has similar stats to what would theoritically be a centenarian's + circa 50 years of damage.

To Kolos : you know what they would probably say to this ( that's it's always somebody from a deep jungle or somewhere ) - that they live stressless lifes, good natural diet, respect from youngsters etc etc, the ussuall stuff about "what West does to its people". If she knew some confirmable first-hand details about 1883's Krakatoa eruption that would be a little argument for the truth of this, but for now I don't buy the story either way.

I found this sentence hillarious : "There's no authentic data to prove her age, but judging from her statements and the age of her adopted daughter, who's now 108 years old, it's difficult to doubt it,” Statistics Bureau official Jhonny Sardjono said". Looks like Mr Jhonny Sardjono set the gold standard of rational enquiry.

Edited by chris w, 17 June 2010 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users