Photo
- - - - -

Alcohol and nootropics

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 04:45 AM

I remember reading something to the effect that alcohol should not be used with some nootropics, but I don't remember which ones (hmmm better start my nootropic regimen soon). So which nootropics interact or could possibly interact adversely with alcohol? I think the issue might have been that the nootropic(s) potentiated alcohol's effects.

Oh and when I drink, I don't drink more then a glass or two of wine or beer.

Thanks.

• Lurker

Posted 30 August 2004 - 04:59 AM

I haven't heard of any adverse interactions between alcohol and nootropics. However if you read some old posts on the Avantlabs board regarding this, I think they included Piracetam among a list of supplements that could protect against a "morning after" hang over or at least lessen it's effects dramatically.

I would say based off of the inherent neuroprotective properties of many of these substances, you may be better off using nootropics before a night of drinking. It may not prevent you from getting drunk but it may make the whole ordeal easier on your brain.

Of course the liver will still feel the brunt of the damage from a night of heavy drinking. There are non-nootropic supplements which can alleviate some of the burden on that organ (through various ways), but alcohol in excess will do damage regardless of the precautions taken.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:29 AM

Thanks cosmos.

#4 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:32 AM

What about nootropics / alcohol and sexual performance? This weekend I "hooked up" fully loaded on my noots and a fair share of alcohol. Could this be a cause of "erectile disfunctionality"?
[huh]

• Lurker

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:41 AM

Strattera could cause sexual problems, relating to sex drive (possibly temporary erectile disfunction). Otherwise I am unsure about sexual side effects relating to nootropics, I have not heard of any as of yet, but I would not rule it out.

My own experience has shown no problems relating to sexual side effects, except for Strattera which lowered my sex drive.

Hope this helps.

#6 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:06 AM

What about nootropics / alcohol and sexual performance?  This weekend I "hooked up" fully loaded on my noots and a fair share of alcohol.  Could this be a cause of "erectile disfunctionality"?
[huh]

Hey lemon:

Who did you "hook up with" fully "loaded on the noots stack? Maybe the person you hooked up with was the cause of the "erectile disfunctionality"?

#7 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:18 AM

Nootropi... she was 36, Mexican/Irish, short (just over five feet) and had two kids...

I had [COLOR=red]alot to drink and wanted to know if my nootropic ingestion, prior to inebriation, had manifested and / or exacerbated an erectile disfunction. I feel it is a valid discussion topic.

Looking back... the outcome was favorable because A) She did not become pregnant and B) It dosn't burn when I pee! [thumb]

General Disclaimer and Warning

Alcohol, especially in large amounts over short time intervals, does not constitute a Life Extention and / or Life Enhancement strategy.

Also, bring a sober buddy to the bar to run interference in case of impaired judgement(s).

#8 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:09 AM

Nootropi... she was 36,  Mexican/Irish, short (just over five feet) and had two kids... 

I had [COLOR=red]alot to drink and wanted to know if my nootropic ingestion, prior to inebriation, had manifested and / or exacerbated an erectile disfunction.  I feel it is a valid discussion topic.

Looking back... the outcome was favorable because A) She did not become pregnant and B) It dosn't burn when I pee!  [thumb]

Alcohol, especially in large amounts over short time intervals, does not constitute a Life Extention and / or Life Enhancement strategy.

Also, bring a sober buddy to the bar to run interference in case of impaired judgement(s).

I see. I never consume alcohol. I might later in my life, but recently have become too intoxicated with life itself. I guess you could say I am "enlightened." [lol]

#9 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:56 AM

I think cerebrovasodilators and ethanol might be problematic as you could end up exposing your brain to more ethanol. Also blood thinners and ethanol are a no-no.

#10 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 05:23 AM

Nootropi... she was 36,  Mexican/Irish, short (just over five feet) and had two kids... 

I had alot to drink and wanted to know if my nootropic ingestion, prior to inebriation, had manifested and / or exacerbated an erectile disfunction.  I feel it is a valid discussion topic.

Looking back... the outcome was favorable because A) She did not become pregnant and B) It dosn't burn when I pee!  [thumb]

That is good you did not walk away with an STD. I am super psycho-crazy freaked out of STDs -- and people with them in general -- did you know that 1 in 5 people in the United States carry genital herpes?

If a woman has this disease (or genital warts, genital etc.) I won't even consider sleeping with her. I know that sounds crazy, but I am supersticious about this stuff. [glasses]

#11 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:41 AM

personally I do not like to mess up an expensive nootropic stack head with some ethanol beverages. It seems like a waste of money. Kind of like washing down your smart pills with a stupid drink.

I have noticed with piracetam that people report getting far too fast of a drunk on. It does wear off faster it seems, I guess due to increased fluid flow in the brain. The problem is not noticed as much with Aniracetam for some reason.

Also 5-HTP makes ethanol drinks more stupefying. This is all the ethanol related feedback I have recorded from users of my nootropic stack.

#12 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:09 AM

Thanks all. You've more or less validated my experience and thoughts regarding nootropics (potent cerebrovasodilaters) combined with alcohol. [thumb]

I wasn't sure because I've read that picamilion (vasodilater) and pyritinol "could help prevent and restore neurological function lost because of chronic ethanol intake" (Life Extension - Disease Prevention and Treatment Fourth Edition). But If I'm going to drink... it's probably better to just take a full complement of antioxidants before hand to partially manage the influx of free radicals and dose the nootropics afterwards.

I could say that it's best not too ever ingest alcohol but sometimes going out and cutting loose restores a needed balance. As long as you're capable of knowing your limits and not potentially getting oneself into *cough* trouble. [thumb]

I think it's unhealthy to just sit at ones computer researching supplements and nootropics whilst ingesting a bucket of them (and yes nootropi... I'm talking to you... but I mean it in a playfull way of course!) :)

#13 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:39 AM

[quote name='lemon']Thanks all.  You've more or less validated my experience and thoughts regarding nootropics (potent cerebrovasodilaters) combined with alcohol.    [thumb]

I wasn't sure because I've read that picamilion (vasodilater) and pyritinol "could help prevent and restore neurological function lost because of chronic ethanol intake" (Life Extension - Disease Prevention and Treatment Fourth Edition).  But If I'm going to drink... it's probably better to just take a full complement of antioxidants before hand to partially manage the influx of free radicals and dose the nootropics afterwards. 

I could say that it's best not too ever ingest alcohol but sometimes going out and cutting loose restores a needed balance.  As long as you're capable of knowing your limits and not potentially getting oneself into *cough* trouble.  [thumb]

I think it's unhealthy to just sit at ones computer researching supplements and nootropics whilst ingesting a bucket of them (and yes nootropi... I'm talking to you... but I mean it in a playfull way of course!)  :)[/quote]

Alcohol has two main effects on humans:

1. Decreases sensititivy to social cueing.
2. Increases verbal facility

I like this quote from Terence Mckenna:

[quote name='http://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/mckenna_terence/mckenna_terence_interview_1993.shtml']Alcohol lowers sensitivity to social cueing while it increases a false sense of verbal facility. So, it sets the stage for boorish behavior. From that comes the suppression of women as part of this bronze-tipped spear/grain surplus/city-building kingship/standing armies/turf-defending mentality that we find in the so-called proto-civilizations.[/quote]

Personally, I like it when a woman's mentality is suppressive of the male primal instinct; for I believe it is male dominance that has ruined much of our planet.

#14 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:44 AM

And no, just because I like Terence Mckenna theory on mushrooms and evolution (it is well thought out and makes a lot of practical sense in explaining human evolution; try reading Terence Mckenna's: "Food of the Gods"), that does not mean that I advocate orgiastic behavior.

Read this clip

#15 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:55 AM

Ethanol is sinister.

From LEF magazine:
"rats fed a liquid diet containing moderate amounts of ethanol for six weeks had a 66.3% decrease in the number of new neurons and a 227-279% increase in cell death in the dentate gyrus as compared to rats fed an alcohol free diet. The dentate gyrus is part of the brains hippocampus, an integral part of our memory systems"

This can be prevented by supplementing with antioxidants.

Full Study:

http://www.pnas.org/...ull/100/13/7919

Selective impairment of hippocampal neurogenesis by chronic alcoholism: Protective effects of an antioxidant

Daniel G. Herrera * {dagger} {ddagger}, Almudena G. Yagüe {dagger} §, Siv Johnsen-Soriano ¶, Francisco Bosch-Morell ¶, Lucía Collado-Morente *, Maria Muriach ¶, Francisco J. Romero ¶ and J. Manuel García-Verdugo §

*Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021; §Department of Cell Biology, University of Valencia, Burjassot, 46100 Valencia, Spain; and ¶Department of Physiology, Pharmacology, and Toxicology, Universidad Cardenal Herrera-Centro de Estudios Universitarios, Edificio Seminario s/n 46113 Moncada, Spain

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:16 AM

I remember in high school (when I was first exposed to MacKenna's ideas) I witnessed proof that concurred with MacKenna's view that most women have their "first sexual imprinting in an atmosphere of alcohol." I was mature for my age, and very spiritual.

I would go to "parties" (mostly gathered around 'kegs') and laugh when I would see this type of activity; namely several intelligent, astute young women getting intoxicated on alcohol and all of the sudden "in need" of sexual attention; it seemed that before the alcohol induced intoxication the sexual attraction element was not exposed. Then the young woman (or women) would become very demanding and submissive. I grew up with a great respect for intelligent women; so I was naturally uncomfortable with this scenario. But I would entertain the young woman, often by asking her questions about her sexual history; and (my favorite question) if I reminded her of her father. This naturally made her uncomfortable. Then often her "boyfriend" would appear; and he would be ready to "engage" me (he often thought I was "hitting on her;" -- this happened more than once). Then I would tell him (or he would find out) that I did not touch his girlfriend. At that point of my life (when I found myself at a lot of such "parties;" I already had a "girlfriend:" and in general, I would hope not find myself or her in the equivalent scenario).

Now, when I see people using alcohol to "relax," I see it more as a narcotic (not to mention, one that makes it hard to get it "up"). If I find myself attracted to a woman, alcohol would reduce my ability to "satsify" her; however, I would ejaculate much earlier and feel better about it.

Now that I am older, I would consider drinking a bit of alcohol, maybe a gram (or two) of phenibut; but only with the woman I love.

[thumb]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users